Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-24-2015, 9:54 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Scope Suggestion for the Savage 110 BA

I just bought a Savage 110 BA .300 today. In part thanks to the threads I read on here.

Any suggestions for a scope? Thus far I'm thinking a highly rated Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50mm (30mm) M1 Mil Dot scope on it. OR maybe... a US OPTICS LR-17 3.2-17x --albeit that's a long shot considering the price is almost twice the Leupold.

Last edited by GayGuns; 10-24-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 2:34 PM

With optics, you definitely get what you pay for and there's a reason why the guys shooting long range competition are using US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, and (don't tell anyone) Vortex.

Of the two you listed, I'd go US Optics. The "Buy once, cry once" mentality really applies to long range shooting and having quality glass is something you'll never think twice about. You don't want to spend quality money on a quality rifle and then skimp on the glass only to buy something better later.

If you're worried about cost, the Vortex Viper PST series are absolutely spectacular for the money and they now offer first focal plane reticles, including your everyday Mil-Dot and some of the better Horus and other Mil reticles.

I have used a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 (second focal plane) on a "precision" AR and could not have been happier with the money spent vs. quality. It was better than the Leupold on a buddy's second hand Remington 700 and probably 70% of the price.

I also have a US Optics ST-10 on my 308 AR and, other than not being able to get consistent cheek weld and eye relief, the thing is immaculate. Not sure if this is my issue or partially due to the tight range eye relief of a fixed power scope...?

Both the Vortex and the US Optics are great scopes and I never thought twice about the money. I've seen lots of friends and forum members try to cheap out on a scope only to end up either shelling out the money for quality glass later or constantly complaining, and neither is pretty.

That said, if you really want to think scopes are expensive, check out S&B and you'll realize that US Optics and Nightforce aren't so bad at all.
Old 10-25-2015, 5:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepur606 View Post
With optics, you definitely get what you pay for and there's a reason why the guys shooting long range competition are using US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, Nightforce, and (don't tell anyone) Vortex.

Of the two you listed, I'd go US Optics. The "Buy once, cry once" mentality really applies to long range shooting and having quality glass is something you'll never think twice about.
Thanks for the reply. The Vortex Viper PST 4-16 just got my attention --it's gotten amazing reviews (52 @ 5 star) on optics Planet. I had never heard of them before this.

Although 'buy once / whine once' makes a lot of of sense too --the lessons I've learned all point to that as being the best mindset (and cheaper in the long run) so I am def. leaning toward the US Optics now.
Old 10-25-2015, 5:20 PM
Banned

How are you going to shoot it?

Hunting, plinking, medium and long range target shooting all require different scopes.
Old 10-25-2015, 5:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
How are you going to shoot it?

Hunting, plinking, medium and long range target shooting all require different scopes.
I sure hope he's not hunting with that boat anchor of a rifle.
Old 10-25-2015, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberatore View Post
I sure hope he's not hunting with that boat anchor of a rifle.
I was wondering what BA stood for
Old 10-25-2015, 6:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Long range target shooting - My goal is to get a bull's eye at a mile. Ok.. but seriously, for starters I'd be happy with a bull's eye at 600 feet

Last edited by GayGuns; 10-25-2015 at 6:11 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 6:46 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayGuns View Post
I just bought a Savage 110 BA .300 today. In part thanks to the threads I read on here.
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The Vortex Viper PST 4-16 just got my attention
A 110 BA 300WM is generally going to be a rifle that is used for long range target/tactical use. Thus, it really depends on how far you want to take it. A 300WM has a practical range of 1,200-1,400 yards. If you plan on shooting in that range or pushing it further, you will want a bit more scope.

If you are looking at the Vortex 4-16 PST, I'd opt to pay a little more and get the Vortex 6-24 PST, and you will probably want to get a scope that has a first focal plane as most that would use that rifle would probably find a first focal plane feature to be quite beneficial even though it is a bit more expensive. In good visibility, you will be okay with the 4-16 PST to 1,000 yards. For further shooting or in suboptimal conditions, you will find that hte 4-16 PST doesn't cut it.

