Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-15-2017, 7:43 AM

Default Prepping in…my journey to sheltering in place.

Having lived in So Cal my entire life I always had in the back on my mind that I should have portable power and supplies in case of another major earthquake. Yea sure, we bought extra canned goods and rotated through them on our shelves, and kept a case or two of bottled water for “emergency’s”

But that was all.

Having learned that some close friends and neighbors had gone quite a bit further in their personal “prepping” I got interested. When they told me that they would not share their goodies, I started to go hummm.

Besides that – they own guns and told me they would use them to defend their stuff.

Moving forward to today I have now gotten a start on my own “sheltering in place” supplies.

Power – Honda EU2000i. I figure I would not want a noisy and less expensive box store style generator to draw attention in case of need. I also have a small old Coleman 500 watt that was in my parent’s motor home that is surprisingly quiet to run lights (most in my house are LED and draw low wattage) and take some of the load off the Honda. Both generators have been broken in and now are completely drained of fuel and “winterized” for long term storage.

Fuel – two Wavian 5-gallon jerry cans and one “2.5 gallon No Spill” plastic can. I plan on rotating the fuel in the jerry cans yearly and use the 2.5 for my lawn mower/refill as necessary. Emergency plan is using that small can to feed the generator and topping it off from the Jerry cans. Might get two more Wavian cans.

Water – 3 x 5-gallon Scepter water cans, the afore mentioned couple of cases of water and I plan on using the 40 gallons from my water heater and the 55-gallon rain barrel (kept full) for brown water usage (washing, toilet flushing, pets)

My household cooking stuff is all electric so I have my BBQ and a single propane burner for outside cooking. Have two, and would like to add two more propane bottles.

Food – 4 people in my house at this time and this is where I am really lacking and the next step in my plans. We have a few days’ worth of canned and dry goods and whatever is frozen (as long as fuel lasts to run the Honda and refrigerator) I am thinking seriously about at least 2 to 4 of the Augason Farms Emergency Food Supply 30-Day Pails sold at Sam’s club. Just need to find someone with a membership I can use.

Protection. Guns are icky and scary so I will have to count on my good nature to convince people to leave us alone. IF I ever got over my repugnance of firearms I would most likely keep a couple of full sized Glocks with TLR-1 hl lights in a bedside storage such as a sentry safe touchpad style container.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The water from your water heater.. unless it's very new, will be crappy to drink.. you really need more water.. You also need several ways to filter and clean water.

remember..

3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

60 gallons of water isn't going to carry 4 people very far. Especially since water is needed to prepare many long-storage type foods.

As for food, get some big 6 gallon buckets and gamma lids.. fill with a mix of bean, rice, and dried goods like that (lentils, etc).. while not exciting far beans and rice will keep you alive for a LONG time. They are also cheap to buy in bulk.

Traffic here is a nightmare even on a good day, so we have no illusions to evacuating unless there are zero other options. So, like you we prep to shelter in place.

We have large tents and camping supplies kept outside the house for shelter incase our house is damaged in an earthquake, etc.. We have over 500 gallons of water (large 320 gallon tank and smaller storage all the way down to 5-gallon portable jugs). There's another 1,600 gallons in a spa for hygiene and flushing (if that still works).

I'm adding more food, but we have maybe 6 months worth.. maybe. People typically underestimate how much food they need and overestimate how long what they have will last.

Also, don't forget to store food for your pets

We hate guns so we will use sharp and stinging words to repel bad guys.. lol
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 12-15-2017, 8:31 AM

You'll come through the next disaster in much better shape than most. Good for you for taking the time to think about your needs and then actually do something about it. I worry a little bit about the attitude of a few who plan to keep it all to themselves and not share anything with anyone.

I plan on being as charitable as I can to my fellow man. That does not mean my diner table is open to all comers but I will definitely help others even if it is just helping them find a solution to their problem by pointing out how to get drinking water from a hot water heater or how to build a simple shelter if that's what they need.

