Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Default $99 survival shotgun, Walmart

I'm astonished over a dozen youtubes on how to modify the gun to make it fold, storage holes in the stock, improve the trigger pull.

The trigger pull adjust mod is really easy.

To cover the cuts to make the gun fold tight, they use wrap around camouflage tape.

Instead of shotgun shells in the stock holes maybe a couple choke tubes (if you have choke threads added on the front). Mike Orlen, moderator at shotgunworld is reasonably priced choke gunsmith shop , 20% discount to anyone registered at shotgunworld.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=12

The gun has a rib, and sights (for slugs), sights designed to setscrew mount onto ribs are easy to find.

Another idea for the hole storage instead of two shells, is a gauge adapter 12 to 20. And a 20 to .22LR placed inside the first adapter (they will nest). Or a 20 to 410.

Old 09-25-2017, 2:29 PM

Got a link? The one you posted is just the forum main page.
Old 09-25-2017, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Very cool!
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 09-25-2017, 3:56 PM

Videos show on my phone. Couldn't see them on the computer. Pretty cool.
Old 09-25-2017, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Wally world is the bomb...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 09-25-2017, 7:03 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

These are only 4 of the 15 or more youtube videos in modifying the Wallyworld Hatfield gun so that it folds in half all all the way and has a cut down barrel. All different people had their own ideas...

It makes for an ideal survival rig... at bargain price.
Old 09-25-2017, 8:47 PM

This is pretty cool. I especially like the way the guys are not afraid to attack this thing, sometimes without the right tools, because, hey, its a $99 shotgun. End result is pretty nice though.

So how do we get our hands on one of these behind the iron curtain in Kaliforniastan? They have reeducated Walmart into not selling guns here. Do we have to wait for the B-29's to come by and airdrop them, like they did with these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

Or maybe we can print them, like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_(gun)

Any other ideas for getting them here for anything close to $99?
Old 09-25-2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
If you live near Sacramento, Golden State Tactical has them.

https://www.goldenstatetacticalstore...g-shot-bl.aspx
Old 09-25-2017, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHobo View Post
If you live near Sacramento, Golden State Tactical has them.

https://www.goldenstatetacticalstore...g-shot-bl.aspx
Wow, that's great. Only $10 more and you don't have to go to Walmart. Good value. I live in the Bay Area but go through Sacramento from time to time. Might be worth picking one of these up just to practice my mad Bubba gunsmithing skills.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:47 PM

I wouldn’t mind a few sub100 shotguns. Any idea where to get them in SoCal?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a New England Arms single shot 12 gauge I bought a few years ago for a hundred bucks. I put it in a survival stock, bought some caliber inserts, 22, 9 and 45. It is multi-caliber survival. It is the bottom shotgun. The stock holds ammo and inserts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotguns.jpg (82.7 KB, 424 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 7:23 AM
Veteran Member

What's the theory on buying the sheitiest, cheapest gun you can for "survival"?
Old 09-26-2017, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like a fun project. You can get caliber adapters.

https://www.gunadapters.com/

Question is how do we find this Hatfield locally?

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 09-26-2017, 7:55 AM
Kitchen Operator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Last night when I did a Price Match Request at Buds it returned $110. But this morning it is up to $112 (must have been some action on this gun so Buds raised their price a bit).

Since it is free shipping I think that I'll pick one up to stack on my next DROS, as it will only at about $15 to the whole process.
Old 09-26-2017, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
My theory goes like this. You buy it because its a fun project to practice your gunsmithing and woodworking "skills" on. You get to cut down a barrel and feel like an outlaw without breaking the law. You get to use a jig saw and a drill for purposes they were never intended for, with detailed instructions on the web on how to do it.

Then when you screw it up and ruin something, it becomes a "survival" gun, because when your wife finds out she might let you "survive" since it only cost $99.

Then you learn your lessons, and after spending a few hundred dollars to placate the wife, you use the first one as a parts gun, and "survive" to buy another one for $99 and start the cycle over again. That's "survival."
Old 09-26-2017, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think the "theory" is that while nice shotguns are nice, usually people are unwilling to subject their "nice" shotgun to the wear & tear (and risk) of keeping it somewhere it might be needed on short or zero notice, such as a car trunk, in the motor home, at the cabin, or buried for TEOTWAWKI. Places it's not likely to find a lot of regular use but a usable (if somewhat craptastic) firearm that you really aren't going to be that upset if it gets a little rusty, scraped up, scratched etc. That kind of "survival", not "Red Dawn" survival. More like "Well, crap, here I am without a gun and really need one... oh, wait, didn't we have that El Cheapo thunderstick stuck back in the closet here at the cabin? Just for emergencies?" You pull it out and the stock has been gnawed on by mice and the barrel's got some rust freckled... but it still shoots.

