Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-23-2017, 5:37 PM

Default ENGRAVING COSTS!!! BEWARE!!!

I thought that I would get a jump on the engraving of my two AR rifle lowers. In Sept. I was in contact with Jeff P. via email. I was told it was ok to send three, two were mine and one was my brother in laws and a check for the payment in the box. My brother in law took until the middle of Oct to strip his lower and then I sent them to 89% for engraving. I printed the paper which appears on their site with the proper engraving for each lower. I put each paper in each box with the serial number, caliber, city and state and who made the lower. I sent them at the end of October through UPS. I read that the lowers had to be insured and a required signature so I sent them UPS which costs me $22.35. I was notified by 80% that I did the whole thing wrong. 1.) You can't print the sheets but you have to fill out the sheets and add them to your cart. 2,) Even though Jeff P. said I could enclose a check, they not don't accept checks but you have to pay for your cart with either a credit card or a money order.3.) They were sending them back to me via UPS store that I sent them from, which they did BUTT the local UPS store cannot accept them because 80% Arms only ships USPS and UPS cannot accept them so the local UPS Store had to send them back. Then 80% arms is charging me $16.08 to ship them back to the local UPS store via UPS. When the package arrived at the UPS store they called me to pick up the Package. I went to the UPS store and it cost me another $5.00 because I didn't have a mail box with them. All the shipping came to almost $40.00 and the lowers are not engraved. Guess I will try to engrave them myself with my dremel. Just thought you should know so it doesn't cost you like it did me, the aggravation was severe. If you have them do the engraving beware and check with their site and also check with their customer service that you are doing it right and be sure to send the USPS so when they send it back it will be sent to your home address. That was my issue. UPS store had my name but their address. When I gave them my credit card for return postage, I asked why they couldn't send it to my home and because the package had the UPS store address that was where they had to send it, BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE OH, AND JEFF P. NO LONGER WORKS THERE, CONVIENENT!!!
Old 11-23-2017, 5:43 PM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sounds like JeffK works there now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-23-2017, 6:02 PM
In Memoriam

Is there a reason you are not having them engraved at the local trophy shop?
Old 11-23-2017, 6:14 PM

anybody in the Sacramento area doing engraving and know the regs for it?

In this life you either push or get shoved.

Better to die on your feet then live on your knees.

For evil to succeed, all it takes is for good men to do nothing.
Old 11-23-2017, 7:08 PM

Last edited by Ej6fade; 02-28-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Old 11-23-2017, 7:18 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej6fade View Post
P&L engraving in el monte is who you seek...
+1 for P&L Engraving.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-23-2017, 7:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I had no issues with http://vadertactical.com/about/ (Forum Member)
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 11-23-2017, 8:03 PM

Exclamation Beware!

Block o text!

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." - Homer
Old 11-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy80176 View Post
Block o text!
Yeah Tough Read

NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
USPSA Life Member
GOC Member
NASAR Member
Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 PM

Paragraphs?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:48 PM

Bring them by my shop. I'll engrave them wail you wait.
(209) 263-0010
www.carrillocustomsinc.com
Old 11-24-2017, 12:11 AM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74man View Post
I thought that I would get a jump on the engraving of my two AR rifle lowers. In Sept. I was in contact with Jeff P. via email. I was told it was ok to send three, two were mine and one was my brother in laws and a check for the payment in the box. My brother in law took until the middle of Oct to strip his lower and then I sent them to 89% for engraving.

I printed the paper which appears on their site with the proper engraving for each lower. I put each paper in each box with the serial number, caliber, city and state and who made the lower. I sent them at the end of October through UPS. I read that the lowers had to be insured and a required signature so I sent them UPS which costs me $22.35.

I was notified by 80% that I did the whole thing wrong. 1.) You can't print the sheets but you have to fill out the sheets and add them to your cart. 2,) Even though Jeff P. said I could enclose a check, they not don't accept checks but you have to pay for your cart with either a credit card or a money order.3.) They were sending them back to me via UPS store that I sent them from, which they did BUTT the local UPS store cannot accept them because 80% Arms only ships USPS and UPS cannot accept them so the local UPS Store had to send them back.

Then 80% arms is charging me $16.08 to ship them back to the local UPS store via UPS. When the package arrived at the UPS store they called me to pick up the Package. I went to the UPS store and it cost me another $5.00 because I didn't have a mail box with them. All the shipping came to almost $40.00 and the lowers are not engraved. Guess I will try to engrave them myself with my dremel. Just thought you should know so it doesn't cost you like it did me, the aggravation was severe.