The Vortex PSTs are a really good all around entry level scope that carries all the features you really need. With that said, I think it is a great choice for someone starting with a 308 or other short action cartridge. I actually like the PSTs since they seem to function fine and they are really light weight, but I have only used them with smaller cartridges. With a 300WM, it is going to lack a bit on the glass quality if you want to push it out to its potential distances, and they also lack the elevation adjustment range to do ELR shooting as they have only about 18 mil of total travel, with less effective travel.

Since it is a large rifle that has some range, I'd suggest going with a bit more of a scope. The two scopes that are the most economical that I would suggest to get you to longer ranges with enough clarity, elevation, and sufficient quality would be the Bushnell 3.5-21 Tac Elites or the SWFA HD 5-20; these go for $1,100-1,300ish.

Buying long range scopes is a tough task when you are starting out as most people do not understand what all the functions and specifications of the scopes are. Then, even if you understand what all the functions and specifications are, it is still not a good indication of the scope until you actually get behind it with your own eye and feel the knobs with your own hands.

At long ranges, there is an enormous variance in how scopes perform due to environmental conditions. This is really apparent if you shoot in places like the desert with a tremendous amount of convection currents that generate a lot of mirage in your scope. Often, you will actually need to reduce your magnification to stave off the mirage. There is a very large difference in what 10x magnification looks like through a good scope and 10x on an economy scope.

If you end up shooting at 300WM distances, you'll probably want what people consider a premium scope, and here there are some good choice in the $2,000s that'll get what you need, and you can spend triple that to get more and more improvement. A scope like the Vortex Razor Gen2 would be a good scope that you could just buy in the low $2,000s and be done with it. Otherwise, get one of the Bushnells or SWFAs that I suggested, and it'll be perfect to learn on and you can eventually upgrade if you really want to push it.

Alternatively, a good way to get more glass for your money is to go with a second focal plane scope. These work just fine for fixed targets at fixed distances as first focal plane scopes pretty much universally carry a premium.
Old 10-25-2015, 6:55 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Long range target shooting - My goal is to get a bull's eye at a mile. Ok.. but seriously, for starters I'd be happy with a bull's eye at 600 feet
600 feet is only 200 yards. That'll probably be right around where you zero the rifle without even turning the knobs.

If you want to get started and shoot at these close ranges, just keep in mind that the most important thing about a scope is it's ability to hold a repeatable zero. The 300WM has some recoil, and if a scope can't hold a perfect zero, it is worthless for accurate shooting. If you can only afford a little, go with mechanical reliability and strength. This means you want to avoid the Chinese manufactured or 3rd world scopes.
Old 10-25-2015, 7:24 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
600 feet is only 200 yards. That'll probably be right around where you zero the rifle without even turning the knobs.

If you want to get started and shoot at these close ranges, just keep in mind that the most important thing about a scope is it's ability to hold a repeatable zero. The 300WM has some recoil, and if a scope can't hold a perfect zero, it is worthless for accurate shooting. If you can only afford a little, go with mechanical reliability and strength. This means you want to avoid the Chinese manufactured or 3rd world scopes.
Thanks for taking the time.. all good information. Yeah, I have a couple Chinese scopes that are sitting back in their box. It wasn't even worth the time to attach them, so I learned that lesson. I just looked into the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm --it's going for about $2,500. One reviewer said it beat Nightforce hand's down. I also looked into Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm at a lot cheaper $1,000. Actually I must have 7 different Amazon windows open looking at all the scopes mentioned here... talk about a crash course in "scope speek" --this link was helpful http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...spx?faqid=1207 It's all going to come down to whether I want / can part with how much money. Shame there wasn't some way to test these things out like you can guns at a range. But like I say my goal is a bulls eye at a mile so I need something that will get me 'there'. Arrrgh. I'm becoming obsessed with this... Thanks again for your knowledgeable feedback.
Old 10-25-2015, 7:39 PM