I remember in one recent disaster with downed power grid where a homeowner ran an extension cord with power strip out to the sidewalk from his generator and put a sign out inviting anyone in need to come plug in their cell phone for charging. That may not work in all situations but the point is people still need to reach out to and help others. The recent "Cajun Navy" helping flood victims was another example of taking action to help others in need.

I think that as we make out own preparations, we should consider logical and practical ways to reach out to and help others through the disaster.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:47 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

2000 watt gen isn't much. I have the 3000 watt Honda. It can power the fridge, computers and maybe a microwave at the same time. That's it.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:16 AM

I like the ideas shared here. The event I worry about is an EMP attack taking down the grid. I am considering a diesel generator - no ignition to fail, and mechanical fuel injection (like my '86 Ford F-350).
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-15-2017, 11:20 AM

These are all helpful comments and I will consider them all.

Water - I know I need more, but crappy water from the water heater and rain barrel is better then none. Looking at getting a 55 gallon "blue" barrel for additional clean drinking water. Filtering stuff - yep, had not thought of that.

Good suggestions about dry food storage. Beans and Rice have keep people alive for a long time. Will looking into that. Great suggestion.

My 2000i generator. I would had liked a 3000i but not in the cards at this time. However I did test the 2000 on my refrigerator and it did not even go off Eco mode after start-up. I also have a waist high smaller fridge in my shop that
draws even less power. Not planning on powering my entire house with a bypass switch - this is only for necessaries.

And I kid about my friends and neighbors. We have always helped one another . Don't see that changing anytime soon.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why not a propane generator? Propane is easier to store and lasts much longer than gasoline....
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Appleseed Instructor
CGN Contributor

Sam's Club Guest membership:

http://help.samsclub.com/app/answers...est-membership

Screenshot_2017-12-15-11-39-19.jpg
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."- Patrick Henry
ActiveJunky sign-up referral link: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link:
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Why not a propane generator? Propane is easier to store and lasts much longer than gasoline....
I have gone back and forth on that and if funds were unlimited I would install a Hutch Mountain Tri fuel kit on my Honda. Seems to be the best available.

Once I get the basics set up I will revisit propane...

The other thing I have to consider is typical response time for State and Federal agencies to respond and how long I would expect to be on my own in a natural disaster i.e.earthquake here in Southern California. Would I like to have a years worth of food and supplies? Sure, but that is a topic for another day.

Last edited by swiftone; 12-15-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Propane is a more stable fuel for long term storage but diesel is not bad. I think 1-3 years is generally accepted as ok. BUT keep in mind propane has about 2/3 the energy per gallon. For generator use I have seen consumption stats showing twice the fuel consumption for similar propane vs diesel units.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 PM

I've been doing some basic prep lately also.

After some research, I decided against generators, both gas/propane, because they burn thru fuel too quickly. And living in a suburb, I've no place to really store decent quantities of fuel.

Instead I opted for a solar panel and battery storage solution from goal zero. I picked up a Yeti 1000 and a briefcase (folding) solar panel. I charged it to 100% and then tested it by plugging in my full-size garage fridge when I left for work at 8am one day. When I came home at 5pm, it had used only 30% of the battery. So coupled with the solar panel, it could conceivably run my fridge and some led lights in perpetuity. I also like that it is completely silent.

I plan on keeping the Yeti in a homemade faraday cage (cardboard lined metal trash can) and the solar panel in a faraday bag.

I also have the basics of 12 cases of costco water bottles, plus access to 2000 gallons of filtered water about 1 mile from home. I also have a pool which will handle bathing/flushing duties. Plus three 40lb bags of beans and lots of canned goods. Plus basic camping supplies. We also have a small garden in the yard.

And some sharp sticks to guard it all.
Old 12-15-2017, 1:02 PM

Don't feel the need to buy in bulk...

If you start with 10% of your current monthly food allocation budget diverted to prepping...you'll have a year of rationed goods in no time...buy beans, rice, canned goods

A few months later and you remove the word ration...

