Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-12-2017, 4:02 AM

Default 10mm vs 45 ACP Video

Interesting video. I love my 10mm, would 45 ACP really be enough in California? The Arizona self defense case is also interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBkjdutVmFA
Old 10-12-2017, 5:15 AM
Veteran Member

interesting video...Thanks for posting
Old 10-12-2017, 5:18 AM

Paul Harrell does nice videos. His analysis of the Miami Dade FBI shootout is also very good.

In choosing between the 10mm and the 45ACP, I'd have to choose based on location and use. If indoors and defending myself against a bad guy bent on attacking me or my family, I'd rather touch off a sub sonic round. That means one traveling at less than 1,100 FPS. The 45 ACP is my choice here. Mine is loaded with 230gr Remington Golden Sabers.

If outdoors, defending myself against a mountain lion, bear or a big hog, the 10mm with it's extra energy would be my choice.
Old 10-12-2017, 6:07 AM

I use/carry the 45 ACP and next up is the 40 S&W
Old 10-12-2017, 6:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you shoot someone in self defense the powers that be will decide if charges will be filed against you. If your story is fishy and evidence backs up the fishy story with the district attorney having no bigger fish to fry, time to get a good lawyer. Having a weapon more powerful than issued weapons of LEOs doesn’t look good in front of the jury. Unless you were outdoors and that weapon was meant to protect you against bears, cougars, or you’re on a hunt and that’s all you had to defend yourself with.

Back to 10mm vs 45ACP. Real 10mm loads are definitely more powerful than any +p 45ACP factory loads. A full up 135 grain JHP 10mm is a powerload and have my vote to stop 2 legged animals. My old favorite outdoors load for 10mm we’re 180 grain JHP for the first mag and the rest were 200 grain FMJ.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 10-12-2017, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

For self defense inside my home, I choose either the subsonic .45 ACP or subsonic 147gr 9mm.
Old 10-12-2017, 7:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"If you have a 10mm, some people will assume you are a criminal"

Hard to take him serious when he says things like this, even in jest...

Last edited by GlockN'Roll; 10-12-2017 at 8:25 AM..
Old 10-12-2017, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

That vid is a bunch of hooey. My 10mm Glock can penetrate four T-72 tanks and still have enough energy to knock out a rocket man ballistic missile.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM

""If you have a 10mm, some people will assume you are a criminal"

Hard to take him serious when he says things like this, even in jest... "

For years police were not allowed to shoot hollow point because it was 'more deadly." In California you're restricted to a 10 round magazine. The uneducated masses are just that, uneducated. If a DA can spew forth an assertion that you used "unnecessary" deadly force -a more powerful gun than used by the local police, a 15 round magazine when everyone knows that 10 is good enough, night sights, trigger job - all that implies you were looking out for a fight, not re-acting to the situation. Yes, that's all crap but you can be assured that the DA would kick off the jury someone like you or I who would disagree with that notion. The DA wants a sheep he can manipulate into his view of thinking (or propaganda) and bend the law to his point of view.

So you may not take him seriously when he makes that 10mm = criminal statement, unfortunately there are those who will at they may be on the jury.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 AM

10mm is great if you are getting charged by a bear, not much for anything else. Good luck with follow up shots in a stressed situation or god forbid shooting 1 handed.

Never understood the fascination with those rounds, guess some people are still stuck in the bigger is better mentality.

Then again, if it toots you're horn, by all means go for it, it's just personal preference I guess =)
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmortal View Post
10mm is great if you are getting charged by a bear, not much for anything else. Good luck with follow up shots in a stressed situation or god forbid shooting 1 handed.

Never understood the fascination with those rounds, guess some people are still stuck in the bigger is better mentality.

Then again, if it toots you're horn, by all means go for it, it's just personal preference I guess =)
Evidently you didn't watch the video. There was no decrease in speed or accuracy with a 10mm.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM

This guy is the Alton Brown of the gun shows.
Old 10-12-2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
For self defense inside my home, I choose either the subsonic .45 ACP or subsonic 147gr 9mm.
We need a 45 vs 9mm video now. I've never seen or heard this discussed before.
Old 10-14-2017, 7:24 AM

Thumbs up

Great Video, Thanks For Posting!
P-85 Ruger MKII, Glock 17-29-32-20-21SF, M9A1 Beretta, SA/XD 40 Ported, SA/XD 45ACP 5" Tactical, 2-Bushmaster XM15 E2S, 1-Armalite AR10A2, 2-RRA OLL, 1-Stag OLL, 5-JD Machine Tech OLL, KRISS Vector 45ACP CRB, Stoeger’s Double Defense Shotgun 12ga, Saiga 12ga Tactical Shotgun IZ-SL433A, Remington 870 12ga 18" Barrel.
Old 10-14-2017, 7:35 AM

And in other news more people are killed with .22 than any other caliber according to FBI stats. Clearly .22 is more lethal.

Last edited by mjmagee67; 10-14-2017 at 9:04 AM..
Old 10-14-2017, 8:10 AM

I've always wanted a 10mm. The cost of 10mm wasn't much more than .45acp at one point in time. Now with the inability to buy ammo online in a few months, I just can't afford to jump into a new caliber at this moment.

Reloading is the only solution. I'd rather be spending time with the family when I'm not shooting, but we're all going to be forced to start reloading at some point when the pallets of ammo taking up the spare guest bedroom runs dry.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmortal View Post

Wouldn't be my first choice for a bear-defense round:

Compare 185gr 10mm @ 1200 fps vs. Buffalo Bore Bear Ammo - 330gr 44mag @ 1500 fps. At least twice the energy for the bear round. Of course if you aren't carrying a shotgun or rifle in serious bear country you are just asking for a bad day.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 10-14-2017 at 11:05 AM..
Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This- \|/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Paul Harrell does nice videos. His analysis of the Miami Dade FBI shootout is also very good.

In choosing between the 10mm and the 45ACP, I'd have to choose based on location and use. If indoors and defending myself against a bad guy bent on attacking me or my family, I'd rather touch off a sub sonic round. That means one traveling at less than 1,100 FPS. The 45 ACP is my choice here. Mine is loaded with 230gr Remington Golden Sabers.

If outdoors, defending myself against a mountain lion, bear or a big hog, the 10mm with it's extra energy would be my choice.
Old 10-14-2017, 1:39 PM

10mm all the way hard to beat 10 to 33 rds of Some Underwood . Start playing with spring weights , slides , sights an tuning a Glock and things start getting very fun . My long slide 10mm is like shooting a Buck mark almost no muzzle rise . Even in the Stock slide with a 21lb spring it's a easy shooter .