Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-03-2008, 6:07 PM

Smile Good stuff

Would be nice if High Schools gave more time to the Services to show how good it really is.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-03-2008, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new cal shooter View Post
Would be nice if it High Schools gave more time to the Services to show how good it really is.
I'm willing to bet that as the economy continues to get worse you'll see more interest in the military.
Old 12-03-2008, 6:13 PM

Well I hope they join for the right reasons, I've seen some "I don't want to be here" attitudes these days, takes a toll on everyone.
Old 12-03-2008, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

My service is a little different than most others on here, as I am with the California State Military Reserve. We're a component of the California National Guard, but we're 100% Title 32, and cannot be put on Title 10 active duty. You can think about it as the reserve, to the reserve, to the reserve. But, we do it all out of love and respect for those who serve in Title 10 active duty roles, and our main mission is to get them trained, and prepared for active duty missions, and back them up in their homeland security mission here in CA. To answer your questions...

1) For those calgunners who are in one of the branches of the military, what prompted you to sign on the dotted line?
- Respect for the uniform, and for those who put their life on the line for their brothers and sisters in arms.

2) For those who are veterans, do you feel that your time in the service was worthwhile?
- N/A

3) Have any of you seen combat? If so, did that change your view of military service?
- No, the CSMR is not a combat arms branch...yet...?

4) What advice would you give to those who are thinking of enlisting?
- Do it. Go federal, go active, and when you are done, email me.
Old 12-04-2008, 5:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe2008 View Post
I would like to thank all who have served. Your sacrifices and loyalty to our Nation are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

But, all who have responded to Boo's OP were baited. Boo's continued dialogue in this thread is showing his true colors, which is military bashing.
yep this thread seemed like it was a polite and concise question as to why we serve and again boo. this thread has evolved into a discussion about your moms nasty divorce and that she is gay now. come on dude don't be rude to the men and women who served and answered your question politely. this is the type of crap guys and gals who serve don't like. i know it may be hard to return to the topic at hand. there has not been much flaming in this thread but boo the respect you say you have is a little thin with me and others here.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.

Last edited by chris; 12-04-2008 at 5:20 AM..
Old 12-11-2008, 7:11 PM

Don't join if you think hailing from a broken home or poor upbringing somehow makes you part of an entitled class and free to mooch pizza off of me in the barracks.

Me and one of the recruiters at my office and I had a real man to man talk. Put it this way, I told him, "The best Marines are those who actually have something to lose and join not for any tangible benefit, but rather, do so out of a total sense of civic virtue and loyalty towards the state." Staff Sergeant who saw a tour in Iraq and went to the same MOS school as mine told me, "Yeah, but those are few and far between."

I'll be hitting my 6 month milestone in the Marine Corps in 4 days. I sacrificed a spot of 100 for a business school's first undergraduate offering after beating out roughly 6000 applicants, as well as my youthful mentality (Months of recruit training and a personal look into FOB life in Iraq/Afghanistan developed a salty "get the hell over it" mindset towards myself and my fellow Marines.). Is it worth it so far? I can say yes, I would've been living a much more sedentary lifestyle even after college if I went straight in as a civilian. There's a certain perspective on civilians that's hard to understand until you cross over into the Green/Blue.

For those who think about enlisting/pursuing a commission, look in yourself first. "but the facts are that we are getting hard pushed to find things for all the volunteers to do that aren't just glorified KP. You can't all be real military men; we don't need that many and most of the volunteers aren't number-one soldier material anyhow...We've had to think up a whole list of dirty, nasty, dangerous jobs that will...at the very least make them remember for the rest of their lives that their citizenship is valuable to them because they've paid a high price for it...A term of service is...either real military service, rough and dangerous even in peacetime...or a most unreasonable facsimile thereof." Going in trying to count down to your time to reap that GI Bill or wondering when you'll get to separate 3 months in does nothing good for yourself or your brothers in arms.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50 View Post
Booshanky, let me give you some TR:

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

You, as one of the protected, live in the margin of safety created by those of us who stood up and served our country. Certainly, we are flawed and often perceived as arrogant or rude by those we protect. As a veteran, I don't want to be revered or even honored by civilians. I just ask that they understand the sacrifices that have been made for them, and respect those who defend our way of life.

Booshanky, you can sit back and pick and choose what you would defend, where you would fight, and with what degree of enthusiasm. That's nice. But that's not how it works. While you are certainly entitled to your opinions, I would advise you not to spout it off in the presence of veterans. They will become annoyed, and that will not be a pleasant experience for you.
Well said. I am a bit annoyed but I 'll answer his questions anyway.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
For those calgunners who are in one of the branches of the military, what prompted you to sign on the dotted line?

Two generations of Retired G.I.'s to teach me honor, integrity & humility. I am a first generation American (my family emigrated from the Philippines). My Grandfather, Father and I are grateful for the opportunities and freedoms provided by this great nation. Our service is payback.

For those who are veterans, do you feel that your time in the service was worthwhile?

ABSOLUTELY

Have any of you seen combat? If so, did that change your view of military service?

No, but I have many friends that have.

What advice would you give to those who are thinking of enlisting?

Get educated. Military life's a bit easier as a commissioned officer.
You get what you give. If all you do is take..............

Last edited by arfan66; 12-24-2008 at 2:35 PM..