Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-15-2018, 1:12 PM

Default Cloud storage - lot of data *Update post #29

Looking for recommendations for cloud storage for a large amount of data, like 12-15 TB. I have data that I want to keep basically forever so having multiple copies in different locations is what I want, to ensure it's never lost. I currently have a 5-bay NAS and 16-bay SAN at home which provide disk and data redundancy, along with external USB drives. I am also renting a Hetzner dedicated server in Germany with 16 TB of storage for about $50 per month. Thinking about a secondary off site location but not sure if I'll find a better deal than the Hetzner server. I've looked at Amazon Glacier but it looks like it would cost about the same, plus they charge more when you want to download data, which is not ideal, though I guess it could work as a last resort restore.

Anybody use a cloud provider which provides the amount of storage I'm looking for for about the same price ($50/mo)?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 8:48 PM

Im interested in what you find. I have about 10gb stored on a synology diskstation here at home with a redundant backup stored offsite. I'd like a cloud backup as well.
Old 08-15-2018, 8:59 PM

Find a friend with gigabit fiber to the home and pay them to store a NAS at their place.

Then, if you needed the data, you can just go physically get it and you'll avoid $600/yr in costs.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 PM

Is the data the same or something that uodates often? Can always put it on a couple hard drive and store them off site.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 6:18 AM

6 cores, 6gb memory, unlimited domains, unmetered storage and bandwidth for $10/month at Hostgator.

I've been a customer of theirs since November 2002, they have always treated me well and have provided great service.
Old 08-16-2018, 7:26 AM

Still the cheapest and most reliable way to archive that amount of data is on tape: rotating out a copy weekly to offsite storage, keeping a close eye on tape longevity and write cycles while performing test restores to verify integrity.
Old 08-16-2018, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveRN View Post
6 cores, 6gb memory, unlimited domains, unmetered storage and bandwidth for $10/month at Hostgator.

I've been a customer of theirs since November 2002, they have always treated me well and have provided great service.
I was curious about that "unmetered storage" statement so I checked out the website:

Quote:
How much disk space and bandwidth will my plan include?

Diskspace and Bandwidth is " Unmetered" which means you are not charged according to the amount of diskspace or bandwidth you use.

However, that being said, we do require all customers to be fully compliant with our Terms of Service and to only utilize disk space and bandwidth in the normal operation of a personal or small business website.
I'm pretty sure if you put several TB of data up there for non-public archival purposes, they would probably audit it and say it violated their TOS.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 08-16-2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I was curious about that "unmetered storage" statement so I checked out the website:

I'm pretty sure if you put several TB of data up there for non-public archival purposes, they would probably audit it and say it violated their TOS.
I don't use their cloud service, but instead use their web site services with unmetered disk space. I've got a little more than 2TB of data up there now of mostly photos and documents. They haven't said anything to me about it.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Anyone have any experience with Backblaze?
Old 08-16-2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Is the data the same or something that uodates often? Can always put it on a couple hard drive and store them off site.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
Most of it is static data, so not going to change. I actually am going to copy the static data in chunks to individual internal hard drives and store them somewhere, since I have quite a few of those laying around. Maybe look into a safe deposit box at my bank.

For the dynamic data I'll just stick with my onsite storage and remote server, since 3 copies of that stuff should be plenty.

Old 08-16-2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
It's worth looking into, but you're probably right. That seems pretty cheap for "unlimited" storage. I'm sure they have some process to check the type of data and how often it's changed or accessed. I would hate to go through the effort of uploading 10 TB of data only to have it wiped out.

Old 08-16-2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
Anyone have any experience with Backblaze?
Heard of it, don't know much about it.

Old 08-17-2018, 5:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I personally don't trust providers for data storage.
If they get acquired, like so many companies do... then is the TOS still valid?
Can the new company lick your data for photos of your daughter, lady, mom, etc?
Share it?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:21 AM

What tools do you use to perform incremental backup?
That might influence selection of the service. You've ruled out Amazon Glacier but using that as an example you need to use their proprietary tools. I think they have a S3 interface but you still couldn't use it with something like rsync.

I'm interested in what you end up discovering. I'm not properly making that third offsite backup either.
Old 08-17-2018, 6:04 PM

How about a free ZIP drive, where you can store 250 MB at a time?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1461912
Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

12 - 15 TB!?! Dang, that’s quite a pron collection.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
How about a free ZIP drive, where you can store 250 MB at a time?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1461912
12-15tb on 250mb ZIP disks?
That's like 1996 when we gave up on floppy backups because it took a file cabinet full to back up a hard drive.

