Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-07-2013, 1:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Talking The Garand Bug has bitten... once again!

Over the decades, I've run hot and cold on the Garands, always making the mistake of selling them off (Including an Ultra-match built by McCoy which was shooting a 1" MOA... Doh!).

On a whim, I picked this up off the Marketplace last week. Seller was asking $500:

After taking it home and spending 4 hours cleaning a few decades of carbon and abuse off it , I started spec-ing it out.

Serial # 1,159,XXX
All parts correct (!), including barrel (!), excluding the winter safety installed. no CMP marks on the stock, no reweld, no gunsmith marks. Original Nickel plated Oiler in the stock.

The action passes the 60 Degree test, but the piston specs under min dim (which would explain all the carbon buildup inside the stock!). Everything measures good, so I think with a new piston installed, I'll be GTG.

Heck of a shame to see an early 1943 M1 cut down like this, but I promise to take good care of it and get a correct safety on it!
Old 01-07-2013, 1:16 PM

Welcome back to the addiction! Enjoy
Old 01-07-2013, 1:39 PM
Banned

looks um, pretty short
Old 01-07-2013, 1:40 PM
Banned

think itll still fire like that?
Old 01-07-2013, 1:45 PM

Congratulation on your new rifle. That is a shame someone would cut an original barrel. Looks like it has a lock bar rear sight too so that is nice. When you say all parts correct did you check bolt heat lot # to match the receiver serial #? Any 65 series parts on the rifle?

You need to take it outside and get a real camera not cell phone and take good pics and post it so we can salivate all over our monitor.
Old 01-07-2013, 4:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliman545 View Post
think itll still fire like that?
It looks like a typical "Tanker" cut down. I've measured everything good and it passes the tilt test. The gas piston will need to be replaced (which measured .5245 all around). I figured I'd send that out to Columbus Machine. I'm also waiting on a box from Brownell's which has my new 30-06 headspace gauges in it, which I will of course confirm good before I shoot it. Now I just need to look for a correct safety for it, as that winter safety is an abomination!

As for the bolt heat lot... oops... I guess I misspoke on the entire rifle being correct... it's a post war 6.08 Mil. Z5 lot... well heck, as I recall, it's already in a "noncollectable" status with the cut down job, so if that bolt passes headspace, it stays on this shooter!

As for photos, this was one of the seller's shots. Once I get it fixed up, get the wood waxed up and get a Turner sling on it, I'll post some new shots of it!
Old 01-07-2013, 4:56 PM

Even with a post war bolt, it still have a lock bar sight and that alone is A1 in my book. I just love lock bar as it speaks WWII.

Can't wait for the pics. Congratulation once again.
Old 01-07-2013, 5:33 PM

Nice tanker rifle.

My Garands are my favorite rifles to shoot by far. One of these days I plan to pick up a M1D from the CMP before they are gone. Hell I might even sell one of my black rifles to fund it.
Old 01-07-2013, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

so your the one who claimed that Tanker last week!
congrats!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 9:35 PM

There is a booth at the Crossroads gun shows with boxes of Garand and Springfield parts. The guy said he does Ventura, Costa Mesa and Ontario. A safety should be an easy find.
Old 01-08-2013, 4:04 AM
Veteran Member

just another one of 6 million