To make room for the 10%...eat a little more frugal for now...
You can return to steak next years football season

Get your 2-55gal blue containers now...even if you have to take $150 out of savings to get them...buy new...don't try to clean used ones for drinking...Amazon sellers have good pricing intermittently...Make sure it's drinking water rated

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make small sacrifices now to get what you need to get over the hump...then back off to maintain

Try ace hardware for a 37 gal faux terra cotta brown water storage barrel for $25 on sale...they are drinking water rated plastic, but the screw on lid is...not airtight...could use either way
image.jpg

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -

Last edited by ProtectThe2nd; 12-15-2017 at 1:17 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 1:59 PM

Look, I respect (but don't agree) your feelings about firearms...

But your words and charm won't mean diddly
and will have zero force against a thirsty/hungry individual

And unless you're in current MMA and or Krav Maga training...
Or have enough pistol training to put your shots on target
during heavy adrenaline laced fight or flight scenarios...

Forget the thoughts of glock pistols with TLR-1...and get you and your family a rifle you can ALL operate under duress...

You don't need an AR either...think about a lever action...they're short fast swinging in tight places, everyone can learn to use...and depending on your caliber of choice will hold LOTS of rounds

Then...after you and the family know how to use it...lock it up and tuck it away till the day of reckoning...

Because when YOU have...and THEY don't...they will be looking and WILL be able to tell...who has what they want
And don't think you can give them a can of tuna with a smile and trust that they WON'T be back...
They WILL return...for all of it

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." - The United States Supreme Court -

Last edited by ProtectThe2nd; 12-15-2017 at 2:35 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 2:23 PM

Good start, but I echo what some others have said about getting a firearm. Nothing wrong with a semi-auto rifle, just harder to safely store around kids (if that's a concern). Might I suggest just getting one Glock 17 and taking some practical pistol classes. It'll alleviate your firearm trepidation and get you more comfortable/effective using a firearm under stress should it be necessary. Getting a pistol and going to the range a few times isn't enough to be really proficient. It'd be better to gain that proficiency now when you don't need it, than need it and not have it.

If you don't have one already, a few high output flashlights are useful.

I assume you have a decent first-aid kit and some proficiency with treating minor injuries and stabilizing more major ones. Hospital access will be... difficult.

For food, you can get buckets of freeze dried Mountain House type meals from Costco/online/etc. These store for 20+ years. Might want to think about storing rice in large dry sealed containers. It last a long time and very cheap. You could also just buy mylar sealed rice already in 5-gal buckets from Costco.

Also good to have a good relationship with your neighborhood. If things got real bad for a long period of time, your neighbors and community are very important.
Old 12-15-2017, 2:31 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The water in your water heater will be fine for drinking and utility purposes. You should have lifestraws or similar personal filtration devices handy along with iodine.

Good general antibiotics and some opioid painkillers stored with a guide on dosage for particular needs. What the hell are you going to do if someone gets an abscess tooth or any injury/burn they might get infected after something like an earthquake? What if you break your ankle?

On top of that how about asking your doc to forward your prescriptions (if you have any) a month so you have a month reserve rather than living from prescription to prescription? Diabetic? Got insulin and fresh batteries for your blood monitor? Any medication you cannot go a month without needs to be addressed.

I think he's joking about the "icky" guns... And a Glock will do fine.
Old 12-15-2017, 2:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Go to the Walmart website. You can buy Augerson freeze dried. Prices not bad.
Subscribe to Major Surplus. They have sales now and then.

You also want to be able to chain your generator to something.
Old 12-15-2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtectThe2nd View Post

Forget the thoughts of glock pistols with TLR-1...and get you and your family a rifle you can ALL operate under duress...

You don't need an AR either...think about a lever action...they're short fast swinging in tight places, everyone can learn to use...and depending on your caliber of choice will hold LOTS of rounds

Then...after you and the family know how to use it...lock it up and tuck it away till the day of reckoning...

