Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM

Finally took mine to the range today. I won't discuss accuracy since I'ma lousy shot, but here is the breakdown:

40 rounds Winchester Whitebox 115 grain FMJ - no issues
40 rounds American Eagle 124 grain FMJ - no issues
40 rounds Blazer 124 grain FMJ (aluminium) - no issues
40 rounds Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ - 2 rounds failed to go into battery - these were the first rounds I fired and they were both from the first mag I shot)
10 rounds Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection 124 grain+p Hollow Points - no problems

Not much of a torture test, but she ran just fine. I didn't have any 147 grain to try out. Fun little gun.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM

For LA & OC Calguners.
Ammobros has PC-9 TD CA none-thread-version for $520+tax+Dros.
It seems liked the production catch up with the demand now or nobody want a non-thread-version (?).

Last edited by newbie1234; 05-20-2018 at 5:20 PM..
Old 05-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Big 5 has the threaded barrel version here locally for $600.
Old 05-20-2018, 2:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just DROS'ed one at Turner's today after renting and shooting one at a local range yesterday.

I already own a 9mm AR but I'm looking forward to having and shooting something without a stupid grip wrap.
Old 05-20-2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
Big 5 has the threaded barrel version here locally for $600.

Wonder if they'll ever put em on sale? $49 off suggested retail isn't enticing to me when so many online stores are advertising them for less than $500, if you can catch one in stock.

Last edited by WartHog; 05-20-2018 at 6:13 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 8:55 AM

Default PC Carbine Mods

I got mine a week ago, and so far it has been great. I already performed a few modifications:

1. The front sight is nearly invisible on a black target. I spent about $3.00 at my local Ace Hardware and now have it upgraded with some bright orange hobby enamel. This is a definite improvement. I am already looking at adapting an AR-15 style Hi-Viz or Tritium front sight post. For now, this will work.

2. I mounted a Burris Fastfire III red dot. Mounted all the way forward scout-style, you get good visibility and peripheral vision. It is not low enough to co-witness, but the white bar is close enough to serve as a rear sight.

carbine2_400.jpg

3. I tried to mount a Streamlight TLR-1HL, but the little picatinny rail lacks the necessary clearance at the rear. Rather than exchange it for a 1-cell handgun light, I opted to modify the stock. With the barrel still mounted, it's easy to clamp the barrel flutes into the milling vise and remove about .250" from the back of the rail. I also opted to run a very light pass over the top to remove the mold marks. Now any full-sized rifle light will fit just fine.

carbine1_400.jpg
carbine4_400.jpg

4. As seen in the above picture, I also wanted to use both a light and a sling simultaneously. This required that I also move the front sling swivel back 1.00". I machined a little Aluminum block to fit snugly inside the stock and tapped it all the way through for a 10-32 Uncle Mike's swivel stud. Now an M1 Carbine GI sling mounts nicely and doesn't smack the light controls when shouldered for carrying. The original hole is plugged with a brass rivet held in with a dab of RTV.

carbine3_400.jpg

If you mount a sling, be sure to purchase the GT sling swivels and not the Uncle Mike's. The rear sling stud is molded into the stock, and there is too much radius for a new Uncle Mike's to close all the way. Get the GT in 1" or 1.25" and you will have no problems. It's also all-metal with no plastic knob.

The PC Carbine seems to run just fine with G17 and G26 magazines. I'm going to try a few others as well. I ran 100 rounds of random ammo, including some skinny, long hollowpoints through it with zero issues. The takedown is very repeatable and there is zero play between barrel and receiver.

I'm also going to experiment with some loads. I'm thinking I'll focus on two of the slower powders that Lyman #49 and Hodgson list for 9mm - Blue Dot and Longshot. I hope to pick up 200fps+ over standard pistol velocity if I load carefully. We'll see how it goes.
Old 05-22-2018, 9:57 AM

I just dros'ed mine yesterday at Sportsman Warehouse, $598 out the door for the threaded barrel, they have plenty in stock, can't wait to shoot with it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTBob View Post
I got mine a week ago, and so far it has been great. I already performed a few modifications:

nice mods. and good idea on the front sight post. i haven't heard a lot of people mention this so i hope i don't have the same issue and need to paint the front sight.

i am debating whether to move my FF3 to this once I pick it up or buy a different red-dot sight to use.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
i am debating whether to move my FF3 to this once I pick it up or buy a different red-dot sight to use.
FF3 works great for me and the tubes like the Crossfire RD-1, Holosun, work too. Tubes seem a bit faster to me though. Not sure if that helps, hahah.