Odds are most people would not want to store an AR or AK this same way for fear of theft while unattended or neglect-related damage to a reasonably expensive firearm. At $99 you can throw it away and buy a new one if the fuglification bothers you that much.

Last edited by bruss01; 09-26-2017 at 9:21 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Because single shot shotguns don't need to be expensive to work. Doesn't matter if they cost $100 or $1000, they'll work the same. There's very little to them and are one of the few firearms that could be worked on and repaired without much gunsmithing knowledge or proper spare parts.

Firing pin broke? Replace it with a pointy bit of hardened steel. Spring worn out? Find one and cut to fit. I used a spring from a ball point pen as a replacement firing pin spring. Most other types of firearms require more complex replacement parts. Even pump shotguns are fairly complex compared to the humble single shot.

There are older used shotguns by H&R, NEF and the various Sears brands out there for around $100 that are nicer quality, but still cheap and not usually collectible. So modifying them won't ruin their value since they have so little anyway. The problem with my old single shots is that they don't have vent ribs, making attaching slug sights difficult. But, if buckshot will suffice, the basic bead sight will work.
Old 09-28-2017, 8:24 AM

Default Cheaper than Walmart!

If anyone is interested in this gun, I found a source online that is cheaper than Walmart- under $95!

Woodbury Outfitters has them for a regualr price of $104.85 with free shipping: http://woodburyoutfitters.com/hatfie...uge-28-ush12w/

With SAVE10 promo code, you get 10% off. That makes it $94.36 shipped. Code ends at 11:59 EST tonight.

I have not bought from Woodbury Outfitters before, but I ordered one yesterday and got a tracking number this morning, so they're off to a good start. I have another online shotgun purchase coming, so I can put it on the same DROS, and FFL is charging only $10 extra for second gun. So basically my cost on this is $104.36 plus tax, and I never have to set foot in WalMart to do it.
Old 09-28-2017, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If anyone is interested in this gun, I found a source online that is cheaper than Walmart- under $95!

Woodbury Outfitters has them for a regualr price of $104.85 with free shipping: http://woodburyoutfitters.com/hatfie...uge-28-ush12w/

With SAVE10 promo code, you get 10% off. That makes it $94.36 shipped. Code ends at 11:59 EST tonight.

I have not bought from Woodbury Outfitters before, but I ordered one yesterday and got a tracking number this morning, so they're off to a good start. I have another online shotgun purchase coming, so I can put it on the same DROS, and FFL is charging only $10 extra for second gun. So basically my cost on this is $104.36 plus tax, and I never have to set foot in WalMart to do it.

Thank you!!!

Old 09-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Gun Search at wikiarms allows searching online for guns. Here is search for Hatfield. Apparently 410, 20, and 12.

They're all about $100 and all have ribs.

https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=hatfield

If you are watching any of the videos above on Youtube, you will see LOTS of other videos on the right hand side of the video playing window, by other people doing the same sort of mods on this same gun. Each doing the same thing in his own way, using different tools.

Simple hand tools hacksaw, electric drill, wood drill bit, file. And a knife sharpening stone (the guy said any $2 stone from the Dollar Store works, he was smoothing the trigger guard with it). Wrapping with camouflage tape after using linseed oil on the bare wood keeps it looking half way decent after bubba cuts to the stock.

The whole idea is a cheap survival pack rifle, perhaps using gauge adapters in holes in the stock.

https://www.gunadapters.com
Old 09-28-2017, 10:52 AM

OP, I can't say that I "need" this gun, but I'm really looking forward to the project. The price is unimaginable. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
Gun Search at wikiarms allows searching online for guns. Here is search for Hatfield. Apparently 410, 20, and 12.

They're all about $100 and all have ribs.

https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=hatfield

If you are watching any of the videos above on Youtube, you will see LOTS of other videos on the right hand side of the video playing window, by other people doing the same sort of mods on this same gun. Each doing the same thing in his own way, using different tools.

Simple hand tools hacksaw, electric drill, wood drill bit, file. And a knife sharpening stone (the guy said any $2 stone from the Dollar Store works, he was smoothing the trigger guard with it). Wrapping with camouflage tape after using linseed oil on the bare wood keeps it looking half way decent after bubba cuts to the stock.

The whole idea is a cheap survival pack rifle, perhaps using gauge adapters in holes in the stock.

https://www.gunadapters.com

I am undecided on the length of the adapters to get. It's essentially going to be a pistol velocity VS rifle velocity considering the length of the adapters in comparison to the shotgun barrel length. Any determination on your end?

Old 09-28-2017, 1:25 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

For rifle/handgun ammo in shotgun, the longer adapters give better accuracy, and are quieter shooting. But expensive. The best are the guy in Alaska (up to 18" long).

www.mcace.com/

For storing in the shotgun stock short is the way to go. It's ten dollars off on stack pack.
Shortlane runs sales every month , different product or sale each month. The stack pack is on sale now..
https://www.gunadapters.com/stack-n-pack-kit/

Youtube video show two 12 gauge shells stored in Hatfield stock one behind the other, so two short adaptors should fit, even if not stacked inside each other. Or one longer one, say 5 inches (the bug out rifled shortlane).
Old 09-28-2017, 1:28 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

He's shooting 40 yards in the video, shotgun patterns well. The .22 doesn't of course (it's an unrifled smooth .22 adapter).

You can build your own nest of adapters that fit inside each other, like 12 to 20, 20 to 9mm, etc., they will fit inside each other same way.

Last edited by Darto; 09-28-2017 at 1:31 PM..
Old 09-28-2017, 1:45 PM

If you want a survival single shot shotgun, build a slam gun for less than the cost of dros. Why spend 140+ when you can build with simple over the counter parts for 1/4 of the cost......that's survival. No springs, no triggers, nothing that can fail really.
Old 09-28-2017, 2:02 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

At 8 minutes into the second of three videos, shows to 12 gauge shells in one hole...
Old 09-28-2017, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compshell View Post
If you want a survival single shot shotgun, build a slam gun for less than the cost of dros. Why spend 140+ when you can build with simple over the counter parts for 1/4 of the cost......that's survival. No springs, no triggers, nothing that can fail really.

Except the barrel, exploding and turning your hand into a bloody stump. For $140, you can safely shoot buckshot and slugs with decent sights and trigger.

Nothing worse than having to survive and then injuring yourself with your own gear.

The point of crappy single use firearms is to kill someone and take their gun. Not survival in the conventional sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floogy View Post
Except the barrel, exploding and turning your hand into a bloody stump. For $140, you can safely shoot buckshot and slugs with decent sights and trigger.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't exaggerate! I'm into this for $112.85.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

$130 max OTD after shipping, tax, and DROS. It'll be a fun gun. After adapters and mods, I'm sure I'll be at $200 for a fun gun.

Last edited by code_blue; 09-29-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Old 09-29-2017, 7:58 AM

This looks like a fun project. I have to call my cousins we might have to a gun modification party.
Old 09-29-2017, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd think the 20 ga model and 5" adapter in .22 would be a better survival gun. Lighter and more handy. The 5" and 8" are rifled unlike the stack pack. But for some reason, they have no 8" 20 ga to .22 adapter.

I wish they'd make a 5" and 8" version of the stack pack with rifled .22.

Cutting the barrel may make it better for self defense, but would make it worse for hunting.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 09-29-2017 at 1:09 PM..
Old 09-29-2017, 5:49 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

by the way the gun is 4 pounds. In 12 ga. it is going to kick you!
Old 09-30-2017, 9:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Another reason to choose the 20 ga!

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-30-2017, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

I'll probably use a limbsaver. I'd rather have the ability to use 12.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:13 PM

If anyone's interested, Empowered Firearms in Vista had one of these single shot Hatfield's yesterday for about$ $120.
Old 10-19-2017, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Mine arrived. Many thanks to SandHill for the Woodbury deal and Darto for introducing this. Please continue to share your mods. I'm trying to map out what I will do. I'm thinking camo paint in brush pattern.

I did the trigger adjustment immediately and what a world of a difference. I need to seek out the appropriate sized washers to use to maintain tension. I don't like the idea of the tension bar/spring just sitting loosely. Maybe some trigger polishing.

Last edited by code_blue; 10-19-2017 at 4:33 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Mine arrived. Many thanks to SandHill for the Woodbury deal and Darto for introducing this.
Picking mine up tonight! Don't know when I will have time to mod it, but what a cool project. Thanks Darto!
Old 10-19-2017, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I saw one of the reviews say something like "it kicks so hard it must hate Jesus".
Old 02-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Just wanted to add there is a new gun of this type, about $145, by Midland.

But it has a shorter barrel (choice of lengths 18.5 " in 12 or .410 gauge).

Midland has announced there will be 'interchangeable' rifle barrels that swap on and off in seconds. Coming out later this year as accessories.

No external hammer. This is good if you are going to put a scope on it (because hammers are notorious to be hard to reach on scope mounted single barrel guns, even if an a sideways hammer exertion is added).

It also comes threaded for standard screw in chokes and has spacers included for pull length adjustment, and storage under the removable butt already installed.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/50-shot...omparison.html
Old 02-06-2018, 9:49 AM

wish I could find this Hatfield shotgun locally in socal. Nice little project