Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-29-2012, 8:43 PM

Default Mike Seeklander's Shooting Performance Books & DVDs

Has anyone tried Mike Seeklander's Shooting Performance Books & DVDs?

Also, on another forum I found out about the new Shooting Performance Handgun Skills Test he released a few weeks ago with no maximum score.

Old 11-29-2012, 8:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Hey man, I haven't read his book but have used parts of his PDF for my training regimen. That dude can write and shoot extremely well. IMO, if that Top Shot thing hadn't happened, he'd be a much bigger name.

http://shooting-performance.com/doc/...ingProgram.pdf
Old 11-29-2012, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Hey man, I haven't read his book but have used parts of his PDF for my training regimen. That dude can write and shoot extremely well. IMO, if that Top Shot thing hadn't happened, he'd be a much bigger name.

http://shooting-performance.com/doc/...ingProgram.pdf
Thanks for that other link.

Not familiar with the Top Shot thing story?
Old 11-29-2012, 9:04 PM
Banned

He was the first one eliminated
Old 11-29-2012, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincus View Post
First season, first eliminated? That has to hurt. Have not watched the show. Not into these staged reality shows.
Old 11-29-2012, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincus View Post
If I recall correctly, he lost pretty badly in the elimination challenge. Dude is probably an amazing pistol shooter, but on that particular day, sucked at shooting rifles.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzar View Post
First season, first eliminated? That has to hurt. Have not watched the show. Not into these staged reality shows.
There's quite a bit written up about it so if you just hit your google up a bit, you'll find it. No need to rehash it here. Some really sad stuff happened at USSA after that. Talk about a rough patch!
I gained a lot of respect for him bouncing back from something like that.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yeah, but the drama was fun to watch.

Basically, he got his butt kicked by a 'kid' that Seeklander didn't seem to have much respect for.

http://www.history.com/shows/top-sho...ikes-last-shot

-- Michael
Old 11-30-2012, 3:04 PM

Quote:
I have one. One of the best system i've read and used. Definitely worth the money.
Old 11-30-2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrxist View Post
I have one. One of the best system i've read and used. Definitely worth the money.
Thanks. Just the book(s) or both the book(s) and DVD(s)?
Old 11-30-2012, 3:53 PM

I've seen Mike on the Best Defense TV show and he seems to really know his stuff, both shooting and defensive tactics wise.

After seeing your post I starting checking out his website and noticed he's teaching some classes up in Sacto out at Sac Valley in March or April I believe. His Def. Pistol and Comp. Pistol courses. Unfortunetly it looks like the Def Pistol is sold out and the Comp. Pistol course requires one to be classified in either USPSA or IDPA, which I am currently not having just started.

Also looks like part of the Comp. Pistol course shoots the match that Sac Valley is having on Sunday as part of the class and I assume (maybe wrongly) you'd be squadded with Mike since it is part of the course. Pretty cool if so.

Going to look into his books and DVD's.
Old 11-30-2012, 5:24 PM
Banned

I dont mean to offend but I have to ask. Do you just research the word "trainers" and then buy what ever comes up? Seriously I have no idea how you can buy all these vids and take all these classes. I guess if you have the time and money that is great but more importantly why arent you in competition if you are this involved?

I just cant wrap my mind around how you do this. It would be like stopping at every restaurant as you are driving just to try what they have. But doing this every week and every day. Of all the people who take training you have to be the only one I know who writes about every one there is and has taken the class. I would love to see how it has paid off for you and see you shoot some time. Do you ever video yourself for feedback?

Last edited by whitey4311; 11-30-2012 at 5:26 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey4311 View Post
I dont mean to offend but I have to ask. Do you just research the word "trainers" and then buy what ever comes up? Seriously I have no idea how you can buy all these vids and take all these classes. I guess if you have the time and money that is great but more importantly why arent you in competition if you are this involved?

