Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Default Help vz52

I initially thought that this vz52 was 7.62 x45 mostly due to the shape of the magazine and also the stampings on the side of the receiver. but upon closer inspection I noticed that it says very clearly 7.62 x 3... and I can't make out, if it had a 9 after because it looks scratched up.
on the muzzle end it looked at one time that it could've said 7.62 x45 but the 45 section had been stamped out as well. I have enclosed pictures showing that a 7.62 x39 round fits in a chamber and extracts. Any thoughts?
I was initially convinced that it was a 7.62 x45 but now I'm starting to believe that it's been converted

Last edited by rawkstarr71; 05-11-2017 at 11:16 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Yikes! The black crinkle-finish on the handguard in your third and last photos is a dead giveaway that this was a CAI "Jungle Commando" conversion gun, where they simply took Vz52s and installed a steel bushing in the chamber, often pressed in solely with LocTite, to convert a bunch of Surplus Czech Vz52s to 7.62X39 and sell them as Guatemalan Jungle Carbine guns.

The black crinkle finish was done to hide a lot of really poor stocks that had cracks, chunks missing, or repaired several times over.

Likely you have a remnant of one of these; the 7.63X39 conversions are not reliable, and the ring often gets stuck and extracted out with a spent casing after a few hundred rounds once hot.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:35 PM

When I look inside the breach I didn't see anything that looked like a chamber conversion . is there something I should be looking for that I'm not seeing? I'm sure that you are right

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 11:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Which is why the 7.62X45 is sticking out from the chamber.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 05-11-2017, 11:40 PM

If I inserted a 7.62 x45 round would it stick out?
And your opinion what should I do?
I have the option to pick up 700 rounds of 7.62 x45 and I'm not sure what to look for if this thing does have a conversion

Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkstarr71 View Post
If I bought a 7.62 x45 would it stick out? And your opinion what should I do?
I have the option to pick up 700 rounds of 7.62 x45 and I'm not sure what to look for if this thing does have a conversion
Because the conversion ring is a conical shape that is implanted at the furthest inner portion of the chamber, it is hard to see just by eyeballing it. It will embed evenly in the portion to reform the where the shoulder of the case chambers.

The best you can hope for may be if you can see a variation in color in the chamber of the steel-alloy used to make the ring versus the steel-alloy used to make the barrel. In some cases, the ring was anodized a color, so if any is left that might help it stand out. Otherwise, it's hard to see.

From your photo however, and the stampings/roll-mark with XXXX-outs over the original 7.62X45 indicator, I'm sure it's a conversion gun.

I would not waste money on expensive 7.62X45 ammo unless you can get that ring out.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 PM

Shoot it till it comes out?

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkstarr71 View Post
Shoot it till it comes out?

It may never come out, but that is one option. Hopefully you notice it when it does come out, because it could create an unsafe situation if you didn't, but most likely it simply would not chamber the next round to fire merely because the conversion bushing sleeve would be missing. If it did fir, at lease the bolt would be fully closed on the shorter cartridge all the way up to the chamber. Though the conversion guns were never really reliable with all kinds of regular FTF, FTE, etc.

You can still buy conversion kits - this photo will give you an idea of the concept:

Last edited by The Gleam; 05-13-2017 at 11:37 PM..
Old 05-12-2017, 12:18 AM

Thank you, I'll see how she runs

Old 05-12-2017, 12:35 AM

I could see a ring...

Old 05-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing OP. This is an interesting read and I haven't heard of conversion kits like this. Learn something new everyday.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 05-13-2017, 7:02 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I hope the OP can get it up and running safely. Was there ever such a rifle as a factory built VZ52 in 7.62x39, not a conversion? The 7.62x45 ammo is expensive and I have only ever seen it sold in small lots by collectors.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I hope the OP can get it up and running safely. Was there ever such a rifle as a factory built VZ52 in 7.62x39, not a conversion? The 7.62x45 ammo is expensive and I have only ever seen it sold in small lots by collectors.
Yes. It was the vz 52/57 and was upgraded when the Russian threw a hissy fit because the czechs were always doing their own thing.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
As Knight said, yes. They go for anywhere from $700 to $1200 compared to $200-400. At any time there seem to be one or two on GB. Right now there's a buy-it now for $6K but that's ridiculous.

That being said, if the 700 rounds are close enough in price to 7.62x39, I'd get `em. You could always resell them if your rifle never needs them. I had the rifle and ammo and sold them to fund a 52/57, but still regret it. Not because the 52/57 isn't awesome, but because the 52 was a shooter I'd restored by removing the wrinkle paint etc. I should have at least shot up the ammo I had before selling it.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The barrel pin is what to look for on a true 52/57

If it doesn't have that pin and claims to fire 7.62x39 then it is a conversion

I've had a 52/57 on my list for a long time now and they keep going up in price. $1,200+ is the new norm and I've seen really nice ones go over $2,000 lately