Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

View Poll Results: What to do?
Keep at them. They'll fix it. 20 20.20%
Give up and shoot it. It's not that bad 27 27.27%
Sell it and get a real Marlin. 52 52.53%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
The barrel band on the most popular 22 rifle sold in America is plastic - the Ruger 10/22. So Henry isn't doing anything the top seller isn't.

Use a match to eliminate the fuzz. It's fine to use a plastic sight post when it's surrounded by a protective metal shroud.

Most people use an optic or aftermarket sights of their preference. I know when I buy a new gun, that's usually what I do.
My old 10/22s bands are metal, the new is plastic and so is its stock but front sight is metal.

The Henry's front sight and front barrel band is one piece. I used a lighter on fuzz but it still looks cheap. To replace front sight have to replace front barrel band and either dove tail barrel or drill and tap unless they make a sight that fits on with just the one hole already there.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
My old 10/22s bands are metal, the new is plastic and so is its stock but front sight is metal.

The Henry's front sight and front barrel band is one piece. I used a lighter on fuzz but it still looks cheap. To replace front sight have to replace front barrel band and either dove tail barrel or drill and tap unless they make a sight that fits on with just the one hole already there.
HiViz makes a great replacement front sight made of metal.

Skinner also makes great front and rear metal sights.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 08-06-2017 at 11:26 AM..
Old 08-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The barrel band on the most popular 22 rifle sold in America is plastic - the Ruger 10/22. So Henry isn't doing anything the top seller isn't.

Use a match to eliminate the fuzz. It's fine to use a plastic sight post when it's surrounded by a protective metal shroud.

Most people use an optic or aftermarket sights of their preference. I know when I buy a new gun, that's usually what I do. IMHO, most factory stock sights on most guns suck. I suspect most gun manufacturers know people have personal preferences for sights and are going to change them out anyway, and that's why they give us crappy sights. Think the Henry is bad? Try Glock or Rossi.
I don't have a Glock but I have a Rossi, it's front sight is built into front band too but it is made of metal. It don't look good but works fine. replacing it would be same problem as Henry.

They should all put sight like Browning put on their lever rifles although Marlin's and Winchester's aren't bad.

Last edited by TMB 1; 08-06-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Old 08-06-2017, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I don't have a Glock but I have a Rossi, it's front sight is built into front band too but it is made of metal. It don't look good but works fine. replacing it would be same problem as Henry.

They should all put sight like Browning put on their lever rifles although Marlin's and Winchester's aren't bad.
The problem with the Rossi is the rear sight. Most people change out the Rossi sights just like about every other weapon out there. The Henry isn't a problem to change out unless you think the screw is too tight.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 08-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The problem with the Rossi is the rear sight. Most people change out the Rossi sights just like about every other weapon out there. The Henry isn't a problem to change out unless you think the screw is too tight.
Does that Henry front sight you linked come in different heights?

Rear sights should be something like this
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...ght-steel-blue
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...tor-steel-blue
Can put these easily on any lever rifle I have.

Front sight should be something like this or a blade. Can even put this kind on a ramp too.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...teel-blue-bead

Can easily put this type on every lever I have except Rossi and daughters Henry they require more work and parts to do.

Last edited by TMB 1; 08-06-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 12:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just to at least make you feel better, I recently got a CZ shotgun that was flat out broken when I received it. The stock had a bit crack down it as though someone took it and swung it like a baseball bat and hit something. It's not JUST Remington, there are issues with any brand where a person has to do fitting or anything like that. QC is the real issue, not necessarily the machines or otherwise.
Old 08-06-2017, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Does that Henry front sight you linked come in different heights?
Not that I'm aware of. With the Henry, the rear sight is supposed to provide all the windage and elevation adjustments. Perhaps your rear is the problem. I would call Henry and ask what they recommend. You can't be the first time they've heard of this.

As far as aftermarket sights, I'm no Henry expert, so you'd have to do some research. I know some like the Marble Arms rear sight. It's adjustable for both windage and elevation, so you don't have to worry about the height of your front sight. Just make sure you buy the short version. I bought the long for my Rossi, but still haven't installed it.

Old 08-06-2017, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I just came across an article where the Henry user switched his front sight to the HiViz and the rear sight to the Marble. He said it works great. But, in his article I came across this gem:

Quote:
I have been informed by the good people at Henry Repeating Arms, actually the President and CEO Mr. Imperato himself has informed me that the front sight is made of an alloy, as well as the receiver itself being made of steel. It is the receiver covers which are made of the Zamak alloy so durability has never been a question. If I could make one suggestion to Mr. Imperato it would have nothing to do with the products he or his company produces. Maybe Mr. Imperato should give serious thought to starting another company to consult with others about true customer service because he and his customer support staff have mastered it. Mr. Imperato is so committed to this country and his employees that a 3rd motto has been added to the Henry legacy “Made in America or Not Made at All”
The bold is my emphasis.

