Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-22-2010, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram12085 View Post
Looks like you're right. I just asked my friend who's a CAARNG recruiter if they still offer the incentive and this is what she said:
The only school I was interested in was Air Assault, Its just 10 days, how much can it cost? Ill pay for it myself

Figure that out and exercise your mind.....
Old 07-22-2010, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
The only school I was interested in was Air Assault, Its just 10 days, how much can it cost? Ill pay for it myself
Aaaahah, no.
Old 07-22-2010, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSevenDeuce View Post
Aaaahah, no.
OK, Okay, but how much can it cost?

Old 07-22-2010, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
OK, Okay, but how much can it cost?
I don't know. Too much for California is the only answer that applies to you and me though.
Old 07-22-2010, 7:42 PM
Banned

I think you guys don't understand about school costs. It's not that the state is broke; the state doesn't pay for the training. It's a matter of what training is authorized. If you join a non-airborne unit, you are not authorized airborne school. If you join a truck unit, you don't go to infantry school. No air assault unit? No air assault school. The big Army decides who is authorized what training....CAARNG just follows the regs. It's about the unit MTOE. Interestingly enough, each infantry battalion gets school slots for Ranger school, Sniper school, and even Pathfinder school. You will need to check with you unit trainer, once you enlist. What will really blow your mind is that if you are a West Pointer, ROTC Cadet, or brand new 2LT in the RA, you get all the badge-producing schools you can handle. Most infantry 2LT's spend the first year of their commission at Benning in schools.

Don't let your recruiter bs you.....if you join a unit, you get to compete for whatever school slots open up. Nothing can be guaranteed except the schools required for your MOS.

There are some options from time to time, like the airborne unassigned enlistment, but I don't know that the Guard has ever had it available.

Last edited by 11Z50; 07-22-2010 at 7:48 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
I think you guys don't understand about school costs. It's not that the state is broke; the state doesn't pay for the training. It's a matter of what training is authorized. If you join a non-airborne unit, you are not authorized airborne school. If you join a truck unit, you don't go to infantry school. No air assault unit? No air assault school. The big Army decides who is authorized what training....CAARNG just follows the regs. It's about the unit MTOE. Interestingly enough, each infantry battalion gets school slots for Ranger school, Sniper school, and even Pathfinder school. You will need to check with you unit trainer, once you enlist.

Don't let your recruiter bs you.....if you join a unit, you get to compete for whatever school slots open up.

There are some options from time to time, like the airborne unassigned enlistment, but I don't know that the Guard has ever had it available.
Hmmmm, I don't think that is exactly right. I am in a non AASLT unit and I have seen guys sent to AASLT school.
Old 07-22-2010, 7:51 PM

Default Huuuhhhhh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Rephrase...

Why part time?

If Im going to war as a combat Soldier, I want to go with professionals, not burger flippers and toy store employees that play warrior once a month.
This statement isn't worthy of a retort. There are plenty reservists who are more than qualified as well as people who walk the streets who'v served and who haven't.
Old 07-22-2010, 9:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSevenDeuce View Post
Hmmmm, I don't think that is exactly right. I am in a non AASLT unit and I have seen guys sent to AASLT school.
While one might get an open seat to a non-mos producing school, like AASLT, it is not something that can be expected. If your unit trainer is on the ball and knows ATRRS or whatever it is called now, that might get you a seat in many schools that are non-mos specific.....as I said: Don't let your recruiter bs you.....if you join a unit, you get to compete for whatever school slots open up. Nothing can be guaranteed except the schools required for your MOS. Some units require more schools than others, and they get the priority in funding, and seats. If for some reason there are no-shows forecasted for a school, and seats are open for funding already spent, sometimes you can get some of your troops in, if Jupiter is aligned with Mars and the CSM doesn't get in your face. I used to slip my guys into training all the time, but there has to be at least some justification or reason for the training. Often, the CSM of a Battalion at least to some degree monitors or downright controls enlisted schools, since mil schools are obviously important to careers and promotions.

I do admit however, I have been retired since 2003. I still know some folks in the business, and I don't think much has changed about schools and funding.

Last edited by 11Z50; 07-22-2010 at 9:29 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 9:39 PM

I think the MOS-specific is pretty much the important caveat. In NV, which is a fairly rich State relatively speaking, there are enough funds to send everyone to mandatory academics (SLC, MC3, etc), but unless it is required for the position, morale schools like Airborne just aren't happening like they used to. Maybe you're right and the State isn't ultimately on the hook for it (Though from my experience in CA, they're great at moving funding from where it's supposed to be to where it isn't: I was told I couldn't go to OBC due to lack of funds, and I -know- that course is paid for by the Feds.) but that doesn't stop the fact that whoever really -does- provide the funds doesn't have them to provide right now.

NTM
Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

well I have Airborne, I wanted Air Assualt, but right now I will be happy with the 2 week 11B reclass school and a decent infantry unit in the L.A. area that will be deployed to Afghan

Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 PM

bluestater, perhaps when their units have a drill weekend you can stop by to chat and see what that unit is like, the ANG is that way. Just get with em and note the date, there will be ample opportunities then to ask questions.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, I guess I would like to get the inside info of where to start first. I'm intersted in the unit that onesevendeuce is in and would like to check it out, but it's in San Diego, I wanted to start in the LA area first. Maybe in Glendale, Fullerton or Los Alamitos.

Old 07-23-2010, 3:26 AM
Banned

I think there a few Guard recruiters that can help you out with current info..... I used to know a full-timer in Glendale but I don't think it's an Infantry unit now. The CA ARNG has went thru a number of re-orgs lately and many of the Infantry units have changed to other MOS's. I do know this; nowadays your unit is like a PO Box where the Big Army sends you mail. If you want to go on deployment the Army will send the request for back-fillers out, and if you are MOS-qualified, you will go. Many of my old friends deployed as fillers to Guard units from other states. I agree, it's best to go to a unit and chat with the full-timers and maybe check out a drill weekend.

Last edited by 11Z50; 07-23-2010 at 3:37 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 12:28 PM

C Trp 1/18 is a good unit. Almost everyone there is a vet (and former active) and wants to do it part time because sitting around in the barracks waiting to see who's going to paint rocks for the CSM is ghey. At least if you sit around for a weekend you go home in the Guard. Plus asking a person to do it full time(again) and give up a newfound 90K a year job is asking wrong.

Not all active units are better. A group that will remain unnamed out of professionalism totally bolo'd the quals to deploy to Afghanistan in Germany. Leadership was replaced and they went anyway. That had to be the single biggest goatscrew I've ever witnessed, and I've seen some pretty dumb shet.

The unit you want is defined by the quality of its NCO's and their Joes, not whether or not they're Active, Guard, or Reserve.