Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-15-2012, 8:42 PM

Default Afghans Attack Base, Kill two Marines, Destroy 6 Jets

Sorry if this is a dupe, but i searched "harrier" and didn't find anything.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-u.s-uniforms/

Quote:
Updated 9:29 PM ET

(AP) WASHINGTON - Coalition military authorities in Afghanistan say the insurgents who attacked a British airfield in southwestern Afghanistan on Friday, killing two U.S. Marines, wore U.S. Army uniforms and destroyed six Harrier fighter jets.

They said in a statement Saturday that about 15 insurgents carried out the attack, describing the attack as well coordinated by insurgents who were "well equipped, trained and rehearsed." Fourteen of the 15 were killed. One was captured.

They said attackers penetrated the base's perimeter and were armed with automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers and suicide vests. Besides destroying six planes, they destroyed three refueling stations on the base and damaged six aircraft hangars.

Coalition authorities have not yet identified the two Marines killed. Eight military members and one civilian contractor were also injured in the assault.

I spent my first 5 years working in VMA-513 (the squadron two blocks away on the same base). We spent a year in afghanistan (oct 2002- sep 2003) because our replacements got sent to OIF.

The entire time we were there, we only got attacked a few times. But nothing on this scale.

Two Marines and one civilian contractor dead, it doesn't specify what their duties were.

6 harriers were destroyed. That's the entire detachment for most deployments.

And the fact that the attackers wore US Army clothing....

You have no idea how angry i am right now.
Old 09-15-2012, 8:49 PM

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. We have become so complacent and trusting of TCN's that I am surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner.

Old 09-15-2012, 8:55 PM

^^This

When I was at A-stan in 09', there were TCNs just about everywhere in the base had all kinds of assess to communication, hazard materials like fuel and stuff
Old 09-15-2012, 8:59 PM

Well, i agree with that. When we were there in 02-03, low ranking troops like myself were placed on "hadji watch." Our job? To sit in the cab of the pump trucks while the locals drove from camp to camp sucking toothpaste water out of the drainage ditches.

We relied on local nationals to work our chow hall, too. I remember the morning i spent several hours in the portajohn because they had slipped strychnine into the chow. (just enough to make us sick collectively. i don't think there were any deaths.)

some soldiers also found explosives under the chow tent while they were chasing an errant football.

It's ridiculous how we trust LNs in hostile zones.
Old 09-15-2012, 9:15 PM

Sccrew Them all my bro just got in country with 2/7. And i am trying to get a deployment through reserves but harder then i thought.
HM3 John D. House, HN Aaron A. Kent, HM2 Cesar O. Baez, HM3 Travis Youngblood, HM3 Christopher W. Thompson, HM2 Allan M. Cundanga Espiritu (True Heros)
Old 09-15-2012, 9:57 PM

US Uniforms are very easy to come by, All you have to do is place a order with the right company in china and you get nice looking ACU's Marpat and any other uniforms you are looking at.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laabstract View Post
US Uniforms are very easy to come by, All you have to do is place a order with the right company in china and you get nice looking ACU's Marpat and any other uniforms you are looking at.
Very true. I was in country in 2010 when the wave of suicide attacks increased including the Kabul and Bagram bases getting hit hard by large, coordinated attacks like this where the attackers wore military uniforms. Six Germans working with us were killed when a dude blew himself up on a patrol with us. If we had taken point that time it would have been us.
Old 09-16-2012, 6:38 AM

It was only a matter of time. When we were leaving Iraq in 06, a lot of people were trowing their uniforms in the trash, because we were getting new ones to replace them in country. The LNs would dig them out of the trash. That stopped right away when our 1SG had us burn the uniforms we didn't want.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMerc View Post

It's ridiculous how we trust LNs in hostile zones.
That's what happens when wars are run by those that call the defeated "host nations"
Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I haven't read of military news as rage-inducing as this is since the SEAL team chopper got shot down by Taliban.