If you have them do the engraving beware and check with their site and also check with their customer service that you are doing it right and be sure to send the USPS so when they send it back it will be sent to your home address. That was my issue. UPS store had my name but their address. When I gave them my credit card for return postage, I asked why they couldn't send it to my home and because the package had the UPS store address that was where they had to send it, BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE OH, AND JEFF P. NO LONGER WORKS THERE, CONVIENENT!!!
Quote:
Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 11-24-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARRILLO CUSTOMS INC. View Post
Bring them by my shop. I'll engrave them wail you wait.
This guy does great work!
Old 11-24-2017, 9:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74man;20942373
I thought that I would get a jump on the engraving of my two AR rifle lowers.
In Sept. I was in contact with Jeff P. via email. I was told it was ok to send three, two were mine and one was my brother in laws and a check for the payment in the box.
My brother in law took until the middle of Oct to strip his lower and then I sent them to 89% for engraving.
I printed the paper which appears on their site with the proper engraving for each lower.
I put each paper in each box with the serial number, caliber, city and state and who made the lower.
I sent them at the end of October through UPS.
I read that the lowers had to be insured and a required signature so I sent them UPS which costs me $22.35.
I was notified by 80% that I did the whole thing wrong. 1.) You can't print the sheets but you have to fill out the sheets and add them to your cart. 2,)
Even though Jeff P. said I could enclose a check, they not don't accept checks but you have to pay for your cart with either a credit card or a money order.3.)
They were sending them back to me via UPS store that I sent them from, which they did BUTT the local UPS store cannot accept them because 80% Arms only ships USPS and UPS cannot accept them so the local UPS Store had to send them back.
Then 80% arms is charging me $16.08 to ship them back to the local UPS store via UPS. When the package arrived at the UPS store they called me to pick up the Package.
I went to the UPS store and it cost me another $5.00 because I didn't have a mail box with them.
All the shipping came to almost $40.00 and the lowers are not engraved. Guess I will try to engrave them myself with my dremel.
Just thought you should know so it doesn't cost you like it did me, the aggravation was severe.
If you have them do the engraving beware and check with their site and also check with their customer service that you are doing it right and be sure to send the USPS so when they send it back it will be sent to your home address.
That was my issue. UPS store had my name but their address. When I gave them my credit card for return postage, I asked why they couldn't send it to my home and because the package had the UPS store address that was where they had to send it,
BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE OH, AND JEFF P. NO LONGER WORKS THERE, CONVIENENT!!!

I changed it some to make it readable.

Although I don't know who 89% is, and he does say 80% Arms, we'll assume this is 80% arms.

So...you didn't buy the engraving service online, didn't fill out the area required on the page for the engraving online, BUT...you just went ahead and shipped your stuff there with a check from something you printed from the website ??

If you have emails telling you to do this, I suggest you show them to 80% arms, to recoup some shipping costs.

Which then brings up the other weird thing....didn't you verify where things are being sent from and shipped to before you pay ??

I mean when you shipped it from the UPS store...why would you use their address for anything ??
Because IF there is a problem...it won't go to your house....because you chose to let them use their address for a return address.

So....there we are. Seems like nobody scammed you at all.
And no reason to bad mouth 80% Arms or UPS either.
It would seem you failed to follow the procedure that is on 80% arms website.
You didn't verify the address where anything was going to be returned if there was a problem.

And there it is folks.

_
Old 11-25-2017, 8:49 AM

AR- you have it almost right. Yes, I did print the order form by notice of Jeff P. and followed his instructions but that was in September and I didn't ship the items until late October.
By this time 80% had changed everything concerning their engraving proceedure. Jeff P. said I could ship them but their website only said "SHIP INSURED AND SIGNATURE REQUIRED". The website didn't notify you that they could only ship to the return address on the package so I thought they would ship to my home, but that was not to be. Even when I paid them to ship them back using UPS they could only ship to the store I sent it from even though I supplied my home address, what a rip off!!
I didn't know at the time you could ship USPS using your home address, nothing on the website to the contrary. By the time I sent the package the website changed and it was my fault I didn't check back but it had changed.
I had ordered my Lowers and the Milling kit from them for almost $700.00. Being a customer didn't change anything when I talked to them. The change included that you could not pay by check but either a credit card of money order and I included my check with the shipment. Lets say it was a $40.00 lesson learned.
Old 11-25-2017, 7:59 PM

Get an engraving pencil or hand engraver and just take your time,practice your tatoo talent...

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 11-26-2017, 2:44 PM

I have tried that and maybe in my younger years I probably could have done the engraving myself, now I have bad eyes and unsteady hands. There is nothing in the Cal. State Regs. which doesn't say I can't. I have tried it with my dremel engraving bit, doesn't look good at all. I have worked with aluminum all my metal working career but it looks pretty bad when I try to do it myself. Don't mind paying someone who has a lazer engraver. I will check out our local engraving shop, they show a lower on their catalog site and if I stay with the lower they don't have to have an FFL to engrave it while I wait. I hope they can do it for a reasonable price. Thanks for the idea, it had already crossed my mind.