Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-20-2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftone View Post
What do you feel about the LDS self reliance stores #10 canned supplies? They have cases of beans, rice, lentils, oats and other basic foods. Understood that my water supply would have to be kicked up for cooking those, but that is a given and I have plans to increase my H20 supply.

One more thought.

We did winter cleaning and have a bunch of everyday clothes that fit, but are no longer in the dress "rotation"
Instead of donating all of them, my wife asked about "vacuum packaging" the ones that are in better shape and keeping them in a tub of some sort. Silly idea or does it have some merit? How much does clothing compress in vacuum bags? The whole idea of cleaning was to gain storage and I don't want to just move these from one place to another.
I love the LDS stores for long term storage. They used to be a great deal when you could buy the product there in bulk, #10 cans, lids, oxygen absorbers, and borrow their can sealer and package the food yourself - unfortunately the government had to get involved & ruin that. They certainly are a good resource, but they're not always the best or cheapest. If you want rice sealed in a #10 can and that will last 30 years, then go to LDS; if you are starting out and still building a supply for the first year, then it's probably cheaper to just go buy a big bag of rice from Costco.

Then of course there is taste & quality. I'm not a fan of powdered milk - but I do like the LDS powdered milk, I love refried beans, but don't like the canned beans - LDS has dried refried beans that I love. On the other hand LDS sells dried apple chips - I prefer to go to a "u-pick" apple orchard nearby and get several bushels of apples, slice them, dehydrate them, & package them myself.

I would suggest downloading their order form and comparing prices; if their cheaper use them, if not then go to Costco/Sams Club. Once you've been stocking up a while and already have a full rotation of food stores in your cupboards and want more longer term storage, then LDS is the only way to go.

Once you get past the beginning stage I would also recommend you grow a garden and then get into home canning & dehydration.

As to your question about clothes - that depends on how much room you have. If you have an out of the way place to store that stuff, then sure, it doesn't hurt anything. On the other hand if your choice is I have space for excess clothes or a 1st aid kit but not both - then ditch the clothes.
Old 01-20-2018, 2:26 PM

Late thought: If you are going to go to the LDS cannery, maybe bring those clothes along as a goodwill donation.

Also another plus of LDS - if you are needing tips they are full of advice. Most of the volunteers there have been at this longer than most of us.
Old 01-20-2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I love the LDS stores for long term storage. They used to be a great deal when you could buy the product there in bulk, #10 cans, lids, oxygen absorbers, and borrow their can sealer and package the food yourself - unfortunately the government had to get involved & ruin that. They certainly are a good resource, but they're not always the best or cheapest. If you want rice sealed in a #10 can and that will last 30 years, then go to LDS; if you are starting out and still building a supply for the first year, then it's probably cheaper to just go buy a big bag of rice from Costco.

Then of course there is taste & quality. I'm not a fan of powdered milk - but I do like the LDS powdered milk, I love refried beans, but don't like the canned beans - LDS has dried refried beans that I love. On the other hand LDS sells dried apple chips - I prefer to go to a "u-pick" apple orchard nearby and get several bushels of apples, slice them, dehydrate them, & package them myself.

I would suggest downloading their order form and comparing prices; if their cheaper use them, if not then go to Costco/Sams Club. Once you've been stocking up a while and already have a full rotation of food stores in your cupboards and want more longer term storage, then LDS is the only way to go.

Once you get past the beginning stage I would also recommend you grow a garden and then get into home canning & dehydration.

As to your question about clothes - that depends on how much room you have. If you have an out of the way place to store that stuff, then sure, it doesn't hurt anything. On the other hand if your choice is I have space for excess clothes or a 1st aid kit but not both - then ditch the clothes.

Fair enough. I am not looking at a years supply of supplies. Having lived during the Northridge, Whittier and having family in the area of the Landers quake I am basing my needs for a family of 4 for a month.

Beans and rice are already purchased in bulk (we are Northern European Californian natives so it is a natural food desire ) so what I am looking at is longer term stuff I can buy, stack and forget from the LDS store. Thanks for the taste reviews on the various items. Helps making buying desisions.

Garden - we do the standard seasonal stuff - tomato, cucumbers, bell peppers, some fruit etc but haven't gotten into canning.

First aid - covered. Vehicles and house.

