Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-25-2011, 6:32 PM

Default Posers

[rant]

Let me say this- if you are going to impersonate a member of the armed forces, at least put some effort into it. Buy a surplus uniform that actually fits, figure out what ribbons you're faking having earned, and look up how to wear it all correctly

We had a guy walk in my workplace today impersonating a marine. Decked out in wrinkled and ill-fitting dress whites, coffee stain on his pant leg, top button undone, wearing three random ribbons on a six stack ribbon bar, etc... And to top it off, he was totally shnookered, and rambling about running teflon dipped bullets in the 50AE Deagle he bought here in Cali a few years ago, going from customer to customer, imparting his "knowledge" of the firearms they were perusing. *******.

You'd think that anyone wanting to pretend to have been in the service would avoid a place were ex and current .mil types are likely to be employed/hang out, but I guess I'm expecting too much from cowards and posers.

[/rant]
Old 04-25-2011, 8:42 PM

Preach it Brother!
I ran into a poser a few months back and posted the story here.
Then last month I ran into another one, I'm too tired of these kind of people to post the story, because it was the same, Me chewing his *** and everything that goes with that.
Old 04-25-2011, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

Give them the KNIFE HAND and a loud HELLO YOU!!
Old 04-26-2011, 8:40 AM

I think that would piss me off pretty good. A large percentage of Hawaii is military so I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to try it there.
Old 04-26-2011, 9:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Have inexplicably been on the otherside of this, with some complete moron questioning not only my service but 10 or so of my closest friends who I served with, I get very touchy about this subject.

I had a guy do this to me in a bar while a group of me and my military buddies were celebrating a bachelor party. Somebody told this idiot, we were military. He felt our hair was too long for that to be true and decided to call us all liars. If I had been sober I would have let it go. I wasn't.

999999 times out of 1000000 the guy is who he says he is. Here he is serving (or having had served) his country with honor and some jerk comes up to him and calls him a liar. You didn't do that, but guys on Calguns brag about doing so all the time. And it pisses me off. Because the odds that they were wrong are just way too high.

I can think of nothing more disgraceful than to question the honor of a service member, especially one who sacraficed their mental or physical well being in service of this country. So posts like these really piss me off. I have yet to see one that had clear evidence the guy was not who he says he was. Usually the things people use as evidence in these posts are things like position of insignia (which change 10 different times during my enlistment) or weight of the individual (I've seen soldiers with ranger tabs pushing 300lbs on active duty while on deployment) and even a guy wearing sneakers with his uniform (happens constantly for medical reasons - a temporary waiver is given while their feet heal) none of it qualifying as proof and all had perfectly logical explinations.

In your case alsholism combined with a large does of nostalgia could explain why an ex-marine would pull his uniform out of the bottom of the closet and disgrace himself. Clearly he has issues. That doesn't mean he is not a Marine. No such thing as an ex-Marine.

So if you are wrong, and you confront some guy you think is a poser...you just disgraced yourself and this country beyond words. Way beyond anything a poser could do. Especially if the reason the guy is so "off" is that he has PTSD or something worse as a result of his service.

Younger guys who did not grow up surround by Vietnam vets like we older guys did don't realize just how messed up guys can get. What you describe in your post is how a huge number of guys turned out after Vietnam. Today more help is made available, but a lot of guys are coming back really messed up. No matter how messed up they are, as a fellow service member who clearly had it better than they did it is our duty to treat them with with respect. For all you know that bum you're disgusted with is a hero.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-26-2011 at 10:07 AM..
Old 04-26-2011, 9:50 AM

Rant taken! (thumbs up)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
...You didn't do that, but guys on Calguns brag about doing so all the time. And it pisses me off. Because the odds that they were wrong are just way too high.

I can think of nothing more disgraceful than to question the honor of a service member, especially one who sacraficed their mental or physical well being in service of this country. So posts like these really piss me off. I have yet to see one that had clear evidence the guy was not who he says he was...
Wow TC you are just fired up about this brotha and ever since I've been on CG there seems to be a hidden rage about people claiming their past military experience or what not.

So in the spirit of being too legit to quit I say let's have some fun sharing our copies of the DD214.

I'll start but do block out any sensitive info, of course.

My first DD214

and my Re-Activated DD214

Let see 'em.

Last edited by Outta Control; 04-27-2011 at 2:49 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Have inexplicably been on the otherside of this, with some complete moron questioning not only my service but 10 or so of my closest friends who I served with, I get very touchy about this subject.

I had a guy do this to me in a bar while a group of me and my military buddies were celebrating a bachelor party. Somebody told this idiot, we were military. He felt our hair was too long for that to be true and decided to call us all liars. If I had been sober I would have let it go. I wasn't.

999999 times out of 1000000 the guy is who he says he is. Here he is serving (or having had served) his country with honor and some jerk comes up to him and calls him a liar. You didn't do that, but guys on Calguns brag about doing so all the time. And it pisses me off. Because the odds that they were wrong are just way too high.

I can think of nothing more disgraceful than to question the honor of a service member, especially one who sacraficed their mental or physical well being in service of this country. So posts like these really piss me off. I have yet to see one that had clear evidence the guy was not who he says he was. Usually the things people use as evidence in these posts are things like position of insignia (which change 10 different times during my enlistment) or weight of the individual (I've seen soldiers with ranger tabs pushing 300lbs on active duty while on deployment) and even a guy wearing sneakers with his uniform (happens constantly for medical reasons - a temporary waiver is given while their feet heal) none of it qualifying as proof and all had perfectly logical explinations.

In your case alsholism combined with a large does of nostalgia could explain why an ex-marine would pull his uniform out of the bottom of the closet and disgrace himself. Clearly he has issues. That doesn't mean he is not a Marine. No such thing as an ex-Marine.

So if you are wrong, and you confront some guy you think is a poser...you just disgraced yourself and this country beyond words. Way beyond anything a poser could do. Especially if the reason the guy is so "off" is that he has PTSD or something worse as a result of his service.

Younger guys who did not grow up surround by Vietnam vets like we older guys did don't realize just how messed up guys can get. What you describe in your post is how a huge number of guys turned out after Vietnam. Today more help is made available, but a lot of guys are coming back really messed up. No matter how messed up they are, as a fellow service member who clearly had it better than they did it is our duty to treat them with with respect. For all you know that bum you're disgusted with is a hero.
I am not sure I completely agree with you on all accounts, but I can understand how you feel about your service being questioned. I have had it done once myself by someone I thought was a friend. Lets just say I no longer speak to this person. To call someone out and say they didnt serve when they have is a great dishonor to them.

I would say be very careful in who you call a poser when it comes to serving. We risk our lives, and our bodies for you.
Old 04-26-2011, 1:43 PM

California Penal Code:

532b. (a) Any person who falsely represents himself or herself as a
veteran or ex-serviceman of any war in which the United States was
engaged, in connection with the soliciting of aid or the sale or
attempted sale of any property, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who falsely claims, or presents himself or herself,
to be a veteran or member of the Armed Forces of the United States,
with the intent to defraud, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(c) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who,
orally, in writing, or by wearing any military decoration, falsely
represents himself or herself to have been awarded any military
decoration, with the intent to defraud, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(2) This offense is an infraction or a misdemeanor, subject to
Sections 19.6, 19.7, and 19.8, if the person committing the offense
is a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States.
(3) For purposes of this subdivision, "military decoration" means
any decoration or medal from the Armed Forces of the United States,
the California National Guard, State Military Reserve, or Naval
Militia, or any service medals or badges awarded to the members of
those forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of that badge,
decoration, or medal, or any colorable imitation of that item.
(d) This section does not apply to face-to-face solicitations
involving less than ten dollars ($10).
Old 04-26-2011, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
[rant]

Let me say this- if you are going to impersonate a member of the armed forces, at least put some effort into it. Buy a surplus uniform that actually fits, figure out what ribbons you're faking having earned, and look up how to wear it all correctly

We had a guy walk in my workplace today impersonating a marine. Decked out in wrinkled and ill-fitting dress whites, coffee stain on his pant leg, top button undone, wearing three random ribbons on a six stack ribbon bar, etc... And to top it off, he was totally shnookered, and rambling about running teflon dipped bullets in the 50AE Deagle he bought here in Cali a few years ago, going from customer to customer, imparting his "knowledge" of the firearms they were perusing. *******.

You'd think that anyone wanting to pretend to have been in the service would avoid a place were ex and current .mil types are likely to be employed/hang out, but I guess I'm expecting too much from cowards and posers.

[/rant]
There is no way this is true! No body is this dumb! I would have fell out of my seat laughing as I kick him out the door. I dislike posers as much as the next serviceman but man the mil rage I feel in........CA! Is something I'm seeing more that I'm out. Before it was looks now I hear people complaining about the mil this, the mil that. I rather deal and put up with people wanting to be us then the straight haters who wish we would leave. On a side note there is no way I posting my discharge papers. It's just to terminal lance. LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 2:03 PM

yeah but guys, there are a bunch of yahoos out there that didnt get to even make a first step into the military, and you have these guys buying uniforms ar15s and all the works and have this mental perspective as considering themselves patriots, and telling peeps they were war vets. in the process not knowing regs. and improperly wearing a lot of our military gear to the fullest extent. I've personally known enlisted men, never deployed, yet caught them in the act of lying saying they have deplyed. no bueno man. taking credit for things they never did. what does that leave us real war vets if there are wannabes out there taking our credit. pisses me off i work so damn hard only to have some dude take that away in a second of lying. I mean i ignore them but sure damn makes me feel like nothing. as for the vietnam vets, i feel you on that comment, if ptsd is a problem now I am absolutely positive it happened then and concerned and no one had solution about it then as we do now. my hat goes off to all the war vets. even the lost ones in the street. Shoot i ask a few questions and if they answer with confidence i pay my respect. also one thing i learned a soldier knows when he is talking to another soldier. also becareful of all them call of duty gamers who magically convert themselve to soldiers overnight by playing. some dudes think they have the skill to take it to the real world. jeez. posers. scary its outhere
Now let's try it again!"

Officer: "Soldier. Do you have change for a dollar?"

Soldier: "No, SIR!"
Old 04-26-2011, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevans66 View Post
There is no way this is true! No body is this dumb! I would have fell out of my seat laughing as I kick him out the door. I dislike posers as much as the next serviceman but man the mil rage I feel in........CA! Is something I'm seeing more that I'm out. Before it was looks now I hear people complaining about the mil this, the mil that. I rather deal and put up with people wanting to be us then the straight haters who wish we would leave. On a side note there is no way I posting my discharge papers. It's just to terminal lance. LOL
lmao i wanted to put my dd but i was like wait. nah im straight u never know what kind of stalkers are out here. ha. wait ...i dont have a dd.
Now let's try it again!"

Old 04-26-2011, 2:08 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
(I've seen soldiers with ranger tabs pushing 300lbs on active duty while on deployment)
I am not familiar with all the terms...these fatsos are reservists?
Old 04-26-2011, 2:29 PM

well looks like no one wants to play. So sad that this drama continues in CG. Right TC?
Old 04-26-2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
well looks like no one wants to play. So sad that this drama continues in CG. Right TC?
I'm ging to go out on a limb and say that posting our 214s on a public forum is not adviseable. What would it prove anyway? A little googe-fu and some photoshop if you need it would let a liar keep lying indiscriminatly. I don't think an e-penis measuring contest is really neccessary- you either are, or your not, and maybe one day any pretenders will feel bad about what they've done.

Last edited by SGT Loco; 04-26-2011 at 4:39 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 4:19 PM

maybe so but I can tell you I am on the clear.
Old 04-26-2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6114DAVE View Post
Give them the KNIFE HAND and a loud HELLO YOU!!
Don't forget the liberal use of the word "heinous"
I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!
Old 04-26-2011, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
Let see 'em.
I have a Military ID card that says "Retired." And I ain't showing it. I also have a VIC card from the VA and a membership card from the VFW. I'm not showing those either. You'll just have to trust me.
Old 04-26-2011, 8:57 PM

While back I was in Harbor Freight picking up some cheap stuff. I hear the guy in front of me telling the person in front of him that he is home on leave from the middle east, what sub he is stationed on, and where he is stationed.

Only problem was his submarine (SSBN), home port ( he had WA and GA criss-crossed), and SSBN's don't go to the middle east.

I asked three questions then told him "You are one unlucky bastard. Modesto CA, nowhere near a Navy base and you just happen to run your mouth with a retiree from the U.S. Submarine force behind you." Don't brag about **** you haven't done it pisses off those of us who have done it."

He bailed in a hurry.

As for posting DD-214's etc. Anybody who actually served only needs a couple of minutes and a few questions and they can very quickly figure out if someone is legit or not.
- David M. Bennett
Old 04-26-2011, 9:10 PM

I will say that i feel like a lot of bums use the term "Vet" to get more money. Every once in a while (usually if i have had a few drinks) I like to talk to these guys. I would say about 25% are lying. I usually just ask them simple questions...What unit were you with? Where were you stationed? and so on. Not to call them out just to shoot the sh*t. A lot of them have no idea what im talking about. I dont care what any one says if you cant remember the units you served in then you never served.
Old 04-26-2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bforme View Post
I dont care what any one says if you cant remember the units you served in then you never served.
Or what rank you were when you "retired".
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arondos View Post
...As for posting DD-214's etc. Anybody who actually served only needs a couple of minutes and a few questions and they can very quickly figure out if someone is legit or not.
If that were true then this hidden service/non service drama would be done with.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 PM

.... good thread going on here. good stories from everyone. Hey Arondos that shi# is too damn funny. but thats the reality military veterans all over the place. i just found out the guy who regularly fixes my washer and dryer is a vietnam vet, and no **** this guy was also in laos, he met vang pao and all and we chatted and he emphasized how much he respected the hmong people, and no **** small world he was like hella awesome when he found out my story and how my fiance is hmong and her dad fought during the war. anyways so a good friendship came out of that. and great story swapping.
Now let's try it again!"

Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 PM

I retired as a Super Ultra Master Sergeant.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Bforme View Post
I will say that i feel like a lot of bums use the term "Vet" to get more money.
I see a bunch of " Vietnam Vet 101st Airborne Please help" bum signs down here , I ask "what MOS did you have " and they reply " I was with the 101rst" ...
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 04-27-2011, 1:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Wtf? Why do people fake military service?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 04-27-2011, 1:33 AM

the simple way to call them out is coining them. when they can't produce a coin, collect your drink, and tell them to GTFO
The 45 ACP trail eventually leads to 1911 ownership.
Old 04-27-2011, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racky View Post
the simple way to call them out is coining them. when they can't produce a coin, collect your drink, and tell them to GTFO
I think there are better ways.
Old 04-27-2011, 6:35 AM

Yeah, I don't know who actually carries coins around in their pockets.

Old 04-27-2011, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmileyface View Post
Yeah, I don't know who actually carries coins around in their pockets.
huh. most people i work with always carry their coin in their wallet. we even use the coin sometimes to see who takes out the trash.
Old 04-27-2011, 8:12 AM

...yeah, they tried to sell us unit coins. Only a couple people bought them, and they were gigantic so I don't see them being practical to carry around in your pocket. Coins are not really a combat arms thing.

edit: just realized I do have a couple of unit coins... but I don't or ever have carried them in my pocket.

Last edited by docsmileyface; 04-27-2011 at 8:20 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 8:20 AM

wanna talk poser... check this Delta Bravo out.....

Eric Sturchio
http://www.paratrooper.net/commo/Topic184836.aspx
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies239.htm

Now thats a POSER
Old 04-27-2011, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmileyface View Post
...yeah, they tried to sell us unit coins. Only a couple people bought them, and they were gigantic so I don't see them being practical to carry around in your pocket. Coins are not really a combat arms thing.
ya coins that are bought don't count. coins are earned. but it's probably an air force REMF or POG thing
Old 04-27-2011, 8:37 AM

Here is another poser:

And some (funny) facts

Frank Dux does everything that Chuck Norris does, but he does it with a beer in his hand.

Chuck Norris is the salt of the earth. Frank Dux uses that salt to flavor his eggs.

Chuck Norris is a real straight shooter. Frank Dux doesn't need to shoot, his kick was clocked at 72 mph for Christ's sakes.

The Texas highway patrol sets their speed limits based off of the velocity of Chuck Norris roundhouse kick (55mph). The Autobahn has no speed limit, based off of the velocity of Frank Dux's kick. One has been clocked at 72 mph for Christ's sakes!

Chuck Norris thinks the definition of FAST is "to move quickly". Frank Dux knows that FASST stands for "Focus, Action, Skills, Strategy, and Tactics". Suck it, Chuck!

SUCK IT, CHUCK!!!

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris kills people. Frank Dux kills people and elephants.

Chuck Norris has 2 speeds: walk and kill. Frank Dux has 3 speeds: walk, kill, and kill elephants.

If Jesus had a brother, he would be Chuck Norris. Jesus did have a father, and His name is Frank Dux.

Chuck Norris grew up on the wrong side of the tracks...because Frank Dux wouldn't let him cross back over.

It only takes Chuck Norris 3.2 seconds to tie his shoelaces. It only takes 3.2 seconds for Frank Dux to knock someone's *** out.

Chuck Norris can part the sea. Frank Dux can drain it.

Last edited by Outta Control; 04-27-2011 at 8:40 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arondos View Post
While back I was in Harbor Freight picking up some cheap stuff. I hear the guy in front of me telling the person in front of him that he is home on leave from the middle east, what sub he is stationed on, and where he is stationed.

Only problem was his submarine (SSBN), home port ( he had WA and GA criss-crossed), and SSBN's don't go to the middle east.

I asked three questions then told him "You are one unlucky bastard. Modesto CA, nowhere near a Navy base and you just happen to run your mouth with a retiree from the U.S. Submarine force behind you." Don't brag about **** you haven't done it pisses off those of us who have done it."

He bailed in a hurry.

As for posting DD-214's etc. Anybody who actually served only needs a couple of minutes and a few questions and they can very quickly figure out if someone is legit or not.

+1 on people running their mouth.

- he could be brown shoe navy, I was a navy AD but 5/11 years of my life was with JTF/JSOC or army and in the past few years there has been a growth of IA or TAD to fill in some billets in a lot of places..it wouldn't be strange to see a nuke ( my srgnt. major in my last Task Force was a COB ) and we had FC's working the Phoenix guns for anit-mortar.

- most of these guys if not volunteers are voluntold FNG's that get farmed out to " special places" , specially if they have clearance, they cant really talk about what they do and are either given some stupid background story, you might have scared a noob....but then again he could really be just a poser.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM

I guess I'm just one of those Air Force remfs. I served from '67-'71, volunteered for 'Nam, but never received orders. I was never a super trooper, I just handled air freight. But, I lost friends during that war. There was no welcome home or flag waving, and wearing your uniform off base didn't get you handshakes and thank you's. Some of you guys should think before you post

There's the Stolen Valor Act which makes posers legally liable for their lies and you can report phony "Special Operators" here: http://www.specialoperations.org/stolen_valor.html
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I guess I'm just one of those Air Force remfs. I served from '67-'71, volunteered for 'Nam, but never received orders. I was never a super trooper, I just handled air freight. But, I lost friends during that war. There was no welcome home or flag waving and wearing your uniform off base didn't get you handshakes and thank you's. Some of you guys should think before you post

There's the Stolen Valor Act which makes posers legally liable for their lies and you can report phony "Special Operators" here: http://www.specialoperations.org/stolen_valor.html
Don't feel bad. When the Gulf War was over I didn't even get invited on the Homecoming parade in NY. I ended up playing a "chock" guy for the F-15 returning from the Mid-East. It was freakin cold at Langley.

After few awards ceremony and thank you letters. I was "going back to Cali...Cali..."

Last edited by Outta Control; 04-27-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I don't feel bad at all, I just wanted to make a point. Most military service just isn't very heroic. Mostly, it's tiresome and a PITA.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Don't forget Red Tape . I remember we did a joint exercise to prepare for a CA natural disaster drill a week or so before the 89 earthquake. When it did happen were we called out to assist? Nooo...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I don't feel bad at all, I just wanted to make a point. Most military service just isn't very heroic. Mostly, it's tiresome and a PITA.
word. i deployed twice already for iraqi freedom. but because i wasn't "boots on the ground," i never got the recognition for it. just another REMF. i even have video footage and the flag of the f16s i launched and dropped ordinance in iraq.

EDIT: when i was in spangdahlem, our birds were the first bombs dropped in the war (before march 19, the official beginning of the war). i personally launched a few of them. spangdahlem birds were the SEAD mission which allowed air superiority. block 50s FTW

Last edited by racky; 04-27-2011 at 10:50 AM..