Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 01-05-2018, 8:06 PM

Default Which to get- AZ or Utah?

I tried to reply to a thread posted already but got the message that it was too old to reply. So here it is...

Traveling to AZ in April. Should I apply for AZ or is Utah a better route? I go to Reno/Vegas and so on, so NV could/should be included as well. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have also tried to find a class to attend so I can apply for either but can't find any posts/info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Im in the SF Bay Area and also SAC/San Joaquin areas.
Old 01-05-2018, 9:06 PM

Az is much easier to obtain and the Utah permit, by what I have been told goes through some sort of member council and if they don't approve you it will make it harder to get a license elsewhere. The AZ permit works almost everywhere the Utah permit works except a few of the states Utah allows AZ does not and viise versa. Hope this helps.
Crow
Old 01-05-2018, 9:13 PM

When I was faced with the decision, I got both. At that time, Nevada didn't honor Utah, so I got Arizona. My understanding is that the opposite is now true - go figure.

Go to handgunlaw.us and check out the reciprocity maps.
Old 01-05-2018, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

Here ya go, http://www.besthandguntraining.com/

John is on the board and is very knowledgeable and straight forward. His non res UT class gives you everything you need to get the permit. I did that class because I didn't have any of the required training AZ asks for. The UT permit gives you Washington state, if that is important to you. AZ doesn't but it does include New Mexico which the UT does not. Either one will work for where you are looking to go.
Old 01-05-2018, 9:52 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

AZ gets you New Mexico, Utah does not.
Utah gets you Washington, AZ does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-05-2018, 9:56 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
When I was faced with the decision, I got both. At that time, Nevada didn't honor Utah, so I got Arizona. My understanding is that the opposite is now true - go figure.
Nevada still accepts AZ.

And Handgunlaw.us is not the best, as it does not differentiate between resident and non-resident. It shows Colorado and Florida as accepting AZ and UT, but there is no way that a California resident can legally carry in Colorado, and you must have a Florida permit to carry in Florida, even if you have a California permit.

USACarry is better
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-06-2018, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Nevada still accepts AZ.

And Handgunlaw.us is not the best, as it does not differentiate between resident and non-resident. It shows Colorado and Florida as accepting AZ and UT, but there is no way that a California resident can legally carry in Colorado, and you must have a Florida permit to carry in Florida, even if you have a California permit.

USACarry is better
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Good to know about AZ, had a whole discussion with someone (I think it was this forum) a while back and they told me that Nevada didn’t honor AZ anymore. I knew about Colorado and Florida (I believe there are a couple more, too), but I thought I remembered seeing the footnote on HGL explaining that. Thanks fir the link for USACarry, I forgot about that site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 10:45 AM

Rather than start a new thread. I have a related question regarding this subject. If I have a California CCW and want to just have mostly reciprocal rights to carry in Nevada. Is there any good reason to get a Nevada CCW since its much easier to just get an AZ permit.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
Rather than start a new thread. I have a related question regarding this subject. If I have a California CCW and want to just have mostly reciprocal rights to carry in Nevada. Is there any good reason to get a Nevada CCW since its much easier to just get an AZ permit.
The only drawback to using the AZ permit is if Nevada changes their agreements.
I need Florida because the kids live there, and when I applied, NV did not accept Florida, so I applied for AZ.
Before my AZ permit showed up, NV revised and began accepting Florida.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The only drawback to using the AZ permit is if Nevada changes their agreements.
I need Florida because the kids live there, and when I applied, NV did not accept Florida, so I applied for AZ.
Before my AZ permit showed up, NV revised and began accepting Florida.
Couple of reasons why I am leaning toward the AZ non resident permit over getting the Nevada permit are that AZ is all done via mail and the requirements are pretty simple. Where as the Nevada permit requires I take a one day course in Nevada and apply in person. This all adds to a lot of extra time expense . My understanding is the AZ permit takes 75 days or less (normally 30-45 days) where as the Nevada Permit can take up to 120 days.
Also from my research it looks like the AZ permit has been accepted for at least the past few years now.
Old 01-06-2018, 5:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Couple of reasons why I am leaning toward the AZ non resident permit over getting the Nevada permit are that AZ is all done via mail and the requirements are pretty simple. Where as the Nevada permit requires I take a one day course in Nevada and apply in person. This all adds to a lot of extra time expense . My understanding is the AZ permit takes 75 days or less (normally 30-45 days) where as the Nevada Permit can take up to 120 days.
Also from my research it looks like the AZ permit has been accepted for at least the past few years now.
Pretty sure if you already have a CA CCW all you need is to have fingerprints rolled for AZ and submit the application and you'll have a permit within a max of 75 days, and more realistically in about 30 days.

Your CA CCW satisfies training requirements for AZ, so it's just a matter of rolling prints, completing the app and mailing it in. Email the AZ DPS and request an application packet - they'll send you print cards and application, and you go from there.