15tb = 15,000,000,000,000 / 250,000,000
1,500,000 / 25
60,000 ZIP disks?
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
12 - 15 TB!?! Dang, that’s quite a pron collection.
In 1996, if you had told me that in 2018 I'd be walking around with 64gb on my keyring, I'd have asked you what you were smoking and where could I get some.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:26 PM

If you had told me in '96 that in 2018 my cell phone wouldn't be a 5lb brick, and it would have 10x the storage of a high end workstation with an always-on highly-reliable 100Mb/s direct internet connection, I'd have said WTF do I have to wait nearly 25 years to get there.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
In 1996, if you had told me that in 2018 I'd be walking around with 64gb on my keyring, I'd have asked you what you were smoking and where could I get some.
Seriously, I bought my first PC in 1997 I think, came with a 2 GB hard drive and that was YUGE! Now I have a 256 GB micro SD card smaller than a dime in my phone and tablet. Just think where we'll be in another 20 years.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Seriously, I bought my first PC in 1997 I think, came with a 2 GB hard drive and that was YUGE! Now I have a 256 GB micro SD card smaller than a dime in my phone and tablet. Just think where we'll be in another 20 years.
Built my first one around '88... 64meg drive that cost me $600.
$1200 for the 9600HST modem.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2018, 7:56 AM

Quote:
12-15tb on 250mb ZIP disks?
That's like 1996 when we gave up on floppy backups because it took a file cabinet full to back up a hard drive.

15tb = 15,000,000,000,000 / 250,000,000
1,500,000 / 25
60,000 ZIP disks?
LOL!
Sorry there's only 4 included in the free deal.
Old 08-18-2018, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

You're better off buying your own NAS. Mine even has remote capability so it becomes my personal cloud storage. I'd dont use that feature because my internet is too limited and I know too much about cyber security.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 08-18-2018, 2:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
Sorry there's only 4 included in the free deal.
I still have a few around here, but they are only 100mb
I really need to toss some of this old stuff.

Know anyone that needs a couple of sticks of 256mb DDR or a 20 year old AMD Socket-A chip?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMD-New.jpg (84.0 KB, 145 views)

Quote:
Old 08-18-2018, 2:53 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
You're better off buying your own NAS. Mine even has remote capability so it becomes my personal cloud storage. I'd dont use that feature because my internet is too limited and I know too much about cyber security.
Security is the thing.
The Western Digital "MyCloud" are inexpensive and attractive, but the older (not that old, only a year or so) white ones use Apache.
I don't know what the new ones use.
I have two, one I use for personal files and one for work, but neither contain anything private or proprietary.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2018, 2:58 PM

If you simply want backup and it has to be in the cloud Amazon Glacier is about as cheap as you’re going to find if you’re in the 12-15 TB range. It’s WAY expensive if you need to access the data frequently, or even somewhat frequently. But if you just want to upload and then only access it in a DR event then it’s pretty darn cheap. There are lots of cheaper cloud solutions but not once you get into the TB range.
Old 08-18-2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Security is the thing.
The Western Digital "MyCloud" are inexpensive and attractive, but the older (not that old, only a year or so) white ones use Apache.
I don't know what the new ones use.
I have two, one I use for personal files and one for work, but neither contain anything private or proprietary.
I have an enterprise class Cisco ASA at home in my server rack, so anything I choose to open up to the outside will be passed through that, and security is extremely tight, so I'm not worried about that. I'm not planning to allow direct access to any of my storage devices.

Old 08-18-2018, 7:21 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I have an enterprise class Cisco ASA at home in my server rack, so anything I choose to open up to the outside will be passed through that, and security is extremely tight, so I'm not worried about that. I'm not planning to allow direct access to any of my storage devices.
I'm stuck having at least one device available that we use for work.
We need a convenient way for our field guys to upload photos and retrieve plans and timing tables without going through the hassle of an RSA login to the main network (a couple of these guys couldn't handle an RSA login with a coach sitting next to them, much less on a smartphone.)

We used to use Dropbox, but I didn't realize that each person using my space had their uploads count against their own quota... was going to upgrade to the business plan, then IT changed some of their policies and our in-house machines no longer sync with Dropbox, Google, etc...

Quote:
Old 08-18-2018, 7:34 PM

Well I think I have it mostly figured out. I just purchased 5 new 2 TB drives for my QNAP NAS (it's a few years old and 2 TB drives is the max it supports) which I'll configure as a RAID 5 volume, that will give me 8 TB with some disk redundancy. I also purchased an 8 TB USB HDD, so between those 2 devices I can store 2 copies of most of my long term data as live data. I also have a 3 TB USB HDD which I can use to store more data, and I can replicate as much of my data off-site to my Hetzner server since it has 12 TB of usable storage space. Can't use all of it though because I'm also utilizing it as a seedbox and Plex server. I also have over 15 TB combined of individual internal HDDs which I'll use to store static data as archived and possibly get a bank deposit box to store them outside my home. I can also utilize the 16-bay SAN in my server rack for an additional volume if needed.

