Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2017, 2:43 AM

Default Newbie first handgun

Just looking to meet up at the range with someone this weekend that feel like educating first time handgun buyer looking to buy home defense weapon and can point me in the right direction. I'm a avid outdoorsman and have been around firearms most my life. Not real sure why I have never owned a pistol before. I would be happy to buy ammo and would appreciate any knowledge. I live in south san jose and willing to travel.

Last edited by lvniko11; 01-07-2017 at 2:51 AM..
Old 01-07-2017, 4:41 AM

Jackson Arms in South San Francisco rents long guns and handguns (I think you have to bring a buddy, or a firearm of your own if you want to rent). If you cannot find a willing CG'r..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2017, 8:16 AM

Same with reeds. You need a buddy to go with if you don't bring your own gun. What are some things in a gun that are import to you?

Old 01-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemtn View Post
Same with reeds. You need a buddy to go with if you don't bring your own gun. What are some things in a gun that are import to you?

+1 on Reeds, no need to go all the way up to SF for that. I'd stay away from Target Masters for time being.

So do you already have something set in mind? .22, 9mm.... 45cal?

Will this be your only handgun and point of home defense? There's a few things to keep in mind.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Do you know if you are interested in a particular type of gun, such as striker fired or hammer fired, or perhaps you like the SA XD or mod.2 or Glock style, or 1911?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2017, 3:35 PM

I'm a little busy this weekend but if it was another weekend I could make the time to help out another person interested in shooting.

Would definitely go to Reeds Indoor Range, very clean and safe and they have a good selection to rent and try out.

It's about 20 dollars for 2 people per hour but they don't usually time you if you go over. Last time I was their with my cousin we were their over 2.5 hours and they only charged us for one hour.

Then about 10 dollars per firearm rented, the part that sucks they charge double what a box of ammo should cost if you one rent one of their guns.

For most new shooters I find that they tend to pick up on more easily and quickly with a DAO striker fired guns like the Glock. Hammer fired guns just confuse people who haven't been around them all their lives with manual safeties and or de-cockers.
Old 01-08-2017, 5:34 PM

One piece of advise no matter what you get, don 't get the cheapest. I did, and I regret it. My SD40VE, while it works, has had to be repaired twice. I wish I had spent an extra 100 or so.
Old 01-13-2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1LAN0 View Post
I'd stay away from Target Masters for time being.
just curious, what's wrong with Target Masters?
Old 01-13-2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP2MTNS View Post
just curious, what's wrong with Target Masters?
I think the easier question is... what's NOT wrong with Target Masters...
Old 01-13-2017, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

There is a monthly meet-up in San Jose on the 24th

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1290443
Old 01-13-2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1LAN0 View Post
I think the easier question is... what's NOT wrong with Target Masters...
lol, alrighty then
Old 01-13-2017, 9:20 PM

PM me if you want to meet at Reed's Saturday.
Old 01-15-2017, 6:53 PM

Was in the same boat but I went down to Bay Area Gun Vault to take the test then bought a SIG P226. Then, a few days later, I spoke to my GF's son and he said that Targetmasters and Reeds allows people to rent pistols to try them out.
So, try a couple of models out before you buy. I'm still learning to use the SIG with snap caps before I go out to the range.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:22 PM

Thanks for all the support from everyone, I purchased a Springfield Armory XD45 and waiting to get it out of jail on wednesday. Really looking forward to shooting sometime after I pick it up and clean it.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 PM

Nice OP. Congrats!

Old 01-20-2017, 2:31 AM

Congrats OP's first gun. XD is a very good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb1001 View Post
Was in the same boat but I went down to Bay Area Gun Vault to take the test then bought a SIG P226. Then, a few days later, I spoke to my GF's son and he said that Targetmasters and Reeds allows people to rent pistols to try them out.
Yes but they don't rent to single shooter. You have to bring a friend with you. I prefer buy a popular gun like glock 19 first. It is very easy to sale to other calguners and you can't go wrong with a glock. This way you can play with it at home as long as you like. Practice with dumb rounds and attend firearm training classes. Later you will have a better idea what kind of gun works for you.

I know some grown man may reject this and call it silly. But airsoft guns are also a very good for practicing. They are cheap like less than 1/10 of the real gun price but they can give you a good idea of how real ones are like in practical situation. However some cities like Milpitas where I live ban all airsoft activity except in range(actually all projectile launcher like sling shot)...
Old 01-20-2017, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip99 View Post
One piece of advise no matter what you get, don 't get the cheapest. I did, and I regret it. My SD40VE, while it works, has had to be repaired twice. I wish I had spent an extra 100 or so.
I second what Skip99 said. You will definitely get what you pay for.

If you simply want something for home defense with the very rare range trip then go ahead and get something inexpensive.

However, if you plan on making being more involved in the hobby I definitely recommend that you save up a little more to get something of higher quality. You'll end up saving more money in the end this route since you'll be requiring less repairs.

Did you have any platforms/models in mind already?

Regardless of what you get welcome to the hobby. And prepare to start shelling out some cash!!