Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2018, 4:59 PM
Dubtak Dubtak is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default RX17 with Rex Reviews

Hey guys, I don’t know if you heard. Rex of Rex Reviews (youtube channels with hundreds of videos on long range shooting) started offering training with an in room class and live fire training classes last year. I went to both and I tell you I was making that steel plate ring at 1,100 yards. We learned about cartridge and equipment selection saving me lots of money on mistake buys. By the time I was done with the live fire class, I took home a dope chart customized to my rifle and cartridge.

Rex just started offering a DMR class and ELR class. I just wanted to share!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2018, 5:02 PM
The 4th born The 4th born is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South San Francisco
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Interesting, and where are the classes being held?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2018, 6:04 PM
Big4x42u Big4x42u is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: N. Santa Barbara county
Posts: 19
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have attended the classroom portion of the RX series which is a prerequisite for the live Fire event that will be held in California on St. Patrick's Day weekend. Some really good information was learned and some techniques were shown that has already made me a better shooter. Plus there were some different higher end optics to look through at my class. Highly recommended from myself as well! For more information go to https://www.rexdefense.com/book-online
Check out his YouTube Sniper 101 series to get a feel of his massive amount of knowledge!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2018, 7:53 PM
Dubtak Dubtak is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I took the first in class course in Dallas. Look on his website https://www.rexreviews.org/

He had some in California too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2018, 4:55 AM
kcstott's Avatar
kcstott kcstott is offline
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: National City Socal
Posts: 9,678
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtak View Post
Hey guys, I don’t know if you heard. Rex of Rex Reviews (youtube channels with hundreds of videos on long range shooting) started offering training with an in room class and live fire training classes last year. I went to both and I tell you I was making that steel plate ring at 1,100 yards. We learned about cartridge and equipment selection saving me lots of money on mistake buys. By the time I was done with the live fire class, I took home a dope chart customized to my rifle and cartridge.

Rex just started offering a DMR class and ELR class. I just wanted to share!
I have respect for rex but when he endorses a guy like James Yager and has him as a paid speaker at his event, No thanks. it's all about money then ain't it??
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2018, 3:40 PM
Lucky Scott's Avatar
Lucky Scott Lucky Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 2,376
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

I have a lot of respect for Rex and his shooting knowledge. When the classes were offered in California I was interested. But the class description was not clear on if there was actually shooting involved, since it was located in a classroom not a range, and the price was kinda spendy.

Maybe its my fault for not understanding the advertisement better.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2018, 5:38 AM
kcstott's Avatar
kcstott kcstott is offline
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: National City Socal
Posts: 9,678
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
I have a lot of respect for Rex and his shooting knowledge. When the classes were offered in California I was interested. But the class description was not clear on if there was actually shooting involved, since it was located in a classroom not a range, and the price was kinda spendy.

Maybe its my fault for not understanding the advertisement better.
He was setting up a two part class, you had to attend one of is classroom lectures first, then you could fly out to Texas for the shooting portion but thats also an additional fee. the reason be hind this was to have everyone at the same pace and no one person having issues understanding how to use their equipment or how to apply a ballistic solution to the scope would hold up the class.

Classes were very spendy $600 for a two day zero time on the rifle course.

I just got back from a two course helping a guy and all he did was feed me carna asada and beer. once i trued up his ballistics app to real world data i had him making hits on a 6" plate at 800 meters and I mean hit(s) plural as in three consecutive before he started to get excited and flub shots. then he got back in the groove and knocked the plate off the stand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2018, 2:11 PM
Lucky Scott's Avatar
Lucky Scott Lucky Scott is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 2,376
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, $600.00 for no shooting was just a bit too much for me. Then going to Texas to shoot was a deal breaker.
Too bad, I might have paid the $600.00 if the two day seminal included shooting.
Its still a lot of money, and it depends on how much time you spend with Rex, but I would give it a try.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2018, 9:29 AM
kcstott's Avatar
kcstott kcstott is offline
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: National City Socal
Posts: 9,678
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, $600.00 for no shooting was just a bit too much for me. Then going to Texas to shoot was a deal breaker.
Too bad, I might have paid the $600.00 if the two day seminal included shooting.
Its still a lot of money, and it depends on how much time you spend with Rex, but I would give it a try.
One day I'm going to offer a two day class for long range. Problem is it's going to be in the desert, some 150 from San Diego, I need permits from the BLM and insurance and a EMT/PM on staff to pull it off. so down the road a ways for sure.

Here's what I've put together so far.
Long range precision rifle class
2 day class
Scores based on .308 rifle.
Higher ballistic capability rifles must score at least 10% higher than scores listed below

Day one

1. Equipment list.
2. Zero rifles, build proper positions, monitor recoil control, review student accuracy. Score must be better than 70% hits on 1 moa dot @ 100 y/m. If students pass 100 yard qual, move to 300 meters
3. Ballistic computer/app review. Data collection and correction. Chrono every load, every rifle.
4. Ballistic app truing, only using Applied Ballistics app.Velocity correction via apps truing feature will not be used. We will use drops, velocity, and altitude density to correct BC to produce correct BC number to get drops to +/- 1/10 mil, 1/4 MOA click of true impact
This is the app I know and use, other apps work but this is the one i can navigate in.
5. Wind reading overview. What the flags represent, how that correlates to the flight path and what that looks like with no flags to reference i.e. natural vegetation, natural sign and mirage reading. Flags are used to produce a consistent reference to wind speed.

Day two. Score listed are goals for seasoned shooters not requirements for class, Ring Diameters are NRA F class targets of 1 MOA ring size steps.

1. 300 meter target 19.7” (1/2 meter) plate with 6” flipper, equal to a 9 ring shot. Should score 80% hits on 6” flipper
2. 600 meter. Target same as above. Equal to 10 ring, should score 70% hits on 6” flipper.
3. 1000 meter 40” target. 10” and 5” flippers. Equal to 10 and X ring. Should score 50% or better on 10” flipper
4. 1250 meters. Full size silhouette. 308 ballistic limit. Should score 50% hits or better
5. 1500 meter. Full size silhouette. 6.5 CM ballistic limit. Should score 50% hits or better


It's a work in progress.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:38 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.