Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Pistol for wife?????

My wife would like to take a NRA Women on Target class or another women only class. She has never shot a pistol before. In most of the women classes you can shoot .22. I think it might be better to learn a .22 first. My Glock 19 seems to be to big for her hands. I know some of the classes provide firearms but I would like to take her out to the range before she takes the class.
What pistol would you recommend for her???
Ruger 22/45
Ruger SR22
Smith MP .22
ISSC M22
This is also a REALLY good excuse for buying another gun!!

Last edited by mikeinla; 05-05-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Start with a .22 and gauge her interests.
Then look for something that fits her hand a little larger.
My sons girlfriend just bought a S&W M&P 9MM
Fits her small hands well.
Any excuse you canget by with to buy a new gun is a good one.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:16 AM

"Pistol of Wife"???
Old 05-05-2013, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangemasterP226 View Post
"Pistol of Wife"???
Auto correct on phone.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depending on how long she has to wait for a class, I'll suggest NOT taking her out first. There's nothing worse than having to unteach someone something before you can teach them the correct way. Besides, teaching a spouse is not easy for either party and can cause other problems. That said, we can set up a one on one, informal, intro class the middle of June or after if she's up for it. As far as a new gun goes, it will completely depend on what fits HER the best. I would wait until she has a little experience and a better understanding of what will work for her.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 05-05-2013, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Arrow

None of the above. I'd suggest starting out with a Ruger SP 101 in 22 LR, 4.2" barrel revolver. Start simple and slow to hone skils, then add caliber and speed as her interest grows.

That formula works well.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 05-08-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 1:28 PM

I'll second what CSACANNONEER said. Wait until your wife has taken her class and then see if she still has further intrest in shooting or not.

My wife and a friend of hers took a WoT handgun class and while my wife has continued her intrest in shooting to the point of getting her own Glock 19, her friend hasn't been shooting more than once since the class. The funny thing is the friend was the one who drug my wife to go with her to the class.

Once your wife becomes comfortable a bit with shooting, take her to a range that has rentals and let her shoot a number of handguns then let her pick out the one she likes not what you would think she will.

Alos WoT on target classes are great for an introduction to shooting but if your wife wants to continue shooting then find a good local instructor to help solidify the fundamentals afterwards.
Old 05-06-2013, 8:47 AM

I'm not going to address all the other advice going on in this thread. I took my wife to a store and put numerous pistols (glocks, kimbers, xds, S&W, HK) in her hand. Once she narrowed down what felt good in her hand, we took a couple out to shoot. I told her to not worry about how she was shooting with the pistol because it is a range gun and is wrecked anyways.

After everything is said and done, she chose a S&W M&P 9. She loves it. Additionally, I also love it.
Old 05-06-2013, 9:14 AM

took my gf to the basic handgun class and she loved the g19. she had never shot a handgun before and had been very nervous. Now she wants to get her own G19 im so proud.
Old 05-12-2013, 5:32 PM

ive put quite a few different pistols in my wifes hands from .45s .357 mags to 9mm and .22lr. Just giving advice on pistol choice id go for the 22/45 (i have one myself) personally. If you cant shoot with a 22/45 target you just cant shoot. besides if she ends up not liking shooting that much now you have a nice 22 pistol thats very sellable.
Old 05-12-2013, 5:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atekhed View Post
I'll second what CSACANNONEER said. Wait until your wife has taken her class and then see if she still has further intrest in shooting or not.

My wife and a friend of hers took a WoT handgun class and while my wife has continued her intrest in shooting to the point of getting her own Glock 19, her friend hasn't been shooting more than once since the class. The funny thing is the friend was the one who drug my wife to go with her to the class.

Once your wife becomes comfortable a bit with shooting, take her to a range that has rentals and let her shoot a number of handguns then let her pick out the one she likes not what you would think she will.

Alos WoT on target classes are great for an introduction to shooting but if your wife wants to continue shooting then find a good local instructor to help solidify the fundamentals afterwards.
^^^

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 05-12-2013, 6:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I took my old lady to the range last night to let her try out a few different options for her first pistol... Glock19, S&W Mp9, Sig226 in 9mm, XD 9, Kimber .45.

She said she felt most comfortable in the S&W mp9 but shot her best group with the kimber... My next goal is to find a 1911 in 9mm but prefer the price tag of the S&W
Old 05-13-2013, 7:03 AM
Banned

New shooters, male or female, have to learn how to shoot first. That means the fundamentals of stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Generally speaking you start with the largest frame handgun in the most manageable caliber. Most women have smaller hands so grip and finger placement are comprised by double stack pistols. I always start students with a Ruger 22/45. It has a slim grip and good trigger position. Noise and recoil is minimal so focus can be on the basics and not anticipating recoil and noise. They also are flawless in function as they function from a fixed barrel and they are affordable. You will have always have use for a .22LR if not just for accuracy work. After the first 4 hours, then everyone gets a chance on a Glock, 1911 and revolver. I can teach anyone how to shoot well, and no matter what platform we working from, but gun choice is personal.
Old 05-13-2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgasser View Post
I took my old lady to the range last night to let her try out a few different options for her first pistol... Glock19, S&W Mp9, Sig226 in 9mm, XD 9, Kimber .45.

She said she felt most comfortable in the S&W mp9 but shot her best group with the kimber... My next goal is to find a 1911 in 9mm but prefer the price tag of the S&W
I would say just teach her to shoot better. 1911s are for people who can shoot extremely well in a competition setting, people who want a really pretty gun, people who have horrible fundamentals, and people with small penises.
Old 05-16-2013, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Pistol for wife?????
Reminds me of a joke:

One day as President Clinton was getting off the helicopter in front of the White House, he had a baby pig under each arm.

