Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Shipping Ammo To Los Angeles

I've searched the forum but couldn't find any relevant threads. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Does anyone knows, with certainty, if it is legal or not to ship ammunition to the city of Los Angeles? LA has a law where sellers must document the sale with fingerprints, ID checks, etc. But is this a restriction on just the seller for in-person sales? What about online orders? Is this burden placed on the seller or is the buyer under some kind of liability as well?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 AM

I've seen at least a couple sites state that if you live in LA city, they'll only ship to a FFL dealer, LA County is still fine though.

Jgsales is one of the sites.
Old 11-14-2011, 1:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah I've seen that too, many online stores do not ship to the city of LA. I think Midway USA does though. I just want to know if the places that don't ship to LA are being overly cautious, which I understand since it's their livelihood. Or is it actually against some law for them to sell and ship to someone residing in the city of LA.
Old 11-14-2011, 6:53 AM
CGN Contributor

The law you are asking about is/was in the Los Angeles Municipal Code. I have no idea if it was repealed or not.

When I lived in No.Hollywood I just had my ammo shipped to a friends house outside of L.A. City.

Here I am.
Old 11-14-2011, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Just put down the nieghborhood you live in instead of LA city. For instance, my address is "San Pedro, CA" even though there is no city of San Pedro, it's LA city. Same with Hollywood, Van Nuys, Studio City, Willmington, Harbor City, Venice and on and on.

Some places go buy zip code from what I understand (Cheaper than Dirt? not that it matters as I boycott them anyway, same with sportsman guide), but I have never had a problem with any of the major retailers. I consider it a duty to ignore "show peice" laws like the LA city mail order ammo ban (there actually isnt a ban against mail order, just a requirement to get a thumbprint and DL#) similar to SF's ban on hollow points or berkely's ban on nuclear weapons.... All these ordinances are pre-empted by state law, are illegal, and un-enforcable. If you feel more comfortable, send it to a friends house over the wire.

and North Hollywood is absolutly part of LA city. It was annexed in 1919.

Last edited by SanPedroShooter; 11-14-2011 at 8:00 AM..
Old 11-14-2011, 9:22 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpowder Bob View Post
+1. N. Hollywood is L. A. county, not L.A. city. How about Glendale Gun Show Nov 19-20? OK prices at the shows.
No. Hollywood is L.A. City. But as SanPedroShooter has advised. Sometimes you can fool the seller.

Here I am.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If your office address (or maybe a friend's address) is out of LA City, have it shipped there.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah, if you write North Hollywood most places will ship, they just don't when it says "Los Angeles." I get it. I was just wondering if the law really touches mail orders or the online retailers are just overly cautious. Also if this law does actually affect mail orders, would be curious to know if this law puts the burden on the buy, seller, or both to do the print, ID check, etc.