Old 08-06-2017, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. With the Henry, the rear sight is supposed to provide all the windage and elevation adjustments. Perhaps your rear is the problem. I would call Henry and ask what they recommend. You can't be the first time they've heard of this.

As far as aftermarket sights, I'm no Henry expert, so you'd have to do some research. I know some like the Marble Arms rear sight. It's adjustable for both windage and elevation, so you don't have to worry about the height of your front sight. Just make sure you buy the short version. I bought the long for my Rossi, but still haven't installed it.
If you run out of elevation on rear sight it's because front sight is too tall.
I like to have zero at 25 yards with rear sight on lowest notch not the highest.
Quote:
I just came across an article where the Henry user switched his front sight to the HiViz and the rear sight to the Marble. He said it works great. But, in his article I came across this gem:

Quote:
I have been informed by the good people at Henry Repeating Arms, actually the President and CEO Mr. Imperato himself has informed me that the front sight is made of an alloy, as well as the receiver itself being made of steel. It is the receiver covers which are made of the Zamak alloy so durability has never been a question. If I could make one suggestion to Mr. Imperato it would have nothing to do with the products he or his company produces. Maybe Mr. Imperato should give serious thought to starting another company to consult with others about true customer service because he and his customer support staff have mastered it. Mr. Imperato is so committed to this country and his employees that a 3rd motto has been added to the Henry legacy “Made in America or Not Made at All”
The bold is my emphasis.
If this front sight is metal it's plastic coated non magnetic.
Old 08-06-2017, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

I tried to warn you...
Old 08-06-2017, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for updating us OP. That QC is just flat out horrible. If I were you, I would insist on them paying for you to ship the gun back, fix ALL the problems, and send it back to you.

Now I know not to buy a modern Marlin.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Here you go. Top notch fit and finish and I hear they have excellent customer service.
Old 08-06-2017, 3:03 PM

I've always found it to my advantage to buy from a LGS. Sure, it's a few bucks more to buy, but I get to examine the piece before I lay down the cash. Doing it that way, I avoid the pitfalls of the proverbial 'pig in a poke' and over a lifetime of use, the few extra dollars spent to acquire a well put together rifle from my LGS is worth it.

As for your problem with the Marlin: You'll never be happy with a rifle that you feel isn't right and selling it at this point will be a loss. I would suggest that you outline the defects, include pictures for reference and send the rifle back to Marlin for repair. Eventually, they'll get it right.
Old 08-06-2017, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Henry View Post
I've always found it to my advantage to buy from a LGS. Sure, it's a few bucks more to buy, but I get to examine the piece before I lay down the cash. Doing it that way, I avoid the pitfalls of the proverbial 'pig in a poke' and over a lifetime of use, the few extra dollars spent to acquire a well put together rifle from my LGS is worth it.

As for your problem with the Marlin: You'll never be happy with a rifle that you feel isn't right and selling it at this point will be a loss. I would suggest that you outline the defects, include pictures for reference and send the rifle back to Marlin for repair. Eventually, they'll get it right.
If anybody around here had a GBL, I'd have gone that route. I managed to handle one at Scheels in Reno and it looked fine, so I took the stab at ordering one.

I'm doing exactly what you suggest. I'm going to either get a refund or get it up to standard, and I might sell it at a loss after that anyway if I can find a JM marked, blued, non ported 1895G around here.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 08-06-2017, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you run out of elevation on rear sight it's because front sight is too tall.
I like to have zero at 25 yards with rear sight on lowest notch not the highest.
If you were filing down your front sight, that means the rifle is shooting low and you want to raise the point of impact. The other way to make it shoot higher is to raise the rear sight and not file the front sight.

Old 08-06-2017, 5:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Thanks for updating us OP. That QC is just flat out horrible. If I were you, I would insist on them paying for you to ship the gun back, fix ALL the problems, and send it back to you.

Now I know not to buy a modern Marlin.
QC is not designed in principle to sort out good from crap. It's simply there to verify that quality requirements are met at each stage of manufacturing.

Somebody posted back as to Remington "revamping" their product line and that, as if by magic or hallucination, took quality back to pre-Rem standards.

Remington's "revamp" was to hire workers who'd never hand fitted a weapon, never apprenticed with simple stuff before moving upward, and wouldn't know how to judge a well-fitted stock if they had to...which they do.

