Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-21-2018, 9:30 AM

Default Stupid Question About Direct TV and Cable

I have Suddenlink cable into my house to provide internet and home phone. Their tv service in my area is terrible so I just use Hulu, Netflix and a couple of network phone apps.

With Direct TV no offering a $35 a month with no contract tv service (60 channels + on demand) I would like to try it out for a few months.

Since my exterior box is connected to Suddenlink and they are running their system through my coax, how do I get Direct TV into the house without them running a new drop into my family room and incurring extra costs? I know they have a wireless system so was wondering if it could be set up in the attic and if my tv right below would pick up the signal.

First time I have ever considered two providers in the same house
Old 06-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the wireless is from a master STB to a mini STB.

A LITTLE HOT AND DUSTY FOR ATTIC USE for an STB with a fan...

Usually for older houses cable is run to the outside connection, but newer houses it all home-runs to a cable feed in a closet or something. It can be split there per room, different splitters.

Last edited by the86d; 06-21-2018 at 10:19 AM..
Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Don’t fall for there pretty price scam! Countless threads on how horrible DirecTv is.

Look in to streaming options such as Sling, PlayStation Vue, and even DirecTv Now (different entity than cable DirecTV). These services can be run on devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Stick, Apple TV. And consider Kodi

Tac-Tags.com
Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
Don’t fall for there pretty price scam! Countless threads on how horrible DirecTv is.

Look in to streaming options such as Sling, PlayStation Vue, and even DirecTv Now (different entity than cable DirecTV). These services can be run on devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Stick, Apple TV. And consider Kodi
Directv is an excellent company with excellent service. I’ve had them for decades. They always take care of me.

Cut the cable if you want, but do it because of better options, not because of goofy nonsense like “horrible” companies.

Well, every cable company is horrible. But directv is solid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 AM

just went back and looked at the Direct TV ad and saw that it was actually the DirecTV Now company and not the dish guys. Wireless streaming without a dish is a whole different ball game and something I can do easily since I have a Vizio Smartcast TV that I stream Hulu and Netflix to from my iPhone. I am assuming I just need to sign up for DirecTV Now, download the iPhone app, and I am good to go
Old 06-21-2018, 12:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

DirecTV Now is great. I've had it for about a year and a half and it keeps getting better with new features and additional channels. I'm grandfathered in at $35/mo. for 100+ channels which is $60 at the current rates.

They still have the deal where you get a free Apple TV 4K 32GB if you prepay 3 months at $35/mo. or higher. That's a great deal even if you don't use or keep DirecTV since that Apple TV is $179 plus tax by itself.

Old 06-25-2018, 3:43 AM
Calguns Addict

I have actually had almost no issues with DirecTV's TV service, compared to Verizon's FiOS, when it was Verizon... Don't get me started about how I tried Spectrum for less than 5 days, and even YouTube buffering in HD killed the deal with dropped Internet for 30 seconds at a time, my router, OR theirs (I tried theirs first..).

I am planning on dropping them, and trying a TV streaming provider, as $120/month for 4 TVs that we never watch is overkill.

Last edited by the86d; 06-25-2018 at 3:46 AM..