Because when YOU have...and THEY don't...they will be looking and WILL be able to tell...who has what they want
And don't think you can give them a can of tuna with a smile and trust that they WON'T be back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post
Good start, but I echo what some others have said about getting a firearm. Nothing wrong with a semi-auto rifle, just harder to safely store around kids (if that's a concern). Might I suggest just getting one Glock 17 and taking some practical pistol classes. It'll alleviate your firearm trepidation and get you more comfortable/effective using a firearm under stress should it be necessary. Getting a pistol and going to the range a few times isn't enough to be really proficient. It'd be better to gain that proficiency now when you don't need it, than need it and not have it.

I assume you have a decent first-aid kit and some proficiency with treating minor injuries and stabilizing more major ones. Hospital access will be... difficult.

For food, you can get buckets of freeze dried Mountain House type meals from Costco/online/etc. These store for 20+ years. Might want to think about storing rice in large dry sealed containers. It last a long time and very cheap. You could also just buy mylar sealed rice already in 5-gal buckets from Costco.

Also good to have a good relationship with your neighborhood. If things got real bad for a long period of time, your neighbors and community are very important.
Jokes.

I would imagine that every veteran poster on this board has guns; several I'm sure.
Old 12-15-2017, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Where do you guys store all this?! Also how long is the water good for in plastic bottles and drums? Thinking I am going to have to bury stuff in the yard..

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 12-15-2017, 4:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
I worry a little bit about the attitude of a few who plan to keep it all to themselves and not share anything with anyone.

Why?

I have food for a family of 4 that would last 4 weeks..

Do I share with the family next door who did nothing to prep and lower my preps to two weeks?

And they bring over the family of four next to them then what? Share and lower what I have to one week.. Where do I draw the line in my responsibility to MY family?

Now, if this is an earthquake deal and we will screwed for two weeks, then I would be happy to share within reason and those in need.. or trade out (water filter for toilet paper, etc).. maybe ask for a check to replace the used supplies at the end of the emergency.

But if this is a BIG problem that will last months then I will be doing very little charity with those that chose to not prepare. Barter yes, charity no.

I can't feed and take care of my whole neighborhood for very long.. and it's not my responsibility to do so.
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-15-2017, 4:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
Where do you guys store all this?! Also how long is the water good for in plastic bottles and drums? Thinking I am going to have to bury stuff in the yard..
All sorts of places.. the big 320 gallon water tank is on the side of the house.. the smaller 55 gallon ones are around, some in storage sheds, some on the other side.. one is under a camo net to stay shaded and still look ok.. lol

I don't like storing it all in one place in case of an earthquake and a partial collapse of the house. Same with food, most in garage, but some in my office closet.. some in the upstairs.. some in a work shed we have.

Old 12-15-2017, 5:11 PM

Also; try to fortify your house and/ or property as much as possible, make it difficult for someone to get to you; fences with sharp tops, thorny plants, burglar bars, whatever you can do to make the bad guy to go the next house.
Also, some of my Calguns brethren will disagree with this, but have some non-lethal defenses; baseball bats, electric shocker, pepper spray, whatever.
Imho when the shtf in SoCal, there will be widespread civil unrest, but the PD will still show up if you shoot someone in self defense, and you likely still will be carted away. Even if you're found innocent, the bad guys relatives might still successfully sue you. Better to make it difficult for the bad guys to get to you, and then be able to dissuade someone without killing them if possible, then shoot only as a last resort.
Old 12-15-2017, 5:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
All sorts of places.. the big 320 gallon water tank is on the side of the house.. the smaller 55 gallon ones are around, some in storage sheds, some on the other side.. one is under a camo net to stay shaded and still look ok.. lol

