Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-16-2017, 8:48 AM

Default Examples of shootouts in home invasions

I'm currently in a heated debate over gun rights with a friend of mine who is also an avid anti-gunner. He is making the claim that homeowners using firearms in their homes to successfully defend themselves is virtually non-existent. I've seen some video feeds over the years and read news accounts but don't have them readily accessible.

Anyone have some video feed or news stories of such occurrences? Figure I would crowd source this with the Calgunners crowd. If I can show him a dozen or so examples, that would shut him down. Which would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 8:51 AM

I would like to see that also because I think the number is so small as to not be significant.
Old 10-16-2017, 8:57 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Grab your copies of American Rifleman that you get with your NRA membership. They have a dozen or so examples every single month in th first couple pages.
Old 10-16-2017, 8:58 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

https://www.americanrifleman.org/the-armed-citizen/
Old 10-16-2017, 9:00 AM

+1 Armed citizen
Old 10-16-2017, 9:01 AM

One of the first things I read when the new American Riflemen arrives each month is the Armed Citizen page. You can find more stories than you probably need here: https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by mrboma; 10-16-2017 at 9:02 AM.. Reason: Spyder nailed it...
Old 10-16-2017, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Your playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what number of examples of real world usage you come up with it's going to be an insignificant number to them. His/her mind is made up, you aren't going to change it, with anything as insignificant as facts.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

It may be old, but Masad Ayoob published a collection of his after action review of citizen involved defensive shootings a while back.

I'm guessing it's affordable and in paperback, so buy your friend a copy.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego67 View Post
I would like to see that also because I think the number is so small as to not be significant.
It only takes one to be significant when it's your home they're invading.

OP, I can think of at least 3 home invasion gunfights caught on security cameras. 2 were people coming into through the garage, one was the Asian lady that shot the 2 guys breaking at night. All 3 involved exchanges of gunfire and in all 3 the homeowner came out ahead.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 10-16-2017, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Your playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what number of examples of real world usage you come up with it's going to be an insignificant number to them. His/her mind is made up, you aren't going to change it, with anything as insignificant as facts.
This is a sad reality.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
It only takes one to be significant when it's your home they're invading.

OP, I can think of at least 3 home invasion gunfights caught on security cameras. 2 were people coming into through the garage, one was the Asian lady that shot the 2 guys breaking at night. All 3 involved exchanges of gunfire and in all 3 the homeowner came out ahead.
This. My individual right to defend myself with the best tools available supercedes the collective.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
This. My individual right to defend myself with the best tools available supercedes the collective.
My wife wasn't anti-gun, but she also wasn't a big fan of firearms for home defense. Then she and her sister narrowly stopped a man from breaking in to her mom's house with her sisters .38. She called me and said "I want a gun". She now has a .380 with her at all times, a 9mm in the nightstand, a 12 gauge under the bed and we have a .45 on my side of the bed. She wants a junior 20 gauge for her side of the bed because my 12 gauge is too large for her to get off a shot and pump fof the second.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 10-16-2017, 9:31 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
I'm currently in a heated debate over gun rights with a friend of mine who is also an avid anti-gunner. He is making the claim that homeowners using firearms in their homes to successfully defend themselves is virtually non-existent. I've seen some video feeds over the years and read news accounts but don't have them readily accessible.

Anyone have some video feed or news stories of such occurrences? Figure I would crowd source this with the Calgunners crowd. If I can show him a dozen or so examples, that would shut him down. Which would be appreciated

Why bother? Such conversations usually devolve into both sides talking over each other, folded arms, and digging in of heels. You will have your firearms for your home defense needs. He will have his bat / stick / frying pan / fierce verbal skills for his. Shake his hand and wish him well.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 AM

This was a crazy one, bad guy goes through a door with machete...

https://youtu.be/5bsAMSQ13bY

If it bleeds, we can kill it... Dutch
Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Here's a couple stories where teenagers defended themselves one used an AK and the other an AR15
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...armed-invader/

http://nation.foxnews.com/crime/2013...-fathers-ar-15
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Find a new friend.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM

How many stories do you read of a home owner preventing their home from burning down because they put out a fire with an extinguisher? Not too many. Maybe a couple per year. Yet people would call you negligent for not having a fire extinguisher in the house. Same thing with a firearm. Most likely will never ever need it. But god forbid you do you're going to regret it if you didn't have one.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

If he does not agree that the 2nd Amendment allows an individual to own a gun terminate any further conversation.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM

I was arguing with an anti gunner and asked him what he would do in the event of a home invasion. He said he would let them take all his things. Then I asked him what would he do if they did not stop there and wanted to rape and kill his wife and daughter. He then said he would beat the home invaders with a bat or his fists. Then I asked them what good is your bat or fists gonna do when they are armed with guns??? He did not know what to say after that!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Where's the vid of the woman recently that had three armed invaders and sent them running or dead? She probably needed more than ten rounds too!

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Where's the vid of the woman recently that had three armed invaders and sent them running or dead? She probably needed more than ten rounds too!
Might be the one I'm thinking of. She met them upstairs and shot at them all the way out the door.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 10-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Old 10-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
She fired 9 times. The thing is, this is a rare case when they actually have full video camera footage.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind, many crimes/attacks are stopped by the simple display of a firearm by the potential victim. The use of a gun for home protection does not imply that an OK corral type shoot out occurred, only that a firearm was used to stop/prevent an attack.

Why is it that liberals only focus on the most extreme worst case situations.

As noted above, the American Rifleman monthly magazine has a page full of examples every month.

Last edited by 003; 10-16-2017 at 5:29 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Go to YouTube and search for Active a Self Protection’s channel. He has a ton on there. Or do a wide search for armed citizens.

You could also conversely search for unarmed citizens or home invasions. The one with the thug beating the tar out of the Mom in front of her baby was particularly disturbing. Tons of material out there. Jus be patient in your search as it will inevitably give you bad results as any search will.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-16-2017, 1:29 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by $nake-Eye$ View Post
This was a crazy one, bad guy goes through a door with machete...

https://youtu.be/5bsAMSQ13bY
A great starting point for a home security plan is making sure your exterior door is not a hollow core interior door. The deadbolt and chain lock are rendered useless by such a door, as shown in the video.
Old 10-16-2017, 2:28 PM

all day, every day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/
Old 10-16-2017, 2:37 PM

as others have mentioned, NRA's "armed citizen" offers many new examples each month. these are the types of things that probably only make the local news, so your friend likely only hears about it once in a great while if at all.

i personally know someone who had to shoot someone to stop a home invasion. it didn't make any news program. local or otherwise.

i've also heard of mulitple stories on the evening news of home or store invasions that i feel would have ended very differently had there been a good guy with a gun. Although i'm sure that argument won't fly with your friend.

i think the best way to combat these types of situations is to go on the offensive instead of the defensive. You don't owe them any examples to prove why you feel owning a firearm for family defense makes sense. if someone confronts you with force, especially in your home, you have every right to defend yourself. you don't just curl up in a ball and suck your thumb and hope they go away. Ask what they would do if someone broke into their home with a gun or even a baseball bat? What they would do if they were awakened at night to the sounds of someone attempting to rape their daughter?

Last edited by boopiejones; 10-16-2017 at 2:54 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 4:04 PM

Check out the Active Self Protection channel on youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE...h84mw/featured

They post many different types of situations involving gun usage for self defense, but i do recall seeing a few that were home invasion.
Old 10-16-2017, 4:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post

i think the best way to combat these types of situations is to go on the offensive instead of the defensive. You don't owe them any examples to prove why you feel owning a firearm for family defense makes sense. if someone confronts you with force, especially in your home, you have every right to defend yourself. you don't just curl up in a ball and suck your thumb and hope they go away. Ask what they would do if someone broke into their home with a gun or even a baseball bat? What they would do if they were awakened at night to the sounds of someone attempting to rape their daughter?
Giving them one example will mean that they can't say " You will NEVER need a gun for self defense".

One they can no longer say that, the argument is over.
Old 10-16-2017, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob145 View Post
I was arguing with an anti gunner and asked him what he would do in the event of a home invasion. He said he would let them take all his things. Then I asked him what would he do if they did not stop there and wanted to rape and kill his wife and daughter. He then said he would beat the home invaders with a bat or his fists. Then I asked them what good is your bat or fists gonna do when they are armed with guns??? He did not know what to say after that!
Should've asked him where his bat was. Or how tough he is against 2 or 3 guys.
Old 10-16-2017, 5:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
Find a new friend.
Like your way of thinking
Old 10-16-2017, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

This one got a lot of press awhile back. Woman shoots intruder five times protecting her children. She was on the phone with her husband at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYl6vrzza78

This one was against four armed home invaders. I believe the owner used an AR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKCiY-lu0

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 10-16-2017 at 5:09 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 5:13 PM

When I acquired a suitable firearm for home protection, my family mostly rolled their eyes about my "needing self protection", especially living in such a nice area. After I shot an intruder who had come in and stalked me upstairs and down, they mostly kept quiet about the subject. In a separate incident where my wife had two near-intruders almost gaining entry, she was totally on board with firearms for self protection.

All it takes is experience . . .
Old 10-16-2017, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Have your anti-gun guy watch this one. It's pretty bad. She was confined to her couch and couldn't move and a scumbag broke in. Dogs barking and going crazy. Called 911. Cops got there, but not in time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqvFS0MpBU

Here's one where she protected herself against MULTIPLE attackers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpv9tJwjmAk

Here's a few examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov0u8Tg-pn0

Hope your 'friend' can now see that it isn't that uncommon of an occurrence. One thing that you desperately need to tell him is that the break-ins/home invasions are mostly done by 3-5 scumbags. How effective will anyone be against multiple attackers? Even WITH a firearm. We need every advantage to at least level the playing field.

Get a gun (legally). Learn how to use it. Carry it ALL THE TIME (legally). Even in the house. Carry an extra mag. Be safe all.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-17-2017, 8:13 AM

Default Examples of shootouts in home invasions

Thanks guys, good examples and I will forward it to him.

I just learned something and it blows my mind. This guy is a gun owner!!!!! He owns 2 pistols and one shotgun! Granted, he inherited them but....

He keeps them locked away in his basement. He is arguing that the stats show that having a gun in the house makes you statistically more unsafe and that there have been almost no cases of a homeowners defending themselves successfully against armed intruders. Further, he lives in San Francisco, which is not exactly Mayberry. And to top it all off, he is a 60 something year old attorney, not a 20 year old snowflake. So he should know that bad stuff can and does happen in life. He is ultra liberal though so clearly ideology is at play. Hopefully these examples will have him pull out those guns out of the basement. I'm not hopeful though.

P.S. Is there a way I can copy and paste the videos and just drop them into an email? When I try to copy them, it just shows a link to Calguns. Anyway to decouple them from this site and have them as a standalone link that refers the user back to the original source? Thanks

Last edited by rlewpolar; 10-17-2017 at 8:18 AM..
Old 10-17-2017, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

You might want to show him this, not too far from the City.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/2...ry-identified/

Your probably right your not going to convince him to pull his head out of the sand and realize that Utopia is just a dream that exists nowhere but liberal minds.

As far as a greater chance of having your own gun used against you well yeah, if you don't have the mindset to use it before it gets taken away from you that's probably true. Being prepared means more than just having it available, you have to be 100% committed to using it if you need to. It doesn't sound like he is willing to go to that step.
Old 10-17-2017, 9:21 AM

I think the old "guns are dangerous in a home" stat comes from suicides. Which by the way accounts for about 2/3 of gun deaths.

I've had a few anti gun people want to argue the validity of guns for self protection. It's an easy win for me because I've personally used a gun to protect myself and my older parents. I won't go into it, but no shots were fired and everyone went on with their lives unharmed ( even the bad guys) because of the PRESENCE of a pistol.

Tell him you'd be happy to relieve him of his killing machines that are locked away. After all, statistically he'd be safer!
Old 10-17-2017, 9:39 AM

This one happened not far from my house, he even posted some gunpoint pics of them on the ground.

https://www.google.com/amp/ktla.com/...-arrested/amp/
Old 10-17-2017, 9:40 AM

Happened in Hesperia last night.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/201...t-by-homeowner