Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-13-2010, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Default Ask a deployed soldier anything

Soldier 415 had an amazing thread going while he was deployed - same title as this thread. I thought it would be fun if it continued - except this time any Soldier (I use the term generically to encompass all branches) who has seen deployment can answer questions. I know I learned a lot from the last thread!

Okay, I'll go first.

In Iraq/Afghanistan, where do the servicemen go to get their hair cut? I notice that even in spite of heavy fighting and distant FOBs, the men in the pictures are still sporting regulation hair cuts. Is there a barber available or is it DIY with an electric clipper?
Old 05-13-2010, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Locals are hired for many functions such as fast food (while there), barbers, uniform pressing, etc. That is, if you are at a decent sized base. But even some of the smallest bases have locals who would love to earn some American money doing menial work.
Old 05-13-2010, 8:44 AM

As Win above stated, most bases hire locals or TCN's (Third Country Nationals) to cut hair. If you are on a COP/CAP, police station, etc there is usually at least one guy per platoon who can cut hair. He becomes the un-designated plt barber.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

How often during a typical deployment do you get to call home, or e-mail?
Old 05-13-2010, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Haircuts from locals or DIY. Usually bic my head, but let a local barber do it once with a straight razor, talk about be nervous in the chair!

As for calls, most fobs have call centers and some units keep sat phones.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I emailed home all I wanted when the net was up. I had my own laptop, but if you do not have one them you get to wait at the USO for a desktop to open up. You can wait hours and have nothing available, then when you do get a computer it can be the one that has issues.

When I was in Bosnia it was about $1 a minute to call home. AT&T gave out calling cards with 5 mins each to help out. Today with cell phones, google voice, skype, etc, there is really no reason to not stay in touch.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:51 AM

Our TOC/HQ had a DSN line in it, so during "off" hours (ie. non-business hours), you were allowed to make a "morale call". Most of the fobbits used it daily. The guys heading outside the wire either used it before mission or not at all.

I had internet access on my downtime, but rarely contacted family. The less they heard from me, the less they would think something went wrong in case I missed a "scheduled" e-mail or call. I usually sent one mass e-mail a month and made one phone call every other month.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Here are some thoughts I had while deployed, so you can see what may go through one's mind.

When you drive, you hope gas prices don't go up today.
When I drive, I hope my vehicle armor is thick enough.

When you pay taxes, you wonder if the money is wasted.
When I pick up a firearm, I thank you for arming me with the best weapon available.

When you get vacation time off, you wonder how far away you can get.
When I get vacation time off, I wonder how close to home I can get.

You feel in a rut when you have to go home to the same old life.
Sometimes I feel hollow because I will never have the same old life.

You see dirty children and worry they may be tomorrow's welfare recipients.
I see dirty children and wonder if they may be tomorrow's killers, or victims.

A stranger asks you for $5 and you flip him the bird and tell him to get a job.
A stranger asks me for $5 and his eyes say he will not live through the night.

You feel that receiving $50,000 can calm all the concerns in your life.
I'll give you $50,000 cash right now if you can calm just one of mine.

You look at all blank spots in your passport and wonder if you will ever travel.
I look at the full pages in my passport and wonder if my traveling will ever stop.

You worry about your auto insurance coverage and don't give a second thought to life insurance.
I worry about my life insurance coverage and don't give a second thought to auto insurance.

You wake up and say "Oh God no not another day."
I wake up and say, "Thank God I have lived to see another day."

You get upset at all the junk mail you receive.
I see junk mail as one more link to home, and read it all.

You define convenience as fast food, Tivo, central heating, and a comfy chair.
I define convenience as a Choice MRE, a complete rifle cleaning kit, finding an extra postage stamp, and a foxhole someone already dug.

You carry an iPod to hear the tunes.
I carry an E&E radio to hear the alerts.

You know old people who die.
I know people who die who never got to be old people.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

^^^^^That's really cool, man!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
Here are some thoughts I had while deployed, so you can see what may go through one's mind.
We thank you for being the "Sheepdog"...So many here are not worthy of your sacrifice...

Okay. Question: As an armed force in a foreign land, Is there or has there been any native citizen that you really trust?...or is everyone generally working some angle?

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

How is the washing of uniforms accomplished, and how often might they be washed? I'm speaking here of a combat soldier away from FOB, not the fobbits.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
We thank you for being the "Sheepdog"...So many here are not worthy of your sacrifice...

Okay. Question: As an armed force in a foreign land, Is there or has there been any native citizen that you really trust?...or is everyone generally working some angle?