Whoever was present as the acting authority of that airfield needs to get his *** chewed out, to be fooled by afghans in US Army BDUs.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 09-20-2012, 7:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The entire war effort in the middle east is based on false premises. The fact is that everyone there is a potential terrorist/freedom fighter. They locals don't want us there and don't need us there. Yet we are training them as if they are going to be an ally.

It's time to get out.
Old 09-20-2012, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

That is what Afgans do best. The soviets can't do it neither can the U.S. . Name the last war since WW II the U.S. won? All the money and resources wasted . Well the corporations profited as well as the politicians who received the lobby money did real good.
Old 09-20-2012, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
Name the last war since WW II the U.S. won?
Invasion of Grenada.

Invasion of Panama.

Operation Desert Storm.

Although Desert Storm was half-assed, since they had to go back and 'liberate' Iraq over 10 years later by ousting the madman the U.S. put there in the first place. They should have gone all the way back in 1991.

I guess you could also count the 2003 Invasion of Iraq and Afghan war, although the insurgency afterwards renders the victories a Pyrrhic one.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
Invasion of Grenada.

Invasion of Panama.

Operation Desert Storm.

Although Desert Storm was half-assed, since they had to go back and 'liberate' Iraq over 10 years later by ousting the madman the U.S. put there in the first place. They should have gone all the way back in 1991.

I guess you could also count the 2003 Invasion of Iraq and Afghan war, although the insurgency afterwards renders the victories a Pyrrhic one.
So not really any victorys eh!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
So not really any victorys eh!
Depends on your definition of 'victory.'

A battle or war won at that time counts, but if you take into account the long term effects after certain wars, some countries are better off despite being the loser, and some are worse off despite being the victor in war.

For instance, after the Spanish-American war, in which the U.S. defeated Spain and effectively ended the Spanish empire, Spain actually ended up becoming more economically stable afterwards, because of Spaniards in Cuba and America re-investing in Spain, which helped to develop the country's modern steel, chemical, financial, mechanical, textile, shipyard, and electrical power industries.
Quote:
Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

We won the Battle of Mogadishu.

We've never lost anything in a tactical sense. It's the fallout and politics that do it in.
Old 09-21-2012, 9:33 AM

Time to turn this place into glass...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
Depends on your definition of 'victory.'

A battle or war won at that time counts, but if you take into account the long term effects after certain wars, some countries are better off despite being the loser, and some are worse off despite being the victor in war.

For instance, after the Spanish-American war, in which the U.S. defeated Spain and effectively ended the Spanish empire, Spain actually ended up becoming more economically stable afterwards, because of Spaniards in Cuba and America re-investing in Spain, which helped to develop the country's modern steel, chemical, financial, mechanical, textile, shipyard, and electrical power industries.
Cept they just went so to say bankrupt??????? Only a fool wages / goes to war without possibility of profit. I am now seated with a debt to pay for such foolish wars of no benefit of profit and who is to blame. Sorry this is a sore subject for me.

Last edited by Sunday; 09-21-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Prayers are with the families... We are too complacent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 AM

Apparently they were looking for Prince Harry...maybe they should ask him to visit in a longbow?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_16...in;contentBody
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRiT636 View Post
Apparently they were looking for Prince Harry...maybe they should ask him to visit in a longbow?

The reasons for the attacks grows. Soon there will be a reason that all will be happy with. I would say it is George Bushes fault.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx77057 View Post
I agree! Its not the equipment or mindset of the servicemen.
If we truely unleashed the fullpower of the US military, we could take over most countries in very short order.

its the political will, (or lack there of), by our congress, and Commander in Chief.
Also alot of Senior staff in the military, who have become 'junior politicans' and could care less about the average 'boots on the ground' servicemen and women.

to me, it seemed to start during Korea, when MaCarther was removed from office for wanting to do a 'total war' concept, from that point forward, it seemed like the political will of the leadership went downhill.

just my 2 cents.
I remember Vietnam was wastes all when I saw the Vietnam wall at the State Capital I looked up the names of some of the people I knew who were killed in action . I cried . What a waste of lives and money. I wish we would learn but we do not teach our children not to waste.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM

I cant believe its not bigger news....6 Harriers is a serious dollar value. RIP to those killed.
Old 09-21-2012, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

