Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-21-2018, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Default HK USP .45 Tactical

person I know bought a HK USP Tactical .45 in 1990's from a local FFL store front shop. He walked into a shop this week to ask if they would put it up for sale. Of course they freaked out and said get that thing out of here.

What options does he have?

Sell out of state? But would need to have an ffl who would accept direct from him through 2nd day air FedEx. Find a FFL with AW license here to mail to a ffl out of state?

Buy barrel with no thread...include original barrel with shipping or throw the matching barrel in the garbage/ leave it in lost and found basket.

Sell to LEO "as-is" he has original mags also.

Its hard to believe they have outlawed something legally bought. I guess its like all the folks who have mak-90s..Bushamsters ect who never registered / didn't know and are screwed instate.

Thank you for any direction/help

selling - pu sniper-Finn m27-
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post21918912
Old 02-21-2018, 8:14 PM

tell him to buy a barrel with no thread from HKparts.net then sell it here on calguns and when its time for PPT just give the threaded barrel to the buyer. easier than shipping it and at least you'll also have more people interested than selling it to just a LEO.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Figured something like that.

Thanks for input

Old 02-22-2018, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

should get a good price if you have the two barrels. I mean your freind
Old 02-22-2018, 7:00 AM

If he has the original mags from the 1990s, then they're 10 rounders. Mags were limited to 10 rounds NATIONWIDE (and not just Cali) from 1994 (which was before the USP Tactical was sold to Civilian markets) until 2004 under the Clinton ban. Up until 2004, there were some 12 round magazines kicking around at crazy prices -- but conventional wisdom was that they were magazines manufactured post-1994 for overseas or military markets that made their way to the U.S.

I bought one of the first USP Tacticals. Since it's a shooter and not a safe queen, I had the threads milled off. There weren't any good replacement barrel options when California's 2000 ban kicked in, and I decided to go featureless rather than register it.

Last edited by SamIAm; 02-22-2018 at 7:02 AM..
Old 02-22-2018, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

He does have the 10s and 12's. Looks like he needs to go buy spare barrel.

Old 02-22-2018, 8:38 AM

For Post#2, just being a LEO isn't an exemption from buying a threaded barrel pistol. Just a fyi comment.
Old 02-22-2018, 8:44 AM

You can however DROS just the frame and sell the slide as parts.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
If he has the original mags from the 1990s, then they're 10 rounders. Mags were limited to 10 rounds NATIONWIDE (and not just Cali) from 1994 (which was before the USP Tactical was sold to Civilian markets) until 2004 under the Clinton ban. Up until 2004, there were some 12 round magazines kicking around at crazy prices -- but conventional wisdom was that they were magazines manufactured post-1994 for overseas or military markets that made their way to the U.S.

I bought one of the first USP Tacticals. Since it's a shooter and not a safe queen, I had the threads milled off. There weren't any good replacement barrel options when California's 2000 ban kicked in, and I decided to go featureless rather than register it.
12 round LE/Military marked mags were available with USP's for LE personnel here in the US during the Clinton ban era. There are actually quite a few around.
Old 02-22-2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonehorseman View Post
12 round LE/Military marked mags were available with USP's for LE personnel here in the US during the Clinton ban era. There are actually quite a few around.
You are 100% correct. To clarify, I was referring to unmarked 12 round mags that were kicking around prior to 2004 and that were offered for sale on the non LE/Military market.