At the Embassy we hired locals, and they come out in drives for the chance to work for us. if they work for us for a while, 7 years I think, they can have a fastrack to moving to the US. Yea, 7 years is fast, what a joke. On other operations there are those who know we stand for peace and freedom and they offer their services, sometimes knowing they may not ever see their family again. I have had this happen and I am happy to say that some of those who helped me eventually got green cards and came to the US. It is a big step to have faith in us that we will win since they are brainwashed as to our true intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Director View Post
How is the washing of uniforms accomplished, and how often might they be washed? I'm speaking here of a combat soldier away from FOB, not the fobbits.
We put the uniforms in our laundry bag, tag our name on it, do an inventory count when we turn it in, them come back 2-5 days for later and pick up folded, pressed, nice smelling uniforms. I guess the locals do it. The smaller the sector the better service you usually get. At the FOB the line is way long. :-) For the times that you are away from such facilities, well I can attest that you can go a good 7-10 days in the current ACU uniform without too much of an issue. Air out the t-shirt, wash it with extra canteen water, and you are good to go for another few days. It's not that we smell, we probably do, but we just don't care. Once you get back into camp and clean up, WOW is the difference evident!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM

How much training do you actually go through? What happens after boot camp? Do you have educational opportunities? Why would a college student that never went to ROTC consider enlisting over going to OCS?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

What is the thing you miss the most about being away from home? Other than your family.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvnqsrxk View Post
How much training do you actually go through? What happens after boot camp? Do you have educational opportunities? Why would a college student that never went to ROTC consider enlisting over going to OCS?
I knew a Harvard graduate who was enlisted. He wanted to drive the HMMWV (Hummer). He wanted to serve as a driver and nothing more. Kudos to him. Army paid my college loans off too, about $12k worth. Training? well you have Basic and AIT which gives you your MOS. Then you have schools for advancement. You need to beat out everyone else, and some ranks require certain schooling. Plan on Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC) which is now called Warrior School I think, and Basic and Advanced NCO courses (BNCOC and ANCOC), and there are 2 levels of each course, the 2nd being MOS specific. Then you have correspondence courses too. LOTS of training opportunities other than crawling through the mud.

After boot camp you get your MOS school and then go on to your first unit of assignment. Mine was in Panama. After a tour (2 years for Panama) then you go on to your next assignment. It may even be the one you want!

As for enlisting vs OCS, hmmm. Maybe he is not officer material. Maybe he thinks making E-9 is better than making Colonel (some officers feel it is!). Officers definitely get better pay and prestige. I stayed enlisted so I cannot answer that one. I guess my calling was to be enlisted. :>

Quote:
Originally Posted by novabrian View Post
What is the thing you miss the most about being away from home? Other than your family.
You wonder if anyone cares that you are deployed. An idle mind is your enemy. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas the cards, letters and care packages pour in from around the country. Schoolkids write letters and everyone is aware that you are overseas for the holidays. But it dries up in the middle of January. Trouble is that the protesters never dry up. God kills soldiers because of America's homosexuals, Jody is ****ing your wife while you are away, you can die and no one will know or care. Oh we know it is not really that way, but to come back to the US and see the things people whine about makes me hopping angry. Fist fights over parking spots? Shooting a man for his dog peeing on the grass? Outlaw ammo shipments? Good God people what has happened while I was deployed? Get your act together! If this country IS ever invaded their tunes may change, but for now you can sleep well at night, you can plan on the grass and not worry about it being mined, and people use cell phones to make calls and not activate bombs.

But I digress, sorry of I got on a roll there. :> VERY much missed TV and radio, and SUNDAY PAPERS of all things.
Old 05-13-2010, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Locals:

Some good, some bad. Good ones stick around, bad ones get weeded out. Some are out for money, some for a chance to travel to the US and some are there to help us help them get thier country back in order, those are the ones I liked the best.

Laundry:

Either bucket wash em or send them back the fob with your resupply. Uniforms can go a for a while without needing to be washed, its your underwear, socks and t shirts that you really want clean. I would buy new socks, underwear and t shirts every chance i had, just so i can feel that brand new, fresh out the package feeling, makes you feel good for a couple days.

Training:

Always training. Doesnt stop with basic training and ait, you keep on training for as long as you are in the Military, even when you are deployed. Got some down time? We are gonna train. Heading out on a mission, we are gonna train. It never stops, nor should it.

