Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Men piss me the eff off sometimes

Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.

Last edited by Maddog5150; 04-27-2009 at 7:14 PM..
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The next time they come, can you, please, ask them how they managed to make their girlfriend/wife/etc. shoot .22?

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 04-25-2009, 4:52 AM

My first responses is "Well my mom is 55 and carries a P99 in .40."

Then I try to gauge how much they want to shoot/train with it. I push everyone who wants it "just in case" and has no interest on shooting toward revolvers for the simplicity. The lack of safeties, magazines, cocking, ect... all are beneficial in an emergency when you have not trained recently. I usually recommend 357 but tell them to load it with 38+p for the 357 frame will help with the recoil it is and it will still allow the (tool) they brought with them to fire off some magnum and still feel like the tough guy he is. Last thing I want is to sell someone a gun they won't figure out in a panic and won't go bang when they need it to.

Those who are interested in shooting I always send to local range and tell them to try out as many handguns as they can in....38...9...40....45. I tell them to find one that feels good in the hand, one that does scare them when it goes bang, and one they get on paper the best with. Then I tell them to please come back and buy it from me.

If any ladies have anything else I should add please let me know.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

ticks me off when guys here at calguns post that they want the female in their life to have a gun and then it really seems what they're wanting is an excuse to buy the gun they really want. they'll ask another man's opinion rather than asking a woman. and they don't take the woman in question to a range to fire the guns herself and get her involved in the process.

also, i didn't buy at a bay area shop recently because while i get decent service when i go in by myself, the last time my hubby went with me and while the gun was my idea and for me [i'd been in to see it before], all the eye contact and conversation was directed to hubby. and i was a repeat customer having bought two used guns there prior to my hubby ever stepping into the place.

thanks for your post! guys say they want women involved in the "sport" and 2nd amendment issues but their actions speak louder.

mz
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

"i want a 22 for the wife"

Oh yea? you afraid she will out shoot you?

let him turn red..
Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe they figure they'd have a better chance of surviving a shot from a .22

Damn. Darklyte beat me to it.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

My gf would kick me if I suggested a 22 for self defense
She prefers the feel of a full size 45 acp
Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Maybe the customer is pissed that you aren't listening to what they want and subjecting them to an opinion/agenda? (Trying to be helpful here...)

Last edited by WallyGeorge; 04-25-2009 at 11:58 AM..
Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post

Damn. Darklyte beat me to it.
I think Darklyte was saying the wife will out shoot the man,

your stating the wife will shoot the man.

If Scenario 2 is more likely, don't get her one.....
Old 04-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I am building my lady a Ar pistol in 5.56 as we speak to protect her at home.... So I am with you.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just get me the ladies' phone numbers is all I ask -
Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyGeorge View Post
Maybe the customer is pissed that you aren't listening to what they want and subjecting them to an opinion/agenda? (Trying to be helpful here...)
There is nothing wrong with suggesting an alternate and trying to explain it.. Now, if you keep harping on it after they have heard your suggestion and decined it, then they may be justified in being upset.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Why is it douchebags always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.
You're obviously trying to steal their women... Be a team player. Even if she's an IPSC champ, sell her the .22, it's the proper thing.
When I say people though, I am referring to fellow Americans who have jobs and trucks and guns and consider taking a day or two off work to drive to the boonies and let the lead out. The other 6.something billion of humanity is totally suspect, though.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL. Your right. Im trying to steal these women who are old enough to be my mother. No offense but I'm not as old as I feel :P
I always ask what they are using the firearm for. If its just target shooting I butt out.
More often than not its to protect the home. My mother is almost sixty and uses a 357.
lol. I even brought up the mock trial of the guy from back east who actually shot someone with a .22 and it bouncing off his head
Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just a thought. Has any one of you ever considered that it's a good idea for a new shooter to start with a .22?