Default Scope Suggestion for the Savage 110 BA

I absolutely agree with JMP... The PST does not have the elevation you'd want for a mile with most rounds....get a gen1 razor with more than 2xs the travel. Mile High has them with a $450 Sphur mount included in the price. This and the ERS are the lowest I'd get for your goals.

http://www.milehighshooting.com/vort...-10mrad-52006/

The next gate as you discovered is $2,500 and well above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 10-25-2015 at 7:48 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 7:44 PM

You can pick up a used Nightforce for very cheap. You'll love it. Don't go too go too crazy on magnification. A 5.5-22 is plenty of elevation. for target shooting you can get the cheaper target model. For anything other than target shooting, get the NXS or similar models.

A GREAT option is the Bushnell Elite Tactical line. Make sure you get the G2 reticle. They are a little less expensive than the NF's.

For a little more, you can get the Vortex 4.5-27 which is quite popular and reasonably priced.

Congrats on the rifle brother. Those Savages are great rifles.
Old 10-25-2015, 7:59 PM
CGN Contributor

If I'm going to spend a thousand.. then shucks... I might as well buck up spend 2k right?... ... but.. but ... but.. then I can get soooo much more if I just spend 3.. Oh what the hell -- might as well take out a loan for the thing and get what I reallllly want ---that 7k one! Bahaha. Great info though. You've given me some superb choices.
Old 10-25-2015, 8:30 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
I just looked into the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm --it's going for about $2,500. One reviewer said it beat Nightforce hand's down.
Once you get into higher dollar scopes of similar cost and feature, it often becomes a matter of preference. I'd personally not take internet reviewers too seriously. You can't make an assessment unless you try them. The optical performance varies among scopes depending on distance, conditions, and one's eyes. The feel can be very much subjective.

I'd suggest getting a first focal plane scope with 25+ milliradian of elevation travel.

I did a quick search and found one you might find to be a good fit for price/feature. EuroOptic has a Steiner demo scope available that would be a very good value for what you are looking for. I have a Steiner scope, and they are very respectable scopes. I'd get this one if I wasn't comfortable jumping into a $2,500+ investment. This would be leagues better than most of the other low $1,000 entry level long range scopes.

http://www.eurooptic.com/5122-Steine...R-Reticle.aspx

Just a suggestion. Not as sexy as a Schmidt & Bender, but I think it would get the job done well.
Old 10-25-2015, 9:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I did a quick search and found one you might find to be a good fit for price/feature. EuroOptic has a Steiner demo scope available that would be a very good value for what you are looking for. I have a Steiner scope, and they are very respectable scopes. I'd get this one if I wasn't comfortable jumping into a $2,500+ investment. This would be leagues better than most of the other low $1,000 entry level long range scopes.

Just a suggestion. Not as sexy as a Schmidt & Bender, but I think it would get the job done well.
Why thank you JMP. I'll check this out pronto. I 'preciate your looking on my behalf. I'm also waiting to hear back from a friend that might have a connection to getting me a deal on the top of the line USoptics so pending on that...

As far as not putting much stock in internet reviewers.. yeah. I agree. Esp given the common knowledge that a good percentage of Amazon reviews are paid in some fashion --with free products by the companies...or from what I've herad even by Amazon.

Last edited by GayGuns; 10-25-2015 at 9:37 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 9:45 PM

Ummm, I'd stay far away from Steiner T-series after the fiasco that went down... On paper, it's a great option. But after all the tracking issues and canted reticles and horrible customer services issues, the only Steiner I'd consider is the Military series. And even then, I'd have reservations about it.

