Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-01-2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarmonkey View Post
Everyone is a newbie at some point. I've been shooting for less than 6 months now, but I know enough to seek out training. I just purchased my first rifle, and I have no intention of even loading a single round into the mag until I get someone to show me how to properly handle and operate the weapon.

Maybe I'm missing something because I'm new to this, but I do see an unhealthy pattern with how the sport is currently being "sold," with a lot of emphasis on the sexy gear, and not enough on fundamentals. It's an effective method of growing an industry and making money, but the resulting side-effect seems to be that too many new people put a lot of money into expensive guns, a little less on not-so-expensive ammo, and then virtually nothing on classes or training.

Not sure what the solution is, but I suspect it will fall more on the more experienced members of the gun community to help "school" us newbies. I think I'm more the exception than the norm in that I'm eager to learn starting with the basics. For most, they're going to have to get that guidance from somewhere other than the companies trying to sell them cool gear.

As to how this particular incident happened, from what I saw/heard, it seems that the person who ND'd (or one of the people in his group) failed to properly clear the gun at the firing line, then failed to leave the gun there and instead brought it back to the rear benches. The result was this poor dude (not with that group) getting hit as he was stepping back from the line. Really, though, it could've been anyone there getting hit.
If you feel you need "training" to handle guns safely, that's fine. Not everyone does. I don't think it's a lack of training issue; I think it's a lack of common sense issue. Training won't fix stupid; that just makes them a stupid gun owner who has had training. Everyone who has a driver's license had training & passed written and driving tests. That doesn't necessarily make them safe drivers.

I was a newbie 45 years ago. I've never had any training. The first gun I bought came with a manual that included safe (common sense) handling instructions. I read them & followed them. I shot competitively, carried concealed & handloaded etc. for 45 years & never had an AD, ND or whatever they're called now.
Old 01-01-2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Become an old retired white guy and only go to the range weekdays.
Actually I've only tried one weekend and it was a real zoo, but weekdays are bad enough.
Old 01-01-2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
.... for 45 years & never had an AD, ND or whatever they're called now.
I had an AD but I'm going w/ it's not really my fault - the guy I was out shooting with offered to let me shoot his rifle and it fired when I closed the bolt. He'd been "fixing" the trigger and apparently it had to be closed just the right way. I'm not taking the blame for that one.

I had it pointed DR anyway so I just felt that was enough shooting that rifle and excused myself for the day, never shot with that buffoon again.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigue View Post
I had an AD but I'm going w/ it's not really my fault - the guy I was out shooting with offered to let me shoot his rifle and it fired when I closed the bolt. He'd been "fixing" the trigger and apparently it had to be closed just the right way. I'm not taking the blame for that one.

I had it pointed DR anyway so I just felt that was enough shooting that rifle and excused myself for the day, never shot with that buffoon again.
You had enough common sense to keep that muzzle DR and it saved a life.
The other guy should be given a swift kick in the ***** for being such an idiot. Probably watched too many DIY youtube videos.
Old 01-15-2017, 8:46 PM

I would like to see local gun shops post listings of places where newbies can go to get basic firearm safety training. I would also like to see these shops encourage newbies to take a safety class. I don't want to see it mandated by law. What comes as common sense to most of us doesn't occur to some people unless someone points it out to them. Like, keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

My brother and his son came out for a visit recently so I took them to the local range (Firing Line, HB). My nephew (22 yrs old) has never held a gun before. His mother is as anti as they come. As I was setting things up at the shooting bench, I noticed a nice hole in the plastic bench. I told my nephew "Don't be that guy". I started him off with the .22 and put only 1 round in the magazine to see how he reacted after it went off. He did real well. We shot my Ruger Mark II, Security 6, and Glock 23 and he gave me no reason to worry. I told him to take his targets home to show his mother. LOL
Old 01-15-2017, 8:58 PM

I was just thinking today about how scary it is that any doofus can stroll in off the street, hand over a fake ID, and be armed minutes later. Uncool.
Old 01-15-2017, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
I was just thinking today about how scary it is that any doofus can stroll in off the street, hand over a fake ID, and be armed minutes later. Uncool.

lol

The world is a scary place broseph.
Old 01-21-2017, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsavaho View Post
😂😂😂 This !!!
"VILLAGE PEOPLE" and "OPERATOR" TYPES 🙄🙄

When EGO and STUPIDITY are combined, it's a damn
DISASTER!!

When you see em EEDDIIOOTTSS look left and right
after couple of rounds from their tactical NINJA AR's
begging for attention 😂😂
specially when you got females around as well.
lol village people and operators lol. just make it short. I always call them rambos
Old 01-21-2017, 5:08 AM

angeles range should keep data base of all shooters and the new shooters or first timers should be given an orientation and safety 30 min class before going to shoot. those who been there already do not have to attend the class.
Old 01-21-2017, 8:31 AM

Rambos blowing wades all over tissue paper targets. Hahaha
Old 01-21-2017, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Become an old retired white guy and only go to the range weekdays.
That's when I go. On my vacation days during the week. First thing in the morning. By the time I'm ready to leave, the yahoos show up.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM

I've never been at Angeles but I've been at Burro and I did notice something quite disturbing. The range workers did not give a damn about being professional. Granted, people can do something stupid even after being given the best instructions, but it certainly doesn't help if the range workers act like minimum wage workers at Walmart.

At Burro, the people were rude, instructions utterly unclear, and one of them got raving mad, foaming at the mouth when I misunderstood something he said because I was wearing heavy ear protection. And I wasn't even endangering anyone, my gun was unloaded on the bench, pointing downrange.

Especially with new shooters, a professional range worker can help. They should probably be paid more, and they should hire better people. Granted, I imagine it's probably not the best job one would want, but still, customers are not the only one who act like "tactical operators" with more "gun brawn" than brain.