Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 4:04 PM

nah. The serial numbers match.
Old 10-04-2017, 4:05 PM

Excellent thread. Thank you C&G.

There have been many incarnations of "bullet buttons" over the years. Should there be any concerns with certain versions when registering? Has anyone registered with a Raddlock?

What about speed funnels? They require a "tool" and cannot be depressed by your finger. (not my pic) http://photobucket.com/gallery/http:...dk4us.jpg.html

Last edited by PoorMan; 10-04-2017 at 4:47 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 9:03 AM

Okay, Iíve tried to parse all of this but Iím just going to come out and ask

I have a friend (lol, Iím being serious) who built an AR 15 pistol from an 80% lower in 2016. He engraved a serial but did not send it to the gov for registration or anything of the sort.

What will he need to do to register his pistol as an AW before time is up?
Old 10-05-2017, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
Excellent thread. Thank you C&G.

There have been many incarnations of "bullet buttons" over the years. Should there be any concerns with certain versions when registering? Has anyone registered with a Raddlock?

What about speed funnels? They require a "tool" and cannot be depressed by your finger. (not my pic) http://photobucket.com/gallery/http:...dk4us.jpg.html
I will be registering one rifle with a Raddlock, but not until after the first of the year. The biggest concern that we should have is the minimum wage data entry people that the DOJ has hired to review the submissions won't have any idea what they are looking at. For instance, the bullet button on my Tavor SAR isn't a bullet button at all but a modified standard magazine catch with an extra hole in it. I don't think for a minute they will know what they are looking at.
Old 10-05-2017, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno999 View Post
Okay, Iíve tried to parse all of this but Iím just going to come out and ask

I have a friend (lol, Iím being serious) who built an AR 15 pistol from an 80% lower in 2016. He engraved a serial but did not send it to the gov for registration or anything of the sort.

What will he need to do to register his pistol as an AW before time is up?
Check out my thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1367104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

New information:

1) The first applications have been approved and people are receiving letters
2) Each firearm will receive a separate letter
3) The letter will be formatted and look like (with the same language) as past letters (except only 1 firearm per letter)
4) Looks like processing time is 8-10 weeks
5) DOJ will NOT accept volreg serial numbers for RAW (this is in direct conflict with the written law that says exemptions for weapons in a centralized registry will be accepted)
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 10-11-2017, 11:40 PM

I went to Turners today and picked up my cheap 22

I looked at the break-open feature-less, and the way these AR-15s break open is really no biggie. The salesman said that there is a after market speed loader for this gun also. Anyone know about it?
Old 10-12-2017, 8:37 AM

Okay great. Thank you Disco.
Old 10-12-2017, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
New information:

5) DOJ will NOT accept volreg serial numbers for RAW (this is in direct conflict with the written law that says exemptions for weapons in a centralized registry will be accepted)
So, none at all? The OP still says that "we think" firearms that were volreg'd with self-assigned serial #s prior to 2017 would be accepted.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
New information:

What is the information on the law that says that? Basically where can I find it? Want to have more ammo to throw at them to try and get this crap fixed.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glug View Post
So, none at all? The OP still says that "we think" firearms that were volreg'd with self-assigned serial #s prior to 2017 would be accepted.
No volreg serials will be accepted regardless of when they were approved is my understanding. Caliguy, did you have any that were pre 2017 volreg'd?

I can't see how the dates would make any difference there, unless they have some kind of special policy.
Quote:

Old 10-12-2017, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
What is the information on the law that says that? Basically where can I find it? Want to have more ammo to throw at them to try and get this crap fixed.
Under AB857 Cooper in regards to what is exempt from the DOJ mandated serial process it reads:

29181. Section 29180 does not apply to or affect any of the following:
(a) A firearm that has a serial number assigned to it pursuant to either Section 23910 or pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Part 1 of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(b) A firearm made or assembled prior to December 16, 1968, that is not a handgun.
(c) A firearm which was entered into the centralized registry set forth in Section 11106 prior to July 1, 2018, as being owned by a specific individual or entity if that firearm has assigned to it a distinguishing number or mark of identification to that firearm by virtue of the department accepting entry of that firearm into the centralized registry.
(d) A firearm that has a serial number assigned to it pursuant to Chapter 53 of Title 26 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(e) A firearm that is a curio or relic, or an antique firearm, as those terms are defined in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

There is no mention of the serial process in the law at all for RAW in SB880, they simply made it up in their regulations. The regulations do not stipulate any exemptions from their marking requirements. But if CA law dealing with un-serialized home built weapons grant people the ability to volreg before July 1st 2018 and be exempt from the AB857 marking requirements (which are the same as the SB880 process) then how can regulations prevent us from registering them as AW with out accepted volreg serial numbers?

