Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-11-2010, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM2004 View Post
Well, I actually got cross trained and deployed as a SatCom Operator, so I only did a little bit of IT work in Iraq. Needless to say, it sucked. Laptops fried from overheating/dust, and brain dead officers thinking that the CD drive was a cup holder (no joke). My favorite call of distress, however, came from a Major in the COC... He called us, PISSED OFF and cussing, because he couldn't connect to the media server to watch movies. Demanded we stop everything we were doing, and come figure out his connection problem. So, we stopped our REAL Marine Corps work, walked the 10 minutes to his office in full combat gear (125 degree heat, wind blowing, but just before a sandstorm hit - luckily) only to find out that... The idiot didn't plug the LAN (network) cable into the laptop. I was praying for a sniper to end my misery...

On a side note, Happy Birthday Marines, Semper Fi !!!
A belated HB to the USMC from here.

In over a decade of IT I only heard of the cupholder miscue, never saw it. That's priceless...

I did have a doctor scream at me (literally) regarding his inability to print when I was in healthcare IT. If he hadn't hit 'cancel' on his Win95 PC, bypassing the network logon, he'd have been printing to his network printer. Some folks get to the point that they handle so much high-brains stuff they screw up the easy things.
Old 11-11-2010, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenV View Post
A belated HB to the USMC from here.

In over a decade of IT I only heard of the cupholder miscue, never saw it. That's priceless...
I never believed in the cup holder thing either, until one day we got a call from some officer, saying his cup holder wouldn't open or close anymore. We had no idea what 'cup holder' he was referring to, so we HAD to go check it out. We figured "No way could someone with a college degree NOT know what a CD Drive was... Right? I mean... Wait... AHHH CRAP! SERIOUSLY?! And we work for this guy?!" Turned out, he was an older gentleman who got his degree the old fashioned way - Pen and paper. He was too smart for his own good.
Old 11-11-2010, 5:11 PM

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

[WAR_STORY_ALERT]

1st left-nut was having fun at the grenade range, right up until they had a dud (other than the LT). The LT decides to have everyone throw grenades at the area of the dud grenade. After that stroke of genius he had another thought, he tied tripwire to the pin of a grenade and took it down range. He managed to find the first grenade without killing himself so he placed the new grenade next to it, went back to the pits, and started pulling... When he had reeled in the pin, without an explosion, he decided it was time to call EOD.

When we finally got to the bottom of things (talked to the NCOIC) we had one dud grenade with numerous frag holes in it, and "somewhere out in the elephant grass was a grenade with the spoon being held down by grass.

We were VERY VERY ANGRY... When we told him that HE was going down range to find his grenade, he about wet his pants and declined the honor. His NCOIC helpfully pointed out that the senior EOD NCO on the range was "in command", NOT the LT. We let him off the hook after he lost about a gallon of sweat.

[WAR_STORY_ALERT/]

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe
Old 11-11-2010, 5:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodger
I was USAF. The Marines called us "Airedales."

Well, they called us other things too.
And of course, you called them all 'sir,' right?

- LT, USNR, 1115. 1999-2003
When I was in the Air Force I worked with Marines a few times - they called me "Sgt", and I generally called them by their rank or "Marine" if I couldn't see their collars.

When you get into the joint ops mode, you save the anger for your common enemies (like the Navy), and the heckling for off duty.

It worked the same way when I was in the Army and banked at Marine Corps West Credit Union in Barstow. There we shared the "common foe" of civilian guys with longer hair and nicer cars. Had a few Marine drinking buddies in Barstow that were shocked when they found out I was in the Army (they assumed that since they saw me at the credit union, I called the Marines in uniform by their ranks, had a good haircut, and dogged out the Navy, that I must be one of them - I wasn't posing or trying to fool them at all, in fact they tried to tell me I was lying when I told them I was in the Army).

Note that items in blue italics are added for goodnatured humor only, and should not be taken as an attack on those fellows in the bell bottom jeans who travel in boats.
Old 11-12-2010, 6:04 AM

Quote:
I never believed in the cup holder thing either, until one day we got a call from some officer, saying his cup holder wouldn't open or close anymore. We had no idea what 'cup holder' he was referring to, so we HAD to go check it out. We figured "No way could someone with a college degree NOT know what a CD Drive was... Right? I mean... Wait... AHHH CRAP! SERIOUSLY?! And we work for this guy?!" Turned out, he was an older gentleman who got his degree the old fashioned way - Pen and paper. He was too smart for his own good.
Hey, as a cupholder it was doing what he wanted it to do

That's a different generation right there. I am reminded of teaching my Mom the DVR at her place. For someone who has accomplished so much she's stumped by the multi-remote.
Old 11-12-2010, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
He would need to be at least my age to be wearing that Viet Nam service ribbon and I don't see any gray hair or wrinkles on that dirtbag.
Wish I could snatch that ribbon off of his chest, my grandfather served in Korea and Vietnam as a Marine, he earned his, may he rest in peace, he passed earlier this year while I was, and currently still am, deployed in Afghanistan, at least I can bring one more ribbon to place on his grave, OORAH

Oh, and Sgt, I wouldve spartan-kicked that imposter brat out the door, job or no job, no one insults my family (3rd Generation Marine).

