Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-17-2011, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiehjohn View Post
Marine Corp

I was a enlisted Marine for 4 years.

officer corp versus enlisted corp.
It is spelled Corps, Marine...
Hmm....
Old 02-17-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
I'm not a douchebag. lol.
I cannot vouch for this j/k

Quote:
And to add:
If you have any disposition besides Dismissed or Not Guilty, they count as guilty.
Also, if you had to do diversion, probation, community service, or anything else to get it dismissed it counts as guilty.
Also, if you were a juvenile, that doesn't matter and it still counts against you the same.
I got in trouble as a juvenile and did a diversion to get it dropped, but I am still DQ (for now, not PDQ. They just aren't allowed to grant the waiver).
This information is spot on.

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 02-17-2011, 9:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1buc View Post

You are inviting the standard, "Marines are dumb", line of insults here.
Please re-read my post, slowly with pronounced annunciation.....

".......I have never scrubbed another man's toilet unless I was pissing and crapping in it myself"

Everybody scrubs toilets at some point. My point was I never scrubbed a baby-faced officer's latrine. Your rant made it sound as if you were some whipping boy to a JO and have some serious butter bar envy. My past experiences have been that those guys deserved the "crap" details of cleaning another man's poop can.

Most of my ire about the OP's post is the "last resort" mentality. It's as if the OP is resigning himself to "settle" for the Military as one would settle on suicide or a fat wife. The Military is the last bastion of, in my opinion, true professionals. The last bastion of men who truly live the selfless service and love of something greater than yourself lifestyle.
If you can't understand that, Marine, I would have to say you lived life as a toilet scrubbing REMF.
Since you still did not answer my question, I am assuming that you were serving in the girl scout ....... I too would be embaressed to disclose that fact as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 9:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrm View Post
Riddle me this batman... I have 2+ years of combat experience (1 of which was as a squad leader). I have been in the Army for 8 years. He will be in charge of not only me, but the other squad leaders in my platoon. Tell me exactly what would qualify him to be my boss?
That would be a question for your Sgt Major and the Commanding General. Or better yet, if you think you are more qualified, why not just tell your command to pump sand and fill that billet yourself.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
That would be a question for your Sgt Major and the Commanding General. Or better yet, if you think you are more qualified, why not just tell your command to pump sand and fill that billet yourself.
You really think a College Degree is worth more than 2 years of combat experience in combat?

Edit: A Sergeant Major is enlisted for the record.

Quote:

Last edited by Zorrm; 02-18-2011 at 12:29 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntech View Post
No No No you need to go back to school and get educated the list goes as follows:

Recon Marines
Marines
Lifeguards
Navy Seals
Army Rangers
Airforce PJS
Army cooks
Army SF

Army cooks?
Old 02-18-2011, 6:32 AM

Ya the ones that make your food in combat zones when you aint eating MRE's.

Quote:
"How many more tragedies does it take before we do something,” he demanded. “How many more children have to die before this country realizes that No-Gun Zones create perfect locations for violence? You can not stop criminals and mad men with laws, you can only stop violence with the fear of armed victims."
-Alan Gottlieb
Old 02-18-2011, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No felonies, no drug charges of any kind (ever), no open court actions (including traffic), must be able to carry a weapon (didn't see that coming did you )... if you have too many misdemeanors it's a no go as well. A lot of things can disqualify you... it's really easy to do it.
I'm not sure how it is now, but about a year and a half (maybe 2) ago, my younger brother decided he wanted to join the military. At the age of 16(he's 24 now) he got caught with some kind of controlled substance, I think it was valium or vicoden. Anyways, every branch but the Army turned him down. The Marines said the reason was because of this drug charge.. We were all under the impression it wouldn't even show up on his record, but I guess it did. The Army was still trying to get him to join, though. Maybe things have changed.

Quote:
DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED!

Its like applying at McDonalds and having a degree. Are all you guys on crack telling this kid to go enlisted?? Would you want to scrub toilets for an officer? Or do you want to be an officer getting your toilet scrubbed.