Here are some examples. Scopes are off by almost 1/2 Mil at 10 - 15 Mils. Not isolated incidences either. This guy tested like 10 of 'em. Plus all the other folks reporting problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRYtm5jsm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_WrKSaguds

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-25-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Internet Warrior

That's interesting. I haven't used a T-series. The one Steiner I have is a Military and it's a pretty good and reliable scope for an entry level scope. I think the Steiner MSRPs are way too high, but after a good discount, they aren't bad in the $1ks. It's been my experience that most scopes below $2,000 have minor tracking issues, but it isn't necessarily as detrimental as people believe as long as it tracks the same each time with a linear relation since you'll gather your data by verification. I've seen scopes come with less movement than expected over a large adjustment since I believe that they'd been spec'd in Army mil rather than milliradian. Also, with the lower dollar scopes, you often face an issue with mushy turrets. With scopes, I've pretty much gotten what I paid for every time.
Old 10-26-2015, 5:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

JMP, might be worthwhile for him to look into a Gen1 Razor as they can be found pretty cheap
Old 10-26-2015, 7:41 AM

Again the two very best choices in your price range are the ERS 3.5-21 or the Vortex Razor HD Gen 1. Both of these end up around $1,500 the Razor is $1,299 if you subtract the rings.

You can cheap out a tiny more and get a DMR but the 5mil turrets and lack of a zero stop can slow down and cause confusion if not marked with a sharpie etc.

Rings are very important. They can press on the erector tube unevenly and with even the finest bit of over torque interfere with the erector (unfortunately I've made this mistake).

Again, Mile High Has the Razor HD Gen1 with 10 Mill turrets, 36mil travel and the very nice Sphur $410 rings for only $1,699 (again don't forget the Gen1 was a $2,500 scope designed to compete with the S&Bs etc) http://www.milehighshooting.com/vort...-10mrad-52006/

Assuming you already have the 20MOA built into the 110BA you can get a 35mm Sphur with another 6mil/20.6MOA. This combo will allow you to dial roughly 28+ Mils and that will get you dialing and shooting well past your 1,600m goal and into the 2,000m+ range!

The free Sphur with purchase info here http://www.milehighshooting.com/spuh...-20-6moa-1-50/

Yep, the razors are heavy but so is the 110BA.. The reticle is FFP with windage holds below the waterline and a floating center that allows good holds even on small objects under Max power.

If you have a friend with a MIL ID you can save some money on most high end scopes but you'll wait some time for your scope. The Mil deals on the high end scopes will be more $$ than the gen1 example. They also have a fairly good optics "Post Exchange" (for sale) on Snipers Hide, but even used, the Mile High price with the Sphur is going to be tough to beat .

I fully understand the budget concerns and might be the first in line to agree scopes are a perfect example of a diminishing return model. The trick will be to get a scope that fits the NEEDS of ELR at NEAR your price point. Unfortunately, I do not know of anything better than the two above in the sub $1500 range.

Unfortunately, looking through a scope at short range were everything looks good, does very little to indicate how it is going to perform when laying low to the hot ground looking thru 1600m of super heated air.. so you are kinda stuck with sorting thru the recommendations or getting out to shoot with someone with some of these scopes. Having owned or shot just about all the scopes mentioned in the thread in one form or another, I'd like to restate or add a couple things to think about if you have not already.

Take scope travel very seriously if you want a gun that isn't a one trick tool. Get something with at least 29mils/100MOA+, remember most are giving total erector movement. Elevation is less than 1/2 after a 100m zero and before base. While large elevations holds are possible, it severely limits the amount of reticle available for self-spotting. Self-spotting is import as a spotter can often miss the lower energy splash on distant shots and ideally the shooter knows were the trigger broke.

