Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-16-2010, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Director View Post
Yep, I'd also like to know boots on the ground opinion of this rather than what the bureaucrats say.
Short answer: I don't care.

Long answer: This is a powder keg that has needed to go off for sometime. It's no surprise our elected officials are once again using the military for their little sociology experiment, however when I was in I always assumed there was at least 1 guy in the platoon who was gay/homosexual/not straight/whatever it is today. There is going to be a a huge logistical fallout, as far as billeting, marriage, all that wonderful stuff. If they allow homosexuals to live in separate barracks, every slick PFC will be claiming he/she is gay. Obviously it will affect unit cohesion as my opinion is probably in the minority, I know a lot of people will be vocally opposed to spooning with a possible homosexual in the woods.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Wow, actually I have a funny story. There was this barber when I was in Iraq, dude would travel to all the FOB's. We'd see him all over the place, cause we'd be all over Baghdad. This dude probably made cash $12 per soldier, 10-40 soldiers I'd guess a day. He didn't do those homo scalp messages. (I am not generally against them, but all 90% are queer, ask anyone.)

This guy would also shave you with a straight razor and shave the back of your neck and behind your ears. To me that was the best, getting a good close shave, hot towel, the whole nine yards.

Anyhow, one of my battle buddies asked how I could let an Iraqi hold a straight razor so close to me. This mind you is while he's shaving me. I told him, because he makes too much money from guys like me and the guy spoke perfect English (which my battle didn't know). So the barber started laughing and said, yeah, he's right. He was a teacher or something by profession, but $100 Cash a day for an Iraqi is like being a multi-millionaire, therefore he became a barber. So this guy was cleaning up, but he gave a hell of a clean shave and cut. I'd use him over 3/4's of the barbers in the small shop that I use now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Director View Post
Soldier 415 had an amazing thread going while he was deployed - same title as this thread. I thought it would be fun if it continued - except this time any Soldier (I use the term generically to encompass all branches) who has seen deployment can answer questions. I know I learned a lot from the last thread!

Okay, I'll go first.

In Iraq/Afghanistan, where do the servicemen go to get their hair cut? I notice that even in spite of heavy fighting and distant FOBs, the men in the pictures are still sporting regulation hair cuts. Is there a barber available or is it DIY with an electric clipper?
All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation. ~John Adams
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

May be true, but very few. Remember you can't trust any of those guys. They sell intel that gets Americans killed.

My best experiences were with the Kurdish POB's (Police Order Brigades). Dunno what they call them now. The Kurds were awesome though.

They'd shoot people for putting us in danger, come in and kill all of the gang tribes warring in the streets, they hate most of the other Iraqis which makes them uncorruptible if you were an area they didn't inhabit. But even up north, they ran their towns and governments like King David out of the Old Testament. Eye for an eye. Only people in Iraq worth saving, besides the Christians. Which there are very, very few only a few hundred thousand if that. Those poor bastards have been getting slaughtered all of the middle east forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead View Post
the best of the Afghan people are the ANA,some of the ANP, and the ASG are good people willing to dye for you!!! if the afghan people were all like that they would one of the best countrys in the world
All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation. ~John Adams
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
Thank you, all you who are deployed and in service to the country.

Some questions, If I may, appreciate your answers!

-If someone from back home tries to send you ammunition, would the package go through? Or would the anti-shipping-to-other-countries law kick in regardless? If someone was concerned about the M855 round being too weak, could a concerned parent/relative send Black Hills Mk 262 OTM 5.56 to someone who is in Infantry and likely to see combat?

-I've always wondered, what kind of ammo do insurgents use? I know that they, being insurgents, use whatever they can get their hands on. Most of their stuff comes from the Black Market, I'm sure. Is it mostly Russian/Chinese ammo? Iranian? Egyptian? Is there a domestic Iraqi ammo manufacture that has supplies fall into insurgent hands? If anyone has seen/examined/handled, or knows anyone who has seen/examined/handled captured insurgent munitions, please let me know what it is! Also (this might sound stupid), has there ever been any Wolf ammo found in insurgent use anyone's heard of?

Insurgents use it all. They buy it everywhere. The world is just one giant weapons Bazar. Google VICTOR BOUT, this man is behind most of the weapons deals in the region and the Thai government let him go.