Answer: Lawsuit.
Quote:

Old 10-12-2017, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

I was wrong on each weapon appearing in a separate letter, people are reporting all firearms are appearing on one letter, both pistols and rifles.
Quote:

Old 10-12-2017, 9:02 PM

Maybe it is to early to generalize about anything? The DOJ may not even be entirely consistent in the process initially as they struggle to get this process up and running
Old 10-13-2017, 7:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Under AB857 Cooper in regards to what is exempt from the DOJ mandated serial process it reads:

29181. Section 29180 does not apply to or affect any of the following:
(a) A firearm that has a serial number assigned to it pursuant to either Section 23910 or pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Part 1 of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(b) A firearm made or assembled prior to December 16, 1968, that is not a handgun.
(c) A firearm which was entered into the centralized registry set forth in Section 11106 prior to July 1, 2018, as being owned by a specific individual or entity if that firearm has assigned to it a distinguishing number or mark of identification to that firearm by virtue of the department accepting entry of that firearm into the centralized registry.
(d) A firearm that has a serial number assigned to it pursuant to Chapter 53 of Title 26 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(e) A firearm that is a curio or relic, or an antique firearm, as those terms are defined in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

There is no mention of the serial process in the law at all for RAW in SB880, they simply made it up in their regulations. The regulations do not stipulate any exemptions from their marking requirements. But if CA law dealing with un-serialized home built weapons grant people the ability to volreg before July 1st 2018 and be exempt from the AB857 marking requirements (which are the same as the SB880 process) then how can regulations prevent us from registering them as AW with out accepted volreg serial numbers?

Answer: Lawsuit.
Awesome, Thank you. I have already sent an email to Michele and Associates letting them know the situation, and I have sent an error message and wrote in the comment section in the application itself stating the situation and how I had requested a serial number from them multiple times in the months prior with no response and that they forced my hand due to this deployment. I then quoted the information in your post to tell them that they must accept the serial number. I guess the next step is to tell them that I have already contacted a lawyer and that if they don't set things right to expect contact from them.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
I was wrong on each weapon appearing in a separate letter, people are reporting all firearms are appearing on one letter, both pistols and rifles.
Have you heard of anyone receiving separate letters? I registered two rifles paid only one fee and the transaction history online is showing for both rifles but I just received a letter with only the first rifle information on it
The only other correspondence from them was an email letting me know it was being possessed and I would be receiving a letter in the mail.
Old 10-13-2017, 3:39 PM

Default AW Registration - The Complete Guide (everything we know so far)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmen17 View Post
Have you heard of anyone receiving separate letters? I registered two rifles paid only one fee and the transaction history online is showing for both rifles but I just received a letter with only the first rifle information on it

The only other correspondence from them was an email letting me know it was being possessed and I would be receiving a letter in the mail.

I registered some AW's online all in one session on the first day system went online and only received a confirmation email w header referencing one of them.

All Still show as pending and no final confirmation letter of AW reg on any of them
Old 10-13-2017, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmen17 View Post
Some have gotten letters with many firearms on them others have processed multiple firearms (on the same reg session) and gotten only 1 firearm listed. I don't know what is going on, hopefully those not listed were not rejected.
Quote:

Old 10-13-2017, 8:08 PM

I registered multiple rifles at once so I would only pay one $15.00 fee.
Two days ago on 10/11 I received one letter for only one of the rifles I registered (the rifle that I had registered first in the session) So I think it will be a separate letter for each rifle but not sure. Here's the letter I received.