You're going to spend a lot of time looking through your scope, more time than shooting your gun if your getting into the ELR game and will communicate based the information from your scope. Spotting in the field has changed somewhat in recent years. The spotter is often the backup shooter and spotting through their scope. The same thing is found in hunting and ELR target shooting (other than matches). This is not only more efficient, but maybe because the availability of so much good glass has closed the distance on some spotters. Not only will you call miss location and corrections, your going to be communication location and size of prospect targets both as a shooter and spotter while on your gun. This will happen when both the shooter and spotter are on various powers and in my opinion FFP is mandated. You should absolutly consider investing in a reticle system (Mil or MOA) that matches your group or at least that has the potential to match the type of shooters you will encounter.

Match paper target shooters and older US shooters tend to work in MOA. If your interested in tactical matches like the PRS series or other types of tactical matches and shoot with the newer generation, you'll find primarily MIL.. Both work, just not super well together. 4 base MOA might have slightly finer clicks than 10 base MIL, but Mil tends to be much faster when dialing various (mixed) target distances. It is also much easier to work at ELR ranges were a elevation call might be 63.3MOA VRS 18.4mil. In this example if the shooter (or the spotter) glances at the turret, it is slightly easier to see one rev/8.4 is dialed..

Last edited by diver160651; 10-26-2015 at 8:02 AM..
Old 10-26-2015, 8:51 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
You can cheap out ......

Rings are very important. They can press on the erector tube unevenly and with even the finest bit of over torque interfere with the erector (unfortunately I've made this mistake).
That's just it.. the more I read and investigate now and the more I talk to long timers --the more I realize getting something in the $1,000 - 1,500 range IS kind of cheaping out. I'm sure you get some decent glass as has been described here, but I frankly would rather just buy once (more) and be done with it. Even if it means using the crappy scope I have now and waiting another couple months.

I also have to admit a bit of the information you generously provided is beyond my knowledge. I'm just starting down this path so consider me a complete novice. I only just learned how to zero a scope/rifle and about thing I understand thus far about "moa" is what it stands for. Still trying to wrap my head around the numerous videos I've watched on that --even then it's all theory until I'm at the range and actually get hands on with it.

I've looked into classes.. but I find nothing on just scope lessons in the LA area.

The sphur rings was what I was looking at! Except I was looking at the Sphur ISMS ones.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The sphur rings was what I was looking at! Except I was looking at the Sphur ISMS ones.
Same - ISMS is their marking jargon "Ideal Scope Mounting System"
Old 10-26-2015, 7:33 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
That's just it.. the more I read and investigate now and the more I talk to long timers --the more I realize getting something in the $1,000 - 1,500 range IS kind of cheaping out. I'm sure you get some decent glass as has been described here, but I frankly would rather just buy once (more) and be done with it. Even if it means using the crappy scope I have now and waiting another couple months.
I don't think starting out with a $1,500 scope is cheaping out at all for a 300WM. $1,500 will get you something decent that you can use as an all around scope until you refine your preferences. For a really capable scope for ELR you can spend 4x that, and it is probably jumping in too deeply for starters. A 300WM is a medium sized cartridge where few in SoCal will actually shoot it past 1,400 yards. Personally, I like different scopes for different applications. A middle market scope like a Razor is a very good place to start, and you may find no reason to ever spend more.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't think starting out with a $1,500 scope is cheaping out at all for a 300WM. $1,500 will get you something decent that you can use as an all around scope until you refine your preferences. For a really capable scope for ELR you can spend 4x that, and it is probably jumping in too deeply for starters. A 300WM is a medium sized cartridge where few in SoCal will actually shoot it past 1,400 yards. Personally, I like different scopes for different applications. A middle market scope like a Razor is a very good place to start, and you may find no reason to ever spend more.
Well said. But is it too much to ask for a 'perfect world' solution where I spend the money and get a magic fix scope that does it all.... ? I mean c'mon it's 2015 already.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:33 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar

Quote:
I absolutely agree with JMP... The PST does not have the elevation you'd want for a mile with most rounds....get a gen1 razor with more than 2xs the travel. Mile High has them with a $450 Sphur mount included in the price. This and the ERS are the lowest I'd get for your goals.

http://www.milehighshooting.com/vort...-10mrad-52006/

The next gate as you discovered is $2,500 and well above.