Personally I have seen AT, AP mines made in Iran (this was 2005) everybody knows it. Seen made in Syria arms, italian, russian, french; grenades, rockets, at/ap mines. Places like Iraq are an inventory of arms from over the past century. After the initial war 2003 happened the ammo/munitions dumps were unsecured, therefore people would just walk in and walk out with whatever, hide it, sell it, whatever.
Old 05-17-2010, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintreach View Post
May be true, but very few. Remember you can't trust any of those guys. They sell intel that gets Americans killed.

My best experiences were with the Kurdish POB's (Police Order Brigades). Dunno what they call them now. The Kurds were awesome though.

They'd shoot people for putting us in danger, come in and kill all of the gang tribes warring in the streets, they hate most of the other Iraqis which makes them uncorruptible if you were an area they didn't inhabit. But even up north, they ran their towns and governments like King David out of the Old Testament. Eye for an eye. Only people in Iraq worth saving, besides the Christians. Which there are very, very few only a few hundred thousand if that. Those poor bastards have been getting slaughtered all of the middle east forever.
The Kurds are awesome. Doing missions up to Kurdistan and the Turkish border was probably the highlight of my entire tour. When we'd get there we'd lock our weapons and armor in our trucks and walk around the town in just ACU's and go to different shops and markets and restaurants. Peshmerga guys were a lot more disciplined and trustworthy then IA counterparts.
Old 05-17-2010, 1:52 PM

Yep, I believe it. Wow, sounds like disneyland. lol

BTW docsmileyface your signature is great! Obviously someone didn't read FM 3-22.9. That's what happens when you get a pres who cuts defense spending. They stamp certs all over anyone in the right slot.

Last edited by Tintreach; 05-17-2010 at 2:52 PM..
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Location: North Idaho or on the road again(cue Willie Nelson)

Just got done reading this thread front to back, very informative! I thank all who are defending this country and hope you all come back safely. I too am thinking of joining one of the branches when I finish college.
Old 05-18-2010, 6:11 AM

What's the most common malfunction (if any) with your service rifles?
Old 05-18-2010, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaled View Post
What's the most common malfunction (if any) with your service rifles?
Magazines with dented lips.
Old 06-05-2010, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

For malfunctions I always got double feeds.

-3RD ID 3RD BDE, A 1-15
Old 06-05-2010, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah for care packages Its best to get the guys email and ask him what he wants. I would always crave something different so I would just tell my wife what to throw in. Cant go wrong with p*rn magazines or dvds though lol. I was loving Ramen noodles and scooby doo fruit snacks. Pringles were alright. Some guys would request their favorite coffee. Bootleg DVDs are huge out there and they suck pretty bad so if you can get ahold of real dvds he'll love that. Dont go broke buying dvds just ask family or friends if they have dvds they dont want anymore. Trust me theyll watch anything because there isn't a damn thing to do on their off time.
Old 06-06-2010, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

So forgive me if I missed this info...

My wife & I travel a lot and collect new and sealed shampoo, soap, hand lotion, etc. Can the deployed troops use this stuff?

Also on the DVD thing. Where can I mail DVD's, snack foods, candy, toilet paper? I get a lot of DVD's at yard sales for $1.

We can't do enough to support the troops. Thank you for your service to America. You and your loved ones are in our daily prayers.
Old 06-06-2010, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd send them to a USO in a major airport so folks can have something there, or send to a USO overseas.
Old 06-06-2010, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I used to get shampoo, lotion, soap pretty much anything in liquid form. I used to get Monster energy drinks and orange juice in cans. You just gotta pack them in ziplocks and cushion them real good because these packages get man handled sometimes. There's tons of toilet paper out there for them. You can send them baby wipes. Yes I know some people are weirded out but we do use baby wipes to wipe our buttocks or our face or whole body. I dint have running water for a while so when we had baby wipes to clean ourselves up its a big morale booster. Seperate zip lock bags are good too

For sending packages if you don't know any friends or family serving that can give you an address then there's a a website called, www.anysoldier.com . You can send to a any unit you want. Thanks for your support.
Old 06-06-2010, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I used to get shampoo, lotion, soap pretty much anything in liquid form. I used to get Monster energy drinks and orange juice in cans. You just gotta pack them in ziplocks and cushion them real good because these packages get man handled sometimes. There's tons of toilet paper out there for them. You can send them baby wipes. Yes I know some people are weirded out but we do use baby wipes to wipe our buttocks or our face or whole body. I dint have running water for a while so when we had baby wipes to clean ourselves up its a big morale booster. Seperate zip lock bags are good too

For sending packages if you don't know any friends or family serving that can give you an address then there's a a website called, www.anysoldier.com . You can send to a any unit you want. Thanks for your support.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that link, ir0nclash86!