I don't like storing it all in one place in case of an earthquake and a partial collapse of the house. Same with food, most in garage, but some in my office closet.. some in the upstairs.. some in a work shed we have.
I store stuff all over also. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer with some supplies. Store more in two closets. More in the kitchen. Some in each bedroom with those under the bed storage. And
6 foot shelving in the garage with just emergency stuff. I just bought 6 stackable water containers for water. 7 gallons each. Major Surplus had a black Friday sale. They were 20% discount.
Each year just keep adding something to your supplies.
Old 12-15-2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
I worry a little bit about the attitude of a few who plan to keep it all to themselves and not share anything with anyone.
I remember in one recent disaster with downed power grid where a homeowner ran an extension cord with power strip out to the sidewalk from his generator and put a sign out inviting anyone in need to come plug in their cell phone for charging.
I just had this very conversation with my girlfriend. She is a very devout Christian, who feels that she has to help everyone. My words to her were that if she chooses to help, she should be very careful about who she helps, and how she helps them. Because word will get around, and she will end up with a line of people at her front door asking for help. If she tells them that she has no more, they may decide to come in and check it out themselves and take what they want, and she might get severely injured in the process. Unfortunately, with some religions, they tend to think that it is God's plan for them to die.
I was reading a thread re power outages on another forum and one member came in to tell of his experience. Power outage in his area. He went out to his trailer and fired up the generator to charge his phone, and while doing so allowed his neighbors to do the same. A fight broke out over the charging outlets, which turned into a small riot, and his trailer was destroyed.
Not one of his neighbors ever came up to him later to apologize or offer to pay for the damages.
Giving help may be a noble thought, but it is fraught with danger.
Old 12-15-2017, 7:03 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The fortification thought is something i have been thinking about.
Plywood sheet on some windows?
Securing garage doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post
Also; try to fortify your house and/ or property as much as possible, make it difficult for someone to get to you; fences with sharp tops, thorny plants, burglar bars, whatever you can do to make the bad guy to go the next house.
Also, some of my Calguns brethren will disagree with this, but have some non-lethal defenses; baseball bats, electric shocker, pepper spray, whatever.
Imho when the shtf in SoCal, there will be widespread civil unrest, but the PD will still show up if you shoot someone in self defense, and you likely still will be carted away. Even if you're found innocent, the bad guys relatives might still successfully sue you. Better to make it difficult for the bad guys to get to you, and then be able to dissuade someone without killing them if possible, then shoot only as a last resort.

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 12-15-2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
Cared for...water is indefinite...
I dont live in a house..I store sheet everywhere...

I raised my bed on cinder blocks (can you say Captains bed)
to make room for storage
Also store under the headboard

You get creative looking for "air spaces" and then you eliminate them...LOL

Seriously, I even have a 55 gal water drum on a home built pedestal/cupboard that supports the 500lbs tucked discreetly in a corner of my living room...
Looks like a piece of furniture

I down scaled my wardrobe...suddenly had 2 empty drawers in my dresser
Wife condensed also...had one empty drawer...in went our shoes
Now the previous shoe space contains...wait for it... ... ...yup, prep supplies

Edit : we don't consider our stash outrageous...but we figure if we ration...6 months for 2
As a BIG earthquake stash

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Last edited by ProtectThe2nd; 12-15-2017 at 7:20 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

First... lol... you missed the ironic nature of the gun comments... go back and re-read... op doesn't mean what is said and with a bit of thought you will realize what was meant... this is right up there with the "catastrophic boating accident".

Agree with you about the rifle, or a shotgun... at least one long-gun is a necessity IMHO. And yes every member of the household should be able to use it competently. I do like lever guns and own a few, but would notbemy choice for this household. My wife complains the lever hurts the back of her fingers... since it hurts, she won't train with it... and you don't plan to defend your family's lives with a gun you haven't trained with, and trained well. She has a 12 gauge Mossberg 590 with a special shortened stock that fits her reach, and she has taken training with it. It's a "bedside" gun. But she really loves her AR. So easy to use, so easy for her to get quick hits on target... pistol wse she has her own Springfield XD-9 and an EMP-9 (mini 1911) that she is a crack shot with... if I am ever being held hostage with a gun to my head, I want her to take the shot because she doesn't miss.

Regarding locking up a primary defensive weapon... need to practice a couple times a year to maintain skill & muscle memory. Shoot something legal, that yiu aren't afraid to be nailed with. Get a Mini-14 if the AR isn't your thing.

