Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-25-2012, 7:46 PM

Default Any pump shotgun owners here with a surefire forend I need some advice

Well I have a mossberg 500 with a hogue 13 lop stock so far and I want to add a light and I have been looking into the surefire forends.Are they worth the cash the cheapest I found one for was for about 280$.Also how are the ergonomics on them I have really big hands so the regular mossberg forend isn't cutting it I think the surefire will be fit my hands great.thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

You get what you pay for. A Surefire forend was designed to stand up to the recoil of a 12ga. The only downside I have encountered with mine is the hump smacking my hand until I learned to grip the forend a little further back.

There are lots of options that will work for mounting a light on a shotgun, but the Surefire forend is the best one.

Last edited by cindynles; 09-25-2012 at 9:21 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 9:34 PM

Yes, yes it is, like cindy said above you do have to hold a little farther back.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
You get what you pay for. A Surefire forend was designed to stand up to the recoil of a 12ga. The only downside I have encountered with mine is the hump smacking my hand until I learned to grip the forend a little further back.

There are lots of options that will work for mounting a light on a shotgun, but the Surefire forend is the best one.
I see you have an older surefire fire forend .I think I'm gonna make the plunge and go for it I have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Have you consider the streamlight forend? they don't look as cool as surefire but they are cheaper and look more comfortable to hold
Old 09-26-2012, 6:52 AM

EOTech is making a simular forend. Whatever you choose make sure it's an LED light.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 09-26-2012, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2integra View Post
I see you have an older surefire fire forend .I think I'm gonna make the plunge and go for it I have heard nothing but good things about them.
Yeah, they quit making them for Ithaca's a long time ago. The model number doesn't exist anymore. But 12 years and 1000+ rounds later its still working (orginal bulb too).

Old 09-26-2012, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
Yeah, they quit making them for Ithaca's a long time ago. The model number doesn't exist anymore. But 12 years and 1000+ rounds later its still working (orginal bulb too).

That's good to hear that light has held up that long.as far as for the eotech I'm gonna stick with surefire I like how it looks and it's has been around for a wholesale and the eotech light just came out.
Old 09-26-2012, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have surefire foregrips on my benelli M1 and 870. 590 would have one but I would have to hack the bayo lug off of it which I didn't want to do. I did have to learn to grip a tad further back on the foregrip but it wasn't too much of an issue. I have no complaints and I believe having a quality light on your home defense firearm is a must. I would hate to need it and not have it or have it fail. 300 bucks is a small price to pay in a situation if you were to unfortunately need it. Surefire is the most durable setup I have seen. I also like the light on the bottom so you can transition around corners without potentially blocking the light for cover. With the light sticking forward(6v version), you also cast less of a shadow than say a TLR on a railed foregrip. If you mount a TLR, it will likely be on the side(due to switch operation) so you will have a large shadow from the barrel and extension tube on one side which kills your situational awareness. I rather have a slight shadow above the hot spot at what I am pointing at and have the flood light up the surroundings. Not to knock the TLR at all. It is a great light for the price. I just think they perform better on handguns. To sum it up. A light is a must. I believe a surefire is worth the 300 bucks simply for its design, durability and decent ammount of light it puts out(180 Lumens).
Kevin
Old 09-26-2012, 2:00 PM

I have the Surefire 618LMG for my 870 and it has held up to hundreds of rounds so far. I too have the problem with the holding too far out on the fore-end and the hump hitting my hand, after a day of shooting it'll leave your index finger tender/bruised. I bought the 618 because it was 2 cell/200 lumens, but for home defense/inside work, the 318 is more than enough with 100 lumens and it'll be a little bit lighter too.
Old 09-26-2012, 5:32 PM
Calguns Addict

My 870P has a Sure Fire fore end. Definitely worth every penny of the investment.

EO Tech has a dedicated unit for 870 or Mossberg 500, and I'm seeing those on line at $249.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 09-26-2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
The only downside I have encountered with mine is the hump smacking my hand until I learned to grip the forend a little further back.
The nice thing about the more recent models is they have a rubber surface area towards the rear which makes getting a grip purchase easier. I agree with you as I used to have an older model SF weaponlight and had the same problems. When I had the Knoxx stock they actually recommend holding towards the rear as well since the stock affected the felt recoil and it seemed the rear lamp housing would smack your hand just like you mentioned.
Old 09-26-2012, 8:18 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention, my 618 casts a shadow from the sling attachment point off the swivel stud on my +2 extension. An easy fix would be to take a dremel to it, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
I have surefire foregrips on my benelli M1 and 870. 590 would have one but I would have to hack the bayo lug off of it which I didn't want to do. I did have to learn to grip a tad further back on the foregrip but it wasn't too much of an issue. I have no complaints and I believe having a quality light on your home defense firearm is a must. I would hate to need it and not have it or have it fail. 300 bucks is a small price to pay in a situation if you were to unfortunately need it. Surefire is the most durable setup I have seen. I also like the light on the bottom so you can transition around corners without potentially blocking the light for cover. With the light sticking forward(6v version), you also cast less of a shadow than say a TLR on a railed foregrip. If you mount a TLR, it will likely be on the side(due to switch operation) so you will have a large shadow from the barrel and extension tube on one side which kills your situational awareness. I rather have a slight shadow above the hot spot at what I am pointing at and have the flood light up the surroundings. Not to knock the TLR at all. It is a great light for the price. I just think they perform better on handguns. To sum it up. A light is a must. I believe a surefire is worth the 300 bucks simply for its design, durability and decent ammount of light it puts out(180 Lumens).
Kevin
Old 09-27-2012, 8:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can see that the sling stud and sling can get in the way. I don't run any slings on my shotgun and if I did, it would likely be a single point. For a HD setup, I found that if you make the front end too busy, you can easily get hung up when reloading and pumping.
Kevin
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM

I don't run a sling for that exact reason, but I still don't want to dremel it off just yet. Main reason is I'm considering selling it and getting a +1 extension from Wilson combat and it has a side sling mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
I can see that the sling stud and sling can get in the way. I don't run any slings on my shotgun and if I did, it would likely be a single point. For a HD setup, I found that if you make the front end too busy, you can easily get hung up when reloading and pumping.
Kevin
Old 09-27-2012, 4:34 PM

I just found a SF forend on eBay for 250$ new it's only the 100 lumens though.
Old 09-27-2012, 5:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Watch out for knock offs.
Old 09-28-2012, 7:12 AM

I've had a surefire light on my 1300 Defender since '99. They've changed the design a couple of times since and from what I understand, those changes included several improvements to the handling and robustness of their system.

Here's what appeals to me on that system: The switch is always under your fingertips, regardless which shoulder you're firing from and the system is to rugged that you can hit an attacker over the head with it and it will still work to blind his partner.... well, you get the idea.

The light on my 1300 has been banged into stuff and seen pretty rough use in classes as well as teaching with it/getting handled by my students and it has never let me down.

There are few items that have a high price tag and are really worth it - Surefire is one of them.