I just cant wrap my mind around how you do this. It would be like stopping at every restaurant as you are driving just to try what they have. But doing this every week and every day. Of all the people who take training you have to be the only one I know who writes about every one there is and has taken the class. I would love to see how it has paid off for you and see you shoot some time. Do you ever video yourself for feedback?
I just buy the videos, books and classes but don't shoot at all just watch and read.
Old 12-01-2012, 4:33 AM
Banned

Come one man you know thats not what I meant. You clearly have taken this to another level and I want to know what you have taken from it. I just cant comprehend how you can possibly process all the info you have been exposed to.

Would you ever be willing to come shoot with us? You are close to both Prado and and Norco. I dont shoot IDPA but I would be willing to stick it out with you for a IDPA match so that way its level playing grounds. It would be some what new for me having only ever shot 1.5 matches of IDPA. The last prado one I couldnt take it any more and left, lol.

If anyone has something to show me that I am missing out on another side of things its going to be you. Nobody I know has had that much training. I seriously would love to pick your brain for a day and we can have fun shooting also.
Old 12-01-2012, 4:34 AM
Banned

stupid acct acting up ...........................
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Whitey why do you want everyone else who has an interest in training to convince YOU that there is merit to it?
Why can you not just accept persons enjoy taking courses. Why does their desire to do so have to make sense to you?

It seems you lack much more confidence in your abilities then you may show. Why do you need soooo much validation that what you are doing with shooting is the best use of your time?

Your posting of your videos shooting seem much more in an effort to be validated. "Hey look at him, he is good!" Than any effort to do much else. But you use the other reasons to mask what you really are looking for..... Validation.

Since you see no interest in formal training taught by a professional, you only can think from the context of competition.
Why not just allow others here to pursue what they see as valued time spent with firearms. Just like we all let you go about enjoy your interests.

Ram has ALWAYS seemed as having nothing to prove to anyone else.
Brian seems he ALWAYS has something to prove.

Is Rams sense of quiet confidence a product of excellent training?...................Maybe there is something more lacking in competition only pursuits that affects some more than others..........

Brian stop trying to take the easy way out and have others convince you what they know you are missing............... Pull up your man pants and research getting some of that elusive training.
Old 12-01-2012, 4:18 PM
Banned

I want to see what that much training yields in results. If you take offense to that its fine I have no issue with it. I figure the best guy to consult is the one who has clearly taken 10x more classes then anyone here combined. If someone is going to know the best place to start with training its going to be him. Of all you guys I would expect the best shooter to be the person with the most training and practice. Nothing wrong with asking and to be fair about it Ramzar has talked about IDPA and I have only shot .5 a real match and 1 wannabe match. I figured it would be a perfect place to go shoot and see what the real deal is. At the end of the day we are all shooters but it seems we value different methods on how to get there. I think my way is the right way and you guys think yours is. So instead of typing and talking about it lets go out and shoot.

Just like the person who got me into competition shooting has done it 40 years. No better person to consult then someone with experience and exposure like that. It has moved me along much faster then had I just stumbled on my own feet learning from mistakes.

PS yes taking vids is to look back and "say he is good". I look at my very 1st vid and I look at the one taken today 3 years later. There is a major improvement and thus the reason vids are taken. Why not post the vids and show others what its all about. I dont see hardly any vids of you guys doing your magic and its suspicious to me.

Last edited by whitey4311; 12-02-2012 at 6:47 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Just the book(s) or both the book(s) and DVD(s)?
I have the book and the DVD. Based from what I have read on this thread and it looks like i may be missing the whole story, without actually shooting USPSA (and the book you asked in question is heavily based on USPSA, some IDPA but not much), you may not benefit a lot.

It depends on what is your goal in shooting. Again, the book you asked is geared towards a shooting game, USPSA.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have read the books, and I have taken his class. He is quite excellent as a teacher and as a trainer. Probably the best of the competitor/trainers that I've come across. I still use his drills and his approach, and they've worked for me.

Now, I bought the books after taking his class, which is possibly backwards, but they do remind me of what I was supposed to be practicing.

His videos are probably pretty good, too, I'm guessing.