My second one will get a RD-1 if I move the 1-6 scope.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

MTG in Elk Grove has these incoming and advises you call to secure one if you want one. Dunno about price or threaded barrel. The pic they posted on FB is the threaded barrel version.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTBob View Post

1. The front sight is nearly invisible on a black target. I spent about $3.00 at my local Ace Hardware and now have it upgraded with some bright orange hobby enamel. This is a definite improvement. I am already looking at adapting an AR-15 style Hi-Viz or Tritium front sight post. For now, this will work.

2. I mounted a Burris Fastfire III red dot. Mounted all the way forward scout-style, you get good visibility and peripheral vision. It is not low enough to co-witness, but the white bar is close enough to serve as a rear sight.

Attachment 709033

3. I tried to mount a Streamlight TLR-1HL, but the little picatinny rail lacks the necessary clearance at the rear. Rather than exchange it for a 1-cell handgun light, I opted to modify the stock. With the barrel still mounted, it's easy to clamp the barrel flutes into the milling vise and remove about .250" from the back of the rail. I also opted to run a very light pass over the top to remove the mold marks. Now any full-sized rifle light will fit just fine.

Attachment 709032
Attachment 709035

4. As seen in the above picture, I also wanted to use both a light and a sling simultaneously. This required that I also move the front sling swivel back 1.00". I machined a little Aluminum block to fit snugly inside the stock and tapped it all the way through for a 10-32 Uncle Mike's swivel stud. Now an M1 Carbine GI sling mounts nicely and doesn't smack the light controls when shouldered for carrying. The original hole is plugged with a brass rivet held in with a dab of RTV.

Attachment 709034

If you mount a sling, be sure to purchase the GT sling swivels and not the Uncle Mike's. The rear sling stud is molded into the stock, and there is too much radius for a new Uncle Mike's to close all the way. Get the GT in 1" or 1.25" and you will have no problems. It's also all-metal with no plastic knob.

The PC Carbine seems to run just fine with G17 and G26 magazines. I'm going to try a few others as well. I ran 100 rounds of random ammo, including some skinny, long hollowpoints through it with zero issues. The takedown is very repeatable and there is zero play between barrel and receiver.

I'm also going to experiment with some loads. I'm thinking I'll focus on two of the slower powders that Lyman #49 and Hodgson list for 9mm - Blue Dot and Longshot. I hope to pick up 200fps+ over standard pistol velocity if I load carefully. We'll see how it goes.
EMTBob: Your post is a great example of why CalGuns is so useful. A fine, real world, useful, on the ground report. Thanks!

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 05-22-2018, 4:16 PM

Thanks, I tried to keep it on point. For the money, I think this rifle is a winner. I'm going to run it in a practical match and see how it goes. It's handy, simple and is going to get hits on target easier than many other weapons.

I've got a spare front sight and an AR15 Hi-Viz post on order. We'll see how easy it is to convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
EMTBob: Your post is a great example of why CalGuns is so useful. A fine, real world, useful, on the ground report. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 4:18 PM

I'd be curious to know if anyone has found a good front light solution that doesn't involve modifying the rifle or giving up the sling mount.
Old 05-22-2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezcars View Post
I just dros'ed mine yesterday at Sportsman Warehouse, $598 out the door for the threaded barrel, they have plenty in stock, can't wait to shoot with it!

My Sportsmans Warehouse doesn't even know about the threaded barrel version. Website doesn't show anything about the threaded CA version but others are only $530...
Old 05-22-2018, 7:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHH View Post
I'd be curious to know if anyone has found a good front light solution that doesn't involve modifying the rifle or giving up the sling mount.
Have not tried with a sling, just borrowed this of a Glock to see.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-22-2018, 7:18 PM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post

Great little lights. 500 Lumen too. Not 120 or something anemic.
Old 05-22-2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHH View Post
Yes, you can use a single-cell weapon light like a TLR-3 or similar:

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...il/index/tlr-3

Some other 2-cell lights may work if their crossbar is far enough backwards to allow the light to sit sticking forward enough.
Old 05-22-2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
My Sportsmans Warehouse doesn't even know about the threaded barrel version. Website doesn't show anything about the threaded CA version but others are only $530...
I didn't know they have the threaded barrel until I got to the store and they give me the choice of threaded or non threaded barrel and everyone of the employees looked at the guy who give me to choose and they didn't know there was that threaded barrel model at the same price! The store is the one on Rocklin, California!

Last edited by dezcars; 05-22-2018 at 9:50 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't bought one yet but planning for accessories. This had some pretty good reviews on Brian Enos.
https://taccom3g.com/product/ruger-p...ckage-no-comp/