Op, good plan over all. Your fuel plan is a bit light... the xtra 2 cans are a must and another 4 highly recommended. Trust you have tested using all the appliances you NEED in an extended outage... you have enough cords and a way to route them. If you have a gas furnace with electric blower, make sure it works as planned. Do you have a way to secure the generator from theft during use? When using with my travel trailer I have a steel cable and hefty lock which I run through both right wheels and the generator.... secures trailer and generator. Generators are choice targets for theft during blackouts.

Dry run drills are important. Make sure things work the way you expect them to. We did a bug-in drill one spring a few years ago. As it was the rainy season part of the plan was to use rainwzter runoff from the rain gutters for flushing, dishes etc. What we didn't figure on was all the oak leaves on the roof and how much tanin the water would leach out on its way to the rain barrel. Water was brown like iced tea. Fortunately we had some swimming pool shock on hand and were able to sanitize/clarify the wzter in a couple hours. We still used our stored water for final rinse. Swimming pool shock is dificult to store since it emits vapors over time that will rust nearby steel and cause various sorts of corrosion on other metals like galvanized, brass, aluminum... nothing but glass is safe in a contained space with it. It also degrades slowly over time, probably 15-20% annually... liquid bleach is easier to manage but loses potency faster, 50% per 6 months... just about useless after 18 months. BTW as a result of our drill I tripled the size of our water storage. You don't rwalize how much we use daily for casual purposes like hand washing, dishes, etc. That "gallon per person per day" only applies to people sitting stranded in a lifeboat awaiting rescue. If you are actually working, and exercising first-world hygeine, you will need MUCH more than that, at least triple and 4x is not too much. If you disagree and live with a woman, turn off the main on the eve of a 3-day weekend, live on just what you thought you would need and see if you both aren't hating life by the morning of the 2nd day. Reminder women are succeptible to UTI without proper hygeine and that's a miserable scene for all concerned if you get my drift.

Headlamps! A must IMHO. try working on a generator or doing dishes with a flashlight... headlamp makes a huge difference.

Have some kind of battery bank and solar panel for minor electrical needs. Save generator for bigger needs... phone, laptop, radio etc can charge for free and you don't have to gas up a solar panel.

On the topic of "survival food"... some is good if you use your head and choose wisely. Make sure everyone who will have to eat it approves and can tolerate it. The "x-weeks survival food asdortment -guaranteed!" Packs or kits are dissappointing. They typically rate per day calorie count about 50% what a working adult needs... basically if you are cooped up in a fallout shelter sitting all day, you won't starve eating their "menu". But if you actually have to perform any respectable level of physical activity you will find the meal plan lacking, as in you may be uncomfortably or even dangerously underfed depending on circumstances. If you do decide to go with one of these, plan to double the actual calories through your own preps (beans, rice, etc that you stockpile independently from their plan). At least that way, if you are smart, you can pad their menu enough that you don't literally starve. I have found the dehydrated eggs a good buy. Also powdered milk. That covers a lot if you know how to mix it with other affordable storage food. For instance white rice stores exceptionally well at room temp in ziploc bags... have been doing this quite a while and still working through rice re-bagged in 2009... no one can tell it's not fresh from the supermarket. Steam a batch for breakfast (or better yet use leftover from previous night's dinner assuming refrigeration) and serve with cold milk and sugar... nutritionally it's equivalent to a bowl of Rice Krispies. Maybe not exactly what everyone is used to but that's why you do drills instead of just hope and expect. (Oatmeal is another great storage food.). That same rice, with some freeze-dried or canned peas & carrots and egg mixed in, and a bit of soy sauce... great fried rice. Very nutritious. But "survival" food aside, keep and rotate things you already like and use. Instant mashed potatoes, canned hash, canned chili, tuna, cooking oil, sugar, refried beans, black olives, corn, peas... soup... these all keep a long long time with normal interior storage conditions and you already know your family eats them right?