Regarding cloud backup, looks like IDrive is a pretty good deal. Normal price for 5 TB of cloud storage is $100/year, so less than $10 per month. Since they offer a flat 50% discount for students with an edu email address and I still have my alumni email address, I should be able to use that and get the 5 TB for $50/year. Plus it's unlimited devices and they have Android and iPhone apps, so I can use it to back up pictures on my phone which is nice. Looks like automating cloud replication works well with the desktop software.

https://www.idrive.com/pricing

Old 08-19-2018, 8:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Regarding cloud backup, looks like IDrive is a pretty good deal. Normal price for 5 TB of cloud storage is $100/year, so less than $10 per month. Since they offer a flat 50% discount for students with an edu email address and I still have my alumni email address, I should be able to use that and get the 5 TB for $50/year. Plus it's unlimited devices and they have Android and iPhone apps, so I can use it to back up pictures on my phone which is nice. Looks like automating cloud replication works well with the desktop software.

https://www.idrive.com/pricing
I've been pretty happy with idrive and will likely stay until they decide to raise their prices. Unlike pure online storage service idrive storage encrypted.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 08-20-2018, 12:46 AM

If your university/alumni email is based on Gmail you might have free unlimited Google drive storage. From my experience, 3rd party applications don't work, but you can encrypt, zip, and send it.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsulphur View Post
If your university/alumni email is based on Gmail you might have free unlimited Google drive storage. From my experience, 3rd party applications don't work, but you can encrypt, zip, and send it.
I prefer not to use Google for my personal storage needs, for many reasons. I like Idrive because of the price, integration with Windows and ability to easily back up my phone as well. I'm going to give them a shot.

Also plan to encrypt sensitive personal data with my own key prior to backing up in the cloud. Being an experienced network engineer I'm pretty conscious of security.

Old 08-20-2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
See, it's this kind of thinking that makes people think that the Founding Fathers couldn't have imagined an AR15 (they totally could have).

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if in 10 years, my laptop has ~200TB of persistent RAM instead of a hard drive. Maybe sooner.
Old 08-20-2018, 4:11 PM

By the way, as far as the problem, basically what you're looking for is S3 Glacier, or equivalents. I'd be willing to bet most major cloud providers (Azure, Glacier, Digital Ocean, etc) provide something functionally similar to glacier, albeit with slightly different performance and pricing options. Basically, check a few to see what they offer.

Or you could the Al-Qaeda solution and steganographically embed your data in porn films and share them via bittorrent.
Old 08-20-2018, 4:57 PM

I store my AR in the cloud.
Old 08-21-2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
Or you could the Al-Qaeda solution and steganographically embed your data in porn films and share them via bittorrent.
Hmmm, that's actually not a bad idea...

Old 08-23-2018, 3:01 PM

I just got a smoking deal on an IDrive account, 90% off the first year, $6.95 for 5 TB storage for switching from another cloud storage provider, Dropbox. Of course I had to pay for Dropbox plus to make it happen, which was $9.99, but overall still way cheaper than their EDU discount.

Old 08-23-2018, 8:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I just got a smoking deal on an IDrive account, 90% off the first year, $6.95 for 5 TB storage for switching from another cloud storage provider, Dropbox. Of course I had to pay for Dropbox plus to make it happen, which was $9.99, but overall still way cheaper than their EDU discount.

Is idrive a true backup solution? or is it cloud storage like Google drive and dropbox?

I use backblaze because it keeps file versions and changes for as long as you want and does incremental backups. First backup took a week each backup since takes 15 minutes
With Drive or Dropbox if you get hit with a virus that encrypts your files you're done your backups are encrypted too and youre locked out.
Old 08-23-2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac398 View Post
Is idrive a true backup solution? or is it cloud storage like Google drive and dropbox?

I use backblaze because it keeps file versions and changes for as long as you want and does incremental backups. First backup took a week each backup since takes 15 minutes
With Drive or Dropbox if you get hit with a virus that encrypts your files you're done your backups are encrypted too and youre locked out.
Idrive has a backup agent. They are fine. The only issue is when you need to restore anything substantial they will throttle your restore down. We use to use them and stopped after having poor recovery experiences. Other than that they are cheap and work fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac398 View Post

I haven't had a chance to use it yet as I just signed up yesterday, but from what I've read it seems to be one of the more capable and fully featured cloud storage solutions. I'm pretty particular about what I'll be storing on the drive so it'll probably be more of a manual process for me. I also keep backups locally, this will just be further redundancy for me, most likely a last resort restore option.