The bigger question is, which branch of service are you getting into? You should consider the following in the order I am presenting to you:

Air Force
Navy (they advertise that they will bring you home alive)
Army
Marine Corp

Not bagging on the marines, I was a enlisted Marine for 4 years. No matter what your job is as an enlisted Marine, you will start out as a janitor!

Also, look at the pay difference between the officer corp versus enlisted corp. What are you guys smoking????
Don't forget the little ol Coast Guard!
I also never scrubbed any officer toilets. I only cleaned toilets that I used. I do agree that he should go Officer if he can, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
I apologize if you guys took my title in a different demeanor. I did not intentionally make it sound like I was looking down at the military. The military will be a solution to being career less. And If I make that choice that will be my choice.
I think I'm probably the only person who didn't take this post the wrong way. It's not like you said "I really want to be an architect, or work on wall street, or be a businessman, BUT if not, I'm going to join the Military as a last resort.." That would be different, IMO. You already wanted to do something in LE, so military would be a good choice.

Oh, and I can give you some CG advice, but I have no information on the ME rating. It's fairly new, and either way, I really don't know a ton about other rates.. I'm an OS, so if you want some OS advice, ask away.

Last edited by cgseanp1; 02-18-2011 at 8:30 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 8:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
You really think a College Degree is worth more than 2 years of combat experience in combat?

Who do you think makes the decision to put the officers there??? So why don't you ask the decision makers?

No, really? A Sgt Major is enlisted Einstein? Isn't he the highest ranking enlisted? And since you are also enlisted, shouldn't you disclose your concerns with your higher ups on your chain of command??? Shouldn't this be common knowledge to someone who has over 8 years of experience on the enlisted side? Are you leading a platoon of girl scouts as well? What's your weapon of choice? Chucking Thin Mints at the opposition?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntech View Post
No No No you need to go back to school and get educated the list goes as follows:

Recon Marines
Marines
Lifeguards
Navy Seals
Army Rangers
Airforce PJS
Army cooks
Army SF

awesome list there

Quote:
I'm not a douchebag. lol.

I beg to differ
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 02-18-2011, 3:35 PM

Just my $0.02 here since I was also in a similar situation when I enlisted. I was offered an OCS contract when I first walked in to the recruiters office. I thought it over and eventually I came to this conclusion. If I want money right now I'll go OCS. If I want to be a Combat Arms officer then I'll Enlist. It all came down to what I wanted out of the service. Money or the qualifications to lead fellow brothers. In the end I enlisted as a 68W, my theory being if my medic ever went down (God forbid) I would be able to help my platoon. In retrospect that was really naive. (Good officers rarely have time to puddle around. They entrust their NCO's to get **** done.) I wanted to have boots on dirt time simply because you cannot effectively lead what you do not understand. If I have to send fellow soldiers into combat I want to be damn sure that I'm making the best decisions out there. I have my packet ready for OCS but im not putting it in till I earn some stripes. So to the OP, ask yourself what do you want out of the service and what can you give to help the men and women you are leading.

@Zorrm

SSG,

There is no substitute for combat experience, however you cant judge the ability of a person before they have a chance to prove themselves. You wouldnt be able to judge how well a person can shoot an M16 if they never have handled the weapon (Combat Efficiency). They can have all the literature in the world (ie. ROTC, OCS, Service Academies) but they wont really know until they pull that trigger. As soldiers we should keep an open mind because, well at one point we had no combat experience at all.