Someone please remind me of why we're still in the sandbox? The original mission objectives have been achieved - Saddam and Osama are both dog food now and the locals don't want us there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I'd bet my paycheck that if were in the same war with Japan now as we were back in 45, only with the "political leadership" we have now, there is no way we'd use a nuke. Definitely not twice. Our politicians don't have the stomach to authorize clear victories, so our troops operate with their hands tied, and a lot of them get to die because of that.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 09-21-2012, 2:12 PM

Semper Fi Brothers RIP
HM3 John D. House, HN Aaron A. Kent, HM2 Cesar O. Baez, HM3 Travis Youngblood, HM3 Christopher W. Thompson, HM2 Allan M. Cundanga Espiritu (True Heros)
Old 09-21-2012, 5:08 PM

I am currently on Camp Leatherneck. I was on watch when that whole fiasco went down. I was watching Helo shooting those bad guys via drones and whatnot. Pretty crazy night.

NRA Life Member...Are you?!?!

Can't wait to be DEEP SEA!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson 1787

Old 09-21-2012, 5:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
I am currently on Camp Leatherneck. I was on watch when that whole fiasco went down. I was watching Helo shooting those bad guys via drones and whatnot. Pretty crazy night.
I thought they infiltrated the base. They were firing Hellfires into the base?
Old 09-21-2012, 6:36 PM

no drones were not firing hellfires into Bastion. Drones and other aerial camera devices were just watching as gunners from Helos were mowing down terrorists with .50 cals.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson 1787

Old 09-21-2012, 6:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Fiasco is right. Along with the aircraft losses, a squadron commander (LTC) was killed.
Old 09-21-2012, 6:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
No, too high tech for these 'people'.
Bring back decimation.
Take a village and have them line up along a road, every man woman and child.
Then kill every tenth 'person'. Let the villagers clean up and then just leave.
If there is another attack, do it again.

These 'people' do not hold the same things to be true that we do. They only understand strength.
We are either going to be stronger, and demonstrate it, or we will be seen as weak and ripe for attacking.

I personally volunteer for one of the decimation squads. Im feelin glassy black HMMWV's...
Old 09-21-2012, 7:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
no drones were not firing hellfires into Bastion. Drones and other aerial camera devices were just watching as gunners from Helos were mowing down terrorists with .50 cals.
Kiowas were firing .50 into the base??? That seems even odder haha.

Glad you're ok, stay safe buddy.
Old 09-21-2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 View Post
Kiowas were firing .50 into the base??? That seems even odder haha.

Glad you're ok, stay safe buddy.
No Kiowas, Its a Marine corps and British base. There were Hueys and Cobras shooting terrorists inside the wire. And a few Brit Apaches.

Old 09-21-2012, 7:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
No Kiowas, Its a Marine corps and British base. There were Hueys and Cobras shooting terrorists inside the wire. And a few Brit Apaches.
The Huey has a .50 mounted? Interesting. That's crazy they were firing into the base. Were guys inside not going after them? Talk about danger close.
Old 09-21-2012, 8:14 PM

most people inside were on Lock down.

Old 09-21-2012, 8:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
most people inside were on Lock down.
Damn that's crazy. Very different SOPs. Glad they got all of them.
Old 09-21-2012, 8:17 PM

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Q9QEwBw&dur=72

http://www.patricksaviation.com/phot.../24855/?l=000;

Last edited by Tjfearl; 09-21-2012 at 8:24 PM..
Old 09-21-2012, 8:19 PM

Most SOP's fly out the window when the SHTF

Old 09-21-2012, 8:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
My favorite saying: No plan survives first contact.
Old 09-21-2012, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It was unclear what the insurgents hoped to accomplish in attacking Camp Bastion, one of the largest and most heavily defended military facilities in Afghanistan.
Obviously not.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2012, 9:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
No doubt but if mine had gotten infiltrated we would not be locked down in (I'm assuming you have buildings and not tents) buildings wondering where they were, we would go after them. The whole situation is just odd to me given my personal experiences but no two situations are the same.