Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveguns View Post
Dimitri if you really wanted to prove this reticle is the cats *** you should come out to matches and show it off. Prove to the real shooters its a better system. There is the CAPRC match at Angeles and the WEGC match. Come out and start shooting. Great times and great people.

Sounds fun but if you read above its strong points are engaging multiple targets of unknown distance and movers.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I think that there's certainly a good market for the scope/reticle. However, if I may opine, I believe there is a fundamental difference that's apparent between those that love the reticle and those that aren't as hot on it. As you said, it is for DMR applications. This is for short to medium range battlefield engagement, generally with a semiautomatic rifle like an AR-10. Those that are less hot on scope/reticle, seem to shoot higher precision at longer distances with bolt action rifles. Also, for longer ranges, the same folks will start using cartridges different from the .308 Winchester for higher performance. The .308 Winchester is really a dominant cartridge for medium range shooting. I'd certainly consider one for my AR-10, but probably not for my bolt action rifles, which are designed for longer range engagement and have extremely high tolerances for precision.

As for the "math" it really isn't complex for either 1) known distances as you indicated, or 2) folks that really know their scopes and mil/mil or moa/moa systems.

I agree 100% it was designed for the
M110/AR10 and was designed for business, for long to extreme long range precision I have created another reticle that I can't disclose JMP you will love it and Ill share it on a PM when the time is right. With all that said OP was looking for a BDC reticle I believe.

Dimitri
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimaryArms View Post
M110/AR10 and was designed for business, for long to extreme long range precision I have created another reticle that I can't disclose JMP you will love it and Ill share it on a PM when the time is right. With all that said OP was looking for a BDC reticle I believe.

Dimitri
Just please don't let it be like this:
(yes, this is a real reticle, from a real product)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Sounds fun but if you read above its strong points are engaging multiple targets of unknown distance and movers.

Not sure what that has to do with proving that its a great reticle. Have you ever shot any of these types of matches? Cause we do movers and unknown distances as well. Your under the clock and have to engage multiple targets. Your reticle should be perfectly suited for that from the claims. I think it would be good PR for you I see it as win win.
Old 08-01-2014, 1:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Just please don't let it be like this:

How did u get that and how do you know Xzibit!!!

Dimitri
Old 08-01-2014, 1:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveguns View Post
Not sure what that has to do with proving that its a great reticle. Have you ever shot any of these types of matches? Cause we do movers and unknown distances as well. Your under the clock and have to engage multiple targets. Your reticle should be perfectly suited for that from the claims. I think it would be good PR for you I see it as win win.

Really interesting! Sounds like fun also sound like I need to hand load some rounds to stand a chance against you OCD loaders!

-Dimitri
Old 08-01-2014, 2:52 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

Dimitri
One of the specs on the PA scope that is of great benefit is the fact that it has 33 Mil of total elevation travel (assuming it tracks to spec at it's extrema). The lack of total adjustment can render some very high dollar good glass useless for certain applications. That's why there is no one-size fits all scope.

A lot of the best scopes for 600-1,000 yard precision or benchrest with very fine adjustments are not good for long range. For long range, the main factors are total adjustment and ocular clarity. The reticle is not as important, you just need basic measurements. If you leave your bullet long enough in the air over enough real estate, there is going to be an inevitable unpredictability to its path of travel. When you miss, you want the clarity to cut through mirage as best as possible to spot your hit and be ready to correct and put another one in the air as fast as possible in order to benefit conditions as similar as possible.

The .338 LM is becoming very popular because the 300gr projectiles offer a tremendous range because they buck the wind so well. It's a relatively cheap cartridge once you get it set up. From a 100 yard or meter zero, it's about 20 Mil to get to 1 mile, and you don't want to be maxed or you will have no slack for windage. It's fortunate that some of the newer scopes are coming out with 36 Mil+ of elevation.

More elevation travel is also needed if you want to use your daytime glass in conjunction with modern technology such as night vision or thermal. The conventional thinking that you want as little scope clearance from the barrel as possible is outdated. You will need more than the minimum clearance if you want to use your scope in conjunction with advanced electronic optics; this may eat at your elevation range to get the right height and axis. Again, a simple reticle with maximum ocular clarity is needed. Even the best technology is a far cry from just using plain glass as the imagine needs to be translated. You cannot get the same range as a glass only scope, but you don't want a busy reticle or low quality glass interfering with the picture that is translated.