I think the idea missing here is Combat Arms vs Support Branches. I would like to think only 30% of officers are actually direct combat arms officers (11A,18A,19A,31A) Sorry Arty I love you to death when SHTF but you're not usually a DIRECT Combat Arms. If you look at most ROTC/OCS curriculum 80% is about leadership management skills. The other 20% is basic soldier skills like battle drills and such. Alot of these cadets will be slotting into an admin right away or later down the line (CO status). So combat efficiency is low right off the bat. Even the DIRECT Combat Arms schools offer some insight but nowhere as near as actual combat. Remember officers are trained to make the OPLAN (and the numerous FRAGO's that go with it). NCO's are the muscle that carry out the OPLAN. A good officer would consult with the SNCOIC and other NCO's before finalizing a plan. NCO's offer alot of input and insight, sometimes the only insight on a mission. However most green officers neglect that part. Im sorry to say but a majority of the 0-1's have this idea that they are better than every enlisted soldier out there. A wee bit of God Complex that we have all seen (Theyre faster, smarter and better at everything). They tend to forget their place and start trying to do the NCO's job which they really arent qualified for. Thats it in a nutshell. Officers do great as planners(*COUGH), but SHOULD leave the executing for the more experienced man. They SHOULD listen to the PSG and squad leaders. Does this happen? Not often enough.

I really got turned off to ROTC when visiting a Unit and being treated like a retard by cadets. I'm academically at the same level at the same university but they treated me like I was dumb... Sir, yes Sir! Right? .....

@hsiehjohn

SGM and Generals are just that, GENERAL officers. They look at the big picture at the Brigade/Battalion level. They arent usually a part of planning/executing the smaller missions. I do believe their job is to keep and sustain the Battalion/Brigade mission by assigning missions to CO's and through them the PLDR. (Plus alot of these guys are kinda old >.<) You really cant blame them as they are just assigning jobs to the people that have the "qualifications" for it. The Company CO usually has to contend with bad/ fresh platoon leaders. Usually Combat arms officers that dont do well in the field are slotted to garrison real quick.

@briandavis

When you get to FSH they'll offer a briefing for the IPAP if you are qualified (Have a BS or BA or substantial college credits)

Thats my rant, thanks for listening

* Btw Id rather follow a SFC into combat over a 2LT ANYDAY EVERYDAY.
Old 02-18-2011, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Who do you think makes the decision to put the officers there??? So why don't you ask the decision makers?

No, really? A Sgt Major is enlisted Einstein? Isn't he the highest ranking enlisted? And since you are also enlisted, shouldn't you disclose your concerns with your higher ups on your chain of command??? Shouldn't this be common knowledge to someone who has over 8 years of experience on the enlisted side? Are you leading a platoon of girl scouts as well? What's your weapon of choice? Chucking Thin Mints at the opposition?
I'm going to walk away from this... you're ridiculous.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2011, 5:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I cannot vouch for this j/k
This information is spot on.
Hahaha nice.

Quote:
'Hmm...'?? Did someone shoot a load into your pie hole?
Very intelligent response.

Quote:

No, really? A Sgt Major is enlisted Einstein? Isn't he the highest ranking enlisted? Shouldn't this be common knowledge to someone who has over 8 years of experience on the enlisted side?
Actually, "a Sergeant Major" isn't the highest ranking enlisted.

The Sergeant Major of the Army and The Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps are the highest ranking enlisted in those branches.
There are several people with the rank "Sergeant Major" and even "Command Sergeant Major (CSM)". It isn't the same and Sergeant Major of the [insert service] is a unique non-commissioned position and a senior enlisted advisor. There is only one from each branch and one for the JCS.

Since you are calling his service into question since you feel he should know something, maybe you should take a self-examination sometime.
Old 02-18-2011, 9:15 PM

Quote:

HAHA yes a college degree is worth more than 2 years in combat. A degree is going to open way more doors than combat experience. It may not be as macho, but it's more useful in a position where troop management and movement comes into play.
Old 02-18-2011, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankyle62 View Post
HAHA yes a college degree is worth more than 2 years in combat. A degree is going to open way more doors than combat experience. It may not be as macho, but it's more useful in a position where troop management and movement comes into play.
I'm talking about in the military... and that's it.

Quote:
Old 02-18-2011, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Boy, you girl scouts sure do get your panties in a twist over BS? So, what is your rank? A Brownie? What's the proper title for the Sgt Major of the Girl Scouts?
You're just a troll. This was a civilized discussion until you came and decided to bombard this thread with your nonsense. Please leave, you're not adding anything but drama to this thread, and are probably going to end up getting it locked due to your needless name calling and harassment.

