Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-29-2017, 6:07 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I have a Vortex Sparc II that I bought about a year ago. It has given me zero problems whatsoever. I give it 5 stars. I absolutely love it. Top notch all the way.

Of course, I haven't even removed the shrinkwrap and opened the box yet, but I have total confidence that this optic will be good to go when I do.
Old 06-29-2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
I like shooting eotechs but i dislike the pathetic battery life, so i live vicariously through a friends block ii
Too far Couch. Too far.

The jealousy you bear over the superior Eotech reticle does not suit you well.

L3 is the Teflon Don of optics manufacturers.
Old 06-29-2017, 8:20 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I have a Vortex Sparc II that I bought about a year ago. It has given me zero problems whatsoever. I give it 5 stars. I absolutely love it. Top notch all the way.

Of course, I haven't even removed the shrinkwrap and opened the box yet, but I have total confidence that this optic will be good to go when I do.
There's a solid review if I ever read one
Don't panic. MOST people who registered AWs are still waiting. They didn't lose your app or forget about you, they are just REALLY SLOW. If there's a problem with your app, they'll tell you. Otherwise, all you can do is wait.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 PM
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robledo View Post
Too far Couch. Too far.

The jealousy you bear over the superior Eotech reticle does not suit you well.

L3 is the Teflon Don of optics manufacturers.
Fight me. Raise your dukes, sir
Old 07-09-2017, 9:32 AM

Default Red Dot Scope

Found a website for Red Dot scope recommendation.

http://proreviewly.com/best-rimfire-red-dot-scope/

All scopes are under $100. Pretty budget friendly..
Pinty 1X32mm for $33.99
Pinty Tactical Reflex Red Green Dot Sight $19.99
Freehawk® 2.5-10x40 Tactical $53.99
Monstrum Tactical 4x30 $58.95.

I bought Freehawk® 2.5-10x40 Tactical For my AR 15 and working great.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
cool story.... Buy it once, and keep it for life, and probably your kids life too... Plus if the army uses it, than it makes your gun that much more kewl!!! Aimpoint, trijicon.

Dude said if your life depended on it buy Aimpoint but otherwise for range guns, cheaper options work too.. not sure what you have against that sentiment?? Many have less expensive red dots that have been running flawlessly for decades!
Old 07-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Some of those cheapos have a 3 moa dot, not too bad. Got on on my AR pistol, works great for less weight.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Hard to beat for the money
http://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-p...le-hs503g-acss
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

For a budget Red dot, it's hard to ignore:

Vortex SPARC II Red Dot http://bit.ly/2nP4j2o
Vortex SPARC AR 2 MOA Bright Red Dot Sight http://bit.ly/2naFgsh

Eotech's are great as well, especially if you have astigmatism like myself. The $75 mail in rebate makes it even more enticing. http://bit.ly/2gJawh3

My typical go to is Aimpoint which can be pricey but the battery life and durability are outstanding: http://bit.ly/2eIJfec

Please let me know if we can be of assistance at 916.670.1103
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg

Last edited by CSTactical; 09-05-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Old 09-08-2017, 5:53 PM

Never really been one myself to go "cheap" when it comes to anything firearms related, but I recently purchased a red dot my army son recommended, a $30 Field Sport off Ebay. I watched several videos of it being abused and read many reviews of it's ability to take extreme abuse and still function / hold zero. I was so impressed I ordered one and received it today. Have many friends who swear by their Bushnell tr25's they've been plinking with for years without problems. I wouldn't put either of them on my duty rifle, but for plinking I'm willing to see how it holds up. Already have battle proven Aimpoint PRO, M2 and a Elcan M145 for work rifle. Youtube videos of the cheap red dot sold me on its choice as a red dot for a range / plinker rifle. At $30 shipped, it doesn't even qualify in the "buy once, cry once" equation.
Old 09-24-2017, 9:20 PM

I was thinking of getting a Holosun 510c reflex sight for my Mini-14. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old 09-24-2017, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
Eotech's are great as well, especially if you have astigmatism like myself.
I can't see a damn thing through EoTech's because of my astigmatism. It's a giant red wriggling mass. I'll take my red dots any day over an EoTech.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-24-2017, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Your old mans budget of $200-400 to me means, and I am taking liberties from how my dad is. It means, I'll spend $400, but I'd rather spend $200 or less, lol.

That being said, you have to ask, how much does he shoot and what distances is he shooting? Is he laying prone, shooting off a bag, or standing? Is the weight of the optic an issue?

How good are his eyes? Us old guys all have different needs in this arena. Does he need a wide field of vision? Or like the previous post is there an astigmatism?

Eotech, Vortex, and the super high end... All good. Me? Primaryarms.com Good customer service, prices, and they have the mounts for your dads AR. Hunting the proper mount for a given optic is patients testing, at best. A couple hundred bucks, throw in a cantilever mounted magnifier and you are at that $400 mark. Tried and true, tested and guaranteed. No, I do not work for them, just given lots of money to them over the years

Anyway, my cent and a half. Options are good. If you blow the wad on an optic, you have nowhere to go.

Forgot to mention: There are stories all over the interwebs about dots failing... every single brand. A good set of back up sights are very important. Pop that dead optic off, and bang, bang be proficient with both.

Last edited by Fryall4; 09-24-2017 at 10:09 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 1:54 AM
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryall4 View Post
Your old mans budget of $200-400 to me means, and I am taking liberties from how my dad is. It means, I'll spend $400, but I'd rather spend $200 or less, lol.

That being said, you have to ask, how much does he shoot and what distances is he shooting? Is he laying prone, shooting off a bag, or standing? Is the weight of the optic an issue?

How good are his eyes? Us old guys all have different needs in this arena. Does he need a wide field of vision? Or like the previous post is there an astigmatism?

Eotech, Vortex, and the super high end... All good. Me? Primaryarms.com Good customer service, prices, and they have the mounts for your dads AR. Hunting the proper mount for a given optic is patients testing, at best. A couple hundred bucks, throw in a cantilever mounted magnifier and you are at that $400 mark. Tried and true, tested and guaranteed. No, I do not work for them, just given lots of money to them over the years

Anyway, my cent and a half. Options are good. If you blow the wad on an optic, you have nowhere to go.

Forgot to mention: There are stories all over the interwebs about dots failing... every single brand. A good set of back up sights are very important. Pop that dead optic off, and bang, bang be proficient with both.
Sure, if you dig enough. But why would you cheap out on the option that gets constant threads and is marketed/fanboyed "as good as" instead of getting the proven item that the others are trying to compare to. Aimpoint M4/M4s or get out. Very very few m4/m4s failure threads out there. No. Your vortex is 100% not the optic that the aimpoint is. Period. No, an aimpoint pro is no m4/m4s, even. The switch engagement from the PRO to /M4m4s is apples/oranges. The vortex? Its a bulky chinese red dot that rests on its warranty laurels with a crappy button setup. You can argue with me all day, you wont win with the exception of validating a vortex purchase to yourself by lying to yourself. Cheaper electronics, cheaper optical coatings if any, less battery life, far less durability (bUt dAt wArRanTy tHouGh). If you are already considering the warranty for repair to make you feel.better about the purchase, thats on you and an ill choice.

Whats the primary and most effective sighting system for a fighting rifle worth to you? For the record i technically dont have iron sights on my rifle. I have an ATPIAL and use that as a secondary if need be during the day (or just shoot through the aimpoint tube), but the aimpoint is my backup at night. Irons are a third aiming system for me

Last edited by CouchOperator; 09-25-2017 at 2:11 AM..
Old 09-25-2017, 8:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I can't see a damn thing through EoTech's because of my astigmatism. It's a giant red wriggling mass. I'll take my red dots any day over an EoTech.

Everyone has different eyes Fortunately we carry both and more
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 09-25-2017, 8:27 AM

Has anyone tried one from these guys? Supposedly a South Korean defense level optic
http://diopticalusa.com
Old 09-25-2017, 8:32 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebaneseblonde View Post
Has anyone tried one from these guys? Supposedly a South Korean defense level optic
http://diopticalusa.com
Never heard of them, but it looks legit to me. Surprisingly inexpensive. I'd read some reviews before jumping into one, but IMO they look pretty good to me. I'm going to go look around online and see what I can find out
Don't panic. MOST people who registered AWs are still waiting. They didn't lose your app or forget about you, they are just REALLY SLOW. If there's a problem with your app, they'll tell you. Otherwise, all you can do is wait.

Old 09-25-2017, 8:38 AM

I have both a Holosun HS510C and HS515GM, love both. I punch paper and shoot bowling pins, so not my "Primary Fighting Rifle" so I guess there's that.
Old 09-25-2017, 8:58 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

The review of the DI RV-2 on Optics Planet looks good, but the reviews on Amazon make it sound questionable. One guy wrote a VERY lengthy review of the RV-2 and DI's customer service, and he doesn't seem too happy with either

Old 09-25-2017, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
The review of the DI RV-2 on Optics Planet looks good, but the reviews on Amazon make it sound questionable. One guy wrote a VERY lengthy review of the RV-2 and DI's customer service, and he doesn't seem too happy with either
Yeah. The guy was hard but hell, That was shifty servicing too.

Hope he gave them a second chance.
Old 09-25-2017, 9:40 AM

Any vortex spare users?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebaneseblonde View Post
Any vortex spare users?
I've used the Sparc II on a couple builds and it's a great RDS for the money. Can't beat the Vortex lifetime warranty either.

I have a brand new in the box Sparc II for sale if you're interested.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

I dont see a reason for anyone to pick a vortex sparc over holosun. I'm an aimpoint fanboy, but the holosun is pretty indestructible. AK Operators Union dragged it behind a car, dropped it from a top of a tree, and blew it up.. and it still functions. It is approved for FBI use and is used in combat. The only plus i can see from vortex is the warranty, but you wont need it if you have a good red dot.

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- Dianne Feinstein
Old 09-25-2017, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
The review of the DI RV-2 on Optics Planet looks good
I think the RV1 looks great for $200. I would not choose RV2 style controls over the RV1.
Old 09-25-2017, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
Sure, if you dig enough. But why would you cheap out on the option that gets constant threads and is marketed/fanboyed "as good as" instead of getting the proven item that the others are trying to compare to. Aimpoint M4/M4s or get out. Very very few m4/m4s failure threads out there. No. Your vortex is 100% not the optic that the aimpoint is. Period. No, an aimpoint pro is no m4/m4s, even. The switch engagement from the PRO to /M4m4s is apples/oranges. The vortex? Its a bulky chinese red dot that rests on its warranty laurels with a crappy button setup. You can argue with me all day, you wont win with the exception of validating a vortex purchase to yourself by lying to yourself. Cheaper electronics, cheaper optical coatings if any, less battery life, far less durability (bUt dAt wArRanTy tHouGh). If you are already considering the warranty for repair to make you feel.better about the purchase, thats on you and an ill choice.

Whats the primary and most effective sighting system for a fighting rifle worth to you? For the record i technically dont have iron sights on my rifle. I have an ATPIAL and use that as a secondary if need be during the day (or just shoot through the aimpoint tube), but the aimpoint is my backup at night. Irons are a third aiming system for me

Lol, you have a whole lot to say, about my opinion, I'm flattered. No need to argue, have an opinion, post it, otherwise, carry on.

Last edited by Fryall4; 09-25-2017 at 5:53 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
I dont see a reason for anyone to pick a vortex sparc over holosun. I'm an aimpoint fanboy, but the holosun is pretty indestructible. AK Operators Union dragged it behind a car, dropped it from a top of a tree, and blew it up.. and it still functions. It is approved for FBI use and is used in combat. The only plus i can see from vortex is the warranty, but you wont need it if you have a good red dot.

The Vortex Sparc 2 also fared quite well in some destructive testing. Between the Holosun and the Vortex, I'd still go with the Vortex. It's just as tough but with a better warranty.

http://www.recoilweb.com/vortex-spar...die-67267.html