Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-11-2018, 5:49 PM

Default A couple of 870 questions!

Hey guys, I'm new to the 870 and was replacing a broken rivet on the ejector.

I've cut off the old one with no problems, but the new rivet doesn't sit flush on the outside of the receiver. I'm having trouble finding good online resources as most of them just talk about replacing the spring and keeping the old rivet which wasn't an option for me. Am I supposed to do something to make it fit?

Also, are there any stores in South Bay that sell parts for these that aren't Bass Pro?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870_rivet.jpg (85.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-11-2018, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

IIRC they are made to be proud and need to be ground flush to the receiver
Old 07-12-2018, 9:38 PM

Yuck, looks like that's the case. Thank you.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:12 AM

Was told by Remington rep that the standard factory procedure was; re-rivet the ejector, then sand/grind down the excess followed by a re-finish of the action.

*Maybe grind it flat and cold blue??
Old 07-13-2018, 5:46 AM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Sand/file flush and cold blue.. if you can’t do it, maybe try to find a machine shop nearby that will handle it for you. If you’re in Riverside, PM me and I can do it for you
Old 07-13-2018, 1:46 PM

Thanks!

From what you guys are telling me, I think I'll try to grind it down a little at a time separate from the receiver, a little bit at a time until it's 'close enough', and then cold blue it.

I'd rather not risk the original bluing, since it's that nice older one, and I've grown to distrust modern bluing.
Old 07-13-2018, 2:46 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

It's an 870, just rub along curb at nearest sidewalk and rattle can it, resume shooting.

jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
I always thought nothing beat a BJ. :shrug:
Old 07-19-2018, 7:40 PM

Thank you for the sound technical advice! It is nice though having something that I don't feel the need to baby around.

I had a follow-up question on the ejector though. I got a replacement in. The original is still usable, but I'd bought the replacement thinking I'd may as well put a new one in while it was apart and the old one was a bit banged up.

But the new ejector has a different shape to it. I enclosed a picture of the two. Does this different geometry affect the functionality at all? Should I stick with the original?

Old 07-20-2018, 3:07 AM

Always beleave in the old saying."if ain't broke, don't fix it@"
So if it works fine why mess with it??
Old 07-20-2018, 7:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylesGarmin View Post
Thank you for the sound technical advice! It is nice though having something that I don't feel the need to baby around.

I had a follow-up question on the ejector though. I got a replacement in. The original is still usable, but I'd bought the replacement thinking I'd may as well put a new one in while it was apart and the old one was a bit banged up.

But the new ejector has a different shape to it. I enclosed a picture of the two. Does this different geometry affect the functionality at all? Should I stick with the original?

It may be the old one is for a non magnum 870 ( "V' in serial number) and the new for 3".....just guessing, as I'm to lazy to dig out one of my old Wingmasters and compare the two.
I would put the old one back in

Last edited by Thefeeder; 07-20-2018 at 7:34 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylesGarmin View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the 870 and was replacing a broken rivet on the ejector.

I've cut off the old one with no problems, but the new rivet doesn't sit flush on the outside of the receiver. I'm having trouble finding good online resources as most of them just talk about replacing the spring and keeping the old rivet which wasn't an option for me. Am I supposed to do something to make it fit?

Also, are there any stores in South Bay that sell parts for these that aren't Bass Pro?

Thanks!
This is typical for the rivet installation - if you are worried about the visual appeal, well, is will cost some cash BUT -
Tape over area, remove tape from rivet any way you choose, grind rivet flush carefully, Paint with matching color - Black - (Good paint that isn't affected by most solvents), heat cure. No one will notice but you. OR
Cerakote, Parkerize, or whatever you suits your fancy and pocket book.
Old 07-20-2018, 8:08 PM

The old one is for 2 3/4" ejection. They only make one now and it is for 3". So when you install it in an old Wingmaster you now can eject 3" shells, however, you would have to have a new barrel chambered for up to 3" Shells.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:14 PM

Oh dang, thanks for the insight everyone!

Will it have any negative effect on ejecting 2 3/4" shells? The old one is usable, but I nicked the rivet hole when I had to drill out a messed up rivet, so I think it'd probably be best if I replaced the ejector, if I can do so with no adverse side effects.
Old 07-21-2018, 4:38 PM

No, ejects all shells the same.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.