Quote:
Old 02-19-2011, 5:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
You're just a troll. This was a civilized discussion until you came and decided to bombard this thread with your nonsense. Please leave, you're not adding anything but drama to this thread, and are probably going to end up getting it locked due to your needless name calling and harassment.
The best you can do is a 'Troll'? Don't you have any cookies to sell?

Civilized? I was trying to help the kid out and you got butt hurt because the kid was going to get paid with a degree. I know what you are saying (I've been there), fresh out of college with no experience in combat, bad for troop safety.

Go back to the very start of this thread and read it again. The kid is asking for career advice and all you want to do is tell him to stay away. I have 2 kids in college, I was approaching it as if one of my own children came to me and asked for advice.

Have you offer anything positive to the kid yet? Put yourself in his position. What would you like to hear if it was you asking the question he did?
Old 02-19-2011, 8:47 AM
Banned

I apologize if I stated something misleading on my post, please do not let this thread turn into crap.
Old 02-19-2011, 3:29 PM

Quote:
I apologize if I stated something misleading on my post, please do not let this thread turn into crap.
You're fine. Having an opinion and discussing it is one thing. I may not like your opinion... it doesn't matter, doesn't mean that we can't discuss it.

It's when people resort to acting immature that a thread takes a nosedive...

Now back on topic... OP have you figured out what it is that you're going to be doing?

Quote:
Old 02-19-2011, 6:28 PM

My advice, don't just join because it's a last resort, that's the worst excuse ever. And once you get in and have to do a bio on yourself for some Senior NCO you better figure out something better to say then "It was my last resort". In fact if i had a soldier who said he joined as a last resort, I wouldn't want to be serving with him.

That's a ****ty reason to join, that's my .02 cents
You better go INFANTRY or atleast Combat Arms
And I agree with that dirty scout cavtrooper, college doesn't mean ****

I went to college for Database Engineering and did a stint with Oracle Academy, I haven't touched programming since then. It's just a piece of paper I have now that I never touch.
Old 02-20-2011, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus View Post
My advice, don't just join because it's a last resort, that's the worst excuse ever.
Perfect. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus View Post
I went to college for Database Engineering and did a stint with Oracle Academy, I haven't touched programming since then. It's just a piece of paper I have now that I never touch.
And that's what we would like to call, food for thought.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2011, 3:50 AM

Being as none of us Under 60 years of age has had to deal with this type of job market ever...I understand the last resort remark. Not everyone joins the military cuz it's super fun. hoowah?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

I am in the process for two state positions as a law enforcement officer. I am not going to give that up, if I am not successful in reaching the position of being hired before my 24th b day in Sept. I will consider the reserves in the Coast guard, going into the field of Maritime Enforcement. Hopefully this will build my resume and if I like what I do I'll go full time enlisted.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Not a bad decision OP. Good luck with everything, one way or another

Quote:
Old 02-24-2011, 9:19 AM

Quote:
I will consider the reserves in the Coast guard, going into the field of Maritime Enforcement.
At least you picked the right branch of service!

I replied to your PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 7:45 PM

Quote:
DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED! DO NOT GO ENLISTED!

Its like applying at McDonalds and having a degree. Are all you guys on crack telling this kid to go enlisted?? Would you want to scrub toilets for an officer? Or do you want to be an officer getting your toilet scrubbed.

The bigger question is, which branch of service are you getting into? You should consider the following in the order I am presenting to you:

Air Force
Navy (they advertise that they will bring you home alive)
Army
Marine Corp

Not bagging on the marines, I was a enlisted Marine for 4 years. No matter what your job is as an enlisted Marine, you will start out as a janitor!

Also, look at the pay difference between the officer corp versus enlisted corp. What are you guys smoking????
If the OP is even still reading this, do not listen to the advice above. This is advice from an enlisted person that prob had a hard time taking orders and spent too much time dwelling on why he cant be in charge.

