Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 09-19-2012, 8:40 AM

Default Appleseed and AR style

Interested in seeing the configurations of those who have used an AR-style rifle for the Appleseed. I have a Magpul CTR and my friend has a MOE stock and we are trying to set it up to utilize the US GI cotton sling recommended, but also take full advantage of sling usage during the Appleseed. Appreciate your recommendations and experiences.
Old 09-19-2012, 8:48 AM

This seems to be a good link demonstrating sling usage, but not in an AR fashion.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_9_19/22...positions.html
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Glad that you are headed to an Appleseed! The basics of slinging up with an AR are the same as what is shown at the link above. As far as connecting a sling to your AR, for a GI-style sling you will need to have 1-1/4" swivels installed. How they are installed depends on your rifle's set up.

The most common rigs I see on Appleseed lines for a front swivel are either A2 style or a rail-mounted swivel on the bottom rail of the handguard or gas block. I would avoid rigging your rifle with a sling on the side rail of the handguard or gas block as this provides less stability as it pulls the rifle to the side.

If the stock that you have has a means of attaching a rear swivel, use that, and you are all set. If not you will have to determine if you want to mess with trying to rig a rear swivel. The most stable of the sling options taught at Appleseed, the loop sling, is the most popular and only requires a front swivel. However, if you wanted to use a hasty sling you would need to rig a solid rear swivel as well. For the kinds of shooting done at Appleseed, a loop sling works very well, for most folks.

Have fun!

Last edited by rconnerley; 09-19-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post

Have fun!
We plan on it! Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-21-2012, 8:26 AM
CGSSA Leader

I used my A2 in .223 to get my Rifleman's patch. Only real downside was the bullet button for mag changes. I used a national match type leather sling (you could use a cotton GI sling too). I am 6' tall and I found that prone needed about 2" more sling length than standing or sitting.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM

I have a CTR stock on my AR, I used a cable tie to make a loop at the bottom to attach the sling. Works fine.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM

All the people that had AR's at my event only used the front attachment to do the loop sling. Never the hasty sling. It's just a lot more stable for the type of shooting you'll be doing at this event.
"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty…. Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins.” (Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment [I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789])
Old 10-17-2012, 1:50 PM
CGSSA Leader

For what it's worth, I use hasty in standing with my AR-15, loop in all other positions.

Mine is set up with a standard M1 GI cotton sling, swivels on the gas block and (fixed) A2 stock. I've tried just about every sling and method there is over the years and this simply works best for me.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.