Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Post Napa

UPDATE (2015 April 07):

Only info. re. CCWs on Napa County Sheriff's Department website is found here:
http://www.countyofnapa.org/Pages/De...?id=4294969395

Records

The Sheriffs Records is located at 1535 Airport Blvd., Napa, CA 94558, on the second floor. This section is responsible for

* document storage, retrieval, and management
* managing all official sheriff's reports, records, and statistical information
* housing all booking records and arrest warrants

The section is staffed by legal clerks, who keep it operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Records section is open to the public Monday through Friday 8am – 5pm to assist the public with Livescan and ink fingerprinting, records requests pursuant to the Public Records Act, vehicle storage or impound releases, Concealed Carry Weapon permit applications and renewals and various other services. You may call 707-253-4440 for inquiries and assistance.

Only info. re. CCWs on City of Napa Police Department website is found here:
http://www.napapolice.com/concealed-weapons-permit.html

Concealed Weapons Permit

For further information regarding the CCW process or application, contact Sgt. Mike Hensley by email: mhensley@cityofnapa.org or by phone at (707) 258-7885.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by Paladin; 08-15-2015 at 9:42 AM.. Reason: changing post icon to "thumbs up"
Old 10-28-2010, 12:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question if pd says no can one go to the area sheriff?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Default PD/Sheriff Responsibilities

Sheriff has responsibility for unincorporated county and cities that have given SO authority to issue permits, such as American Canyon, Yountville, etc. (Napa PD issues for City of Napa).
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM

For the record, I found the NPD to be quite accomodating during the process of aquiring my CCW.

Melior felicis quam bonus
Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

None of this matters. The sheriff MUST accept all applications from all county residents, regardless of one's residency in a city.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

If you get a rejection letter from a sheriff that says you must apply at the city first please forward those letters to Brandon or Gray.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-18-2010, 8:29 AM

Has anyone seen the fees lately at Napa PD? Holy cow, over $200 for a new license and over $100 for a renewal. I just sent an email to CGF.

Also, what about this interview at every renewal requirement?

When I did my renewal in July, LT Peecook actually told me that all police officers consider anyone with a firearm a criminal. Now, I know that isn't true, as I have several friends who are officers in many jurisdictions, including Napa...........But that's the mindset of the person we have to interview with!
Old 11-18-2010, 8:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epeescott View Post
Has anyone seen the fees lately at Napa PD? Holy cow, over $200 for a new license and over $100 for a renewal. I just sent an email to CGF.

Also, what about this interview at every renewal requirement?

When I did my renewal in July, LT Peecook actually told me that all police officers consider anyone with a firearm a criminal. Now, I know that isn't true, as I have several friends who are officers in many jurisdictions, including Napa...........But that's the mindset of the person we have to interview with!
Thanks for forwarding the fee schedule, as you can see from Sonoma the CGF guys take that seriously.

As for your renewal interview as long as they issue in accordance with the law and their GC policy then just gut it out and don't worry about the opinion of the interviewer. It is possibly a ruse to try and dissuade applicants. Once you are safe from retribution via revocation it might be worth while to file a complaint but for now it is probably better to work on getting into a position where you can defend yourself.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-18-2010, 7:45 PM

The Napa sheriffs CCW policy is littered with illegalities.
Old 11-20-2010, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So you would prefer that I start at the sheriffs office?
Old 11-20-2010, 8:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes, because the Sheriff must accept applications. PD's are not worth turning (chiefs are appointed, turn over fairly often, and are not compelled the same way Sheriffs are).

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM

Post Napa County CCW Issuance

Has anyone here been successful with being issued a CCW in Napa County recently? Been waiting for Calguns to release the 'just cause' statements since November 2010.
Old 01-24-2011, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLABruin View Post
The Napa sheriffs CCW policy is littered with illegalities.
What sort of illegalities can we expect to encounter when applying with the Napa Sheriff???
Old 04-11-2011, 2:36 PM

I live and work within the City of Napa limits - should I be applying with the Sheriff's Office, or Napa PD? (Has Napa PD deferred to SO?)
Thanks.
Old 04-16-2011, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertinted View Post
I live and work within the City of Napa limits - should I be applying with the Sheriff's Office, or Napa PD? (Has Napa PD deferred to SO?)
Thanks.
Look to posts 10 and 11.
Old 10-05-2011, 1:06 PM