That's ^ a nice deal...
Old 10-26-2015, 10:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's just it.. the more I read and investigate now and the more I talk to long timers --the more I realize getting something in the $1,000 - 1,500 range IS kind of cheaping out.
It is.
If you are gonna spend $1500, spend another $1000 and get a Razor Gen II.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 10-27-2015, 5:09 AM
Veteran Member

for your setup, the only scope I would use is maybe a Bushnell hdmr or a vortex gen 1 in the sub 1500 category.

I agree though...you can spend another 1000 and get a vortex gen ii. you would never feel like you settled with that scope.
Old 10-27-2015, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It is.
If you are gonna spend $1500, spend another $1000 and get a Razor Gen II.
Why when the user is on a 1k Budget? Don't forget a good set of rings/base can run over $500. The MH deal includes The Sphur Midway sells for about $420 + 14 shipping (I don't know if there is tax) so the gen1 is actualy only $1265

BTW, I have had both Gen 1 and 2. The glass is better on the gen2 but both can resolve MOA sized plate under most conditions past 2,000m.. the slight bump in max zoom doesn't look that much different and even less so when there the mirage forcing you to shoot at lower power

Lets be real.. The glass in any of these scopes is not going to make someone miss a target or suddenly become a better shooter.. Focusing on the fundamentals, is far more important.

It isn't like I have have a crush on JMP but he has given very good advice in several of his posts..

Last edited by diver160651; 10-27-2015 at 6:11 AM..
Old 10-27-2015, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Why when the user is on a 1k Budget? Don't forget a good set of rings/base can run over $500.
You can get a set of Seekins rings for $120-150. And they are one of the best rings out there. There's also Badger and ARC.
Old 10-27-2015, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
You can get a set of Seekins rings for $120-150. And they are one of the best rings out there. There's also Badger and ARC.
Correct.. for rings.

But he can run another 6mils with the one piece base. Sense to op is starting out of the gate wanting to shoot ELR with a opening goal of 1600m, 2000m is likely around the corner.

Most Gen1 5-20 with 10 mil turrets without rings are being sold by places like Optics planet, Liberty Optics, Midway for $1699 is there even in stock..

Either way, I don't know of a new Gen1 with 10 mil turrets with any kind of decent rings any cheaper than the Mile High offer (no idea when they will change it). And they are including one of the best to take advantage of the generous 36mils of travel in the gen1.

Edited to Add: OP if your anywhere near the Bay Area your welcome to look thru some of my scopes.

Last edited by diver160651; 10-27-2015 at 7:14 AM..
Old 10-27-2015, 7:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Correct.. for rings.

But he can run another 6mils with the one piece base. Sense to op is starting out of the gate wanting to shoot ELR with a opening goal of 1600m, 2000m is likely around the corner.
A $186 AI one-piece scope mount functions just as well as a $400+ Spuhr.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 10-27-2015, 7:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Why when the user is on a 1k Budget?
Then his stated expectations are unrealistic.

Quote:
Long range target shooting - My goal is to get a bull's eye at a mile.

Old 10-27-2015, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

I'd go with the Burris 5-25X50 XTR II with SCR MIL reticle. Street price on these is around $1250.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-5-25x50mm

I'm running the 3-15X50 mil dot version on my 300 Win Mag, which has a bit more elevation travel than the 5-25X version (110 moa vs. 90 moa). I've only shot out to 600 yards with this setup, but the glass clarity is definitely there to take it a lot further out.
Old 10-27-2015, 8:50 AM