My girlfriend and I got our first two handguns (at her insistence, actually, she wanted to learn how to shoot) a year ago; a Glock 35 and a Taurus Tracker 627. The idea was that we'd also get a .22 conversion kit for Glock 35 that she'll start learning on, but to make the long story short we only got our first .22 some months later. In the meantime she ended up initially not liking the Taurus (that's changed though) and loving the G35. However, she's acquired a lot of bad habits as a result of starting off with a bigger round. It took a .22 handgun (which she doesn't like and calls a firecracker. I had to almost force her to use it to correct her bad habits (almost, for you don't force a Scandinavian woman with a gun in her hands if long-term survival is your goal)), a misfire in one of our 9mm, and a lot of work for her to get rid of those habits. The habits that could've been avoided if she started off with a .22.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292

Last edited by nick; 04-25-2009 at 1:01 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ive taught many many people to shoot for the first time with a 9. I understand that a 22 will be good to start and learn off of but why does that even have to be genderspecific? Guys thinks its ok to hand thier buddies a 45 off the bat. We are fifty years beyond that. Women can do all sorts of things. Also, he wanted to get her something for HOME DEFENSE.
Old 04-25-2009, 1:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, I saw that in your original post, and I had no problem with bashing the people who do that. It was just funnyhow many people here jumped on the bashing bandwagon without even a shred of doubt.

That being said, I still think that sing .22 for learning or teaching how to shoot is the best way to go. It helps people avoid many mistakes, and less money is wasted in the process.

Old 04-25-2009, 1:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As for self defense, if it was good enough for a Green beret, it's good enough for you!

Heck, they've been making .22 handguns for self-defense for decades. Did our heads get thicker, or what?

Old 04-25-2009, 1:19 PM

My wife shoots 22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 223, 7.62x39 and shotguns all with no problems.
IMO 9mm is the smallest handgun cartridge to even be considered for home defense.
Teach then to shoot a 20g shotgun, perfect for home w/slugs.

Dillon reloading basics Vids here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=190727
Old 04-25-2009, 1:24 PM

We're guys. We're jerks. Period.
Old 04-25-2009, 1:29 PM

When it was time to get my wife her pistol she decided she wanted me to buy it (she didn't want to go through the hassle of the HSC to buy just 1 gun). I did most of the talking because I saw the guy behind the counter was trying to push a M&P 9 compact on her. I think a full size is best if not being used for CC, a little easier handle while shooting and easier to rack the slide. He stated that most women like small pistols because they are less intimidating, and at first my wife agreed with that logic. I then explained to her how smaller handguns don't handle as well and asked her to try a full size. My wife liked the way it felt and trusted me on the handling issue. Since my wife had almost no shooting experience, I took the gun first to verify it was unloaded then handed it to her. Over a year later and she is still happy with it. Now, the decision about which to get was hers, I prefer Glocks to M&P's, but that doesn't mean that she couldn't use my help or that I think she isn't a capable person. If I did, I wouldn't have encouraged her to buy a gun in the first place.

There are some things my wife trusts me to handle, ie which vehicle/appliance/electronics to pick and I trust her with what investments to make and what schools our kids should go to. When we go to talk to our advisor she does most of the talking.
Old 04-25-2009, 1:43 PM

my concern with women especially older ones is ability to work the slide.
Old 04-25-2009, 3:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
I am building my lady a Ar pistol in 5.56 as we speak to protect her at home.... So I am with you.
Very kind of you, but the 5.56 is horrible round for home defense.

Furthermore, the whole bullet button idea also kills the capability of quickly reloading/removing the mag in a stressful situation.
Old 04-25-2009, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
That would be my wife and daughter, neither one of them feel they can work the slide although they are strong enough to. So to keep the peace I got my daughter a revolver and my wife uses one of mine. The wife said I own enough revolvers for her to choose from and my daughter wanted her own and chose the new Ruger .327 magnum.
Anyway I look at it as long as they are comfortable with it and will use it, it works for me.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 04-25-2009, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
Very kind of you, but the 5.56 is horrible round for home defense.

Furthermore, the whole bullet button idea also kills the capability of quickly reloading/removing the mag in a stressful situation.
Nah frangible rds and she can outshoot me and most others so I think she is good to go unless 11 people come into the house.
Old 04-25-2009, 8:28 PM

My wife said the other day

"Really like that Springfield 1911."

Good girl.