All that aside, there have been tons of reports of RemLin crap guns ever since the takeover of Marlin and "revamping" production with amateurs. At this time, I'll take any Marlin up to the push button safety and stop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Henry View Post

I'd opt for a full refund and then find an older gun that's been well taken care of...that's probably a stretch.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 08-06-2017, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you were filing down your front sight, that means the rifle is shooting low and you want to raise the point of impact. The other way to make it shoot higher is to raise the rear sight and not file the front sight.
What happens when you raise rear sight all the way and impact is still low? Set zero at 25 yards then it's on again at about 75 yards. Want to shoot further start raising rear sight. Can't do that if rear sight is already up all the way.

Last edited by TMB 1; 08-06-2017 at 6:13 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 6:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What happens when you raise rear sight all the way and impact is still low?
That's crazy talk man!

I don't know how high those prongs go or what you'd stuff under them, but something's definitely wrong. I'd be on the horn with Henry first thing in the morning. That ain't right.

Check the crown of your barrel. Is there a big ding in it? Did you accidentally drive your truck over the barrel?

Old 08-06-2017, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's crazy talk man!

I don't know how high those prongs go or what you'd stuff under them, but something's definitely wrong. I'd be on the horn with Henry first thing in the morning. That ain't right.

Check the crown of your barrel. Is there a big ding in it? Did you accidentally drive your truck over the barrel?
No dings in crown. Impact is fine now, but still ugly plastic sight.
Old 08-06-2017, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
If anybody around here had a GBL, I'd have gone that route. I managed to handle one at Scheels in Reno and it looked fine, so I took the stab at ordering one.

I'm doing exactly what you suggest. I'm going to either get a refund or get it up to standard, and I might sell it at a loss after that anyway if I can find a JM marked, blued, non ported 1895G around here.
Maybe keep it for a truck gun and get one of these
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...rnment+26%22+W
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...1886+.45-70+26

Unless you can find a Browning or Winchester for a good price.
Old 08-07-2017, 4:44 AM

I have a newer remlin and it's fine...i'd say "hit or miss" is a better way to describe their quality than "junk".

Then again, i picked my gun out myself at my LGS.
Old 08-07-2017, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
I have a newer remlin and it's fine...i'd say "hit or miss" is a better way to describe their quality than "junk".

I got an 1895 last year from Buds, delivered to my LGS; seemed OK to me, shoots nice too. Maybe it depends on the model, or maybe the 1 of 1500 guns were made better, earlier, or something? It was a limited edition, gold inlaid, engraved, and so on.
Old 08-07-2017, 5:58 PM

Why did you buy, to collect or as a brush gun? I think it's fine for what you paid. The lever is heat treated so that is the roughness you see in the finish. I can show you a JM gun with same looking lever. If it shoots and feeds ok I would keep it. You can fix the fit of the stock. I bought a unfired JM 1895gbl a few years back but I paid for it......JMs are getting more expensive. I think the whole thing abut remlins is blown out of proportion. The ones I have seen were decent shooters. The chekering is atrocious compared to a JM. I bought a spare stock for mine. Interestingly the fit was perfect, I just could not get over the checkering. Ended up selling it on eBay.

image.jpg

Last edited by Johneracer; 08-07-2017 at 6:03 PM..
Old 08-07-2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:

Here you go. Top notch fit and finish and I hear they have excellent customer service.
Good god that's hideous! My eyes are bleeding just looking at that.

Last edited by Johneracer; 08-07-2017 at 6:17 PM.. Reason: Added more emoji
Old 08-08-2017, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post

And I bought mine from the shop. After the rebate, my scope cost more than the rifle, I think.... I purchased the rifle as an Ohio deer gun (I can only use straight cartridge in ohio). The gun works... it was 500 bucks. IT shoots really well and my sights have not fallen off. I'm happy. If I were buying it for aesthetics.... I would have bought a more expensive rifle but hopefully I get a chance to beat the tar out of this rifle, drop,it from a few perches and toss it behind the front seat of an old pickup :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 8:05 AM

Quote:

What, in heaven's sake is that? I felt stupid putting a scope on my Guide gun.... that is just, well, I dunno what it is. :-)

Old 08-08-2017, 8:08 AM

Quote:

Most people use an optic or aftermarket sights of their preference. I know when I buy a new gun, that's usually what I do. IMHO, most factory stock sights on most guns suck. I suspect most gun manufacturers know people have personal preferences for sights and are going to change them out anyway, and that's why they give us crappy sights. Think the Henry is bad? Try Glock or Rossi.

