Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-02-2018, 8:49 AM

Default Anyone ever Insall a new Network Card?

I am having constant on and off issues with my internet connection. PC side.
I get network Adapter error. I try updating the Driver and that does not help. I can get it working by going into settings and choosing to NETWORK RESET. And that only works sometimes.

Every time I turn off my pc and start it back up the error is back. Or even If I put it to sleep and wake it up.

I know my router/modem are good. The wiring is good.

So it is either a software error or hardware. I am going to do complete system restore and reinstall Windows. If the problem persists I can only assume the network adapter built into the MOBO has gone to sht.

I have a couple options I think. I hope they will work.
1. Maybe try getting a WIFI USB Receiver to plug into the pc and just use a wireless signal rather than going through the regular mobo adapter. Will this work? or does the signal just get directed through the same hardware?

2. Get a network card to install into the pc to bypass the built in adapter. Can I do this? will it work? Is it just plug and play or is there more to it?

Also, I put a new battery in the MOBO, No change. I did not think it would but figured it would not hurt. I have not had any bios errors.

Windows 10 Pro
Mobo.. Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 07-02-2018 at 8:55 AM..
Old 07-02-2018, 9:02 AM

I’ve never put in another network card with onboard network installed. I have installed a WiFi card. It was completely plug and play. I don’t see why installing another Ethernet card wouldn’t be the same aside from perhaps having to turn off the onboard Ethernet port.
Old 07-02-2018, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Installing the network card is similar to installing any other peripheral IE video card, sound card, etc.

Depending on your connectivity needs would determine whether you'll want one with wifi-capability or not.

If you opt to install an Ethernet card and hard wire to your router or modem, you can set the new network card as your default.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 07-02-2018, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your settings be putting the adapter to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDnsqpEGq1Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osier77 View Post
If I ever build a tractor pull truck I'm naming it "Hobo Peen"
Old 07-02-2018, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Try a new cable, a different port on your router, then try another NIC card.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:58 AM

If you go the new internal NIC route, just disable the onboard NIC and your new card will take over. If your modem/router has wifi, then you can just buy a cheap wifi dongle for $15 and be done with it. Wifi is slower than wired connection though.

By the way which board do you have Rev. 1 or Rev. 2? They have different drivers. Also, your board does not have win10 drivers. That's probably the problem. You're using win7 drivers on win10. They will install and for the most part work, but sometimes you get issues like you're having. Your board has a Realtek LAN. Find out what the actual chipset your network card has and download a windows 10 driver from realtek directly.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Scan for malware, and virus?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 AM

Install instructions will come with the new card, and are very easy. Don't go wifi if you don't plan on moving the PC and you know your cable is good. You will get better speeds with the wired connection. But wifi adapter usb will also work provided you are not too far from your modem with lots of metal and water in the way.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan275 View Post
lots of metal and water in the way.
Like my 10,000 gallon shark tank?
Old 07-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Is this a NEW problem on a system that had been working correctly?

Is this a NEW system that has had this problem from the beginning?

Is this a NEW problem that started after a significant hardware or software change?

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.
Old 07-02-2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Like my 10,000 gallon shark tank?
PICS!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post

2. Get a network card to install into the pc to bypass the built in adapter. Can I do this? will it work? Is it just plug and play or is there more to it?

You can do this, just disable the motherboard one in bios.
Old 07-03-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
You can do this, just disable the motherboard one in bios.
You do not even need to do it in bios. Just right click it /disable under network settings.

I would try a different cable router/switch before a new nic.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
You do not even need to do it in bios. Just right click it /disable under network settings.
Your right, I should have been more clear that I preferred the bios method.
Old 07-04-2018, 4:16 AM

They have USB Ethernet adapters and they're cheap.

As long as the mobo onboard ethernet adapter cable is unplugged, your computer will ignore it. If the device and or driver is defective, it may still cause issue's if it's left enabled, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...pSrc=srch&th=1

Your board has USB 3.0 ports, so get the USB3.0 adapter, but make sure that's the port you use when you plug it in. These ports are generally blue.

My laptop is an XPS 15. It's too thin to have an ethernet port, so I have to use USB Ethernet adapters. They work just fine and are plug n play.

If this fixes your problem, good to go. If it does not fix your problem, you can start diagnosing it. Whether this resolves the problem or not is irrelevant. It's a cheap and easy diagnostic tool and it's not a bad part to have around.

I wouldn't go wireless unless you had to. Also, you might try switching out the patch cable between the PC and your router/switch. If you have in-wall cabling, you might need to check that as well with a wire map tester at a minimum.

Get the USB adapter and go from there. Otherwise you can pay an IT guy like me $180/hr to diagnose this issue, and all I'm going to do is plug in a USB adapter and go from there.

Last edited by Fizz; 07-04-2018 at 4:22 AM..
Old 07-04-2018, 5:42 AM
Calguns Addict

If you know the NIC is supported in Linux, with a live distro running off USB/DVD you can see if the NIC is really the issue.

Knoppix, Slax, Ubuntu, etc. testing.

I have only seen ONE NIC die, in a server, and as I recall, the beast was like a 20+ years old 3-Com.

Last edited by the86d; 07-04-2018 at 5:46 AM..
Old 07-04-2018, 9:16 AM

Have you tried realtek drivers directly from realtek yet?

