Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-14-2017, 4:53 PM

Default ffL03 discounts from FFL01 Pistol Transfers

Quick question for folks that already have their COEs and FFL03s. When you transfer a pistol from out of state from either private party or FFL01 do you still pay the usual full FFL01 transfer amounts? Or do you get a discount cause you have your FFL03 and you just pay the state the transfer costs plus whatever taxes would have been accrued if you purchased a C&R pistol from an in state dealer...?

I am in the process of getting my FFL03 and COE...

I know that some of the benefits are being able to purchase more than 1 pistol per month...

Not sure about the 10 day wait, have read the 10 day wait becomes void but then I heard the 10 day wait is still in place regardless of COE and FF03....

I really want to understand fact from fiction, and the financial benefits if any to the COE + FF03 especially considering out of state C&R pistol transfers.

Thanks Ducky

Last edited by duckhunterflyfisher; 12-14-2017 at 4:56 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 4:59 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

You don't have a ten day wait if your FFL knows what they are doing, but I don't know of any FFL that discounts the transfer fee just because the buyer is 03 FFL. And you still have to pay tax + DROS.

When it comes to C&R handguns, there are no financial benefits if you ship them in. It is the exact same as if you did not have C&R + COE. The only benefit is skipping the ten day wait. The best way to get C&R handguns from out of state is to go get them personally, but that becomes a financial wash or even loss when travel is factored in, unless you bring back more than a few of them or you are there for other reasons besides getting a gun.

I always stop in a few spots whenever I am out of state for business or vacation, to see if any C&R handgun catches my eye.

The big benefit right now to C&R + COE is being able to import ammo. Getting guns is a side benefit.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 12-14-2017 at 5:05 PM..
Old 12-14-2017, 5:01 PM

Thank you skyhawk. I also heard that places like MidwayUSA will give FFL03s a 10% discount....which is great...I will take whatever I can get...
Old 12-14-2017, 5:07 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Yes some places give 03 discounts, like Brownells, Numrich & EMF. I don't think Midway gives C&R discounts but I could be missing out.

Old 12-14-2017, 6:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Yes some places give 03 discounts, like Brownells, Numrich & EMF. I don't think Midway gives C&R discounts but I could be missing out.
Yes Midway stopped there 03 FFL discounts sometime ago, Shop at Brownells!
Old 12-14-2017, 7:31 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunterflyfisher View Post
I am in the process of getting my FFL03 and COE...

I know that some of the benefits are being able to purchase more than 1 pistol per month...

Thanks Ducky
This only applies to C&R handguns. I know that the law just says handguns, but DOJ has determined (illegally) that it only applies to C&R's.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

"Our policy should not be informed by our collective outrage about one man's conduct." AG Kamala Harris referring to San Francisco's sanctuary policy and 7 time convicted felon and illegal alien Jose Ines Garcia Zarate .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9CA
...Nor may we relegate the bearing of arms to a “second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees that we have held to be incorporated into the Due Process Clause.”
Old 12-14-2017, 7:47 PM
I have 1 Gunz (Vendor/Retailer)
CGN Contributor

Default ffL03 discounts from FFL01 Pistol Transfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler;
Yes Midway stopped there 03 FFL discounts sometime ago, Shop at Brownells!

Is Brownell’s still accepting FFL03’s for discounts? When I inquired about this around September I was told by CS via email that they did not accept collectors licenses any longer. I never followed up after that inquiry. I may have been missing out if this is still valid.

Vendor Details:
Garage hobbyist producing 3D printed accessory products.

Vendor Thread:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1483110

Web Shop URL:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ten-creations-workshop
Old 12-14-2017, 7:55 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencreations_ar888 View Post
Is Brownell’s still accepting FFL03’s for discounts? When I inquired about this around September I was told by CS via email that they did not accept collectors licenses any longer. I never followed up after that inquiry. I may have been missing out if this is still valid.
It still works for me, discounts on almost everything and then stack coupons on top of that.

Old 12-14-2017, 7:59 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk;
It still works for me, discounts on almost everything and then stack coupons on top of that.

Thank you. I’ll push the topic when i get a chance. I pick up random things from Brownell’s and every bit helps.

Vendor Details:

Vendor Thread:

Web Shop URL:
Old 12-14-2017, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunterflyfisher View Post
Thank you skyhawk. I also heard that places like MidwayUSA will give FFL03s a 10% discount....which is great...I will take whatever I can get...
Brownells and Grafs give a pretty hefty discount. No rhyme or reason to how much from what I can see. I may be mistaken but Midway discontinued their 03 discount program. I'm still on file with them but pretty sure it's gone.
Old 12-15-2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tencreations_ar888 View Post
The CS I chatted with on the Brownell's website told me the same thing they told you, but I was curious and emailed Brownell's FFL dept and asked them directly. Below is their reply.

"Hi,

You can email the copy to FFL@brownells.com. We won't be able to ship FFL required items with a type 03 FFL, but it will get you qualified for discounted pricing.

Thank you,
Jaime"

So, just email a copy of your 03 to them along with your user name for your account.

Last edited by Kilo3049; 12-15-2017 at 6:06 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 6:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo3049;
The CS I chatted with on the Brownell's website told me the same thing they told you, but I was curious and emailed Brownell's FFL dept and asked them directly. Below is their reply.

"Hi,

You can email the copy to FFL@brownells.com. We won't be able to ship FFL required items with a type 03 FFL, but it will get you qualified for discounted pricing.

Thank you,
Jaime"

So, just email a copy of your 03 to them along with your user name for your account.

Thanks. Already sent my info in =)

Vendor Details:

Vendor Thread:

Web Shop URL:
Old 12-15-2017, 6:15 PM
🇺🇸 Jack-Booted Gov Thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

• Brownell's discount on most items is GREAT! Love them and will continue to throw my money at them. Scan a signed copy of your FFL and email it to FFL@Brownells.com with your account name/number.
  • Numrich is 5% (no other coupons), but now that they've changed their shipping, I will hold out for their 10%/free ship deals when them have them (like right now - if you're subscribed to their email blast).
  • I thought Grafs stopped/limited discounts for 03s, something about moving towards "every day low pricing," but I haven't ordered from them in awhile.
  • Midway can eat it.
FTR: I have never gotten a "discount" because of my 03 during a transfer. I may or may not have received one at some point or another due to other reasons.

-------
Old 12-15-2017, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Midway dumped their discount to -03 ffl's several years ago. I've had my discount with Brownells since the mid-1990's.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 12-15-2017, 7:17 PM
It's a drinking solution.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've been able to avoid the "buy a lock" thing due to FFL transfers being exempt but YMMV.

Midway terminated their dealer pricing program to enhance their shopping experience. I've terminated my Midway shopping experience.
[Drawbridge opens, leaving a flattened Yosemite Sam]

Okay, rabbit, you forced me to use force!

Before going after the Electoral College, we should first rethink whatever primary system that ended up with Hillary Clinton as one of the candidates.
Old 12-15-2017, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

The only "discount" on C&R pistols a CA resident 03 FFL might have is if they live close enough to the border to do your shopping in a neighboring state, including shipping C&R pistols. When I still lived in Truckee I figure I saved about $80 on my CZ82 in fees, between ridiculous California dealer transfer fees, DROS fees and the cost of a HSC. I paid $20 to the NV dealer for the transfer, plus the registration fee.