Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-23-2018, 9:38 AM

Default Affordable shotgun ammo in San Fernando Valley

Hi everyone! I’m fairly new to the clay shooting scene in the San Fernando Valley, and am looking for the most affordable ammo rates in the San Fernando/ Los Angeles area. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

Do you have a wal-mart by you that sells ammo? If yes, it's a good start. They have the Federal "Field & Target loads for 12 and 20ga [100 count] for about $22.00. Don't bother with the Win "Universal" loads. There's been issues with those.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For years, the Turners in Reseda (I think it is a city of Los Angeles thing) has to log all ammo sales in a notebook, including your DL info and a thumbprint.

The Walmarts in the valley that I know (West Hills & Porter Ranch) do not sell ammo. I think it's because they don't want to keep the log. You have to go to a Walmart in Simi Valley, Santa Clarita or Burbank.
Old 09-23-2018, 3:33 PM

Thank you! I'll check those locations out!
Old 09-23-2018, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

As a general rule, if you are in an area that is covered by LAPD ammo sales must be logged, Walmart doesn't sell it. If you go to an area covered by LASD, Walmart will sell it, no logging of anything.
Old 09-23-2018, 5:48 PM

If you are going to shoot a lot and don't want to reload, best bet is to go online. But then you have to find an FFL or licensed ammo dealer to receive it and do the transfer to you. This state is really screwed up.
Old 09-23-2018, 6:04 PM

Enjoy the drive to the Oxnard Walmart on Rose. Lower Sales tax, Turners in the same location, and if your a Member Sam's Club(same location)and Costco on the other side of the Freeway.
Old 09-23-2018, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No walmart in los angeles sells ammo.
Old 09-23-2018, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
No walmart in los angeles sells ammo.
Walmart's in LA county do. Santa Clarita, Palmdale, Lancaster etc...
Old 09-24-2018, 5:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did not say county. Those that live here know when we say los angeles we mean city (LOL) Santa Clarita Stevenson Ranch walmart is closest to sfv with ammo.

Last edited by edgerly779; 09-24-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Old 09-24-2018, 7:18 AM

LAX ammo down by the airport. You can go in person or just have them send it to a Burbank or Simi Valley dealer (Fort Courage) to avoid the LA city hassle. That or make the pilgrimage to the Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 09-24-2018, 8:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos2203 View Post
LAX ammo down by the airport. You can go in person or just have them send it to a Burbank or Simi Valley dealer (Fort Courage) to avoid the LA city hassle. That or make the pilgrimage to the Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga.

You won't save any money by paying LAX Ammo for shipping and paying Fort Courage the handling fee (they charge a $10 fee for up to 1000 rounds).
In fact if you were going to Fort Courage, you may as well drive to the Walmart it's only a few miles from Fort Courage, it will be cheaper.

You're not gonna save any money by driving to Bass Pro. It's probably at least a 2 hour (drive time & gas money) round trip and their prices on ammo aren't that great.

I only go to Bass Pro when I am already going to be out in that area.

If you are looking for AA or Remington shells, I think you are more likely to find them at the Santa Clarita WM at 27931 Kelly Johnson Pkwy. It's also on the way to A Place To Shoot. Otherwise most WMs that sell ammo have the Federal bulk packs.

All of that being said, I will be having some specialty loads (that can only be found at Able Ammo) shipped to Fort courage.
Old 09-24-2018, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
You won't save any money by paying LAX Ammo for shipping and paying Fort Courage the handling fee (they charge a $10 fee for up to 1000 rounds).
In fact if you were going to Fort Courage, you may as well drive to the Walmart it's only a few miles from Fort Courage, it will be cheaper.

You're not gonna save any money by driving to Bass Pro. It's probably at least a 2 hour (drive time & gas money) round trip and their prices on ammo aren't that great.

I only go to Bass Pro when I am already going to be out in that area.

If you are looking for AA or Remington shells, I think you are more likely to find them at the Santa Clarita WM at 27931 Kelly Johnson Pkwy. It's also on the way to A Place To Shoot. Otherwise most WMs that sell ammo have the Federal bulk packs.