Here's the link. If it comes up as a general homepage, just select "Obtaining a Permit" and then "Applicant Instructions." Link: https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

Last edited by Cortelli; 01-06-2018 at 5:16 PM.. Reason: Add Link
Old 01-06-2018, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Reciprocity and recognition between states is a dynamic thing. It changes from time to time so if you want the best coverage simply get both. Problem solved!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 01-06-2018, 6:32 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Reciprocity and recognition between states is a dynamic thing. It changes from time to time so if you want the best coverage simply get both. Problem solved!
+! I just got them both, it was easy and the Utah training covers AZ (but not always vice versa).
Old 01-09-2018, 7:54 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone- decision made- will get both.
Old 01-09-2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc66 View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone- decision made- will get both.
Good decision. That’s what I did, too.
Old 01-12-2018, 1:40 PM

I dont know how long it takes now, but when I applied for my Arizona CCW this past April, not counting mail time (which was 2 days each way), mine only took 13 days to process from start to finish. I was amazed it was that fast.
Old 01-13-2018, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk992h View Post
I dont know how long it takes now, but when I applied for my Arizona CCW this past April, not counting mail time (which was 2 days each way), mine only took 13 days to process from start to finish. I was amazed it was that fast.
My experience about 3 months ago.
Old 01-14-2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I though it was going to take 2 or 3 months, but I got mine in a little over a month. It was way quicker then I expected.
Just asked then to sent me a package with the forms, when I got then I filled them out, made copies of my military ID and DD214, got my finger prints done (2 copies), $60 money order and sent it in. Next thing I knew it was in my mail box a little over a month if that. Don't thing it's the normal thing but I must of gotten them at a not to busy time frame. Not complaining.
It's not good in every state but it's more states then I had living here in Cali which was ZERO.. lol
Old 01-14-2018, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I recently got my AZ CCW in only three weeks from when they received my application. Maybe too fast, there is a typo in my name that needs correction.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-14-2018, 6:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer

AZ has constitutional carry, so you don't need a permit to carry concealed in that state. However a permit comes in handy if you're driving through some other states in-between.

I think Utah is a better deal because while the initial application fee is $7 more, the renewal fee is $15 vs. Arizona's $43. So over the long run UT is much more cost-effecitive (provided you don't need/want New Mexico).

In terms of other coverage, you need an Oregon permit if you want to carry in that state, and the same applies for Florida. A Virginia permit gives you the least coverage for the most cost.
Old 01-14-2018, 6:25 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
AZ has constitutional carry, so you don't need a permit to carry concealed in that state.
As long as you don't stop for a meal in any establishment that serves alcohol... Stop for dinner at Chili's with your family your gun stays in your car, kind of a problem if someone harasses you or your family in the parking lot.

An AZ permit has more perks than just adding states.
Old 01-14-2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
AZ has constitutional carry, so you don't need a permit to carry concealed in that state. However a permit comes in handy if you're driving through some other states in-between.

I think Utah is a better deal because while the initial application fee is $7 more, the renewal fee is $15 vs. Arizona's $43. So over the long run UT is much more cost-effecitive (provided you don't need/want New Mexico).

In terms of other coverage, you need an Oregon permit if you want to carry in that state, and the same applies for Florida. A Virginia permit gives you the least coverage for the most cost.
My understanding is that a UTAH permit requires there specific training course, where as Arizona will accept most any other approved course. The course is classroom only but costs about $40 and is 4hrs.
I plan to eventually get an Oregon permit as well but they require you apply in person so it means a road trip to Klamath Falls for me. Utah would be handy too if I wanted to add Washington State.
Old 01-14-2018, 7:55 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I recently got my AZ CCW in only three weeks from when they received my application. Maybe too fast, there is a typo in my name that needs correction.
Did they spell it "HondaDriver"?

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 8:01 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
As long as you don't stop for a meal in any establishment that serves alcohol... Stop for dinner at Chili's with your family your gun stays in your car, kind of a problem if someone harasses you or your family in the parking lot.
But if your trip takes you through NM on your way to wherever, that restriction applies even with a permit. Can't carry in any establishment that serves anything other than "wine or low-point beer" (I'm guessing 5.5% and not Utah's 3.2).
Chili's, Applebee's, no-go.

OTOH, in Nevada, you can not only be in a bar, you can consume alcohol, so long as you aren't impaired (same standard that applies to LEO in California).

We have to stay on top of the laws of every state that we travel through.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 8:04 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I plan to eventually get an Oregon permit as well but they require you apply in person so it means a road trip to Klamath Falls for me. Utah would be handy too if I wanted to add Washington State.
Oregon also generally does require that you have some regular business in Oregon.

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Did they spell it "HondaDriver"?
Not that bad LOL
My first name can be spelled two ways so they chose the wrong way for some reason.
Hopefully a phone call will remedy the situation.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-14-2018, 8:22 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Not that bad LOL
My first name can be spelled two ways so they chose the wrong way for some reason.
Hopefully a phone call will remedy the situation.
Ahh... Shawn, Sean... Steven, Stephen, Phteven...