My friend's AR-15 scared the hell out of her, however.
a global banking oligarchy determined to shipwreck the economies of the world
and feast on its corpse.
Old 04-25-2009, 9:38 PM
C3 Leader

It's refreshing to always read these fun-filled posts from you gents. I appreciate it when the sales people talk to me directly when I'm trying my best not to drool over a gun I see under the glass instead of frantically searching for the man I'm with to talk to him instead.

I have nothing against .22s, but like most of the women on here, I also own a few CF pistols because I want to get better at shooting 3-gun matches.

As for home defense, I usually opt for a fork... it's that "up close and personal" that gets me going!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:00 PM

how about a ... .223 heh.

But yea regarding the husband answering for the wife.. or bf gf.. you shoulda been like.. "Sir, i was asking HER the question not you."

itll make him shutup and her smile =p
Old 04-25-2009, 11:34 PM

A .22 worked pretty good on Robert Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, James Brady, etc.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyrlp10 View Post
It's refreshing to always read these fun-filled posts from you gents. I appreciate it when the sales people talk to me directly when I'm trying my best not to drool over a gun I see under the glass instead of frantically searching for the man I'm with to talk to him instead.

I have nothing against .22s, but like most of the women on here, I also own a few CF pistols because I want to get better at shooting 3-gun matches.

As for home defense, I usually opt for a fork... it's that "up close and personal" that gets me going!
... are you single? Marry me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwynn View Post
how about a ... .223 heh.

But yea regarding the husband answering for the wife.. or bf gf.. you shoulda been like.. "Sir, i was asking HER the question not you."

itll make him shutup and her smile =p
Still gotta be civil though and that would piss them off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
A .22 worked pretty good on Robert Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, James Brady, etc.

Didnt STOP regan though Luckily
Old 04-26-2009, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

I figure the best thing to do is let her find out for herself what will work for her. I took her to a range with rentals and told her to pick out whichever guns seemed interesting to her. She didn't like the ones she picked out, but fell in love with the Ruger SP101, after trying it on a whim.

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 04-26-2009, 3:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I usually pick stuff I'm somewhat familiar with, and go from there.

My wife managed 25 rounds of .357 magnum from a 3" SP101 in one sitting, so the girls aren't as frail as a lot of guys think they are.

Our hands were killing us after that... and I'm toughened a lot from being a mechanic.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 04-26-2009, 4:55 PM

I would love to find a woman who knows how to handle a gun. Especially something bigger than a 22! You go ladies. Yes I'm single.
Old 04-26-2009, 5:14 PM

i think all women should have side by side 12 guages for HD. I wouldnt piss her off
Old 04-26-2009, 7:16 PM

I would probably be the guy who asks for a .22 for the wife. I have several pistols in several different calibers and she likes shooting the .22 ..... She likes shooting but to be honest she doesnt like the recoil or sound that my other handguns produce. She knows how to use them all but she prefers to shoot a .22 when we go to the range. I sure hope in an home invasion situation she doesn't reach for the .22
Old 04-26-2009, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Not to stir the pot here, but I would match my model 317 S & W Kit Gun with 8 shots in the revolver using an Aguila Super Sniper .60 grain .22lr round against any handgun out there. This round from this gun penetrate flesh farther and with MORE damage than the big boys. In the hands of my beloved, it's manageable not heavy and has every bit of stopping power she needs.

I carry this little firecracker in the shop and will get off all rounds before you get your gun out of the holster. Just one mans informed but humble opinion.

Golden State Tactical <---click here >

An FORMER Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Haha, I started my 5 foot 3 inch 105 pound freind girl on a Mossy 500 with a 3 inch buck shot, she now knows she can shoot anything lol, my 60 year old mother wont shot anything but a G-21, I HATE WOMEN WHO SHOOT SIG 9MM!!!! I dont get it, everytime I see a women with a Sig 9MM shes putting the damn bullets in the same damn hole I just dont get it lol,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

My GF wants an AR pistol. Go figure.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
LOL, good one

...wtf am I doing in the ladies forum
Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa View Post
Both my Mother in law and my wife could not pull the slide back on my new XD40 . I have video of my wife shooting my .40 and its not pretty lol