Last edited by wavecraft; 10-13-2017 at 8:55 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark49 View Post
I went to Turners today and picked up my cheap 22

I looked at the break-open feature-less, and the way these AR-15s break open is really no biggie. The salesman said that there is a after market speed loader for this gun also. Anyone know about it?
Maybe this but it's for AR platform 5.56 and .308's
https://www.meanarms.com/
Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 PM

Ok thanks, I guess we'll just have to see if we get more letters.
I also noticed all are dated the same 10/5/2017
Old 10-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Can I register my guns and register as a co-registrant under the same form or do co-registrant forms need to be different?
Old 10-14-2017, 9:05 PM

Registered 6 rifles today. Also, registered my wife as co-registrant. Hope everything goes through.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
Registered 6 rifles today. Also, registered my wife as co-registrant. Hope everything goes through.
You tried to register your wife as RAW? She better have a valid serial number.
Quote:

Old 10-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You tried to register your wife as RAW? She better have a valid serial number.
I should have said my wife is a joint registrant. What serial number are you referring to? The serial numbers of the 6 rifles I registered, no?
Old 10-15-2017, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
I should have said my wife is a joint registrant. What serial number are you referring to? The serial numbers of the 6 rifles I registered, no?
I was referring to your wife's serial number. Just a little RAW humor. They don't accept wives, just guns. Even though you could make the case a spouse more dangerous than a gun most of the time.
Quote:

Old 10-16-2017, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was referring to your wife's serial number. Just a little RAW humor. They don't accept wives, just guns. Even though you could make the case a spouse more dangerous than a gun most of the time.
An exhaustive study of police records shows that no woman has ever shot her husband while he was doing the dishes. -Earl Wilson

Lefty videos
Revolver reloading: de Bethencourt ē Ayoob (lefty at 4:30)
Semi-auto handling: SIG SAUER Academy ē Gunsite Academy
Old 10-16-2017, 8:20 AM

Quote:

LOL, got it now. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Some have gotten letters with many firearms on them others have processed multiple firearms (on the same reg session) and gotten only 1 firearm listed. I don't know what is going on, hopefully those not listed were not rejected.
Yea.. just for reference, here's mine with all submissions one letter
Old 10-16-2017, 9:38 AM

There is a thread that states that a member had pre 2000 awb rifle listed on new registration. It would be interesting if that is common place.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1387174
Old 10-16-2017, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting item for consideration, perhaps: the day I submit the RAW application for my 80% pistol it gets denied due to having the wrong form for joint registration and not having a DOJ assigned serial number. I attach the proper joint registration form and resubmit it and it gets denied again due to the serial number in less than 24 hours. I send an error message and go into further detail in the comment section of the application itself and days later (even taking into consideration the weekend) the application still shows in process. Hopefully whoever is processing these actually read my message, realizes the situation and that the law is on my side and decides to go ahead and just accept the application with my personal serial number.
Old 10-16-2017, 7:25 PM

Hi guys it's been a while since Ive been on the site, has anyone been able to register an 80% pistol ? I did the whole zero round sled mag thing back years ago then put in 10 rounder but never got serial number or volreg , what is the next step ? I've used the search function but can't seem to find any info. Thanks a lot for any help
Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

You can't register home builds without a DOJ assigned serial number. Best you can do it avoid the process is to volreg now and then convert to featureless. That satisfies SB880 and AB857 (Cooper). Cooper has it written in the law firearms entered into a centralized registry prior to July 1st 2018 are exempt from the DOJ mandated unique serial number process.
Quote:

Old 10-17-2017, 10:32 AM

This is a great thread. Thanks for the info.
Registered 4 rifles today. We’ll see what happens

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
2A Foundation Life Member
Cal Guns Foundation Member

"If you live in California and you value your firearm rights then put your money where your mouth is!"
Old 10-17-2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
You can't register home builds without a DOJ assigned serial number. Best you can do it avoid the process is to volreg now and then convert to featureless. That satisfies SB880 and AB857 (Cooper). Cooper has it written in the law firearms entered into a centralized registry prior to July 1st 2018 are exempt from the DOJ mandated unique serial number process.

So pat pin for ar pistol makes featureless?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oc plumber View Post
So pat pin for ar pistol makes featureless?
"Featureless" doesn't exist for pistols. "Fixed mag" does exist so Patriot Pin, Franklin Armory DFM, FC Hook, etc. will make the AR pistol fixed mag again under the new law.
Old 10-18-2017, 6:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
"Featureless" doesn't exist for pistols. "Fixed mag" does exist so Patriot Pin, Franklin Armory DFM, FC Hook, etc. will make the AR pistol fixed mag again under the new law.
Featureless absolutely exists for pistols, it just can't be done for AR/AK pistols because of magazine location.

A "conventional" handgun (Glock, 1911, etc) without a threaded barrel is featureless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-18-2017, 6:21 AM

What does "Volreg" means? Thanks
Old 10-18-2017, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
What does "Volreg" means? Thanks
Voluntary Registration
Old 10-18-2017, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Is that currently being challenged in court?