Education:

Everyone has education opportunities but not everyone takes advantage of them. In the Army, you have to get a civilian education to stay competetive for promotions. Wanna make First Seargent or Seargent Major? Get a degree.

College students:

Most people (college students included) do not qualify for officer programs. College doesnt make you smart, it just gives you a degree that gives you the illusion of being smart. However, for those that do qualify but choose not to take the officer route... Everyones reason is different. Most commonly, its because they want to do the cool stuff that officers dont get to do. As an enlisted Soldier, you spend most of your career working with the troops, you are a leader, trainer and a mentor. As an officer, you spend alot less time "on the line" and a lot more time politicking and doing paperwork. Officers in the Military may issues the orders, but its the NCOs (enlisted leaders) who actually make things happen.
Old 05-13-2010, 1:50 PM

Quote:
My personal guns since the army will not let me use them in a deployment.
Old 05-13-2010, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

im in afghanistan with the 40th you can ask me anything i can tell you
Old 05-13-2010, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
food
Old 05-13-2010, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvnqsrxk View Post
training ALL THE TIME.....school is on you how much sleep you want to give up....ocs not sure
Old 05-13-2010, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
im in afghanistan with the 40th you can ask me anything i can tell you
What is your opinion of the Afghans as a people?

Thank you for your service - thank you all.
Old 05-13-2010, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What is your opinion of the Afghans as a people?

Thank you for your service - thank you all.
this is from me not my unit: they suck, they will not do much for them selfs, they smell so bad, they treat there women so bad when i get done with this mission hit me up i tell you what i saw in and around our AO and FOB, it will blow your mind...it also seems that they are on the take from both sides , you go help them with H.A they chuck rocks at you. the kids are bad they act like gang bangers with there foul months..

Last edited by goathead; 05-13-2010 at 7:26 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

the best of the Afghan people are the ANA,some of the ANP, and the ASG are good people willing to dye for you!!! if the afghan people were all like that they would one of the best countrys in the world
Old 05-13-2010, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
this is from me not my unit: they suck, they will not do much for them selfs, they smell so bad, they treat there women so bad when i get done with this mission hit me up i tell you what i saw in and around our AO and FOB, it will blow your mind...it also seems that they are on the take from both sides , you go help them with H.A they chuck rocks at you. the kids are bad they act like gang bangers with there foul months..
Wow! I'd love to hear the stories when you return, for sure bro!

What is H.A.?

Also, another question....how much interaction do you have with the contractors, and what is your relationship to them as most are former mil but are now making way more $$ and have more freedom....is there resentment?

Also (odd question) Have you eaten any native Afghan food (what the Afghans eat) and is it any good?
Old 05-13-2010, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Who decides who goes where?

Who decides who goes to Afghanistan, Iraq or to the bases around the world like South Korea, Italy, Germany, Guam?

Did you go into bootcamp knowing where you were gonna go?

How is that decided? I've always wondered.

Last edited by FNH5-7; 05-13-2010 at 8:07 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

^that's a good question. Can't wait to hear the answer.
Old 05-13-2010, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wow! I'd love to hear the stories when you return, for sure bro!

What is H.A.?

Also, another question....how much interaction do you have with the contractors, and what is your relationship to them as most are former mil but are now making way more $$ and have more freedom....is there resentment?

Also (odd question) Have you eaten any native Afghan food (what the Afghans eat) and is it any good?
H.A. = humanitarian assistances

i eat the food all the time, out on the street and on base... chow hall sucks after a while

contractors??? like work kinda of work dont you mean
Old 05-13-2010, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNH5-7 View Post

Who decides who goes to Afghanistan, Iraq or to the bases around the world like South Korea, Italy, Germany, Guam?

decides= D.A. Dept of the Army

Did you go into bootcamp knowing where you were gonna go...

i went 15 year ago i have been in for awhile there was no war,, but i guess when i did joint i was hoping

Last edited by goathead; 05-13-2010 at 8:31 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Department of Defense, Department of the Army.

same as above

No, very few people get "duty station of choice" as an option.

Its based on the need for your MOS in a certain unit. If you have a certian type of special training in your contract like Airborne or Ranger, then you are more likely to go to certain installations. When I went through training, we had "dream sheets" where you filled out your top 6 choices of where to be stationed, 3 in the states, 3 overseas, from there, they send you wherever they need you. Luckily, I got my first choice, 3ID, Ft Stewart, GA.
Answers for US Army.

Last edited by CavTrooper; 05-13-2010 at 8:20 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for answering.

