Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2017, 3:45 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 33
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default San Diego CCW

Since all the threads on San Diego are too old to comment on, I thought we needed a new one.

My understanding of the current SD Sheriff Department's "may issue" policy, pretty much boils down to this:

Good cause has to be circumstances which would make a person a specific target in contrast to a random one. Applicants are required to demonstrate the specific situation that places them in danger and submit evidence of current incidents which documents their claim.

So, other than a specific documented threat, does that pretty much cover it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2017, 5:25 AM
baranski's Avatar
baranski baranski is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South Vista
Posts: 2,019
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I suggest you contact Michael Schwartz at San Diego County Gun Owners. He could probably et you more clarity, or better yet attend a meeting.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-15-2017, 8:39 AM
Jimi Jah's Avatar
Jimi Jah Jimi Jah is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North San Diego County
Posts: 11,046
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Nothing has changed here in San Diego County other than a few attempts to go around the sheriff to allow cities to issue. So far, no luck here.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2017, 8:23 AM
elemen0hpee's Avatar
elemen0hpee elemen0hpee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 22
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Documented threats on your life.

Moving lots of cash for business.

That's about it.

Yes I have one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2017, 8:45 PM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alameda County
Posts: 7,176
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
I suggest you contact Michael Schwartz at San Diego County Gun Owners. He could probably et you more clarity, or better yet attend a meeting.
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

215+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2017, 9:11 PM
GlockUnCut's Avatar
GlockUnCut GlockUnCut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: █████████
Posts: 33
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Thank you... I get it now.

http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2017, 8:35 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alameda County
Posts: 7,176
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Thank you... I get it now.

http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
You should also read this thread about Dave Myers challenging Gore in the next sheriff's election (next June). Myers has said publicly and put on his website that he'll accept SD as sufficient GC to issue a CCW.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1340431
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

215+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2017, 8:14 PM
SOCAL-PRINCE SOCAL-PRINCE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 377
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hello, anyone know if theres any truth to the chatter im hearing that SD County is streamlining the CCW process for honorably discharged veterans who has served in combat zones?

I received the info from a credible SD County employee yesterday and gave me the number to the Ridghaven HQ office to initiate the process. I will contact the office tomorrow but wanted to see if I can get more information before I call.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2017, 8:04 AM
baggss's Avatar
baggss baggss is offline
Stoopid American Redneckô
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Eastern Ventura County
Posts: 2,685
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Hello, anyone know if theres any truth to the chatter im hearing that SD County is streamlining the CCW process for honorably discharged veterans who has served in combat zones?

I received the info from a credible SD County employee yesterday and gave me the number to the Ridghaven HQ office to initiate the process. I will contact the office tomorrow but wanted to see if I can get more information before I call.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Curious to see if this is true. It would be a pretty big change for Gore by itself.

Then again, it could also be a way to try and garner support from a large group of fairly conservative voters in the run up to next years election. The Dem he may be facing claims to be pro CCW IIRC.
__________________
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2017, 12:10 PM
SOCAL-PRINCE SOCAL-PRINCE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 377
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that itís about ď90-95 percent chance Iíll get itĒ.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I donít see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and weíll see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2017, 5:21 PM
Rivers's Avatar
Rivers Rivers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Poway, CA
Posts: 1,252
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
Hello, just a quick update, I spoke with a lady and all she told me is that there is no official policy or process to give honorably discharged veterans special considerations. However, she did say that being an honorably discharged veterans does increase my chance and if all checks out that it’s about “90-95 percent chance I’ll get it”.

She also said to put as much info of my military deployments on the application but I don’t see where in the application this would be appropriate. I will call again on Monday to clarify. Anyway, I made an appointment for 10/19 in the morning and we’ll see what happens.
Honestly, having been through their ringer at least a half dozen times and seen the attitudes in the review office, I very much doubt that being an honorably discharged veteran is going to tilt the scales enough for them to issue. You're going to need to satisfy the sheriff's requirements anyway or he won't issue. But that's my opinion.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for whom you vote will make a difference if that is the deciding point. Sheriff Gore is not going to change his policies unless the courts force him to do so.
__________________
NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2017, 1:52 AM
Endless's Avatar
Endless Endless is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ellsworth, ME/ Bend, OR
Posts: 1,044
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Honestly, having been through their ringer at least a half dozen times and seen the attitudes in the review office, I very much doubt that being an honorably discharged veteran is going to tilt the scales enough for them to issue. You're going to need to satisfy the sheriff's requirements anyway or he won't issue. But that's my opinion.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for whom you vote will make a difference if that is the deciding point. Sheriff Gore is not going to change his policies unless the courts force him to do so.
Can’t you go around the Sheriff? He should not be the final say. In Maine the Sheriff OR Chief of Maine State Police “shall issue” . You no longer need a permit or anything to conceal carry or open carry in Maine but before that the chief of police or sheriff would be the final say so and military veterans and retired police officers always got the permit quite easily.
__________________

Military veteran
DHS veteran

Last edited by Endless; 10-16-2017 at 1:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-16-2017, 7:19 AM
baggss's Avatar
baggss baggss is offline
Stoopid American Redneckô
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Eastern Ventura County
Posts: 2,685
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Can’t you go around the Sheriff? He should not be the final say. In Maine the Sheriff OR Chief of Maine State Police “shall issue” . You no longer need a permit or anything to conceal carry or open carry in Maine but before that the chief of police or sheriff would be the final say so and military veterans and retired police officers always got the permit quite easily.
CA PC allows for the Sheriff of a County or the Chief of Police of a city to issue. That's it. The state itself does not issue, and CA has no State Police force. At this time no cities in SD county issue either.

Since CA is a "May Issue" state, issuing revolves around "good cause" and thus the state is a patchwork of issue and no issue zones, with lots of variation in-between.

This might make things clearer for you:



You see lots of green, but only 43% of CAs population lives those areas of Green (dark and light). The remaining 57% of the states population resides mostly in Red.
__________________
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015



Last edited by baggss; 10-16-2017 at 7:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-16-2017, 7:48 AM
Supersapper Supersapper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 443
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

I happen to know a currently serving SSG in the National Guard (a native speaking Arabic interpreter in MI who has been to AFG and IRAQ as intel) whose family (and himself) were targeted. He documented everything.

Sheriff still refused to issue to him. I put him in contact with SDCGO and they're working to see if he can get one.

Apparently just having a threat to your life is not enough to get a way to protect yourself and your family.
__________________
Since you see light before you hear sound, is that why so many people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-16-2017, 2:53 PM
SOCAL-PRINCE SOCAL-PRINCE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 377
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

@Supersapper - Wow, thatís not promising at all. Iíll roll the dice and see what happens. Iíll report back later in the week. Wish me luck.....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-18-2017, 2:48 PM
Supersapper Supersapper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 443
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

I do wish you luck...much of it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
@Supersapper - Wow, thatís not promising at all. Iíll roll the dice and see what happens. Iíll report back later in the week. Wish me luck.....
__________________
Since you see light before you hear sound, is that why so many people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-18-2017, 2:56 PM
TKM's Avatar
TKM TKM is offline
Fire-Breathing Lizard.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same just to show them
Posts: 7,895
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

You want to carry in San Diego you better wear a black robe for a living or possess pics of the sheriff and livestock in action.

The DC ruling should help us down the road but for the moment we continue to be hosed.
__________________
In our family we don't hide crazy.... We put it on the porch and give it a cocktail!

The left love guns. Without guns, how would you force someone to bake a cake?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:32 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.