This, Glock sights are the crippiest crap crap in the whole universe. so cheap and crappy that I don't have words. i've said it before, I know, but it interests me because I really cant find anything else on mine I would change, so why would something that well designed have something that useless on it? Mayhaps a tool designer forgot the sights are used from time to time.

Old 08-08-2017, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnoforn View Post
This, Glock sights are the crippiest crap crap in the whole universe. so cheap and crappy that I don't have words. i've said it before, I know, but it interests me because I really cant find anything else on mine I would change, so why would something that well designed have something that useless on it? Mayhaps a tool designer forgot the sights are used from time to time.
I assumed it was because sights are very personal so they simply avoided putting much money into something that many people would switch out anyway?
Old 08-08-2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:

Ewwwww...
Old 08-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Best reason to NEVER buy a Remington, Marlin product right here. WTF were they thinking?
That's a Mossberg. I just posted pic of it because of the nicely fitted durable plastic.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Best reason to NEVER buy a Remington, Marlin product right here. WTF were they thinking?

Quote:
That's a Mossberg. I just posted pic of it because of the nicely fitted durable plastic.
I was on meds.
Old 08-09-2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigue View Post
I assumed it was because sights are very personal so they simply avoided putting much money into something that many people would switch out anyway?

Maybe, but the pistol was designed to be ubiquitous. When I was issued my first .45, it shook like a baby's rattle and was made by a hungover housewife probably at 0730 on a Monday in 1944... but nothing was going to snap off of it in the dark. I have just always been fascinated with the Glock; it was designed to be a simple, durable military and police tool (and people dont swap out sights on their issue pistol) yet, as simple an unadorned and practical as it is the sights were an afterthought. You would almost thing Glock would have just attached permanent sights made from alloy on the slide.

Now we can get on about customizing a McDonald's cheeseburger... but then I'd really be getting off topic.

Old 08-09-2017, 9:35 PM

The gent on Castboolits has had his Marlin shipped back four times to fix his barrel with no improvement. As much as I would like to get a Marlin 1894 CBA, unless I can see it first at a gun store, I doubt I will buy one any time soon too. Sad.

No Agenda Podcast - Obedience is best.
Old 08-09-2017, 9:39 PM

I caught the lever gun bug after buying a lowly Rossi 1895 .357. Then I bought Browning BLR 30 .06. I find myself tempted to buy a Marlin 45. 70 but am dubious about the quality.
Old 08-12-2017, 6:36 PM

All my Marlins are pre Remington, the new ones suck badly.
Old 08-13-2017, 8:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Update:

Remington has asked me to send it in for service.

Despite my very clear list of issues and conversation with the customer service guy, the only thing they listed on the return paperwork is the poorly fit stock. I'm hoping they will see the rest and fix that.

Not super thrilled that a brand new rifle has so many problems.

Quote:
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 08-13-2017, 5:36 PM

Location: Presently located on rodent infestedmountain in northeast Pennsylvania

Was actually thinking about selling our 45-70 Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. It's a year 2000 built carbine in the blue with ported barrel. As with all old Marlin products, the fit and finish is excellent + +. Have two other 336 Marlin lever guns in 30-30 and .35 Remington calibers. Took a look at some newly manufactured Marlin lever actions recently in a local rip-off retail sporting goods brick n' mortar store. Having real Marlin guns for comparison makes one realize how substandard are current offerings from Remington. Why would anybody lay out hard cash for that newly made junk? It's an insult! It's crap!

At least for now . . . I'll likely keep the old Marlins. Don't shoot anything much if ever but enjoy every now and then lubing the things and looking at them.
Old 08-17-2017, 1:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Sell your Remlin---just sell it---look for an older Marlin---maybe even a pre-safety model in fine shape---pay a bit more---have a lifetime rifle and be done with it...

I love older 870s (have three)---the fit and finish of these older guns is far ahead of todays production IMHO---I have a lifetime supply of theseā€¦ Same thing with a mint Nylon 66 I bought a few years back...
Old 08-19-2017, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

They now have the rifle at some repair facility in IL which surprised me. The rifle didn't go back to Remington in NY.

Waiting to see what I get back. I won't give up until the fix it, but I'll probably wind up selling it if I can find a JM 1895G.

Quote:
Old 09-04-2017, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Emailed them and asked for an update. Waiting to hear back.

The only other gun I've ever had to send in for service is a S&W 617. Smith had it for less than a week from door to door, and in that time rebarreled it, replaced the cylinder and fixed the timing.

Remington doesn't quite meet those expectations.

Quote: