Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-28-2012, 9:54 PM

Dang nice looking SKS I want one too.
Old 11-29-2012, 2:57 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
Damn Bobby, you've got the bug! Another one coming? When are you going to take them out and put them through their paces?

Desert trip planned before Christmas! I actually have 2 more coming. Classic Arms still has the numbers matching and hand select ones and I just can't say no when they come in good condition like this one did.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I received the second one from this order last night. The stock is actually in better shape but there is a lot less bluing on the exterior surfaces. I didn't notice any rust but this rifle has more cosmoline than I've ever seen on a rifle, ever. The bolt was gummed open with it and I had to use a great deal of strength to get it closed for disassembly.

Even more fun was the frozen take down button behind the trigger guard. It was literally glued frozen with petrified cosmoline. It was a MAJOR PITA to get it popped to break the rifle down.

PICS TO COME.....
Old 12-02-2012, 2:43 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

The second rifle looked ROUGH at first out of the box. A fair amount of bluing gone and a rough stock with lots of gray hazy crap all over it.

However, Comrade Bobby is inspired by Comrade Simonov and his glorious battle rifle for win of glorious Soviet Revolution. With glorious Russian march music playing in background and Mrs Bobby promise of Borsch and glorious Vodka nourishment upon completion of my labors, I soldier on and make glorious SKS rifle fit once again for battle!

Kremlin approved pictures to come Comrades!
Old 12-02-2012, 3:47 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Dude, post pics!

Mine should arrive from Classic Arms in a few days. Will post pics if I can take decent ones outside. I paid the $40 premium to get a serial/condition hand select, and I hope I won't be disappointed. That would be my first SKS.

Wish I had the funds to order one or two more, because I'm tempted to get one of those T6 Tapco stocks, or that Shernic bullpup configuration.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
Dude, post pics!
The rifles will be reassembled and pics up tonight.

Quote:

Mine should arrive from Classic Arms in a few days. Will post pics if I can take decent ones outside. I paid the $40 premium to get a serial/condition hand select, and I hope I won't be disappointed. That would be my first SKS.
The extra $40 is worth it. It may be your first, but it won't be your last. The SKS is my all time favorite firearm, period. With the 2 coming tomorrow, that will make 13 for me.

Quote:

Wish I had the funds to order one or two more, because I'm tempted to get one of those T6 Tapco stocks, or that Shernic bullpup configuration.
In my opinion, these rifles are RUINED when they get Bubba'd with Tapco stocks or any other ugly aftermarket parts. If the stock you receive is not serviceable, just get a replacement wood one. The SKS rifle needs zero modifications or 'upgrades'.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 12-04-2012 at 5:29 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 6:38 AM

13 now Bobby?! My safe filled up quickly once I got my 03, but you sir are on another level... when are you building the vault room?

I agree about the aftermarket stock options. They're all pretty ugly. I would consider an aftermarket stock only to preserve the original. Too bad they're all in black polymer. If someone made an inexpensive repro of the Chinese plastic stocks (like the "jungle" stocks) I might go for one and stash the wood away on my better example.
Old 12-04-2012, 6:51 AM

Where are you guys getting these?
Old 12-04-2012, 6:00 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

OK here are pics of the 2 Classic Arms SKS's.. They are fully cleaned and decosmolined, and great effort was made to clean up the stocks, which looked horrible out of the box. The gouges and mars are still there, but the rifle is smooth and silky to the touch and the stock looks a little better and feels great. The second one that came had less bluing, some trench art, and a pill shaped arsenal repair to the stock. I had to wrap up this project because I have a few more coming!

Old 12-04-2012, 8:44 PM

Anyone get any from Weideners?
Old 12-05-2012, 2:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepunisher View Post
Anyone get any from Weideners?
Very nice SKS, especially the one with plaenty blue remaining.

I am very close to sealing the deal at Widners. Just waiting for more $$$ to come available. lol..

-178S
Old 12-06-2012, 3:11 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Yes, the two above are keepers for sure. I got 2 more last night that are super dirty, so I don't even know yet what kind of condition they are in. I will probably sell one and keep one. This has been FUN!
Old 12-06-2012, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!

Dog-gone-it; Now I have to buy one now!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.