I did 4 years, stayed on the straight and narrow (meaning i just never got caught ) made it to E-5. It was the greatest thing ive ever done and the prestige of being a marine is something i will never take for granted.

I will however say that as a person with a degree, go in as an officer (ocs) and when you get to your unit, earn your respect by leading them the proper way.

Re-think using "last resort" when considering your decision as once your in your in and your serving the greatest country in the world.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-24-2011, 8:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Ladies and Gents; fair warning, inservice ribbing or razzing is part of the fun but don't take it too far.

It could cost you access to this sub-forum which most have earned, it would be a shame for me to take it away.

Semper Fi.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

I'm still reading ladies and gents, I appreciate all comments. I'll be graduating in couple of weeks. No career start by Sept, military reservist here I come!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:51 AM

I knew a guy that had his degree in Biology from USC and went the enlisted route. He did it because he wanted to enlisted and not officer at first. He later on decided he wanted this to be a career and decided to go officer from there. Do not listen to Hsienjohn.... he sounds like he got a Big Chicken Dinner.

You can do what you want, its up to you but remember, you will work and work hard you should and your life will have atleast some meaning to it if you look at all the life experience earned. Its all what you make of it and how you look at things. If you go in and get out as a bitter disgruntled person then its your own fault. Many will tell you it was the greatest experience in their lives and they would do it over again and more if possible.

Going in as a "last resort" is a bit worrisome. Do it because you made a decision and sticking to it. Don't let others tell you otherwise.

When you're out of service, no matter what branch, we all become vets. As a vet we should all watch out for each other (especially in these hard times) and leave the petty differences in the past.

Drider, good to hear you made your decision and wish you the best! network while you're in since you'll have alot of exposure to federal agencies such as ICE and CBP. Think about what you want to do after and start working towards it!

Last edited by KALIDAWG8996; 02-25-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Old 02-25-2011, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post
If the OP is even still reading this, do not listen to the advice above. This is advice from an enlisted person that prob had a hard time taking orders and spent too much time dwelling on why he cant be in charge.

I did 4 years, stayed on the straight and narrow (meaning i just never got caught ) made it to E-5. It was the greatest thing ive ever done and the prestige of being a marine is something i will never take for granted.

I will however say that as a person with a degree, go in as an officer (ocs) and when you get to your unit, earn your respect by leading them the proper way.

Re-think using "last resort" when considering your decision as once your in your in and your serving the greatest country in the world.
doesnt change the fact that you probably scrubbed quite a few toilets for the higher ups, it's just part of the job at the lower levels. He has a good point. If you have the maturity and leadership ability go officer.

Last edited by ankyle62; 02-25-2011 at 3:26 PM..
Old 02-26-2011, 3:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankyle62 View Post
doesnt change the fact that you probably scrubbed quite a few toilets for the higher ups, it's just part of the job at the lower levels. He has a good point. If you have the maturity and leadership ability go officer.
I think most people misunderstand the role of the Officer in the Military. "Leadership ability" is not neccisarily an important trait for Officers, especially as they progress in rank. Officers are more of planners, delegators, lobbyists and the sort. Officers are pretty much hands off once theyve completed their time as platoon leaders, they rely on their NCOs to lead and train the Soldiers/Marines.

The "leadership", in the sense that you are dealing directly with the troops is handled by NCOs. You need time, experience, competence and the confidence of your superiors to progress into the NCO ranks, its not something thats just handed to you because you were able to bull**** your way through a community college or second rate state school.

Most senior NCOs have the perquisites they need to cross over to the Officer ranks and some choose too. Some prefer to be on the ground, handling business, getting stuff done so they stay enlisted.

Either way, you got to do what you feel is best for you, if you cant hack it on either side, they will let you know.
Old 02-26-2011, 7:16 AM

Quote:
No career start by Sept, military reservist here I come!
Like I mentioned, think real hard about going active duty. Enlisted or officer is up to you. I think you may get more out of the experience.