Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-08-2013, 1:37 PM
Banned

Default .45 Super... out of a G36?

45 Super 230 Grain Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point

Quote:
Best .45 Ammo You Can Buy

Richard (indianapolis, IN) 11/4/2012 1:36 PM

I have a Glock 36 with an upgraded recoil spring (23lbs) and it feeds this ammo like a champ. I've run 200 rounds through my gun so far and haven't had a single problem despite being told by "experts" that a G36 couldn't handle this higher pressure load. The combination of Speer Gold Dots with this incredibly hot load makes this the best .45 load out there. You could step it up to .460 Rowland but who wants to carry a gun IWB with a compensator. This ammo upgraded my 20 oz. single stack .45 to shoot ballistics in the 10mm/.357 magnum range which is amazing. I tell everyone I know about Underwood and how amazingly affordable they have made premium hollow point ammunition.
.45 230 gr. Speer Gold Dots at probably 1050 out of the 3.8" Bbl?

Yikes! I think I'm in Love...
Old 02-08-2013, 3:07 PM

Not familiar with .45 Super, is it something like +P+?
Old 02-08-2013, 5:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Super

45 with higher pressure rated case.

45 ACP 21K psi
45 +P 23K psi
45 Super 28.5K psi
Old 02-08-2013, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i would not recommend it
Old 02-08-2013, 5:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i would not recommend it
Not for everyday carry, might be a blast to shoot though.
Old 02-08-2013, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't 45 Super give the .45 round about the same ballistics as 10mm no?
Old 02-08-2013, 6:33 PM

It will fire, but it will most likely beat the hell out of it. Plus 45 super is not all that great compared to the increase in pressure or possible damage. I'd rather just get a 10mm... Or for something more "exotic", check out 40 super.
Old 02-08-2013, 6:45 PM

Please take pictures of your mangled hand afterward. Probably won't be as bad as the guy that tried to hammer a roll pin with a .50 bmg round (primer first) but it should be entertaining none the less.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:28 PM

I've only shot .45 Super out of a full size HK USP Tactical with a 2-3 lb. heavier recoil spring. Not only did it push much harder than most .45 ACP, but it added a massive muzzle flip as well. Don't even want to think about what kind brand of idiot would think it was a good idea shooting that in a G36...
And menstrual cramps? Seriously, you [nrakid88] have complained about more things here than I think I have ever seen in a single thread ...air quality, noise, discomfort from glasses, "feminine attributes," and "macho masculinity," and sexism (there's an ironic disconnect here somewhere), compassion, grammar, people "tearing you down," your more-sensitive-than-normal ears, people who you perceive to be recoil-sensitive, how you "FEEL", liberals........ are you for real???
Old 02-08-2013, 8:31 PM

if you reload them you can use .308 brass.You have to cut it then trim it.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
I've only shot .45 Super out of a full size HK USP Tactical with a 2-3 lb. heavier recoil spring. Not only did it push much harder than most .45 ACP, but it added a massive muzzle flip as well. Don't even want to think about what kind brand of idiot would think it was a good idea shooting that in a G36...
Mr. Xanatos, allow me to introduce you to Red Devil...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 PM

I'm hoping the OP is just copy+pasting that review from the ammo vendor's website. There are many other frames you can shoot .45 Super with... the Glock 36 is just not smart.
And menstrual cramps? Seriously, you [nrakid88] have complained about more things here than I think I have ever seen in a single thread ...air quality, noise, discomfort from glasses, "feminine attributes," and "macho masculinity," and sexism (there's an ironic disconnect here somewhere), compassion, grammar, people "tearing you down," your more-sensitive-than-normal ears, people who you perceive to be recoil-sensitive, how you "FEEL", liberals........ are you for real???
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yea i fired the supers out of a springfield heavy barrel and it wrenched my wrist almost like a 44 magnum i coudlnt imagine firing them in a gun that i couldn't even get my pinkie on the grip
Old 02-09-2013, 5:51 PM
Banned

WTH y'all - 600 Lb-Ft out of a 20 oz. Glock and all y'alls cheese gets soft...?

Actually, I'm very happy w/ the 230 gr HST +P for goblin duty. It gives me 5" Bbl. performance out of the 3.8" Bbl'ed G36.

Now, as a trail gun where maybe a big hog, or maybe a panther or bear might need to be dispatched and 18+" of penetration was desired? I thought, at first pass, that it looked very interestin'.

So does the 200 gr. .40 at 1050 for the G23.

The guy in the post says he has 200 rounds through his w/ only a spring upgrade. If so, that's a hell of a lot cheaper and an all together better kit gun than say a whole 'nother 10mm.

Permission to un-twist those panties now...
Old 02-09-2013, 6:00 PM

It's not so much a 20 oz. Glock that's the problem. It's I can't even get my entire hand on the Glock that's the problem. I don't mind hot loads for defensive carry and I even keep a mag of .45 Super JHP for when I do carry my USP Tactical, but I wouldn't even consider shooting it out of a frame where I can't get all 5 fingers on the gun. Even then it's not my primary mag. I keep it in position 1 so if I ever end up shooting a full mag, the big boys come out.
Old 02-09-2013, 6:47 PM

I use 45 super brass from Starline for this. Actually, I only use 45 super brass, even for regular 45 ACP loads. This helps me eliminate the potential of accidentally reloading ACP brass with Super loads.
Starline's 45 super brass has a thicker web.
Even with the thicker web, the Glock's not fully-supported chamber has worried me a few times while shooting the 45 super.
Recoil spring is a non-issue. Just drop in a $5 heavier spring for that.

In my guns with fully-supported chambers, the 45 super is an awesome round to shoot. I load to about 700 ft lb.

Check these links for more info and loads.
http://www.realguns.com/archives/090.htm
http://www.realguns.com/loads/45Super.htm

"A retreat by the United States from Vietnam would be a Communist victory, a victory of massive proportions and would lead to World War III"
- Richard Nixon, May 1966:

Last edited by limitdown; 02-09-2013 at 6:58 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post

sounds just like the 451 detonics magnum from the early 80's

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 02-09-2013, 6:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not so much a 20 oz. Glock that's the problem. It's I can't even get my entire hand on the Glock that's the problem. I don't mind hot loads for defensive carry and I even keep a mag of .45 Super JHP for when I do carry my USP Tactical, but I wouldn't even consider shooting it out of a frame where I can't get all 5 fingers on the gun. Even then it's not my primary mag. I keep it in position 1 so if I ever end up shooting a full mag, the big boys come out.
The G36 has replaced my G23's as SD prime. Carries a lot better and 6+1 and a reload or Two is fine by me. As a kit/trail gun? you can forget you even have it.

My hands are also "Glock-sized", as both the G23 and G36 w/ the stock mag finger-rest fit as if tailor-made.

I'm also fine w/ ~ Three aimed rounds in Two seconds, so a little extra recoil/muzzle-flip is OK, too. It would help mitigate some of the wear'n'tear if you let it come up, and should have plenty of slide velocity left to cycle.

Mean bit of kit if it worked out.

Last edited by Red Devil; 02-09-2013 at 7:00 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post
There's no need to trim or try to "wildcat" any cartridges. Just buy 45 Super brass from Starline for $201.50 per 1,000
https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...5-Super-Brass/

I keep my expensive .308 brass as they are and reload them to shoot in my semi-auto M14

"A retreat by the United States from Vietnam would be a Communist victory, a victory of massive proportions and would lead to World War III"
- Richard Nixon, May 1966:
Old 02-09-2013, 7:41 PM

I suppose it wouldn't matter too much for me if I could get all my fingers on the baby Glock. Glad you were able to find something that works for you. I'll stick to full size, 2 lb guns for my .45 Super shooting needs
Old 02-10-2013, 1:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I suppose it wouldn't matter too much for me if I could get all my fingers on the baby Glock. Glad you were able to find something that works for you. I'll stick to full size, 2 lb guns for my .45 Super shooting needs
Not really a "baby Glock". The G36 has almost the identical form-factor as the G23 compact save a bit thinner in the grip and the last finger has a mag rest instead of one on the stock.

And I said I was lookin' into it...
Old 02-10-2013, 2:05 PM
Banned

I love the little G36, it's the perfect companion to my G21.