Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Is AR500 armor legal in CA?

I searched and saw nothing saying it was not.

https://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/ will only sell to LEO.

Thoughts?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Armor in general is prohibited to 'prohibited persons'; otherwise, restrictions are up to the seller, not imposed by law. Lots of code on LE agencies acquiring, specs and such, but just the 1 ownership restriction at PC 31360(a)
Quote:

(a) A person who has been convicted of a violent felony under the laws of the United States, the State of California, or any other state, government, or country, who purchases, owns, or possesses body armor, as defined in Section 16288, except as authorized under subdivision (b), is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in state prison for 16 months, or two or three years.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

It's funny... in my group of local gun-nuts the general idea was that it was going to be illegal, and it turns out everyone thought that because of a guy at the gun shows with a sign saying to "buy it before it's banned!"
Old 02-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigEquinox View Post

Thoughts?
As long as you aren't a prohibited person, you are GTG. Buy from someone else, there are other vendors out there that will sell to non-LEO/MIL, or check the second hand market. My first set of plates was AR500 lvl 3 to save some money, but when I upgraded my set for my "the sky is falling" PC, I grabbed a set of 8x10 shooters cut velocity systems lvl 4 ceramic plates, literally 1.5 months old from manufacture date, BNIB via arfcom for $350 shipped.
Old 02-12-2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej6fade View Post
As long as you aren't a prohibited person, you are GTG. Buy from someone else, there are other vendors out there that will sell to non-LEO/MIL, or check the second hand market. My first set of plates was AR500 lvl 3 to save some money, but when I upgraded my set for my "the sky is falling" PC, I grabbed a set of 8x10 shooters cut velocity systems lvl 4 ceramic plates, literally 1.5 months old from manufacture date, BNIB via arfcom for $350 shipped.
I agree and I will do just that. I do feel, however, that companies that choose to sell only to LEO should be exposed so that LEOs can choose to not give them their business so they can avoid supporting misguided elitism. Hence my post
Old 02-12-2018, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Thoughts?
They must have changed their policy then because I have purchased from them before. Have you tried to buy from them and got declined?

I believe if you fill out the form here: http://www.getmeverifiednow.com/

And mark other & use lawful self protection as reason and provide a copy of your CDL you can buy from them. Call and ask them.

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 02-12-2018 at 2:35 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
It's funny... in my group of local gun-nuts the general idea was that it was going to be illegal, and it turns out everyone thought that because of a guy at the gun shows with a sign saying to "buy it before it's banned!"
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...-bill/378/text

They tried and who knows if they will try again.....
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
They must have changed their policy then because I have purchased from them before. Have you tried to buy from them and got declined?

I believe if you fill out the form here: http://www.getmeverifiednow.com/

And mark other & use lawful self protection as reason and provide a copy of your CDL you can buy from them. Call and ask them.
I did all of that, was declined, and then sent an email expressing my dissatisfaction that ended up on the CEO's desk. He responded. We agreed to disagree, but again, I think people should know about companies that will only sell to the 'elite' so all of us, including the elite, can choose to not give them business. I especially took issue with Mr. Moses' inclusion of an American Flag in his .sig file in that he does not sell to law-abiding Americans, but rather a small subset that are LEO/First Responders.

-------------------

Brad,

Thanks so much for the timely return of your authorization paperwork for your armor purchase.

I saw that you included your drivers license for this. We do have a policy requiring professional use, which would be Police, Fire/EMS, Security, Military or other professional use.

Please provide a professional ID From such an industry or a letter from an employer outlining your need for ballistic equipment.

If you have any questions you can call or email me directly.

Thanks,

Shawn Moses

FF2 / NREMT Basic
Retail Manager

Body Armor Outlet, LLC

Toll Free: 1-888-884-2427 ext. 608

Fax: 603-843-5075

Shawn@bodyarmoroutlet.com

www.bodyarmoroutlet.com
Description: BRFlag

Last edited by SigEquinox; 02-13-2018 at 11:34 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

The problem with that policy is: a boycott does no good, as they already don't sell to us. :-(

(and cops are not about to give up their special status in society...)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
The problem with that policy is: a boycott does no good, as they already don't sell to us. :-(

(and cops are not about to give up their special status in society...)
I realize a boycott will likely do nothing in the grand scheme of things. Yet I still felt compelled to bring it to people's attention here and also believe there are indeed LEO and others who don't think of themselves as better than the rest of us and would avoid buying from a company like this. Perhaps I am just hopelessly optimistic and naive.

The apparent CEO/owners name is Ray Bellia and email ray@bodyarmoroutlet.com

Last edited by SigEquinox; 02-13-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I did all of that, was declined, and then sent an email expressing my dissatisfaction that ended up on the CEO's desk. He responded. We agreed to disagree, but again, I think people should know about companies that will only sell to the 'elite' so all of us, including the elite, can choose to not give them business. I especially took issue with Mr. Moses' inclusion of an American Flag in his .sig file in that he does not sell to law-abiding Americans, but rather a small subset that are LEO/First Responders.

-------------------

Brad,

Thanks so much for the timely return of your authorization paperwork for your armor purchase.

I saw that you included your drivers license for this. We do have a policy requiring professional use, which would be Police, Fire/EMS, Security, Military or other professional use.

Please provide a professional ID From such an industry or a letter from an employer outlining your need for ballistic equipment.

If you have any questions you can call or email me directly.

Thanks,

Shawn Moses

FF2 / NREMT Basic
Retail Manager

Body Armor Outlet, LLC

Toll Free: 1-888-884-2427 ext. 608

Fax: 603-843-5075

Shawn@bodyarmoroutlet.com

www.bodyarmoroutlet.com
Description: BRFlag

Nice to know thanks for the info I will now remove them from my favorites.
Old 02-13-2018, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

OP if you use the code 21years here https://highcomarmor.com/collections/plates

You can get 21% off your Oder
Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 PM

I purchased my BA from them a year or two ago at the local gun show. I donít recall having to show any type of LEO/Security identification for the purchase. Almost everyone that they were assisting as I purchased mine were civilians. Plus there were no signs stating it was for sale to LEO only
Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM

I have some extra AR500 plates if you are interested. PM me if you want. I have bought from them several times with no issues.