Old 11-12-2010, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedogboy View Post
When I was in the Air Force I worked with Marines a few times - they called me "Sgt" ...
Ugh it took me sooo long to try to remember the ranks for each branch. Then having to remember the Naval ranks for different jobs... I eventually gave up haha. Any Air Force personnel with more stripes than me I called "Sgt" too. Then there was the generic Army "Sgt"... The generic Navy "Chief"... I learned that one the hard way - Saluting the shiny stuff as a boot PFC, only to have the Chief put me at attention, then laugh at me and walk away... Yup, they got me good.
Old 11-12-2010, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenV View Post
Hey, as a cupholder it was doing what he wanted it to do

That's a different generation right there. I am reminded of teaching my Mom the DVR at her place. For someone who has accomplished so much she's stumped by the multi-remote.
Something comes to mind about women not being able to handle the responsibility that is the TV remote control... But quickly gets dismissed after I remember that mindset cost me my first marriage... NEVER change a man's football game - Especially if it is his favorite team playing a rivalry game, in anticipation of making the playoffs! I banished her to the bedroom for the rest of the night, and she took the TV the next day... And the couch... And the dogs... And... You get the point.
Old 11-13-2010, 9:25 AM

Noted. So much for sending my better half to the couch post-disagreement.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ugh it took me sooo long to try to remember the ranks for each branch. Then having to remember the Naval ranks for different jobs... I eventually gave up haha. Any Air Force personnel with more stripes than me I called "Sgt" too. Then there was the generic Army "Sgt"... The generic Navy "Chief"... I learned that one the hard way - Saluting the shiny stuff as a boot PFC, only to have the Chief put me at attention, then laugh at me and walk away... Yup, they got me good.
I am still confused by the Air Force enlisted ranks. Navy was no problem, except for the individual job rates. We had a Senior Chief in our medical section that made sure you knew that he was a Senior Chief.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I am still confused by the Air Force enlisted ranks. Navy was no problem, except for the individual job rates. We had a Senior Chief in our medical section that made sure you knew that he was a Senior Chief.
Navy Corpsmen ranks were the easiest ones in the world to remember. "Hey Doc!"

Yeah it was the individual jobs that threw me off. I didn't know about that as a boot, so I never took the time to learn them. Luckily, I only ever really dealt with Corpsmen, so it didn't really matter too much.
Old 11-18-2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Navy Corpsmen ranks were the easiest ones in the world to remember. "Hey Doc!"
I would have traded a hospital FULL of ARMY doctors for one good corpsman. The only ARMY "Doc" that I ever thought was qualified was the Warrant Officer (almost doctor) in charge of the Personnel Reliability Program medical facility. (Nuclear Surety Program)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe
Old 11-18-2010, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
I would have traded a hospital FULL of ARMY doctors for one good corpsman. The only ARMY "Doc" that I ever thought was qualified was the Warrant Officer (almost doctor) in charge of the Personnel Reliability Program medical facility. (Nuclear Surety Program)
I only ever met one Corpsman I didn't like as a person, but I would have trusted my life in his hands any day of the week. He had an oversize ego because he hit the brush with some Special Forces guys here and there. Didn't help that he was Russian, either. They're naturally hard headed... He was a prick, but he was one of the best...

Spent many a drunken nights with a couple other Corpsmen friends of mine. We would all get plastered, then get hooked up to an IV overnight and be perfectly fine the next morning... Great times. Now, when I go to civilian doctors and nurses, I sit there pissed off all day because they don't care, they have no passion for their jobs, they just collect a paycheck nowadays. They are all overpaid *******s who just wanna run test after test for no reason other than to pass you off to someone else so they don't have to deal with you. "Doc, you really need to keep testing me? My finger is MISSING, what the hell are you ordering an x-ray for?!"
Old 11-19-2010, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Army doc wanted to pull a tooth, I asked for a 2nd opinion and got a Navy doc. As soon as I told him the Army wanted to pull it he promised he could save it, and he did!
Old 11-20-2010, 1:45 AM

Too much socom and one to many 5hour energy drinks.. people are strange...
Old 11-21-2010, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
Hawk missiles? They were axed at least 10 years ago.

16 years ago, and I remember my boot camp squad, platoon, company, and battalion.
26 years ago and I remember my Platoon, Company, Bn, and all my DI's names.
And every unit I was with after that.

Semper Fi!

Old 11-23-2010, 2:43 PM

Quote:
I only ever met one Corpsman I didn't like as a person, but I would have trusted my life in his hands any day of the week. He had an oversize ego because he hit the brush with some Special Forces guys here and there. Didn't help that he was Russian, either. They're naturally hard headed... He was a prick, but he was one of the best...

Spent many a drunken nights with a couple other Corpsmen friends of mine. We would all get plastered, then get hooked up to an IV overnight and be perfectly fine the next morning... Great times. Now, when I go to civilian doctors and nurses, I sit there pissed off all day because they don't care, they have no passion for their jobs, they just collect a paycheck nowadays. They are all overpaid *******s who just wanna run test after test for no reason other than to pass you off to someone else so they don't have to deal with you. "Doc, you really need to keep testing me? My finger is MISSING, what the hell are you ordering an x-ray for?!"
They called EOD people nuts because we went Hi-diddle-diddle with a bag of explosives, a K-Bar, and a 45. The medics went along and all they had was a box of bandaids. It's always nice to tag-along with a band of Uncle Sugars Misguided Children...