Default Permit modification

So I just got my new pistol. I have never added a pistol to my permit. The Napa Co. sheriffs office was awesome. I simply went to the S.O., asked what do I do, filled out a bit of paperwork, paid my $10, new thumb prints on the new permit. In and out in less than 15 minutes. Just wanted to pass on a big thanks to Sheriff Koford and his staff for being very friendly, courteous and professional and making the process very straight forward. The young lady handling the modification was very friendly and helpful. Thanks again

I can confirm Napa CO allows at least 4 guns on the permit. The one I added was my fourth.

Buy more ammo and be ready when the impending zombie hoards attack!
Old 10-11-2011, 7:25 AM

Looking at going forward with an LTC application with Napa SO, what have they typically wanted in the way of a firearms coarse in the past and what fee's is NAPA S.O. requiring for the permit? I scanned through the application that is online but didn't see anything regarding fee's on it, so I may be blind or they didn't list them.

-California became a state, The people had no electricity, The state had no money, Almost everyone spoke Spanish, There were gunfights in the streets.
-So, basically, nothing has changed except the women had real breasts and the men didn't hold hands.

Last edited by brushfire21; 10-11-2011 at 7:27 AM..
Old 10-11-2011, 11:56 PM

I think it was 112$ for the app. But I don't remember if that included live scan cost. The folks at the counter at the S.O. Are very helpful and can answer all your questions. I know they accept R&D security where I did mine. And they accept Frazier Baptist at center mass. And the guys at the last gun shop in Napa. Give them a call to make sure as it has been almost two years since I got mine. If you have questions about good cause send me a PM. Also napa co requires a face to face interview with the undersherrif. I was a bit nervous doing mine but it really wasn't a big deal.

Old 02-04-2012, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Napa Sheriff's office will refuse to take your CCW application if you live within the Napa city limits. They want you to apply with the Napa PD. As of today the Napa PD still requires the use of Character reference letters, a specific shoot and a possible inspection of your firearm. I can email Napa PD packet. Purple K sent it to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My counsel is to not apply first to Napa PD and hang tight unless you have some prevailing circumstance that would make waiting a bad idea.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-05-2012, 4:56 AM

FYI, the Napa Sheriff announced his retirement. He will retire in April. http://napavalleyregister.com/news/l...871e3ce6c.html
Old 02-05-2012, 6:25 PM

I saw the retirement announcement hopefully the new Sherrif is pro LTC. Mine is up for renewal in march. I'll let every one know how it goes

Last edited by FishNFool; 02-05-2012 at 6:27 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 PM

Any information on your renewal FishNFool?

Anyone know the state of LTC changes in Napa?
Old 04-04-2012, 6:27 AM

I got mine renewed about two weeks ago. Looks like John Robertson the undersheriff will finish out Kofords term. No word on who is running yet.

Old 04-04-2012, 6:41 AM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

Crossing my fingers John Robertson runs for Sheriff. He's a really nice guy and gave me the sense that he would do what's right for the citizens of Napa county. He made me feel very comfortable when I had my interview with him last year.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Pm sent

Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Robertson is a great upstanding guy from what I gathered in the interview with him. Hopefully he stays in the Sheriff seat.
Old 10-06-2012, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I need to help a buddy obtain a LTC in American Canyon, a GC and tips are appreciated
Old 11-30-2012, 1:25 PM

CLB i had tried calling you several times. Send me a note to my email or call my cell if you still have it. The Napa co process is pretty straight forward and simple. I thought i sent you some GC examples, if not i can send again.

I also think Robertson is a good pick he seemed like a down to earth guy and the interview with him was pressure free. I think he would be a good Sherrif.

Last edited by FishNFool; 11-30-2012 at 1:29 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 8:25 AM

Hmmm. Maybe you need to check your lightbulb. (JK) I know I talked with you and sent you an e mail with details a long time ago. Sounds like you want someone to write the letter for you? I can send you the info again if you need it. Send note to my home e mail (Not PM) if you need info again. Napa county is really very simple and I have sent the same info to 3 others in the past months. All 3 have already got their LTC. Average time was 5-6 weeks. Maybe a backlog on background checks now with so many people panic buying guns these days. So not sure how long it will take now.