To make a scope that is competitive in the market with some of the more extreme shooting, PA should get glass that is at least cut on a high end Japanese line and look to make at least a 50mm objective lens. A 34mm tube is also highly beneficial for more light. Vortex answered the weaknesses in its PST line with a 35mm tube and lots of internal adjustment (36 Mil) in its Razor, but this is a nonstandard size that will cost more to mount.

This is an inherent problem as long range or use of high tech equipment forces the operator to be less concerned with the scope's price point and more concerned with the quality as a lot of money has already been invested.
Old 08-01-2014, 3:14 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
If only they made that with a double Christmas tree...
Old 08-01-2014, 3:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default where to find a scope with specific features

Quote:
If only they made that with a double Christmas tree...

I am curious what purpose the second set of crosshair serve. What? I need to stop locking at it..

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 08-01-2014 at 3:56 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 4:15 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
I am curious what purpose the second set of crosshair serve. What? I need to stop locking at it..

Dimitri
Wait, is that a real product or just a joke?
Old 08-01-2014, 4:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wait, is that a real product or just a joke?
Was I not clear enough when I said it was a real product?
Quote:
And the top of the image has the brand and reticle name in it. Yes, that is real. Really stupid... but it exists. You can even get it illuminated in red, green, and blue!

Also, here's the "manual" for it. http://www.countersniperoptics.com/C...M_addendum.pdf

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/c...d=8091125.8752

my bad, it's tri color is red, green, and "black"(variable intensity black?) although I could swear I've seen it in blue.

Last edited by Merc1138; 08-01-2014 at 4:32 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 4:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

And the top of the image has the brand and reticle name in it. Yes, that is real. Really stupid... but it exists. You can even get it illuminated in red, green, and blue!

Also, here's the "manual" for it. http://www.countersniperoptics.com/C...M_addendum.pdf

my bad, it's tri color is red, green, and "black"(variable intensity black?) although I could swear I've seen it in blue.

Blue!!!!

I can tell you one thing its hard to manufacture that! There is lots of detail and close laser etching going on! Its crazy how much effort goes into that! Sad but I bet you they sold a ton of those!!!

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 08-01-2014 at 4:51 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 4:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Ok enough of the special forces mall ninja optics check this thing out!

Its the 4x ACSS 7.62x39/300blk out 4x prism soon to be out! I ll have to say I was shocked at the performance 500 yards out with 7.62x39!
http://youtu.be/aGNBuxqk3ng

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 08-01-2014 at 4:58 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 4:59 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:

$6,200 for the Titanium Series 1-12X30 . **** me sideways, you can get into some nice higher tech optics for that much money.
Old 08-01-2014, 5:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
$6,200 for the Titanium Series 1-12X30 . **** me sideways, you can get into some nice higher tech optics for that much money.

Your telling me that scope with that reticle retails for 6k!?

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 08-01-2014 at 5:05 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
But it's a government contract overrun!

Nevermind that the guy importing them from china got raided. http://www.ky3.com/news/local/federa...48998_24980174
Old 08-01-2014, 5:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
But it's a government contract overrun!

Nevermind that the guy importing them from china got raided. http://www.ky3.com/news/local/federa...48998_24980174

Omg! The blue gave it away! Lol

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 08-01-2014 at 5:09 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Omg! The blue gave it away! Lol

Dimitri
See? We may all have differing opinions about reticles, but we can all come together and laugh at something as stupid as the counter sniper scopes.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
See? We may all have differing opinions about reticles, but we can all come together and laugh at something as stupid as the counter sniper scopes.

I think because at the end of the day we are shooters. There so many guys out there that will argue and insult you and shoot once a year if that..

Going through the patent process with some of these reticles I get to see what others have submitted and got approved!!!and if you guys think the counter sniper is bad omg! There are patents where the BDC gets small the further out it goes!! Meaning the round is dropping less as the range increases!!

Dimitri
Old 08-02-2014, 12:32 AM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
There are patents where the BDC gets small the further out it goes!! Meaning the round is dropping less as the range increases!!
I can understand where that might be logical in certain circumstances where your projectile is traveling near the escape velocity to put the bullet in orbit around the earth.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I can understand where that might be logical in certain circumstances where your projectile is traveling near the escape velocity to put the bullet in orbit around the earth.

There was another that said laser sight reticle that was zero at 25m and BDC with lots of drop out to 200m. You just cant make things like this up!

Dimitri