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-razo...e-buy-out.aspx

Vortex Razor HD for $1,350. good deal ?
Old 10-27-2015, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time.. all good information. Yeah, I have a couple Chinese scopes that are sitting back in their box. It wasn't even worth the time to attach them, so I learned that lesson. I just looked into the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm --it's going for about $2,500. One reviewer said it beat Nightforce hand's down. I also looked into Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm at a lot cheaper $1,000. Actually I must have 7 different Amazon windows open looking at all the scopes mentioned here... talk about a crash course in "scope speek" --this link was helpful http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...spx?faqid=1207 It's all going to come down to whether I want / can part with how much money. Shame there wasn't some way to test these things out like you can guns at a range. But like I say my goal is a bulls eye at a mile so I need something that will get me 'there'. Arrrgh. I'm becoming obsessed with this... Thanks again for your knowledgeable feedback.
I usually shoot at Piru about an hour north from LA. It sounds like you are leaning towards a more expensive scope but I have a vortex viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on a Remington 700 .308 that you could try out if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I'd go with the Burris 5-25X50 XTR II with SCR MIL reticle. Street price on these is around $1250.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/x...cope-5-25x50mm

I'm running the 3-15X50 mil dot version on my 300 Win Mag, which has a bit more elevation travel than the 5-25X version (110 moa vs. 90 moa). I've only shot out to 600 yards with this setup, but the glass clarity is definitely there to take it a lot further out.
Ha! Beat me to it. I was just about to ask JMP what he thought about the Burris 5-25x50 XTR II with SCR MIL.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellwilliam View Post
http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-razo...e-buy-out.aspx

Vortex Razor HD for $1,350. good deal ?
That link didn't work for me.. but was directed to one with the EBR-3 with 5mil turrets and it is discounted. Personally I say the other offering is a better product.

Last edited by diver160651; 10-27-2015 at 12:53 PM..
Old 10-27-2015, 1:20 PM

called them. Euro Optic say it is a bad link. they no longer have them.
Old 10-27-2015, 1:50 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Ha! Beat me to it. I was just about to ask JMP what he thought about the Burris 5-25x50 XTR II with SCR MIL.
To be honest, I have no experience with Burris scopes. I'd assume them to be fine entry level scopes as I have heard only positive things by Burris operators. I do like having 25x or so on the high side, but usually a 50mm objective lens is only going to support about 20x magnification in tough conditions at very long distances with the average geometry of a typical scope.

For pure ELR shooting, this is my favorite scope if money isn't a concern:
http://www.defenceandsecurity-airbus...t/3_5_26_56_ff
but, in the black color, not the ugly orange color.
Old 10-27-2015, 1:57 PM
CGN Contributor

So I just sent an email to milehighshooting...If let me have the same deal of Sphur mount but with the VORTEX RAZOR HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 for $2,499. --I'm going that route. And then I am going to cry over my PBJ sandwiches for the next 6 months and wonder what got into me... Bahaha It's doubtful but... it can't hurt to ask. Otherwise.. for all the great comments here I think I have plenty to choose from! Thanks Guys!

Last edited by GayGuns; 10-27-2015 at 2:27 PM.. Reason: Update: "Sorry, offer is only valid on the HD 5-20x50's" -- I'm crushed. Just crushed. :)
Old 10-27-2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I have no experience with Burris scopes. I'd assume them to be fine entry level scopes as I have heard only positive things by Burris operators. I do like having 25x or so on the high side, but usually a 50mm objective lens is only going to support about 20x magnification in tough conditions at very long distances with the average geometry of a typical scope.

For pure ELR shooting, this is my favorite scope if money isn't a concern:
http://www.defenceandsecurity-airbus...t/3_5_26_56_ff
but, in the black color, not the ugly orange color.
Are there actual specs available somewhere?

EDIT:
Never mind, found 'em. http://www.defenceandsecurity-airbus...ine_36S_EN.pdf

Not sure how I feel about a $7,000 scope. I thought paying $4k for a Tangent Theta was tough! Seems like it came out about 3 or 4 years ago? I wonder if it's still competitive given how fast technology changes.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-27-2015 at 2:06 PM..