Old 08-21-2013, 7:47 AM

Does anyone have any good cause statements or have any advise for the city of napa?
Old 09-07-2013, 7:29 AM

Default Ltc/ccw in napa city

Hi all,
Does anyone have any specifics on application process for napa city? I'm ting to learn about the process before applying to have best chance of getting ccw.

PM me or text/call my cell if easier 303-916-six 624

Thanks for any help
Old 11-21-2013, 9:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If anyone wants to organize to get more CCWers in Napa, see:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=818852
Old 11-24-2013, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
If anyone wants to organize to get more CCWers in Napa, see:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=818852
Giving this a bump since Napa has issued a decent # of CCWs per post #28 at link above.

We need some folks from Napa (or who regularly drive thru Napa every few weeks), to step help out so that even more people who qualify apply for and get CCWs.
Old 01-07-2014, 6:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlinkerMan View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone have any specifics on application process for napa city? I'm ting to learn about the process before applying to have best chance of getting ccw.

PM me or text/call my cell if easier 303-916-six 624

Thanks for any help
See posts 10 & 11 in this thread.
Old 01-08-2014, 3:30 PM

Expecting to relocate to Napa/Sonoma area. Could reside in either county. Seeking advise on CCW application prospects and preferred location to be able to apply/receive issuance. No barring issues whatsoever.

tia

NRA Certified Pistol & Certified Rifle Instructor
CA DoJ Handgun Safety Certificate Certified Instructor
Utah Department of Public Safety Concealed Firearm Instructor
Old 01-10-2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Giving this a bump since Napa has issued a decent # of CCWs per post #28 at link above.

We need some folks from Napa (or who regularly drive thru Napa every few weeks), to step help out so that even more people who qualify apply for and get CCWs.

I've recently acquired a CCW in napa county (roughly three months ago) I applied through the sheriffs office, picked up a app and was given a appointment on spot for the following week. I meet with the sheriff and handed her my app directly, she was very nice and well mannered. After she looked over my application and a brief conversation I was approved. I took my 16 hour training course the following weekend. After my course I scheduled my live scan for a few days later and my permit was in the mail 30 days on the day.

The whole process took far less then what I've heard about in Sacramento county. I never really had to wait for appointments, I just called ahead for the most part.

Both the sheriff and the officers at the front desk were very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post
I've recently acquired a CCW in napa county (roughly three months ago) I applied through the sheriffs office, picked up a app and was given a appointment on spot for the following week. I meet with the sheriff and handed her my app directly, she was very nice and well mannered. After she looked over my application and a brief conversation I was approved. I took my 16 hour training course the following weekend. After my course I scheduled my live scan for a few days later and my permit was in the mail 30 days on the day.

The whole process took far less then what I've heard about in Sacramento county. I never really had to wait for appointments, I just called ahead for the most part.

Both the sheriff and the officers at the front desk were very nice.Tapatalk
That's great for you, but, roughly, w/o giving identifying info., what was your Good Cause? For most law-abiding CGNers, that's the CCW killer -- we don't have "drama" in our lives, but we want to be able to "keep & bear arms" to defend ourselves.
Old 01-13-2014, 7:43 AM

Quote:
That's great for you, but, roughly, w/o giving identifying info., what was your Good Cause? For most law-abiding CGNers, that's the CCW killer -- we don't have "drama" in our lives, but we want to be able to "keep & bear arms" to defend ourselves.
Sorry, I should have added that. I'm a contractor. I actually didn't fill it in and the sheriff asked I leave it open so in not sure how it was worded.

I essentially was concerned with carrying valuable tools and material around in the back of my truck. I also had a large amount of tools stolen from my property a few weeks prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2014, 7:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockedAndLoaded View Post

<snip>

Both the sheriff and the officers at the front desk were very nice.Tapatalk
Um, don't know who you met, gave your app to, and conversed with, but the sheriff is a guy....

http://www.countyofnapa.org/Sheriff/Administration/

Sheriff John R. Robertson