Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 07-20-2018, 6:33 AM

Default Safe barrel temperature?

(Sorry if this has been asked before in other threads, my search of the forum turned up a lot of result for barrel temperatures but nothing I saw that pertained)

Is there a general range of operating temperature to stay in or out of? I understand equipment makes a difference, and when the mirage is making everything you see downrange do a bellydance, it's probably a little too hot, but at what point does that whole "way too hot" range start and begin being really bad for a barrel (premature wear and whatnot)?

I'm taking a long range training class this weekend, and the weather forecast isn't very favorable (Sac valley, triple digits), and figured that narrow window of safe - too hot will be relatively smaller for if/when we start shooting.

For the sake of my case, my equipment is pretty basic:
- stock Ruger Precision, 6.5cm (the factory barrel is a 24", 1:8 twist 5r, if it matters)
- Hornady factory 140gn
I've also got one of those Barrel Cool flag fans, and those temperature strips that came with it on the barrel as close to the chamber as possible. I know it's hotter inside the barrel than on the outside, I'll probably (if I can remember to) bring a laser temp reader as well to shoot into the chamber as far as I can to hopefully get a reading on the barrel.

Thanks, and again, sorry if this has been asked before

Last edited by Nephthys; 07-20-2018 at 6:49 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 8:11 AM

If it feels hot to the touch, rather than just warm, I take a break.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Keep it below 140 for best accuracy. There is some testing on Benchrest Central but it would be about 10 years old now. I think the testing was done by Arizona Ammo or Thunderbird Cartridge Company but don't quote me on which one.

Coincidentally 140-150 is about all you grab with your hand before being very uncomfortable.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Sounds good, thanks for the info LynnJr.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:13 PM

As posted above, but if its a really hot day, depending on "Caliber", you won't make it through a box of 20, consecutive shots without it being to hot to touch.
Old 07-20-2018, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ and some rifles cannot shoot more than 3-5 "cartridges" and be too hot to hold and it is time to let it cool and shoot another rifle.
Old 07-20-2018, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

I can tell you from experience 130* F is the max temp anyone can quickly touch unless you are a grizzled welder. I work in an environment where everything is hot and under high pressures and 140-150* F will burn most people.

But I agree if its too hot to touch let it cool off.
Old 07-20-2018, 4:26 PM

Just wrap a raw piece of bacon around your barrel - quit shooting when it starts to smell delicious!
Old 07-20-2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
Just wrap a raw piece of bacon around your barrel - quit shooting when it starts to smell delicious!
Now there is an idea. If you put a plate under the barrel and collect the drippings, you have fresh lube that smells good to......
Old 07-20-2018, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 07-20-2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
lol, I'm gonna be really well liked at this class when I do this
Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

One of the first things I learned on the rifle range was the adage, "When You're Hot Shoot A Lot".
Old 07-24-2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephthys View Post

I'm taking a long range training class this weekend,
While guys like Lynn and others provided solid answers to your questions, I have a question.

What does it matter if your barrel is getting hot, but the COF, class, or whatever dictates the rate of fire?

Your gun isn't going to contend with the newly shot BR 1K record; You're there to learn and barrels are expendable. I'd worry more about what you can learn from your class and working the fundamentals than dealing with lazer temp devices.

BTW, with your RPR, the hand-guard will not let you touch the barrel an do the "hot hand test" anyway.

just my 2 cents

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 07-24-2018, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Diver raises a very interesting point.
First you can buy heat strips from Sinclair International that stick onto the barrel and let you know what the temperature is.

The course of fire will dictate the cartridges that will work for each discipline.
In 1000 yard Benchrest the lightguns shoot 5 rounds on the west coast. In F-Class you will fire 20 rounds and barrel heat means you need a cartridge that is accurate but won't eat up the barrels throat.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 07-24-2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
While guys like Lynn and others provided solid answers to your questions, I have a question.

What does it matter if your barrel is getting hot, but the COF, class, or whatever dictates the rate of fire?

Your gun isn't going to contend with the newly shot BR 1K record; You're there to learn and barrels are expendable. I'd worry more about what you can learn from your class and working the fundamentals than dealing with lazer temp devices.

BTW, with your RPR, the hand-guard will not let you touch the barrel an do the "hot hand test" anyway.

just my 2 cents
This gentleman's 2 cents are the ones to go with. I've never been in a long-range class (or a prs match) where the firing tempo would smoke a barrel, especially with 6.5CM. The most likely chance of damage will be from over cleaning or leaving ammonia based cleaners in too long. Who's putting on the class if you don't mind sharing?

The RPR is an excellent rifle for the investment. Have fun!

• Oehler 35P Chrono - NiB $399
• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Dillon XL 650 reloading press - New in Box
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
• Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)
Old 07-24-2018, 6:10 PM

Default Safe barrel temperature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Diver raises a very interesting point.

First you can buy heat strips from Sinclair International that stick onto the barrel and let you know what the temperature is.

The course of fire will dictate the cartridges that will work for each discipline.

In 1000 yard Benchrest the lightguns shoot 5 rounds on the west coast. In F-Class you will fire 20 rounds and barrel heat means you need a cartridge that is accurate but won't eat up the barrels throat.

Didn’t someone just rip an inch with a 6brA at 1k? 50-5X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 07-24-2018, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Use the Barrel-Cool.

Make or buy a mirage-shield.

Keep a damp towel in a cooler, lay it over the barrel (especially the chamber area) when it’s not your turn at the clinic/match and keep it out of direct sun.
Old 07-25-2018, 4:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
Didn’t someone just rip an inch with a 6brA at 1k? 50-5X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike Wilson just shot a 1.xxx group at 1000 yards at hawks ridge. I heard he was using a Shehane ST1000 stock and VaporTrail bullets in an improved 6BR with H4895 and CCI 450 primers.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 07-25-2018, 7:12 AM

Thanks for the advice and insights. My main concern before going into this past weekend was the weather and how hot I managed to get my barrel on my own from range sessions. The temperature strip that came with the Barrel Cool goes up to about 150 or so, on some of my solo range sessions I got all the way up there, and my groups opened up as a result. That, coupled with being paranoid about shooting a hot barrel causing accelerated wear, had me worried I may be running out the clock on it sooner rather than later. I've put upwards of 600-700 rounds through it this past year I've owned it.

As it turned out though, weather was nice to us that day - was a light wind and temperatures never hit over 100 I think. The class itself had about 5 other shooters, and I never had to worry about shooting long COF due to the others having gear issues. Aside from the instructors Seekins Havak, my RPR with cheap Mueller with plain target dot reticle was easily the best of the bunch. I was hitting 1/2 MOA groups consistently all day.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

What did you think of the Seekins? They are like $1600-ish.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:25 PM

honestly don't know, I've yet to handle a bone stock 700 to know how it feels to compare it with. General observations was everything felt very smooth and fitted very well on it. The instructor had a FFP Kahles scope on it, very sharp and crystal clear glass.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:28 PM

Something that hasn't been stressed much in this thread--your accuracy will go to hell if the barrel stays real hot. All that heat will "walk" your shots all over. If you can afford to shoot slowly, then do; you'll do your bore and your target a favor.
Old 07-27-2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish View Post
Something that hasn't been stressed much in this thread--your accuracy will go to hell if the barrel stays real hot. All that heat will "walk" your shots all over. If you can afford to shoot slowly, then do; you'll do your bore and your target a favor.
the walking depends on the barrel contour but the heat will eat a barrel up fast

https://youtu.be/7UGydW8pAIE

i personally shoot 30 and 35 rounds strings quite often and the only ill effect is shortened barrel life but like has been mentioned above we have to look at barrels as consumables just like powder,bullets ect