The Marine guard snapped to attention, salutes, and said: ''Nice pigs, sir.''

The President replied, ''These are not pigs, these are authentic Arkansas Razorback Hogs. I got one for Hillary, and I got one for Chelsea.''

The Marine again snapped to attention, saluted, and replied, ''Nice trade, sir.'''
Old 05-16-2013, 8:48 AM

dltd

Last edited by gc61132l; 06-13-2013 at 2:11 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 9:01 AM

FWIW my GF tried a few different guns Glock M&P etc, she now uses a 1911 in 9mm with slim grips. She likes the weight of the gun and also being able to get a lot of skin on the gun for good grip/control. She has done a few action pistol matches and enjoyed herself.
Old 05-21-2013, 6:49 AM

I'm a women, and I have shot (and love) in the .22 line, the Ruger SR22, SIG Mosquito, and SIG 1911 .22.

But....as quickly as I got into the .22, I continued up the line, and 1911's (.45) are my favorite (Kimber Customer, Kimber Pro, Sig TTT, Springfield GI).

I do have the S&W M&P9 and the Ruger SR9c, and I enjoy them both, but prefer the full size over the compact when at the range. I also love the .40 cal.

So the moral of the story is, for men choosing a gun for their woman, follow the advice on these forums...let the gal take her time to look, touch, and shoot. Don't assume that since she is a woman, she'll need a .22. My first gun was the Ruger SR22, but I much more enjoy the 1911 .45 now....so my husband and I create "22 Days" and "1911 Days" and "Rifle Days" at the range...and it's fun!

Most women who are coming from a no gun background need to get over the fear of the "idea" of shooting AND the fear of the sound and anticipated kick.

Once that happens, and shooting becomes fun, let the gal just explore and learn at her own pace...you may be surprised. My husband was!

And, have your gal take a private class by an instructor who knows how to teach. It doesn't matter of the teacher is a guy or gal, they just need to know who to teach and be patient...and be ok with a tone of questions.

I've taken two private lessons, and now I'm confident to be doing my thing at the range, with my husband next to me...he doesn't watch over me anymore...and that is really nice...and my fears are gone....just a whole lot of respect for the sport!

...just thought I'd share my experience!
Old 05-21-2013, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinla View Post
My wife would like to take a NRA Women on Target class or another women only class. She has never shot a pistol before. In most of the women classes you can shoot .!
Kudos for encouraging her to take the class. Everyone should be gun safe, even non-shooters should be gun-safe. This advice may not be well received, or contrary to personal belief, so take it as you will.

There is a weird dynamic between a husband and wife that makes it difficult for a husband to train their wife. I have spoke about this with some of the most respected well know trainers in America. I can tell you, until your wife becomes very proficient or an expert, you are not helping. Even the best instructors in the world don't train their own wives. They let other great trainers they respect do it. She will stay engaged longer, be more attentive, become comfortable, not be intimidated, not feel like she is letting you down, if you are out of the picture as much as possible. During class she can make a mistake and never tell you and you will never know. There will be tons of debriefing going on afterwards, so don't worry she will tell you most everything. Afterwards, don't contradict when she doesn't understand everything completely. She is excited to finally begin to speak firearm-eze language to you. She will continue with follow up events and become a much better shooter if you are encouraging but absent. She will become more and more involved, as she becomes less and less ignorant of guns and their functions. This is just one of those things she will one day enjoy if you play your cards right. Don't be that husband standing next to her telling her, "dont jerk the trigger", or "slow press to the rear", or "front sight..just watch the front sight". All good and necessary advice, however your not helping. I see those men all too often. I have story upon story of how and why wives never return. Who wants to let down their significant other. If rarely if ever works. So many husbands are to blame for wives never going to a second class again. Even wives that mistakenly want their husbands/boyfriends to be there to help, loose from this dynamic. It for whatever reason just doesn't work well most every time I have seen it.

If you go out and buy her gun, and gear you have removed what is to be a very personal purchase. It may be thought of as your gun that she uses, because it is what you thought would work well. I suggest you pick out a purse and shoes to go with it, since you know what she wants. There are not many bad guns in a gun store these days. They all make guns that rate good to great. If she makes a poor selection. Just grin and bear it. Encourage her to get one that feels right, points well, can work the action. Have her pick each up off the counter and buy the one that just feel right. DOnt let the price persuade her. Safe up and let her get the one show wants. Then thank the Lord later she didn't select the Hi-Point, but got the M&P.22 knowing it is the same grip and function for when she chooses to upgrade to a center-fire M&P
[back on topic] lol
This will not be her last purchase, so don't get too wrapped up in the first one. My wife's first gun was a P226, she knew from listening to me the heavy ones are easier to shoot and control. Light little cute ones are hard to handle, hold, work, and not so cute as the beat the crap out of you hand, wrist and arm. My wife had a Glock, H&K, S&W, Sig, Ruger, and more, all laying on the counter at the same time, she kept picking each up and taking a sight picture. She continued eliminating each that didn't just feel right or had difficult to lock open slides. She kept uttering, I don't know, hoping I would make the decision for her. I asked her what question she had and answered each truthfully.

If done well, she will continue to be a partner that encourages your firearm passion much more. Even better yet may become your shooting buddy. +1 for reading to the bottom of this. Best of luck.