Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-11-2018, 9:42 PM

Default Why are there holes in my ak gas block?

Thanks for any info you can provide. This is a pic from my Riley Defense MP Tactical AK. It has a front sight gas block that has holes like the jmac customs GB which it might actually be. The holes were covered with the original quad rail that was fitted on the gas tube but I swapped it with a Troy gas tube, leaving the holes uncovered. I am taking it to the range this weekend so I am wondering what itís for, will the holes relieve too much pressure in the gas tube for adequate cycling, and do I need to make any modifications now that itís exposed. Iím an ak neebie so please have mercy and thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43A67E7E-BA07-4B57-A36B-55B67C109668.jpg (10.8 KB, 153 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 9:56 PM

Probably used as an effort to relieve an overgassed system.

Thatís my guess
Old 10-11-2018, 9:56 PM

Should cycle just fine
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 PM

AKs are overgassed anyways I don't see why it would cause an issue. The only problem is having a Riley Defense AK. I know because I have one... they tend to have more malfunctions than normal. Mine is with the gunsmith after 600 rounds.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentZero000 View Post
Thanks for any info you can provide. This is a pic from my Riley Defense MP Tactical AK. It has a front sight gas block that has holes like the jmac customs GB which it might actually be. The holes were covered with the original quad rail that was fitted on the gas tube but I swapped it with a Troy gas tube, leaving the holes uncovered. I am taking it to the range this weekend so I am wondering what itís for, will the holes relieve too much pressure in the gas tube for adequate cycling, and do I need to make any modifications now that itís exposed. Iím an ak neebie so please have mercy and thanks!
The holes are to vent the gas pressure AFTER the gas piston reaches them.
That way, the inertia stored in the carrier cycles the rifle.
If there were no holes, the carrier would be pushed a little further until the piston enters the gas tube and the gas can flow around the piston.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 10-12-2018, 1:02 AM

^^^ this... And ive learned a lot from you in the past. Thx... AKM AkM
Old 10-12-2018, 6:46 AM
Veteran Member

As has been stated a few times, it called a "gas vent" and all AK's have them in one form or the other:

China;

Finland;

Yugoslavia;

Romania;

Israel;

Poland;
Old 10-12-2018, 6:55 AM

Its to vent excess gas thats not needed but does not regulate cycling. All the gas needed for cycling is trapped before the end of the block. Its more so to prevent a puff of gas coming into the reciever and through the dustcover around the recoil spring button and into your face. I remedied a vepr that was puffing me with gas. All good now
Old 10-12-2018, 9:34 PM

Thank you all for such informative responses! And to v8merc124 for the image of an ak boofing gas into my face if the blocks were not vented haha. And since my new Riley is still in its first few hundred rounds, let’s see how it does. I too have heard the complaints but saw that they made improvements since the broken trunnion days. Will be doing a trigger job on the g2 next.
Old 10-12-2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
As has been stated a few times, it called a "gas vent" and all AK's have them in one form or the other:

China;

Finland;

Yugoslavia;

Romania;

Israel;

Poland;

Great evidence btw! On a side note, is it proper to call mine an akm still if it has a front sight gas block? Semantically I wanna get it right and I canít call it an ak-15 pattern because it lacks the improved bolt and safety features. Haha itís kinda a bastardized akm if I had to name it.