Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-08-2018, 1:27 AM
Veteran Member

Default Anybody use Google Wifi?

I was thinking about getting the 3-pack of Google wifi pucks to extend coverage to back yard. I have a little over 9,000 square feet lot. Wifii in the house and on the back patio is fine, but not so good in the upper most part of the backyard.

I have access to an electrical outlet in the backyard from the backside of the garage if I need to plug in a Google puck. Wondering if there is a battery pack than can power the puck.

Anyone using Google Wifi?

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

I been using the 3 pod gadget for over a month now and I'm very pleased. My old unit bit the dust and I had to replace it. I live in a long ranch style house, with my modem at one end and internet needs far away. I tried 2 or 3 different wifi's but none would do the job So I returned them at Best Buy and got the Google system.. Set up is easy and the phone app is the cats meow.
Good luck,
Motodoc42
Old 07-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

I keep hearing Eero is good, but I have not used either.

I have an older AC1750 router and added a $50 extension that cover 5k sq feet. That's another way to go that doesn't cost $300-$500 - works great.

TP-LINK RE450 are the units I typically run in a couple places to extend range.

If you can get away with $50, why not? I realize some larger sprawling installs call for more range, but I know many people who spend too much IMHO.
Old 07-10-2018, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been using Google WiFi (3-puck set) for a couple of months and can easily say it's the the best wireless I've ever had. I've had a lot of different single and multi-router setups over the years and this one gives me the fastest speeds and the best area coverage I've ever experienced. I can't recommend it more highly.

Old 07-10-2018, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I think even Xfinity / Comcast has a wireless puck system they put their label on now. They also have powerline modules as part of that system to reach tough areas like basements. Not that Xfinity has the best hardware, hahah... but the new modem I just got is pretty good even though my area is not at a gig yet.

IMHO, a powerline adapter or two is also a great solution for some people. Especially if you want a connection with the stability of a wired ethernet connection.
Old 07-10-2018, 9:32 AM

I've been using the Google Wifi system almost since it was released. I currently have my original google wifi router, and added 3 pucks to it to place in each bedroom upstairs. When anyone asks me about their wifi issues I usually recommend them Google Wifi and they have almost always loved the system.

To answer the OP, I do not believe there is a battery system that would work with the google wifi without an AC/DC converter. The wifi pucks are designed to run off AC power systems -- batteries are DC.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:41 AM

I purchased and installed the 3-pack of TP-Link Decos about a year ago. Did a lot of digging on comparison of quality, range, cost, etc. Deco seemed to be the best bang for my buck. I don't have any experience with the other players in this market, so I can't say which is better, and I know you are specifically asking about Google. I would really be interested in seeing a good comparison.

I've been very happy with Deco.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Hell no!
Old 07-28-2018, 2:00 PM

A cheaper alternative is upgrading the antennas.
Old 07-28-2018, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Love Google Wifi.
Super easy to set up, and you can control everything from your phone.
3 pucks is more than enough for my 2 story home.
There may be systems that are faster or cheaper, but Google Wifi is the best for me.
Old 07-29-2018, 1:18 PM

I have the Netgear Orbi 2 unit– it is excellent. I also hear good things about the Eero. Google not so much.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...tworking-kits/
Old 08-18-2018, 6:49 PM

Ive used the 3 pack for several months now in a 2800 square foot home. Im very happy with it. No coverage issues and no resetting anything. It just works.
Old 08-19-2018, 5:44 AM

I bought the 3 pack Google WiFi for my parents place during the Amazon sale a few months ago. My parents home is only 1,220 sq ft but there is a huge dead spot by the front door/garage. Something over there is killing WiFi signal. Its not an issue now and both my Ring devices has no issues with WiFi.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM

4 pack on sale right now at Costco for $279. Quick and easy setup and now we have excellent coverage throughout the house.

Old 08-28-2018, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomegalodon View Post
4 pack on sale right now at Costco for $279. Quick and easy setup and now we have excellent coverage throughout the house.
I was Costco on Sunday and saw the sale. It was very tempting, but I'm kinda broke right now. They had plenty, but the sale ends soon.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-01-2018, 1:18 AM

After a long research, I chose the Amplifi HD Mesh Wifi. Love it!

It works great on my almost 8,000 sq.ft. lot. Signal is strong, setup is easy, and it looks cool. Id recommend it.

https://www.amplifi.com

Old 09-01-2018, 9:07 AM

Google claims it's not a wifi extender which degrades speed. I don't see how it is not a wifi extender..

The weak link is still you internet providers modem.
Old 09-01-2018, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
After a long research, I chose the Amplifi HD Mesh Wifi. Love it!

It works great on my almost 8,000 sq.ft. lot. Signal is strong, setup is easy, and it looks cool. Id recommend it.

https://www.amplifi.com

I'm hearing good things about Amplifi. Almost ready to pull the trigger on something. Still broke.

Old 09-01-2018, 7:28 PM

I have 3 base system and love it too.
Old 09-06-2018, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassburnz View Post
I'm hearing good things about Amplifi. Almost ready to pull the trigger on something. Still broke.
I really like the Amplifi, and I’d recommend it. It is also good looking and quality built.

With the latest firmware, it is rock solid. Strong signals through the house — I am streaming 4K HD movies on my laptop, at the backyard. No hiccup at all.