If your board is REV 1.0 you have a Realtek RTL8111D. If your board is REV 2.0 you have a Realtek RTL8111E. Download appropriate windows 10 driver directly from realtek.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bako88fan View Post
Your settings be putting the adapter to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDnsqpEGq1Q
I've seen this happen before and is what I'd test before throwing money at the problem and changing adding a card or USB adapter. You've changed MBs so hardware is unlikely to be the problem. If you must change cards then adding a name brand card to an empty slot is plug and play with Windows 10. You can disable the old adapter in the BIOS or just do it in Windows.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

OP.. have you tried using a different Ethernet cable?

i've actually had bad ethernet cables be a problem. not sure if it's just the connectors. the cable are never moved or touched (routed behind my table and into the ethernet plugs in the wall). i always had to restart pc and/or modem. the impact of the cable was the speeds were cutting in half.

i switched cables, voila! full speed again.

others have said you can disable the built in NIC in bios.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
I've seen this happen before and is what I'd test before throwing money at the problem and changing adding a card or USB adapter. You've changed MBs so hardware is unlikely to be the problem. If you must change cards then adding a name brand card to an empty slot is plug and play with Windows 10. You can disable the old adapter in the BIOS or just do it in Windows.
When did OP change motherboards?

Read the OP. The user's technical prowess is somewhere between casual and power user. Knows what motherboard he has, has IDed and executed some diagnostic/troubleshooting steps, has theorized possible solutions. However, is unsure how part replacement/substitution works.

While I wholly agree there are quite a few options to exercise prior to spending money, it will be in the OPs abilities to try a simple part substitution method to start the tshoot. Diagnosing power settings/driver problem may reveal the root cause, but it's a shot in the dark and realistically unlikely on a w10 machine. Similarly, telling the user to boot a Linux live CD, while a good diagnostic step and something I would do before a reinstall, is probably something I wouldn't advise a user of this level to do.

How a professional approaches a problem and how a professional should advise a non pro to self resolve the problem aren't always the same.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Should just work. If it's a fairly modern PC you can just plug this in and go for it: https://smile.amazon.com/Intel-Gigab.../dp/B001CY0P7G

The network stack will sort out which adapters have a route to the gateway(s). Just don't plug a wire into your old card. On the other hand, if the issue is with hardware on your motherboard ... danger Will Robinson. They call it a motherboard for a reason.
Old 07-04-2018, 1:21 PM

Well if he doesn't come back I guess that means there was a problem ...
Old 07-04-2018, 2:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
When did OP change motherboards?
You are correct, I misread the post.

Quote:
How a professional approaches a problem and how a professional should advise a non pro to self resolve the problem aren't always the same.
The best way to diagnose and fix a problem is to always start at the simplest and cheapest first. If he is connecting at all, even for a little while, then the network adapter works. What could cause it to stop working after a bit? Physical: A bad cable getting giggled or a bad port getting giggled. Unlikely but it happens. On the other hand if he can't ever connect then it could be a bad adapter, it's unlikely, but it could happen. I just haven't seen it happen in decades.

Software: The first place I'd look is Windows 10 power management. That's a pretty common issue. Only after checking that would I start looking at drivers or suspecting malware. At that point it's time for an average user to let a professional figure it out.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Last edited by sholling; 07-04-2018 at 2:08 PM..
Old 07-04-2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
You are correct, I misread the post.

The best way to diagnose and fix a problem is to always start at the simplest and cheapest first. If he is connecting at all, even for a little while, then the network adapter works. What could cause it to stop working after a bit? Physical: A bad cable getting giggled or a bad port getting giggled. Unlikely but it happens. On the other hand if he can't ever connect then it could be a bad adapter, it's unlikely, but it could happen. I just haven't seen it happen in decades.

Software: The first place I'd look is Windows 10 power management. That's a pretty common issue. Only after checking that would I start looking at drivers or suspecting malware. At that point it's time for an average user to let a professional figure it out.

Can also be a thermal issue; a can of the 'dust-off' stuff can be inverted and used to spot cool places on the MB to troubleshoot.
Old 07-04-2018, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
Can also be a thermal issue;
Possible but unlikely as long as there is decent airflow. Of course it never hurts to check fans and blow years of dust bunnies off the MB.

Old 07-05-2018, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the same motherboard and OS with the same problem, I believe it is the driver for Windows 10 that causes this because it worked just fine when I had Windows 7 on it. Unfortunately though, Gigabyte does not have a driver that will fix this issue on Windows 10.

To get around the issue without buying an additional network card, what you want to do is to power off the PC at the end of the day when you will not be using it anymore. The network port will initialized correctly if you start the PC from cold with a power on and not wake up from sleep. A restart will not work, it has to be a power cycle.
Old 07-05-2018, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
To get around the issue without buying an additional network card, what you want to do is to power off the PC at the end of the day when you will not be using it anymore. The network port will initialized correctly if you start the PC from cold with a power on and not wake up from sleep. A restart will not work, it has to be a power cycle.
Geesh what a hassle to save $11

Just slap a NIC in there.
Old 07-05-2018, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Geesh what a hassle to save $11

Just slap a NIC in there.
It is free for me actually as I have multiple NIC at home. I find I easier to just power off the PC before I go to sleep and power it back on when I wake up to work (I work from home on the PC).
Old 07-05-2018, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

just slap a new nic or do the wireless, whichever gets you back up quicker. when you have time, just troubleshoot, and find the correct drivers. If you exhaust that, then you're already solved your problem by having your new nic or wifi already working

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:18 AM

If you are on Windows 10, it probably is a driver issue. Go to device manager, then network adapters, right click on your built in network adapter and uninstall device. Next click on the Action tab and Scan for hardware changes. This should reinstall the driver to your onboard network adapter and should fix your problem.