Quote:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oregon also generally does require that you have some regular business in Oregon.
They did not for me. It was enough that I have CA and travel through OR to other states where I also have permits to carry (WA, ID, NV & UT). We will have to see if anything changes when I attempt to renew in June.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
My understanding is that a UTAH permit requires there specific training course, where as Arizona will accept most any other approved course.
One way to satisfy AZ, FL, VA and OR requirements is training from an NRA instructor where safety is a component of the class. UT requires specific material taught by a UT certified instructor. I've had students tell me they took classes in the SF bay area that were advertised as meeting the UT training requirement that in fact were not. When in doubt check https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uplo...te01042018.pdf to see if they are certified.

Quote:
The local OR Sheriff has the discretion to accept non-resident applications, and what requirements they must meet. Some require applicants own property or a business in that county. Some don't. So it depends.
Old 02-01-2018, 7:19 AM

I actually think Utah is easier than Arizona (I have both). The downside to UT is a specific course, but you can mail in app the same day as the course if you do your fingerprints and photo beforehand. With AZ, you need to request the application to be mailed to you and use their fingerprint cards. This can take an extra week. However, most people do not need any extra training for Arizona. I got my Utah one in 2 and a half weeks and my Arizona one in about 4 weeks. Personally, I suggest getting both!
Old 02-01-2018, 8:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

You can always request the AZ app prior to taking any training class. Then there are instructors like myself that do it for you and provide the AZ application and fingerprint cards on the day of training.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You can always request the AZ app prior to taking any training class. Then there are instructors like myself that do it for you and provide the AZ application and fingerprint cards on the day of training.
Agreed. My response was more for people who have the AZ training already (such as a CA CCW). You have a week of downtime while waiting for the application...As far as price goes, Utah costs more up front but is much cheaper to renew.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Get both.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoGuns View Post
I actually think Utah is easier than Arizona (I have both). The downside to UT is a specific course, but you can mail in app the same day as the course if you do your fingerprints and photo beforehand. With AZ, you need to request the application to be mailed to you and use their fingerprint cards. This can take an extra week. However, most people do not need any extra training for Arizona. I got my Utah one in 2 and a half weeks and my Arizona one in about 4 weeks. Personally, I suggest getting both!
UT was very easy. I didn't have the required training so I went to https://www.besthandguntraining.com/ for their UT class. Afterwards all that was needed was a check and to mail the app. Now with the UT card, I went ahead and sent in for AZ. UT gives you WA where AZ does not; AZ gives you NM where UT does not. As you said, get both
Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoGuns View Post
My AZ CCW class had the entire application and fingerprint cards etc... included. And Utah requires a passport type photo. I agree with getting both, just take the UT certified class and you're good in all the rest AFAIK.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:35 PM

I applied for an AZ CCW because I already had a CA class certificate and other than going to my local CHP office for (free) fingerprints it was super simple. I thought about and may still get a UT permit but living in CA I really mostly wanted Nevada reciprocity. UT would have required another class AZ accepts what I already . Actually I think I would like to have CA/AZ/UT/OR that would give me just about everything on the west coast accept Colorado.
As to the one week delay for mailing out the application packet from AZ there really was not big deal in the grand scheme of things.I sent in my paperwork about 2 weeks ago and will post back when I receive it.
Old 02-01-2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
I applied for an AZ CCW because I already had a CA class certificate and other than going to my local CHP office for (free) fingerprints it was super simple. I thought about and may still get a UT permit but living in CA I really mostly wanted Nevada reciprocity. UT would have required another class AZ accepts what I already . Actually I think I would like to have CA/AZ/UT/OR that would give me just about everything on the west coast accept Colorado.
As to the one week delay for mailing out the application packet from AZ there really was not big deal in the grand scheme of things.I sent in my paperwork about 2 weeks ago and will post back when I receive it.

I am big on getting what you can. Reciprocity agreements change all the time! I personally have CA, UT, FL, NH, and AZ. I will likely get Oregon on my next trip up there, but I haven't been (to the correct counties) there on a weekday in like 8 years and I don't go there often.
Old 02-02-2018, 9:13 AM

I know that Mil-spec armory is holding a class for the non resident CCW class this month on the 10th. They have 2 classes. one at 8am and one at 1PM

They seem to be providing everything including the fingerprint cards as stated here:
What you get upon completion of the course:

Basic knowledge of concealed carry requirements, responsibilities, and liabilities
All required forms necessary to mail in the Utah Non-Resident CCW application
A completed Utah State fingerprint card signed by a Utah Certified Instructor.

I believe they still have seats left for both classes

Here's the link:
https://www.milspec-armory.com/classes.html
Old 02-02-2018, 9:15 AM

And I see that they are holding another again on the 10th of feb now!
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 AM

I got AZ and Utah, but if I had to choose, I’d probably do Utah. I think the additional instruction and requirement of Utah might make it more attractive to other States and reciprocity, or if a National standard comes down. My thinking is whatever might happen in the future might base itself off of a State that has some teeth behind their process. Also, be careful with constitutional carry out-of-state. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe many States only offer that for residents.

—S