Storage - when I bought this house I put in a 10 x 20 Tuff Shed to which I ran power and insulated/dry walled. It sits 10 feet off my garage and has plenty of built-in storage for stuff. When I still was in the "Trades" it got full of supplies and tools. Not so much anymore. Been playing with the idea of installing a starter solar kit on the roof for back up battery/inverter power. Having fun researching all that
Old 01-20-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
Late thought: If you are going to go to the LDS cannery, maybe bring those clothes along as a goodwill donation.

Also another plus of LDS - if you are needing tips they are full of advice. Most of the volunteers there have been at this longer than most of us.
Great idea. Thank you. A LDS friend will be taking me to the one in Fountain Valley sometime this month.
Old 01-20-2018, 3:12 PM

Your in house prepping numbers look far more for a weekend storm than prepping.
Old 01-20-2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Great idea. Thank you. A LDS friend will be taking me to the one in Fountain Valley sometime this month.
You do not have to be a church member to shop there.
Old 01-20-2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Your in house prepping numbers look far more for a weekend storm than prepping.
I just started a month or so ago. Everyone has to start somewhere. Ultimately I would like to have supplies for 4 adults for a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
You do not have to be a church member to shop there.
I know. She just invited me to go with her.
Old 01-20-2018, 5:45 PM

Default Water storage

Something to consider, especially if you live downhill from the local municipal water supply...

(727) 784-6163 sales@waterbob.com
0 Items
WaterBOB

Home
Be Prepared
Order
FAQ
Newsroom
Contact

🔍
waterbob
WaterBob

$24.95

The waterBOB« is a water containment system that holds up to 100 gallons of fresh drinking water in any standard bathtub in the event of an emergency. Constructed of heavy duty food grade plastic, the waterBOB« keeps water fresh and clean for drinking, cooking, washing and flushing.
Quantity

Description Returns Instructions

Fits any standard bathtub
Holds up to 100 gallons of water
Includes a pump to dispense water into jugs or pitchers
Constructed from heavy duty food grade FDA approved plastic
Keeps water fresh and clean for up to 16 weeks
Easy to hook up to the bathtub faucet and fill in about 20 minutes
Designed for a one-time use and recyclable

Shipping Rates

U.S. (currently we only ship to the US)
$5.00 shipping lasts until Christmas!
1 WaterBob $5.00
2 WaterBobs $10.00
3 WaterBobs $15.00

For Questions or Wholesale Inquiries:

sales@waterbob.com

(800) 845-3098 or 727-784-6163
Click to Verify - This site has chosen a GeoTrust SSL Certificate to improve Web site security
Share: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google Plus Share by Email

ę Copyright 2018 Hunker Up, LLC - U.S. Patent 8,627,980 | Toll Free: (800) 845-3098, 727-784-6163 | Email: sales@waterbob.com | Tampa Web Design - Off the Page Creations
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=20c9730268&view=fimg&th=15ad3c387b7ea1aa& attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15ad3c34b07b03d5&a ttbid=ANGjdJ_GOwaOCfqt3OHKm7zY_mRBiORflleilym4tijR cuiC5hGws2oJLyDhF9PhQVXWMa7_jCP_uMAWxJrz5ef-HJcaRLRDzRANo5ScBq6Y0tJJfz6He0c6K0GPTDg&sz=w632-h880&ats=1489612610462&rm=15ad3c387b7ea1aa&zw&atsh =1
Old 01-20-2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I just started a month or so ago. Everyone has to start somewhere. Ultimately I would like to have supplies for 4 adults for a month.
A month is easier than you may think. 4 people for 30 days is a minimum of 120 gal of water, get 2 50 gal drums, & 4 five gallon jugs (I'd also get a water bob that can be filled in a hurry). Purchasing a months worth of food is not hard at all, I made a menu of a months supply of food for 2, I'll see if I can find it and post it.
Old 01-20-2018, 9:05 PM

Here is a shopping list and a menu for 30 days. I made the list for my fiancee shortly after we met, she followed it and it seemed to work well. I designed this for 2, so you'll have to double my quantities and modify some items for what your family will eat. Just go buy all this stuff, its all stuff with a long storage life, you'll eat it eventually. Then as you use stuff, replace it.

