Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 09-18-2017, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Default Best large safe under $6000

I'm considering an upgrade and looking for opinions.

Hands down, what's the best safe I can buy under $6k? Ideally, I'd like it to be at least 48" wide and 60" tall (72 is better) with a depth of about 30" or more.

AmSEC comes to mind immediately as do a few others like sturdysafe and graffunder (price seems over my budget). I'm not looking to buy big box store stuff as most of this is garbage and only keeps out the amateurs.
Old 09-18-2017, 8:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Graffunder/ There other options here as well. In your price range I would look at Sturdy safes.

http://www.westcoastsafes.com/gun-sa...5_1000059.html

Last edited by Red-Osier77; 09-18-2017 at 9:08 AM..
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Champion Crown 55 comes in under 6K and seems to fit the bill

https://championsafe.com/product/cro...fire-gun-safe/

If you're willing to trade size for security, the Untouchable 45 comes in just a hair over 6K, I'm sure if you shopped around it could be had for less.

https://championsafe.com/product/unt...fire-gun-safe/

Superior/Champion are often overlooked, but I think you actually get a lot more for your money with them. If you step up to Superior's Untouchable series, it actually has the same specs as Graffunder's Bishop series, with a nicer interior, for less money. Sturdy doesn't even come close when you start talking about features... Yes Sturdy makes a solid safe, you simply don't get the nice extras you get with Superior/Champion. Their velour interior is very nice, the paint options are gorgeous, the radial gear drives are incredible, LED lights, bank boxes, fire protection.... I could go on. I spent so many hours researching safes before I went with a Champion, and I am so glad I did. Spend some time watching videos on youtube. I've yet to see a dissatisfied customer.

Last edited by 9kracing; 09-18-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
I'm considering an upgrade and looking for opinions.

Hands down, what's the best safe I can buy under $6k? Ideally, I'd like it to be at least 48" wide and 60" tall (72 is better) with a depth of about 30" or more.

AmSEC comes to mind immediately as do a few others like sturdysafe and graffunder (price seems over my budget). I'm not looking to buy big box store stuff as most of this is garbage and only keeps out the amateurs.
Maybe send TheSafeMover (member here) a PM. Might be able to score a used TL (whatever) safe from a jewelry store etc... They also sell Graffunder and other brands if I remember correctly.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 09-18-2017, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Not quite the size you are looking for but this one is a good safe.

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/s...251000500.html
Old 09-18-2017, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

30 years ago I got a TL-30 safe from a safe company for $1000. You should be able to get one now for under $2500. They don't have an interior, but you could probably make something for a few hundred dollars.

The contents of a TL-30 safe are insurable to $500,000 (30 years ago). A lot of computer chip makers used them. They are also fireproof. They are heavy.

Mine is something like this: http://www.deansafe.com/amsec-cf-723...rity-safe.html

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 09-19-2017, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone have positive input about VaultProUSA?

https://www.vaultprousa.com/
Old 09-21-2017, 12:47 AM

Buy 2 -- $3000 safes -- double your capacity.
Old 09-21-2017, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm not looking to buy big box store stuff as most of this is garbage and only keeps out the amateurs.
I disagree. If a "Pro" wants in your $6000 safe, he's getting in. ALL any safes do is slow them down. True security requires multiple levels of attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand1911 View Post
Buy 2 -- $3000 safes -- double your capacity.
Or one really large decent safe for $3000 and a great security system. Works for me. The "lower end" safes like my Blue Dot

http://www.bluedotsafes.com/safes/gu...-gs724027.html

is fine for the vast majority of needs. Couple that with a dog and a proper security system and I just don't see the ROI on spending two to three times as much.
Old 09-21-2017, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
I disagree. If a "Pro" wants in your $6000 safe, he's getting in. ALL any safes do is slow them down. True security requires multiple levels of attention.

Or one really large decent safe for $3000 and a great security system. Works for me. The "lower end" safes like my Blue Dot

http://www.bluedotsafes.com/safes/gu...-gs724027.html

is fine for the vast majority of needs. Couple that with a dog and a proper security system and I just don't see the ROI on spending two to three times as much.

Thanks, but it's pretty well proven a quality safe like Fort Knox, Graffunder and others provide a higher level of protection over big box brands like winchester, low end canon and many others.

I appreciate the extra input, but I'm just looking for input on the safe at this time.

WTB the following - in San Diego
--COLT Delta Elite 10mm Blued
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, but it's pretty well proven a quality safe like Fort Knox, Graffunder and others provide a higher level of protection over big box brands like winchester, low end canon and many others.
Of course they do. My point is for those that can't afford them....you can achieve reasonable security using layers. That's all. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM

After much research, and having a self imposed limitation of just 1 safe, I chose sturdy safe. I haven't doubted my purchase at all. Only thing I would have changed would be digital combo, and even that is a maybe.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I appreciate the extra input, but I'm just looking for input on the safe at this time.
IIRC good safes are rated for "time" as in how long it will take even a pro to get in (without blowing the contents to smitherines).

IMO even a pro will figure he's tripped a silent alarm once he starts working on a safe.

I'd want a little panel that says "alarm tripped, reset in 10 sec to cancel police" every time I come near the safe, but it can't be reset, its just a dummy and don't call anyone. Idea is maybe a pro will have wifi detectors etc to find all your alarm outputs so if he can't find one it might scare him off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9YdML8PPw
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM

I miss my old Sturdy Safe. I sold it with the house. I got what I paid for it out of it. Sturdy Safe announced a new group buy a couple days ago, so I am looking for a thread to get going with enough people to join. I'm definitely buying 1 again (or maybe 2 medium sized ones)
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
I miss my old Sturdy Safe. I sold it with the house. I got what I paid for it out of it. Sturdy Safe announced a new group buy a couple days ago, so I am looking for a thread to get going with enough people to join. I'm definitely buying 1 again (or maybe 2 medium sized ones)
I just looked up a comparable price between Sturdy and a competitor.

48"W 27"D 72"H - Gun Safe - Model 4827-6
Packages:Heavy Metal ($760)
Dials:Twin Lock System -One Spin, One Electronic ($265)
Interiors:#3 Customized ($200)
Gun Racks:Standard Gun Rack
Finishes:Matte Black and Black ($250)
Extras:Fire Liner ($820), Dri Rod ($36), Extra Warranty ($150), Key In Dial ($20), Hard Plate Upgrade ($75), Electric Hole, Bolt Down Holes
Shipping:Garage Delivery

$6,341

Even with a 10% discount, this only covers the tax base, so I'm essentially paying $6163

To be honest, I don't see Sturdy Safe as a better safe over Graffunder, VaultPro (local CA company) or even Fort Knox.

And who makes a safe without bolt down holes? How is this even an option???