Red feather canned butter... yeah, expensive but if you get to pick one "luxury" prep food this should be it. My wife loves this stuff and if she had her way every day could be TEOTWAWKI as long as she gets to tap that Red Feather stash. "Yeah, I had to take on a gang of reavers and got chased by a mutant but at the end of the day I got a taste of that RF butter, makes a girl glad to be alive!" Some people don't like it because it is like butter on steroids... extra, extra buttery. Try some and see what the noise is about and if you like it, before buying cases of it.

The Meal in a bag -just add water... these are hit/miss depending on how forgiving your palate is. Some are quite good if done right. The most common complaint is texture. The real downside is cost. You can duplicate or surpass most of them if you know your way around a kitchen for half the price or less. Their big selling point is convenience.

Try to limit to a few key storage foods but know how to mix/match for a hundred different meals out of a dozen different ingredients. Appetite fatigue is a thing, and no "they'll eat if they're hungry" is not yhe route to go... won't go into it here/now but that's a great way to ruin prepping for the family... and doesn't work out in real life like you imagined it in your head. So you need to practice cooking with your preps. Stretch that can of chili by using it as a topping over rice or pasta, instead of heaping bowls full of that precious commodity that is delicious but you burn through it halfway through your calamity and have to serve plain beans and rice or just plain rice the second half... that gets old fast. Practice cooking with your preps and get the family acclimated to expecting the unexpected for dinner. We all knew that one kid who wouldn't eat anything but one thing or just a very short list... got locked onto a set menu early in life, never learned how to "acquire" a taste by having to eat unfamiliar things routinely... don't let your crew get "barn-sour" ( a term used to describe horses who are kept in the barn so much that they grow to resent being taken outside).

Do not attempt to store supermarket crackers... "saltines". I expected these to store well... but they do not. Even with re-packaging in vacuum-sealed mylar, something happend around the 5-6 month mark... they go bad... not sure if toxic but sure taste that way. More than 1 attempt, same result, heard same from other preppers... if you find a way to make it work you're better than me!

ETA: fuel storage... I have been doing this close to 10 years. Find a location away from the house or connected structure, preferably in perpetual shade. Create a platform a few inches off the ground... palate or concrete blocks with 2x4's across. Put your cans on this. Get a tarp of some kind. You wznt to protect your fuel from uv if plastic and from weather if anything. Leave the botom open for air circulation... ideally there should be zero vapors if cans seal perfectly but what in this world is perfect? We don't want vapors to build up as they might in a closed shed or storage box. Treat all fuel with Sta-Bil or Pri-G when filling the can. Fill the cans about 95% full. You need a small space for the fuel to expand/contract without bursting the can due to temp changes, but also need to minimize the amt of O2 in the can because it will oxidize the fuel gradually over time. Once per quarter swap out 25% of your fuel, by putting it in your vehicle and storing fresh with gas treatment. Move all yje old cans down 1 place, put the new can on the end. This way none of your stash is more than 1 year old, most less, and you aren't stuck with a huge outlay to refill them all at once. Tjis last may not sound like a big deal when you are talking about 4 cans but I have gradually worked up to 100 gallons and if I tried to refill them all in one go you can bet it would make a dent in the budget. IMHO if you aren't able to commit to quarterly rotation of some of your stash you should probably question if fuel storage is better than a 1-time investment in solar and batteries which will still have upkeep involved but much less frequently.

Last edited by bruss01; 12-15-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
First... lol... you missed the ironic nature of the gun comments... go back and re-read... op doesn't mean what is said and with a bit of thought you will realize what was meant... this is right up there with the "catastrophic boating accident.
LOL...ok my bad...just glanced at his iTRADER...enough said

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 12-15-2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_B View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Jokes.

