Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-10-2010, 2:04 PM
In Memoriam

Biggest gripe about recruiting / recruiters is the difference between when I originally enlisted in 2005 and now. Back then the recruiters were more then helpful and bent over backwards to help. Hell even when I got out in 06, I had recruiters still helping. Right after I had my knee surgery and got all cleared it became a game of (ah wait til October) fast forward two years later and despite some awesome Asvab scores, I can't get a single recruiter to actually return a damn phone call, email or be at the office when I go there....

The economy is bad, the wars are coming to a close, so apparently if you need a med waiver and hope for a straight to the point answer from a single recruiter, you'd probably have better luck looking for a virgin at the folsom street fair...
Old 10-10-2010, 4:51 PM

Cavtrooper has provided some good advice on how to try to work things. Keep in mind the open slots or promises they can offer change daily. You can't always be "in the window" of what and where you want.
Be ready for some compromise and it can work out.
I think I saw some kind of study guide for the dlab, but that was after I took that wacky test. If there isn't a study guide written he was correct there is no way to prepare for it that I can imagine.
Old 10-10-2010, 5:07 PM
Banned

AR 611-201?
Old 10-11-2010, 6:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcuits View Post
Biggest gripe about recruiting / recruiters is the difference between when I originally enlisted in 2005 and now. Back then the recruiters were more then helpful and bent over backwards to help. Hell even when I got out in 06, I had recruiters still helping. Right after I had my knee surgery and got all cleared it became a game of (ah wait til October) fast forward two years later and despite some awesome Asvab scores, I can't get a single recruiter to actually return a damn phone call, email or be at the office when I go there....

The economy is bad, the wars are coming to a close, so apparently if you need a med waiver and hope for a straight to the point answer from a single recruiter, you'd probably have better luck looking for a virgin at the folsom street fair...
Why did you get out the first time?

Was it because of your knee injury?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Hey,

I'm interested in joining the military, but have not read much into it.
I want to become a military photographer.

Right now I'm in my second year of community college and debating to continue my studies or really get out there and do something.

is this a possible career choice for me in the military? I haven't decided which branch, but probably the branch with the best possibilities.

thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguystep View Post
Hey,

I'm interested in joining the military, but have not read much into it.
I want to become a military photographer.

Right now I'm in my second year of community college and debating to continue my studies or really get out there and do something.

is this a possible career choice for me in the military? I haven't decided which branch, but probably the branch with the best possibilities.

thanks in advance!
Im pretty sure every branch has "combat camera", however the AirForce guys seem to be the most active, Ive seen those fellas and thier pictures everywhere! Its best to explore each branch though, find out what fits you the best. Im not sure every branch can gaurentee you an MOS when you enlist, but some can.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2010, 3:13 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Why did you get out the first time?

Was it because of your knee injury?
No. For reasons to complicated and detailed too discuss openly on a board where hundreds can speculate or judge. I have been told by dozens I am eligible to go back in, I just need the waiver. However wouldn't that make me ineligible, unless I get the waiver... lol I do however also now need a waiver for me knee too.

Last edited by Bizcuits; 10-11-2010 at 3:17 PM..
Old 10-11-2010, 3:17 PM
Banned

Are you an RE code 3 ?
Old 10-11-2010, 3:22 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionalcoyotehunter View Post
Are you an RE code 3 ?
lol

Re-enlistment Code 3. Separation Code JFW. Narrative: Failed to meet medical procurement standards.

I've been over my DD214, inside and out dozens of times since Dec 16th 2005 with recruiters from every branch expect the Navy. The responses I have got have changed over the years from, (I can have you back at Fort Benning in 2 weeks!) to (Your screwed, thank Obama, because you'll never get back in) and even (go get your degree and come back to drop an OCS packet, I get can only get waivers for officers)....
Old 10-11-2010, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No. For reasons to complicated and detailed to discuss openly on a board where hundreds can speculate or judge.
I understand. Sometimes its harder to deal with certain issues than others. Also, certain things that can be waived, cant always be waived, they open and close certain types of waivers throughout the year.

Quote:
I have been told by dozens I am eligible to go back in, just need the waiver.
Dozens of recruiters or dozens of people? It makes a big difference. If dozens of recruiters have told you its waiverable and you still arent in, then that aint right. However if dozens of people have told you its waiverable and you still arent in, its probably because they dont know what they are talking about.

Send me your name and phone number and I will put you in touch with someone in the SoCal area that will get it straighted out for you.

PS- National Guard and regular Army are two different beasts, they do not always have the same standards or waiver catagories open.
Old 10-11-2010, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
lol

Re-enlistment Code 3. Separation Code JFW. Narrative: Failed to meet medical procurement standards.

I've been over my DD214, inside and out dozens of times since Dec 16th 2005 with recruiters from every branch expect the Navy. The responses I have got have changed over the years from, (I can have you back at Fort Benning in 2 weeks!) to (Your screwed, thank Obama, because you'll never get back in) and even (go get your degree and come back to drop an OCS packet, I get can only get waivers for officers)....
JFW is "fraudulent enlistment", it would require a conduct waiver. When I left a couple months ago they were not accepting conduct waivers for prior service personel. The Commanding General of recruiting at the time is very tough on conduct waivers and even stated at one point that he did not want to accept them, ever again.

I know its tough, but thats how it was a few months ago, it might change someday.
Old 10-11-2010, 4:05 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Dozens of recruiters or dozens of people? It makes a big difference. If dozens of recruiters have told you its waiverable and you still arent in, then that aint right.
2005 - Out processing at RHU. I asked my First Sergeant, CO and every damn DS at RHU. Everyone said I was fine and would be eligible for re-enlistment when I got my **** squared away at home. Hell one of my Drill Sergeants came down to say good bye, wish me good luck and encouraged me to re-enlist into the Airforce.

2005 - (As soon as I got my discharge packet) First Army Recruiter (original one who recruited me) reviewed everything for me and said once my family situation was squared away I wouldn't have any problems getting back in.

2006 (early) - Family friend who was an Army Recruiter in Grass Valley, reviewed everything told me the same thing. (I didn't trust the original recruiters assessment).

2006 - Marine recruiter reviewed everything, told me the same thing, but I didn't have a HS or enough College Credits.

2006 - (End of the Year) - Had two different Army Recruiters at the same office review everything and tell me I was good to go.

2007 (Late) - Random Army recruiter reviewed everything and told me he could have me back at Fort Benning in 2 weeks. Dude practically stalked me to get me to sign back up, but I was waiting to finish my knee surgery.

2008 (summer after surgery) - Army recruiter in Sacramento reviewed everything told me I was good to go, but needed to wait for the Doctor to clear me on my knee surgery.

2009 - (3) Different Army recruiter told me I was screwed.
2009 - Marine recruiter told me I was screwed.
2009 - Airforce Reserve Recruiter told me, my conduct, knee and original waiver would be easy as hell. He told me my tattoo waiver would be near impossible. (2010) He since was transferred out of recruiting and the new SSG, doesn't return calls, answer emails or is ever at the office.
2009 - Coast Guard Recruiter told me the same thing the Airforce told me.
2009 - (summer) - (2) Guard Recruiters told me I was good to go, but only if I went the OCS route, because waivers were closed for enlisted. I stuck with one of the recruiters who was a friend of a friend.

2010 - (spring) My primary guard recruiter who I was keeping in touch with regarding my college units, called me to tell me waivers had opened back up and I could go enlisted easily. Had me go take the Asvab, was really excited when he saw all my scores (overall 80), then he dropped off the face of the damn earth.

Frustrating to say the least...

I get the picture, 3 waivers, none of them easy to get and plenty of other easier candidates in front of me.
Old 10-11-2010, 4:06 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
JFW is "fraudulent enlistment"
Not proud of it at all, but there is a lot more details then just being a fraud.
Old 10-11-2010, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I get the picture, 3 waivers, none of them easy to get and plenty of other easier candidates in front of me.
Its not that they are easier, its just that they are doable. Sounds like yours are not.
Old 10-11-2010, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not proud of it at all, but there is a lot more details then just being a fraud.
It really doesnt matter what the situation was at the time, all that matters is whats on the paperwork.
Old 10-11-2010, 4:29 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
It really doesnt matter what the situation was at the time, all that matters is whats on the paperwork.
I know... and my write ups aren't good. Yet when someone hears the whole story it makes sense... I just wish I could be either permanently disqualified or get back in, so I could put the desire to serve and urge to re-enlist away for good. Either let it happen, or close the damn door forever.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 PM

so I got a 100 on my dlab... i was ****tin bricks during it though.that test is crazy. Heading back in a little bit to go check in at the hotel and finish up my stuff in the morning. thanks for your words of encouragement cav lol
Old 10-12-2010, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

JFW - Erroneous enlistment; Medical condition disqualifying for military service, with no medical waiver approved.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/lifea...blcode_2_2.htm
Old 10-16-2010, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Most common question recieved via PM from CalGunners-

"I do/have done drugs, will this effect my desire to enlist?"

Answer:

If youve never been cited or arrested for drugs, the only way anyone will know is if you tell them.

If you have been arrested of cited for drugs, tell your recruiter so he can get the documents. You are probably screwed and wont be able to enlist, but at least you wont waste the recruiters valuable time.

Oh yeah,

GET OFF THE DOPE!
Old 10-18-2010, 7:14 PM

cav, whats the deal with ears? I used to have plugs but took them out a few months ago. My recruiter said that as long as you cant fit a pencil eraser through it I will be good. But the Doc at MEPs said if it isnt all the way closed by my shipdate I dont go? Whats your input on that?
Old 10-18-2010, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam8d1 View Post
cav, whats the deal with ears? I used to have plugs but took them out a few months ago. My recruiter said that as long as you cant fit a pencil eraser through it I will be good. But the Doc at MEPs said if it isnt all the way closed by my shipdate I dont go? Whats your input on that?
My input... plugs are stupid.

Depending on your ship date, I would consider getting them stitched if they will heal all the way in time.

Im guessing your ship date is sometime around feb or mar, which should give you more than enough time.
Old 10-18-2010, 7:42 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

What's the deal with us fatasses?

Say we get to a point where we can pass the PAT, but are still substantially over the weight line. What's the chance of getting a weight waiver? Do you need one if you can pass the body measurement tests?
Old 10-19-2010, 2:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
What's the deal with us fatasses?

Say we get to a point where we can pass the PAT, but are still substantially over the weight line. What's the chance of getting a weight waiver? Do you need one if you can pass the body measurement tests?

the Army already allows about 5-10 pounds and 2% body fat over the standard for initial enlistment because tehy know youll drop at least that or more during basic training, how much more do you need?

I have no sympathy for fatasses. There was two seperate individuals I dealt with that each lost 30 to 50 pounds to enlist. it took them time, but they wanted it bad enough and they made it happen, if you want it, youll make it happen too.
Old 10-19-2010, 9:24 PM

Any insight on college credits to get rank?
Old 10-20-2010, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Question about eyes, laser surgery and airborne school.

What you qualify for when you enlist is different than what you qualify for when you are actually in the Army, people all over the army are doing stuff they arent technically "qualified" to do. If youre eyes are "bad" nowm they might be alright once you actually get in and get to a unit.

Airborne slots are awarded out at basic/AIT as well as during initial enlistment. If you want something you didnt get in your contract, work hard and earn it in basic/AIT or go to a unit that has the school or specialty you are looking for.

Lasik. The Army will do laser eye surgery for Soldiers, its an order of precendence/order of merit thing, Combat Soldiers (Infantry/Armor/etc) I think have priority.
Old 10-20-2010, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblack1234 View Post
Any insight on college credits to get rank?
If you have college credits, you can be meritoriously promoted up to E-4 (Specialist) for a Bachlors degree.

Contrary to the ignorant/uniformed belief, most college educated folks dont want to be Officers, they want to jump out of airplanes and shoot bad guys in the face, so we give them a meritorious promotion instead of having them come in at the lowest pay grade.
Old 10-20-2010, 4:21 PM

Quote:
My input... plugs are stupid.

Depending on your ship date, I would consider getting them stitched if they will heal all the way in time.

Im guessing your ship date is sometime around feb or mar, which should give you more than enough time.
yep, 20110329. I checked into getting them stitched up but noway I can afford that right now. Someone told me to try to rub preparation H on them maybe it will shrink up a little bit.
Old 10-20-2010, 6:04 PM

FYI...

I spoke with an enlisted National Guard recruiter over lunch today and was informed that all waivers are currently being denied for NG enlistments.
Old 10-20-2010, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX9989 View Post
FYI...

I spoke with an enlisted National Guard recruiter over lunch today and was informed that all waivers are currently being denied for NG enlistments.
Excuse my ignorance, but what's a waiver?
Old 10-20-2010, 8:24 PM

No worries. In this case it means getting permission to enlist in the armed forces despite having a condition that would normally prohibit service. Some examples are: a large number of dependents, an injury, or a criminal conviction.

When strength and numbers are down, waivers stand a better chance of getting approved.
Old 10-20-2010, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX9989 View Post
No worries. In this case it means getting permission to enlist in the armed forces despite having a condition that would normally prohibit service. Some examples are: a large number of dependents, an injury, or a criminal conviction.

When strength and numbers are down, waivers stand a better chance of getting approved.
Got it, thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 9:44 AM

I have a question about weight. I'm not overweight, I'm under, (5'10", 130 sometimes, under). Is that an issue, (I could eat fast food everyday and not weigh much more, but I don't). I have been told they only care if you don't eat, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Im a Marine coming up on my EAS, Im looking at joining the Army, Army Reserves, ARNG. The MOS osnt really a big deal for me, but looking for EOD, MP, or other Combat Arms MOS's in the POG side. Dont care about a bonus, Ive made enough money deploying. Here's my questions:

Im an E4, will I go in as an E4 is it possible to enlist as a Sgt?

I enlisted in the Corps with a Waiver for Asthma, an a waiver for a broken femur. Will this bring any complications to the table as far as enlisting goes?

Im a Marine, so of course Im tattooed. I have a quarter sleeve that can be hidden by a t-shirt, a cross on my forearm that can be covered by a hand, and a warrior tattoo on my biced that can also be covered by a hand. None are gang related or anything bad, but will I be allowed to enlist with these tats?

Thanks man.
Old 10-22-2010, 7:34 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just posted my own thread but maybe you can help me.

Hi everybody I'm an lvn thinking about joining the guard both to serve my country and stop being that guy that wishes he did, and second to help attain my RN/BSN. With the amount of schooling I have there are 2 options available to me.
1st enlist straight up E3 go to boot and then 16 weeks for my mos training for medic. Boot mos training as a medic is 16 weeks being an lvn(something they offer in advanced mos training) my recruiter said I "may be able to test out of some of it and it cuts it down to 9 weeks" Is this true? Also why must I attend MOS for medic at all if I have the license they consider advanced MOS training? They said an EMT license could bypass my mos training but as an LVN my training is more advanced than EMT's. Any lvn guardsmen out there that can set me straight my recruiter is still unsure. Along with my lvn I am also IV certified BLS trained and hemodialysis trained.

2nd option I have enough credits in college to head straight to OCS after boot. The pro to this option is the obvious. I get more money and hold a higher rank. The con is I do not get as much money for school. I'm not elligible for a GRDF scholarship.
As an officer can I still get SLRP? Do I get the same GI bill?
So anyway which option would be better my end goal is to get either a BSN or an RN and continue in the guard as an RN doing my duty for country when they call.
BTW Thank you in advance for any input you can provide and also a sincere thank you for your service.
GOD BLESS
Old 10-23-2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
Im a Marine coming up on my EAS, Im looking at joining the Army, Army Reserves, ARNG. The MOS osnt really a big deal for me, but looking for EOD, MP, or other Combat Arms MOS's in the POG side. Dont care about a bonus, Ive made enough money deploying. Here's my questions:

I enlisted in the Corps with a Waiver for Asthma, an a waiver for a broken femur. Will this bring any complications to the table as far as enlisting goes?

Im a Marine, so of course Im tattooed. I have a quarter sleeve that can be hidden by a t-shirt, a cross on my forearm that can be covered by a hand, and a warrior tattoo on my biced that can also be covered by a hand. None are gang related or anything bad, but will I be allowed to enlist with these tats?

Thanks man.
as far as your tattooes go, I wouldnt think it should be an issue? I tried enlisting in the Marine Corps and went to like 10 different recruiters and everyone of them said my tattooes disqualified me. I have both arms sleeved and pretty much every part of my body is tattooed. Went to the Army and only issues they had were with a curse word I had tattooed on me and a picture of uncle sam flippin the bird. fixed those two and no problems at all. There was a guy at meps enlisting in the Army who had ink on his neck that they waivered too.
Old 10-23-2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam8d1 View Post
as far as your tattooes go, I wouldnt think it should be an issue? I tried enlisting in the Marine Corps and went to like 10 different recruiters and everyone of them said my tattooes disqualified me. I have both arms sleeved and pretty much every part of my body is tattooed. Went to the Army and only issues they had were with a curse word I had tattooed on me and a picture of uncle sam flippin the bird. fixed those two and no problems at all. There was a guy at meps enlisting in the Army who had ink on his neck that they waivered too.
Wow, that surprised me to hear that. The USMC has gotten so tringent with tattoos lately that its a little hard to stomach. Good Marines are being denied B Billets and re enlistments because of ink. But anyways, thats one obstacle down at least.
Old 10-24-2010, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

As the people above hinted at and as I stated in another post, I wouldn't be allowed to join the Marines due to a recent conservative shift in tattoo policy.
But I believe I would be within Army regulation.

Is the tattoo policy the same for enlisted soldiers and officers (in the Army)?

I think I want to finish college first and try to join as an officer.
Also, are there officers out in the field fighting (not NCOs/WOs)?
Or are they mostly back calling shots.

For the record, I ask because I would want to be in the field.

*Edit to add* Should I try to join the National Guard or Reserves while I'm in school part-time and working full-time? Will it help me later? Or would I be better off just focusing on school.

Last edited by Anchors; 10-24-2010 at 8:31 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 7:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks man.
You will enter at the same rank that you EAS. So that means that you will enlist as an E4/SPC (specialist)

As far as your asthma waiver and broken femur. Honestly man...my advice is to not get out. You'll have a VERY VERY hard time getting in to another branch. I'm a Guard recruiter and I can tell you that there is exactly a 0% chance of you being accepted.

But the Tats are fine.
Old 10-25-2010, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Thanks man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBooty View Post
You will enter at the same rank that you EAS. So that means that you will enlist as an E4/SPC (specialist)

As far as your asthma waiver and broken femur. Honestly man...my advice is to not get out. You'll have a VERY VERY hard time getting in to another branch. I'm a Guard recruiter and I can tell you that there is exactly a 0% chance of you being accepted.

But the Tats are fine.
Yeah. Im with CB... dont get out if you still want to serve, you will have a VERY difficult time getting back in to any service.
Old 10-25-2010, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fspeed View Post
I have a question about weight. I'm not overweight, I'm under, (5'10", 130 sometimes, under). Is that an issue, (I could eat fast food everyday and not weigh much more, but I don't). I have been told they only care if you don't eat, but I figured I'd ask.
Should be fine, as long as you are not sickly skinny and have some sort of eating disorder.