Costco:
Vitamins
Oatmeal
1 Lb bag of rice (I recommend long term storing much higher quantities)
Spaghetti noodles (8 pack)
Spaghetti Sauce (4 pack x 2)
Case of Sliced Mushrooms
Case of Black Olives
Mac & Cheese (15 box pack)
Chili(8 can pack) (x2)
Case of soup
Case of Canned Stew (or Chunky Soup)
Case of Green Beans (12 can pack)
Case of canned fruit (x2 – 2 different types)
Canned chicken (6 can pack x 2)
Canned beef (6 can pack)
Powdered Mashed Potatoes
Cartons of Chocolate Milk
Kirkland Vodka (3 large bottles)
Powdered Milk
Cereal (4 large boxes - different kinds)
8 Lbs Hamburger (canned in quart jars)

Wal-Mart:
Spaghetti Sauce (2 jars)
La Choy Chinese meals in a can (4)
La Choy Chinese vegetables in a can (4)
Hamburger Helper (6)
Manwich (2)
Bisquick pizza dough (6)
Bisquick cornbread mix (8)
Bisquick biscuit dough (8)
Scalloped Potatoes (2 boxes)
Dry Vermouth

.99 Store:
Green Tea (x2)
Chamomile Tea (x2)
BBQ Sauce (2)
Franks Red Hot (2)

Restaurant scrounging:
Ketchup
Parmesan Cheese
Crushed Red Pepper
Hot Sauce
Soy Sauce
Hot Mustard
Chili Sauce
Fortune Cookies

Menu:
Breakfast (31 meals – for 2)
Oatmeal w/Fruit & Chocolate Milk (19 meals)
Cereal (12 meals)

Lunch (31 meals – for 2)
Chili & Cornbread (8 meals)
Soup & Biskits (8 meals)
Mac & Cheese w/ Chicken (9 meals) (*Sun dried tomatoes & onions)
Mac & Cheese w/ Beef (6 meals) (*Sun dried tomatoes & onions)

Dinner (31 meals - for 2)
Spaghetti W/ mushrooms, black olives, & parmesean cheese(9 meals)
La Choy Chinese dinner w/ Veggies, Rice & Fortune Cookies (4 meals)
Hamburger Helper & Green Beans (6 meals)
Manwich, Scalloped Potatoes & Green Beans (2 meals)(make bread from Bisquick pizza dough)
BBQ Chicken pizza (2 meals)
Buffalo Chicken Pizza (2 meal)
Stew & Mashed Potatoes (6 meals)(Add Cornbread by adding 1 box of cornbread mix per meal)

Drinks
1 cup of green tea per person per day
1 Martini per person per day
1 cup of Chamomile tea per person per day

Additional Food storage items – off menu
Costco:
Pancake Mix
Hash Brown Cartons
Peanut Butter
Sugar
Taco Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Dried Diced Onion
Coffee in #10 cans
Peanut Butter Pretzels
Pub Mix
Pretzels
V-8 Cans
Olive Oil
Tuna Cans
Crackers
Snack Pack Pudding
Rice Crispy Treats
Granola Bars/Breakfast Bars
Beef Jerky

Wal-Mart:
Salsa
Syrup
Summer Sausage

.99 Store:
Ranch Dressing

Farmers Market:
Honey
Old 01-20-2018, 9:20 PM

A note on the coffee: a Costco #10 can of Kirkland coffee will make a pot a day for about 3 weeks. The average "use by" date on the cans is usually about 15 months out - so I figure keeping a years supply on hand is good. That makes 17 cans.

Another note: If you purchase all this stuff and get the all the stuff you normally get while shopping - you can go to the store half as often. Shopping like this can save you both time & money being prepared for a disaster is an additional bennefit.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 PM

I would suggest that you avoid lifestraw filters. They have great marketing but poor execution. Sawyer filters are in the same price range and are more versatile. I have several sawyer minis for family members and a couple of the high volume bucket connection ones. If you want something small that will fit in a small pouch Aquamira makes really good ones that will filter around 20 gallons and have a charcoal chamber to kill any funky taste. I got some of those for under $7.

Get some of the 20000+ mAh battery banks. RAV power and Anker are the best. Then get some inexpensive LED light that you can run off the banks. A small folding solar panel will keep them going forever. Some of the LED lights that look like old style light bulbs come with a small solar panel and can be found for under $10.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 AM

I am about halfway through the book "The Road" and I'm not sure that anything is a must have.
Old 02-14-2018, 8:04 AM

^^^ Must have quality blades and sharpening stone.
Old 02-15-2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
^^^ Must have quality blades and sharpening stone.
I think I have that covered.

The one on the right (Randall #1) stays with my BOB. I think that qualifies as a quality blade and it comes with a sharpening stone. The one on the left stays in my truck. Navy Mk1. Also has a stone with it.

Always have a Benchmade folder with me.