I would imagine that every veteran poster on this board has guns; several I'm sure.
ya know it is possible to check posting history....
Old 12-15-2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
ya know it is possible to check posting history....
Meh...faster to look at your iTrader

ESCAPE IF YOU CAN

Old 12-15-2017, 8:10 PM

http://providentliving.com/preparedn...rage/foodcalc/

This is a good list that is workable. It will keep your loved ones fed and in good health. We use it as a guideline for our food stores. We have a clan and enough stored to last 3 years.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin r View Post
Funny you bring this up. I live at the end of a cul de sac that backs up to a large greenbelt with 4 foot tall boxwood plants on the other side.

I used to have problems with critters coming into my back yard and leaving smelly souvenirs. I got tired of that real quick, and when I raised my back and side walls I was able to mount tack strips (similar to what carpet installers use) and the pest problem went right away.

Same stuff on side fence and front locked gates. Any two legged visitor would be able to defeat that easily and that has given me concern on how to protect it. Concertina wire would be perfect, however I do not feel my association would approve it.

About storage. Right now I have everything stored on a shelf under my work table in a 12 x 20 foot "Tuff Shed" located 10 feet off my house. I also store my hand tools, reloading gear and misc crap in there that does not have a place in my garage.
Old 12-15-2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post

This is a good list that is workable. It will keep your loved ones fed and in good health. We use it as a guideline for our food stores. We have a clan and enough stored to last 3 years.
Ok - that is pretty cool.

If I have not said this - thank you to all that have offered suggestions. So much to learn from others and stuff I would had never thought of doing or storing.
Old 12-16-2017, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Reading beginning-to-prep posts always gets me thinking, esp in light of recent events. If the OPs scenario is to bug in post-earthquake, consider that after a large-scale disaster such as an earthquake, fires will be a very serious consideration.

You might not have water pressure in hoses to put out a fire....OK, if you're stuck in a city and committed to bug in, nothing much you can do about that besides prep your property with fire breaks if possible, but a prep you can make is to provide yourself with protection against dying from smoke inhalation. Stock up on N95 or P100 respirator masks to help protect you against the fine particles in smoke. Paper or surgical masks are not effective in preventing inhalation of smoke. The N95 / P100 masks still won't protect you against CO or other gasses from fires, but if you're that close you're probably going to die anyways, and at least if you're only getting smoked out for a few days you can survive that and hope the fires burn out before you run out of masks. They're inexpensive and don't take up significant space or weight.
Old 12-16-2017, 9:09 AM
CGSSA President

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post

Excellent information Thank you

Here to help

Pennys Dad

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 12-16-2017, 9:15 AM
CGSSA President

P100 - Disposable: 3M 8293 P100 Disposable Particulate Cup Respirator with Cool Flow Exhalation Valve, Standard
On Amazon
P100 - Reusable: 3M 6391 P100 Reusable Respirator Gas Mask
On Amazon
Just added some to the cart.

Here to help

Pennys Dad

Old 01-15-2018, 9:45 AM

I bought a Coleman dual fuel stove and lantern on eBay for $35 each in new condition, still in the box. I have other ways to cook and illuminate, but I am sure glad I have these
Old 01-15-2018, 1:34 PM

Funny this thread was resurrected.

I also just increased my outdoor cooking preps. Picked up an older Bayou Classic double propane burner and spare 5 gallon bottle from a guy moving out of the country. Cast iron has a little bit of surface rust, but nothing a hard cleaning won't take care of. Burners burn clean with a bright blue flame and no noise.

I am happy

Next step is a solar cell/battery pack charger. This is a request from my wife.

Looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBGSS2R...75F6V09O&psc=0

And this: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Char...9ZA6H0VW1163ZV

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...W?ref=ast_p_ep

The Anker is attractive because I can use two of the ports off the solar panel to do a faster charge.

Last edited by swiftone; 01-15-2018 at 1:43 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 8:50 PM
Citadel87 has been saved
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I went around and around on this before buying 2 Honda EU2000s. My thinking is for a short term Earthquake prep (say a week to a month), gas may be easier to come by than propane. Syphon from vehicles, lawnmowers, etc.

I seem to always run out of propane and trying to get more when electricity is down might be tougher.

Thoughts??
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream