Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-25-2012, 3:45 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt1 View Post
CCW for Federal LEO likely or not?

Agency recently made policy that prohibits carrying our creds when off duty and not authorized to off carry (obviously). I know HR218 (LEOSA) applies but don't want to violate policy so looking for CCW. I reside in Stockton.
You may have a chance though he may contact your employer and if they do not approve turn you down.

Old 08-25-2012, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt1 View Post
CCW for Federal LEO likely or not?

Agency recently made policy that prohibits carrying our creds when off duty and not authorized to off carry (obviously). I know HR218 (LEOSA) applies but don't want to violate policy so looking for CCW. I reside in Stockton.
I am curious which agency came up with that policy.

I know a few Fed LEO's, whose agency policies prohibit the carrying of anything other than their issue weapon, have obtained Permits to carry more concealable pistols or compact revolvers.

Call the Sheriff and talk to their CCW coordinator…

Last edited by HowardW56; 08-25-2012 at 4:12 PM..
Old 08-25-2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post

I know a few Fed LEO's, whose agency policies prohibit the carrying of anything other than their issue weapon, have obtained Permits to carry more concealable pistols or compact revolvers.

DLA. The policy prohibiting us from carrying a loaded concealed weapon off duty has been in place for a while. However, this new policy prohibiting us from carrying our credentials off duty is new. It seems as though they had to make this new policy for reprimand reasons in order to cover their *** after the incident that happened in Modesto.

I will call the Sheriff's office next week. I'm planning of providing both policies to him in addition to a Opinion letter signed by the Governor (he was the Attorney General when he signed) back in 07 stating that we are authorized to carry a loaded concealed weapon.

Thank you and I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-29-2012, 8:20 PM

When I took my CCW class for Sac County (2010) there was a guy who was renewing his license through SJ County. The guy was a bank manager and had a side business making jewelry. I'm not sure if that was enough justification or if he had the right connections. Funny thing is that on my application I noted that my family owns a business in Stockton (yes, we carry cash) and we have rental properties. I think the Sheriff's Dept was thinking "you had me at Stockton".
Old 09-04-2012, 6:31 AM

Officer's from both Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore and Defense Logistics Agency in Tracy, are not cops! They are Security Guards, that is why they can't carry off duty.
Old 09-04-2012, 7:10 AM

You may have a better chance applying with Stockton PD. Not sure is they issue or refer you to the Sheriff. If you are not CA POST Police, Sheriff Moore more than likely will not approve you. Sheriff Moore will request a notification letter on letterhead from your employer. Do you have a link to the Opinion letter you are referring to ?
Old 09-04-2012, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post

^ Is this in San Joaquin County ?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Federal Law Enforcement such as Department of Energy or Defense Logistics Agency are a joke!! They get good training, decent pay and benefits but that's it. They have less authority than a Walmart Security Guard.
Old 10-04-2012, 1:30 PM

I was talking with a guy at the local gun store and he was telling me if I live in the city I would have to go through local PD...but if I live out side the city I would have to go through sjc...is this true...and has anyone tryed recently...
Old 10-04-2012, 4:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 srt View Post
I was talking with a guy at the local gun store and he was telling me if I live in the city I would have to go through local PD...but if I live out side the city I would have to go through sjc...is this true...and has anyone tryed recently...
Not true but IMHO it would be a waste of time and money to try at the SO

Old 10-04-2012, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
Not true but IMHO it would be a waste of time and money to try at the SO
so I could go through the SPD...has anyone tried going through them...
Old 10-05-2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
I got the paperwork from the city, talk about paper work & B.S. You would have to pay to get psych evaluation and you could still be denied.

I got my CCW from the SO. He wanted to see a GC other then just because it my right. Had a long interview, several phone call and letters of clarifying my work.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
so I could go through the SPD...has anyone tried going through them...
Start at the beginning of this thread and you'll have your answer.

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -Khan

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift."-J.P.S.
Old 10-18-2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Jam View Post
I got the paperwork from the city, talk about paper work & B.S. You would have to pay to get psych evaluation and you could still be denied.

I got my CCW from the SO. He wanted to see a GC other then just because it my right. Had a long interview, several phone call and letters of clarifying my work.
did you get from the SO or are applying for it ?
Old 10-19-2012, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz dr View Post
did you get from the SO or are applying for it ?
I did get it from the SO in 2011. I’m filling out the paper work for the renewal. I just hope the renewal process isn't as tedious.

Good Luck
Old 11-14-2012, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Jam View Post
I did get it from the SO in 2011. I’m filling out the paper work for the renewal. I just hope the renewal process isn't as tedious.

Good Luck
How did your renewal go?
Old 11-23-2012, 7:59 PM

Just curious if there is a pattern to Sheriff Moore's denials as to the gender of the applicant?
Old 12-05-2012, 5:40 PM

I notice that Stockon PD web site have CCW info that it never had online. also they are looking more friendly with there requirements to what it was in the past. Any one can share more? Is it time for stocktonian to apply at P.D?
Old 12-07-2012, 7:58 AM

Considering the murder rate and armed robbery in Stockton, maybe the PD realizes it's lost the war on crime.
Old 12-09-2012, 2:35 PM

The only change to the SPD policy is that they now require $$ upfront. The wording of the good cause requirement is exactly as it was prior to Chief Jones.
Old 12-16-2012, 4:31 PM

Anyone think this helps our case?
http://lonelyconservative.com/2012/1...mall-shooting/
Old 12-18-2012, 9:33 PM

Chief Jones is under fire (no pun intended) with all the homicides and armed robberies so it looks like he's decided to take back the CCW issuing for the city of Stockton back from Sheriff Moore. It looks like it's going to be easier, otherwise I can't imagine why he wouldn't just keep passing the buck to Moore unless he recognizes that he's just not giving them out to all the people who deserve them. I'm applying after the new year. Wish me luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 6:57 PM
Banned

I live in Escalon, I actually have a Riverbank mailing address which is in Stanislaus county. I do not know the best route to success for a CCW. I can relocate to Stanislaus county, but the interview schedule is currently over one year out. I went to the Escalon Police department today hoping to talk to their police chief or somebody who could give me some input as to whether they'd issue to a 13 year resident in an unincorporated area or if they'd pass me off to San Joaquin Sheriff's department...

It is my understanding that San Joaquin is a tuff county to obtain a CCW.

What are your guys thoughts? Should I relocate and hope for an opening in the interview schedule?

Or head down the path of Escalon PD / San Joaquin sheriff?
Old 12-29-2012, 7:31 AM

VMCDonnell:

Having spoken with a number of people in SPD who are "in the know" about LTC, I do not believe that the change in policy indicates an intent to issue more LTC. If anything, the new policy is a way to cover their cost up-front of processing the application... regardless of if it is approved or denied. That being said, it never hurts to apply and you will never know until you try.

Sublime_AC:
I would recommend talking to/applying with Escalon PD first. While I have not heard of them actively issuing, it may be as simple as no one has asked. Like I said before, you never know until you try.
Old 12-29-2012, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime_AC View Post
I live in Escalon, I actually have a Riverbank mailing address which is in Stanislaus county. I do not know the best route to success for a CCW. I can relocate to Stanislaus county, but the interview schedule is currently over one year out. I went to the Escalon Police department today hoping to talk to their police chief or somebody who could give me some input as to whether they'd issue to a 13 year resident in an unincorporated area or if they'd pass me off to San Joaquin Sheriff's department...

It is my understanding that San Joaquin is a tuff county to obtain a CCW.

What are your guys thoughts? Should I relocate and hope for an opening in the interview schedule?

Or head down the path of Escalon PD / San Joaquin sheriff?
If you don't live in the city, you can't apply there.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
If you don't live in the city, you can't apply there.
This is what I do not understand, I purchased my home here in Escalon 13 years ago. I have lived in the same home, paid taxes, supported the schools and community, yet I do not get to use the services of the Escalon PD?

There is ONE sheriff on patrol for the rural San Joaquin county area that I live in. ONE... He covers from Tracy, through Ripon, to Escalon and back to Stockton. Geographically this is a HUGE area of farmland, with what amounts to almost zero police coverage.

I go for walks in the rural area, if something were to happen I would be screwed. I called the sheriff once in an emergency situation, firearm pointed at bad guy, 45 minute response. So I know I am on my own, my county sheriff will likely deny my CCW and the local PD will not give me one because I am not in the incorporated part of town??? This to me amounts to a tremendous pile of bulli*****...

Kalifornia is so screwed in how they handle CCW. In light of last years shootings and our liberal minded politicians I do not see this getting better.
Old 12-29-2012, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
This is what I do not understand, I purchased my home here in Escalon 13 years ago. I have lived in the same home, paid taxes, supported the schools and community, yet I do not get to use the services of the Escalon PD?

There is ONE sheriff on patrol for the rural San Joaquin county area that I live in. ONE... He covers from Tracy, through Ripon, to Escalon and back to Stockton. Geographically this is a HUGE area of farmland, with what amounts to almost zero police coverage.

I go for walks in the rural area, if something were to happen I would be screwed. I called the sheriff once in an emergency situation, firearm pointed at bad guy, 45 minute response. So I know I am on my own, my county sheriff will likely deny my CCW and the local PD will not give me one because I am not in the incorporated part of town??? This to me amounts to a tremendous pile of bulli*****...

Kalifornia is so screwed in how they handle CCW. In light of last years shootings and our liberal minded politicians I do not see this getting better.
You sound like you are in a similar situation as me except I am not in an actual town. I live between Farmington and Escalon. A little more than a year ago, I had some deputies out because of some vandalism and trespassing issues. The deputy asked me if I had guns. I asked him why he wanted to know. He said that it could take them 30 minutes or more to get out here and that I should be prepared to take care of myself and my family and that if I didn’t have any arms, I should consider getting one.

You talk about taking walks in the country, that is one of the things I put in my good cause statement. Specifically I talked about a neighbor that was attacked by a dog when walking. The sheriff wanted specific names and dates which I couldn’t give him. I am a volunteer firefighter out here and we have at least one call for a dog attack while someone was walking since I was turned down for my CCW.

Old 12-29-2012, 5:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
You sound like you are in a similar situation as me except I am not in an actual town. I live between Farmington and Escalon. A little more than a year ago, I had some deputies out because of some vandalism and trespassing issues. The deputy asked me if I had guns. I asked him why he wanted to know. He said that it could take them 30 minutes or more to get out here and that I should be prepared to take care of myself and my family and that if I didn’t have any arms, I should consider getting one.

You talk about taking walks in the country, that is one of the things I put in my good cause statement. Specifically I talked about a neighbor that was attacked by a dog when walking. The sheriff wanted specific names and dates which I couldn’t give him. I am a volunteer firefighter out here and we have at least one call for a dog attack while someone was walking since I was turned down for my CCW.
I am on the outskirts of Escalon as you get closer to Riverbank. It's pretty rural for sure. When I go for walks I carry my knife and quality pepper spray. One on one I have no problems, but if there are multiple dogs / perps or a firearm in the hands of a criminal I would be toast. I enjoy my walks and I don't believe I should have to be relatively disarmed to take them.

As for owning a firearm to defend yourself, yeah it's a must, the police coverage out here is basically nonexistent.
Old 12-29-2012, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I live in Manteca and want to apply.

Do I submit my application to Manteca PD or SJ Sheriffs Office?

Since one of the reasons I have for good cause is my work and my work brings me to Stockton, then I'm thinking Sheriff.

I would appreciate any advice.
Old 12-29-2012, 8:19 PM
Banned

Start with the PD and if they say go to the Sheriff then go to the Sheriff. Does your work have any policies with regards to firearms?

That's one of the issues I have... I commute to the bay area, I am in rural areas during my commute with high end computer gear almost daily and I work strange hours. BUT... My employer has a strict no firearms policy, so I cannot use this as justification since they will certainly be contacting my employer if I bring this up.

Crafting your just cause is the second most important thing behind having a clean record.
Old 12-29-2012, 8:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Start with the PD and if they say go to the Sheriff then go to the Sheriff. Does your work have any policies with regards to firearms?

That's one of the issues I have... I commute to the bay area, I am in rural areas during my commute with high end computer gear almost daily and I work strange hours. BUT... My employer has a strict no firearms policy, so I cannot use this as justification since they will certainly be contacting my employer if I bring this up.

Crafting your just cause is the second most important thing behind having a clean record.
Good point.
I need to find that out on Monday.
When I go to the Manteca PD, who would I ask?
Old 12-30-2012, 1:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHOD View Post
Good point.
When you get to the clerk at the counter, or behind bullet proof glass just tell them you are interested in filing for a concealed carry permit, they should be able to direct you to the appropriate personnel.
Old 12-31-2012, 7:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHOD View Post
Good point.
I don't know if the Manteca PD CCW process has been changed, but I know when I applied less than a year ago (and was denied because my good cause of self defense was not good enough), the process was inefficient and expensive.

Before they accepted my CCW packet, I had to:
(1) Purchase my firearm (for my S&W M&P .40 Compact, $550), holster, & ammo;
(2) Attend PC 832 firearms training (approx. $400); and
(3) Attend one of Manteca PD's two CCW firearms qualifications sessions (held in spring and fall of each year) ($25).

My own cost was much higher because I also bought (and filed to carry) a S&W M&P .40 full-frame at the same time (another $550).

After all that was said and done and the CCW packet was submitted, the police captain who processes CCW applications interviewed me (after interviewing my references) and said that although everything looked OK, my good cause statement was probably not good enough, because my situation was not unlike every other city resident.

Ultimately, the police chief went along with his captain's recommendation, and I was denied for lack of good cause.

I pointed out to the chief that I wished I could have found out sooner that pure self defense would not suffice, because of how much money I had already spent on the CCW process. He indicated that he understood my concern, and that he would review the process.

Last edited by elness; 01-04-2013 at 2:42 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

Default Withrow for Sheriff

Good Morning! My name is Patrick Withrow and I'm running for Sheriff of San Joaquin County. I have been following your comments for many months and I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you at different events. I just wanted to let you know that on March 3rd, 2013 I will be having a "Taco Feed" at Amblers Hall in Stockton from 1700-to 2000hrs (5:00pm to 8:00 pm). Its $20 a head (all you can eat) and kids eat free. I would love the opportunity to speak with you face to face. You can get to know me and find out where I stand on many of the issues that are very important to you, me and our families. For more info about me you can go to www.withrowforsheriff.com. For more info about the Taco Dinner please go to my Facebook. I look forward to meeting all of you.
Old 02-07-2013, 2:23 PM

still no comments re Mr Withrow?
“A warrior putting on his sword for battle should not boast like a warrior who has already won" 1 Kings 20:11
Old 02-07-2013, 2:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, I haven't had a lot of time to check out his website. Also, I noticed that after nearly a year, he has only the one post. Reserving judgement until I have an informed opinion.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Have you taken The Pistolero Challenge?
Old 02-07-2013, 2:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Tagged.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6withrow View Post
Good Morning! My name is Patrick Withrow and I'm running for Sheriff of San Joaquin County. I have been following your comments for many months and I have had the pleasure of meeting some of you at different events. I just wanted to let you know that on March 3rd, 2013 I will be having a "Taco Feed" at Amblers Hall in Stockton from 1700-to 2000hrs (5:00pm to 8:00 pm). Its $20 a head (all you can eat) and kids eat free. I would love the opportunity to speak with you face to face. You can get to know me and find out where I stand on many of the issues that are very important to you, me and our families. For more info about me you can go to www.withrowforsheriff.com. For more info about the Taco Dinner please go to my Facebook. I look forward to meeting all of you.
Commit to SHALL ISSUE?

If your going up against the Moore political machine you might as well go all the way.

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -Khan

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift."-J.P.S.
Old 02-11-2013, 5:41 AM

It appears the links to prior just cause statements are down. Are there new links?

I'm getting a G23 soon and want to apply for CCW in SJ.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeiseGuy View Post
It appears the links to prior just cause statements are down. Are there new links?

I'm getting a G23 soon and want to apply for CCW in SJ.
The link worked for me.....

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/dow...GC(subset).pdf