All of that being said, I will be having some specialty loads (that can only be found at Able Ammo) shipped to Fort courage.
With a discount code you can save the equivalent of the shipping cost at LAX. I live about 5 minutes from Fort Courage so their rate is more than worth it (to me) to save the hassle of dealing with Walmart and their lack of customer service. I also only buy Winchester Xpert fast steel #6 for hunting/target, which LAX happens to carry. I also used to live in Van Nuys, and give me the 118 over the 5 any day.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Walmart in Burbank sells ammo, I get my 12ga there all the time. They do have days and times they do not sell ammo, due to staff has to have a COE. Also, Burbank is not LAPD, it is an incorporated city with it's own department. That means no log book, which is silly.
You will have to pay for ammo at the ammo counter and show an ID, I usually place the receipt in one of the boxes so if they ask, it is right there. But no one has ever asked to see my receipt.

Last edited by vino68; 09-24-2018 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Forgot to inform...
Old 09-24-2018, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No way I would have ammo shipped then go pays fees and sales tax and drive farther than I have to. Makes no sense. Ammo must go ups ground fr0m lax to simi . Why?
Also thanatos why shoot steel for targets if you do not have to. expense, harder on barrel. By the way thanos 24 miles van nuys to ft courage and 14 miles to walmart stevenson ranch. Oak tree is on the way to stevenson ranch so buy ammo and practice in same trip.

Last edited by edgerly779; 09-24-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
No way I would have ammo shipped then go pays fees and sales tax and drive farther than I have to. Makes no sense.
Then don't.

Quote:
Ammo must go ups ground fr0m lax to simi . Why?
Because of the weight/bulk/cost ratio.

Quote:
Also thanatos why shoot steel for targets if you do not have to. expense, harder on barrel.
I clearly stated that I hunt.

Quote:
By the way thanos 24 miles van nuys to ft courage and 14 miles to walmart stevenson ranch. Oak tree is on the way to stevenson ranch so buy ammo and practice in same trip.
Then do that.
Old 09-24-2018, 5:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos2203 View Post
With a discount code you can save the equivalent of the shipping cost at LAX. I live about 5 minutes from Fort Courage so their rate is more than worth it (to me) to save the hassle of dealing with Walmart and their lack of customer service. I also only buy Winchester Xpert fast steel #6 for hunting/target, which LAX happens to carry. I also used to live in Van Nuys, and give me the 118 over the 5 any day.
Where do you get the discount code? How often are they available?
Old 09-24-2018, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did not say county. Those that live here know when we say los angeles we mean city (LOL) Santa Clarita Stevenson Ranch walmart is closest to sfv with ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
As a general rule, if you are in an area that is covered by LAPD ammo sales must be logged, Walmart doesn't sell it. If you go to an area covered by LASD, Walmart will sell it, no logging of anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh383 View Post
Walmart's in LA county do. Santa Clarita, Palmdale, Lancaster etc...
Born and raised in the SFV, moved to the northern part of the county 10 years ago. When I lived there LA meant over the hill to the south to the city of LA, we always referred to the SFV as "the valley". Either way, I'd rather drive 15 miles north for ammo than drive to LAX or pay extra fees to have it shipped to a local FFL.
Better yet, but the equipment and roll your own
Old 09-24-2018, 9:03 PM

LAX is my local range so I'm there often, so it's my go to for ammo. Generally cheaper than most places.

Just as a heads up, their next parking lot sale is in about a month.
Old 09-25-2018, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Where do you get the discount code? How often are they available?
LAX does deals with youtube crowd. I don't watch the Military Arms Channel, but the code "MAC" will get your 3% off and doesn't expire. I am sure if you search around you could find similar options.
Old 09-25-2018, 2:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^3% on a $58 case of shotgun shells is $1.74. No way is that going to even be close to what they charge for shipping.

The facts you provide don't support you claims. You allude to other deals, but provide no detailed information.

Not sure your post really helped anybody.
Old 09-25-2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
^3% on a $58 case of shotgun shells is $1.74. No way is that going to even be close to what they charge for shipping.

The facts you provide don't support you claims. You allude to other deals, but provide no detailed information.

Not sure your post really helped anybody.
You mean it didn't help you? I really don't care.

Old 09-25-2018, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No, you did not help the OP, who was asking about shotgun shells.

As you can see in the pictured quote, the 3% ($1.74) does not come close to the shipping of $13.68 for a case of shotgun shells. It only gets worse if you buy more.

Attachment 741720

Last edited by BOBGBA; 12-28-2018 at 6:28 AM..
Old 09-25-2018, 3:58 PM

Relax everybody....OP, the answer is Walmart for cheap sporting clays shells.
Old 09-25-2018, 5:15 PM