I've always wondered why some go directly to Afghanistan/Iraq and some go to military bases around the world.

Last edited by FNH5-7; 05-13-2010 at 8:53 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for answering.

I've always wondered why some go directly to Afghanistan/Iraq and some go to military bases around there world.
No one goes directly to Iraq or Afghanistan after training, everyone has a permanent duty station they deploy from.
Old 05-13-2010, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
No one goes directly to Iraq or Afghanistan after training, everyone has a permanent duty station they deploy from.
But there are some real cush deployments like Korea, etc. How do other soldiers look upon those who get selected for deployments where they almost certainly won't see combat?
Old 05-13-2010, 8:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Of course, but some of these stations are within The United States, correct?

Quote:
But there are some real cush deployments like Korea, etc. How do other soldiers look upon those who get selected for deployments where they almost certainly won't see combat?
Bingo, that's what I was trying to ask, just couldn't phrase it correctly.
Old 05-13-2010, 8:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Soldiers deploy from everywhere. About the only place you dont deploy from is a training base and if you happen to get that as your first duty station, most folks just feel sorry for you.

Korea is by no means cush from what Ive been told (never been stationed there). They train hard in horrible conditions for a good portion of the year and until recently (maybe still is) Korea was considered a hardship tour.

Every assignment has it challenges and its benefits, the only people who really get looked down on are those who have "homestead" at a training base, changed thier MOS to "recruiter" (as opposed to being temporarily assigned to recruiting detail) and people who do everything they can to get out of deployments.
Old 05-13-2010, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Of course, but some of these stations are within The United States, correct?

Yes, most are in the states.

Bingo, that's what I was trying to ask, just couldn't phrase it correctly.
Getting stationed overseas can be pretty damn cool. Going to Germany, Okinawa, Hawaii or Alaska to name a few.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
that is kinda tough to have one answer it. there were many things that i missed while i was gone.

1) i missed my dog for one.
2) i missed my friends and wondered what they were doing.
3) i missed going to the movies with a good friend of mine.
4) my job i like my job and it is a good on to this day.
5) going fishing and hunting
6) just being home in general.

day to day factors of life in the war zone. going to work and thinking all of the sudden what is going on at your house and wonder if it will be standing when you return. losing a friends you make while there. that is the tough part.

going out on missions whether it be a raid or just a CA mission i was always as ready as i can be.

what is strange when you return home everyone's lives has moved on. you on the other hand have pretty much stood still in time as things you have been doing at home stopped and you changed your routine and have to come home and readjust to being home. and your friends looking at you a little more different than before you left that sometimes bugs me. but if they are truly good friends they will understand you.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Not yourself, that's for sure. After basic training (bootcamp) and before you graduate MOS training (AIT), you can submit a top 3 wish list that you want to go but it's not guaranteed. Mine was Italy, Germany, then Hawaii, and I ended up in Hawaii. Most people usually get what they choose if it's a big division so unless you asked for some weird location that are limited in size, you'll probably land in your top 3.

Quote:
Iraq and Afghanistan are deployments so top brass gets together and sizes up all their available troops and unit strength and sets the orders to which unit deploys where based on that data. My last unit, 25th ID hawaii, hasn't deployed since vietnam but stayed deployed as a division from 03' to present doing rotations.

Korea, Italy, Germany, etc... can be volunteered for (or voluntold) during AIT or if your time is about to be up, you can reenlist to go to certain areas.

Last edited by socalshooting; 05-13-2010 at 9:21 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 9:20 PM

Quote:
H.A. = humanitarian assistances
We received instruction, oh, I'd say around February, telling us that H.A. is no longer the approved term. It is now PSP. Population Support Package.

NTM
Old 05-13-2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
This is my personal opinion but every soldier, marine, airman, sailor has a function and a purpose since all their services are needed. I've known a few guys coming from korea near the DMZ and back then it was still considered hazardous duty (don't know if it is anymore) and they were just as sharp as any other soldier. They also do PT in the freezing snow. The only people that I frown upon, like cavtrooper said, are ones that signed up (for the bonus and college money) but don't want to do their duty when it comes time for deployment and try to get out of it. Fobbit officers that hoard all the cr123 batteries for their flashlights so they can find the portajohns at night annoy me as well. Pretty much any deuchebag.
Old 05-13-2010, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
We received instruction, oh, I'd say around February, telling us that H.A. is no longer the approved term. It is now PSP. Population Support Package.

NTM
so do you miss afghanistan yet Sir